Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

i got a homepod and a homepod mini and theyve been stuck at 'configuring' for hours and won't update or use icloud handoff poo poo, thanks timb

rumor is timb has lots of issues with his so lol good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kitten emergency posted:

i got a homepod and a homepod mini and theyve been stuck at 'configuring' for hours and won't update or use icloud handoff poo poo, thanks timb

my ex gave my son her unused apple iWatch and it’s trying to update and it says it’ll take 18 hours lol apple come on

The Management posted:

I went all ubiquiti recently, it’s been borat very nice but setup was a large amount of janitoring

it would be nice if these mother fuckers made some stuff designed for a home setup

like pay for the same quality i don’t mind, just make a whole lot more plug n play. having to an install a extra powered server device thing (gently caress paying for a cloud service for my own wifi) just so we could control more than one SSID on the one AP we have

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

it would be nice if these mother fuckers made some stuff designed for a home setup

like pay for the same quality i don’t mind, just make a whole lot more plug n play. having to an install a extra powered server device thing (gently caress paying for a cloud service for my own wifi) just so we could control more than one SSID on the one AP we have

their stuff is actually reasonably priced, and their management interface has great features, but none of them are very useful for home networking.

to be fair my setup was also very complicated. in-wall APs in every room and a nanobeam network extension to Miss Management’s new “office”. I would have saved myself a lot of trouble if I just pulled a cable from the house.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

echinopsis posted:

my ex gave my son her unused apple iWatch and it’s trying to update and it says it’ll take 18 hours lol apple come on

their dream machine is their all-in-one consumer focused device but you’ll pay for it.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

I don’t even own a tv

or a cat

god drat I am doing life wrong

if you have a dog instead you are doing life right

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

akadajet posted:

if you have a dog instead you are doing life right

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kitten emergency posted:

christmas day is a bit of a random shot at success for new apple product registration

FCKGW posted:

their dream machine is their all-in-one consumer focused device but you’ll pay for it.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

thats basically an airport or time capsule sans hdd at that price

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Perplx posted:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-sending-special-iphones-to-first-participants-in-security-research-device-program.2276893/ posted:

Apple is notifying the first researchers who will be receiving these special iPhones as of today, and the Cupertino company says that the devices will be sent out right away. Under the terms of the program, participating security researchers will be provided with iPhones that are on loan for one year, though it will be possible to extend the loan period.

The goal of the Security Research Device Program is to further improve the security of iOS, and Apple believes that the contributions of security researchers will assist the company in achieving its goal of increasing safety for consumers. Apple says that it values collaborating with independent researchers and appreciates the work they do on Apple platforms.

The iPhones Apple will provide are less locked down than consumer devices, which will make it easier for researchers to locate serious security vulnerabilities. These devices are as close as possible to production phones with the latest version of iOS and modern hardware. Researchers will not need to jailbreak the phones to do research, which will enable them to investigate platform security features, and they can run whatever tools they want to test the OS.

Program participants have access to extensive documentation and a dedicated forum with Apple engineers for collaborative purposes. The Security Research Device Program runs alongside the bug bounty program, so researchers who locate vulnerabilities can receive payouts of up to $1.5 million.

would be neat to learn who got invited to this i bet they have interesting twitter accounts and maybe past keynotes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

I went all ubiquiti recently, it’s been borat very nice but setup was a large amount of janitoring

did you go with the edge gear or unifi gear

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol unifi software takes like 30 seconds to install you dont have to buy a god drat thing OR use clod

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you go full ubnt, do not buy the USG as it is woefully underpowered. otherwise the system works pretty well and you can just buy the gen1 cloud key if you dont want to put the gen2 somewhere or run the controller on ur compy

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I used the software controller thing to setup my wifi frisbee exactly once and never have to touch it again.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I just got into a new house a couple months ago and am getting gig fiber ran, showing up sometime in the next month or w/e

So I built a ubnt stack myself,

it's only half done right now cable management is missing entirely and nothing is punched down yet, just straight run into 6p6c's into the switches temporarily. all routing just done on the cable modem out of picture for the moment, will use the edgerouter 6p when i get the fiber in and load balance the two WANs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sniep posted:

I just got into a new house a couple months ago and am getting gig fiber ran, showing up sometime in the next month or w/e

it's only half done right now cable management is missing entirely and nothing is punched down yet, just straight run into 6p6c's into the switches temporarily. all routing just done on the cable modem out of picture for the moment, will use the edgerouter 6p when i get the fiber in and load balance the two WANs

i use the internet through a big router with my wife

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

carry on then posted:

i use the internet through a big router with my wifi

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

carry on then posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

carry on then posted:

lol

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

guillotine if your living space isn't handled by a single access point

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Ruffian Price posted:

guillotine if your living space isn't handled by a single access point

i am putting up 3 (three) APs, two new nanoHD's and an older AP-AC-Pro

maybe overkill but that's how i roll

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sniep posted:

I think either you mean 8p8c or you’re doing something really weird (and not getting gigabit or PoE)

:spergin:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Raluek posted:

I think either you mean 8p8c or you’re doing something really weird (and not getting gigabit or PoE)

:spergin:

ya whatever yes i typod

its all cat6

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually i think you both mean rj45

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
ethernet cables aren't actually rj45

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:thejoke:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have an ap-iw, ac lite, and ac pro with pfsense and my unifi controller running in aws, op

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

why

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

yospos, bitch

mystes
May 31, 2006

"Homelabs" are the SHSC equivalent of "everyday carry"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a five year old netgear router that is only able to handle my gigabit down for about thirty minutes after a fresh reboot before it severely bottlenecks it. handles the upload just fine tho. it is plugged into a $25 unmanaged 8 port gigabit switch that handles the nine cat6 drops throughout the house (I leave two unplugged), one of which has another $15 switch that splits the wired connection in that room to my work vpn gateway and my desktop pc.

the router is in a closet in a corner where the other side of the walls have either the refrigerator or the stacked washer/dryer. wifi still works fine in the house, 5GHz manages 300mbps inside and 100mbps to the front porch, but it drops out in the garage.

my home network is a POS.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

lol unifi software takes like 30 seconds to install you dont have to buy a god drat thing OR use clod

this is what they want you to believe

I installed an AP in my gfs house and it worked fine when all it did was be a single ssid, but we wanted to use multiple ssids so there was a one for the kids that turned off at night, but one for us that stayed on all the time, and this is beyond the capability of the AP with using a cloud key or paying for the service,
so I had to add a cloud key device thing that takes up a port on the router and a plug on the multi box 🤷‍♂️

perhaps I simply expected too much from and AP

i’ve preferred using other things where i access the control panel thru a 1.1.1.0 portal (for example), but this isn’t that big of a deal coz you don’t have to use it often

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mystes posted:

except if this were a home lab it'd be cisco kit and i'd actually be going for certs, but au contraire, this is just a trodgor arm home lan

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

my home network is a POS.

in my own house, i use the asus wireless router they supplied me with my internet service and shove it in the metal paneled cutout thats in my garage that the modem lives in and it projects wifi thru out my house from inside that wee hole

it works coz my house is dinky

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

in my own house, i use the asus wireless router they supplied me with my internet service and shove it in the metal paneled cutout thats in my garage that the modem lives in and it projects wifi thru out my house from inside that wee hole

it works coz my house is dinky

that’s called a data cabinet. lucky

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gentle Autist posted:

buddy,

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

I know he said his house is dinky, but that doesn't mean you should make jokes about it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hate home networking

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

in-wall APs in every room

??!?!?!?

wtf do you have a cavernous 10,000+ sqft mcmansion or is every room a faraday cage seriously what the hell

mystes posted:

this perfectly encapsulates what bothers me about homelab bullshit, thank you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i live in a brick house and i remember the wifi we had before we got fiber and put a router inside my apt was awful

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just lol if you don’t have a render farm in your en suite that’s perilously damp at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
There’s 1 cat5 pull in my house (I’m assuming because lol if it’s new enough for 6) and I don’t use it because it’s in a terrible location