Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it should be pretty cheap. the entire point of cancer is that it doesnt stop growing!

let me just go to the lab and clip off a bit of our StJo line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
amazingly neat line of tipped cars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would guess apple's lawyers made them acknowledge that they can't prevent 100% of tracking internet-wide, just put up obstacles to facebook doing it through ios. zeroing or randomizing the idfa doesn't totally eliminate tracking or the possibility of facebook doing something surreptitious and server-side to continue tracking ios users

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

i dream of a world where it was apple and rim/qnx instead of apple and google/java

rim could have done it, too, if they'd pivoted immediately to qnx and their touchscreen os when the iphone came out instead of saying "lol apple must be lying about the battery life, fake news"

rim's culture at the time could not have done that, they had built their entire product around minimum viable functionality at minimum bandwidth and maximum battery life and the iphone was the exact opposite. they'd have had to completely start over with not only the product itself but their entire development approach

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
internet pod

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remember when microsoft tried to rename podcasting to blogcasting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it has to be of 2 or more kotoba (that's japanese for headphone jacks)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bring back the toilet seat ibook

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fart simpson posted:

it’s called camouflage and cats evolved black fur specifically to blend in to televisions op

the cat was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if they want people to use Apple-approved wifi they shouldn’t have stopped making their own base stations

I don’t know what I’ll switch to if these die, are there still good base stations that don’t require a subscription

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ruffian Price posted:

guillotine if your living space isn't handled by a single access point

what if the volume is small enough but there’s WiFi-opaque internal surfaces

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lol if you didn't immediately knock down all of the walls in your house for unimpeded wifi

in my case it's the floor (duplex) so I would live in a perfect wifi cube with 30 foot ceilings

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it knows a lot of Brands but it also has a general rule that if you delete a capitalized word it will press shift for you on the first letter of the replacement, just in case you had typoed somebody's name or the beginning of a sentence or something. guess it's not smart enough to realize when it was the one that made the capitalizing decision in the first place

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:same:

i think search engines just ignore periods so i leave them in

if there are periods and no spaces in the entry it will be assumed to be a domain name and doesn't go to the search engine

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we got a dyson the other day, it's pretty needs suiting so far

it has the cyclonic dust chamber and also a filter on the exhaust so it's not like that makes filtration totally unnecessary. plus it looks like a sci fi ray gun which is what's really important

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was less dumb when filesystems were simpler and there was no command line to fall back on to manipulate the "true" data. at the time of the os x transition it looked like the future was going to be network drives and database file systems and other things for which the direct manipulation/representation setup didn't make perfect sense any more

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
installed big sur but didn't realize the menu bar would assume the median color of my wallpaper, which is black. is there a way to force it to be light colored? this is hideous

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's less hideous now but I can see the bad menu bar better

looks like turning on the "reduce transparency" accessibility feature makes it turn white but I'd like to do it without, you know, reducing transparency system-wide

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
of course nowadays in the super advanced os x world you can't even see the scroll bars when not actively scrolling unless you change the default

e: this may be out of date, big sur has a new "choose to show scroll bars based on whether a mouse or trackpad is plugged in" option I haven't seen before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I must have toggled it and then forgot about it entirely other than the fact that the other option existed, then found it again while poking through big sur trying to fix the menu bar

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when I had a laptop I had it set to go to sleep if it was on battery but not if it was on wall power

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple has more than enough research dollars to make a foldable phone, then unlike samsung decide it isn't a viable product and throw it in a vault somewhere

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what's the big deal, we all have solid multilayered backup strategies that we consistently execute right

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/5/22215413/apple-patent-device-wireless-charging-iphone-macbook

just throwing all my apple stuff into a big pile and it's charged by morning

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
maybe listen to nature if you're biking for its own sake but if it's a utility or commute ride go ahead and cast those pods

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...is there a trump app? he should probably ban parler/gab and anything associated with the alt-right but I didn't know there was an official trump presence

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
see if it can slice bread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
look, if I got used to it over the course of several years, I don’t see why anyone else shouldn’t

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
16 is still better than 8 but from all reports the 16 is not nearly as constraining as you'd think it would be from other systems

hbm memory + hardwired ssd = swapping is extremely fast and much less impactful than before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remember when git's main hook was that it wasn't centralized? and now the only reason everyone uses git is because of the single centralized site that makes it worthwhile? good times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

No Mods No Masters posted:

someone help me budget this. my instruction set is dying

spend less die area on pipeline stages

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pram posted:

it should actually be like 'make more 14nm skus'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple podcast+, presumably

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's probably been pushed back so Foundation still premieres in the free period after a covid delay

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw the beastie boys documentary when it was a live stage show and it was p good there also

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah they've probably done some analytics and found that those are the peaks of usage. the low tier is for people who barely realize it's there, the middle tier is for people who don't use it a lot but don't want to get nagged about limits, the top tier is for people who want to run their entire life on it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a mac pro would be a good build server for a large ios team, I think our build system involves at least one trashcan pro

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a pricey high-end niche apple product, shocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

so the same price as apple music but with a bunch of other free stuff?

it should be like prime, one “I want the Apple stuff” service they keep expanding