Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lambert posted:

Maybe the Wirecutter isn't the arbiter of good products?

Their earbud choices are semi-horrible.

They used to tout the Taotronics and then a Harmon Kardon pair of headsets, both of those literally disintegrated within 3 months on me.

Their testing methodology doesn't seem to factor in longevity or reliability at all (at least for headphones)

Whenever a product turns out to be a dud they quietly stop mentioning it and nevar admit to making any mistakes.

I am firmly convinced that their recommendations are based on which manufacturer are giving them the biggest kickback; sometimes they'll pick a no-name out of the blue and say its good, then five billion people buy it, discover its poo poo, find out there's no tech support, watch the star ratings on the product dwindle down from four stars to two, Wireclutter revises the article to recommend the next highest kickbacker, rinse and repeat.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

my biggest issue with thinkpads is that the trackpads are absolute poo poo. they are the worst goddamn things ever and not one single model has a good one. this doesn't matter if you like the trackpoint or will be using a mouse, but lord almighty the trackpads are loving awful

like, all the jokes people are making about windows trackpads, they're thinking of lenovo

ever since lenovo took over the think pads from IBM they pretty much went straight to hell imho

plus who needs the trackpad when you have the cyberclit

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 22, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

did they reassign the guy who designed the MagSafe and lightning cable strain relief to the MacBook design group or something?

anyone with brains gets assigned to working on iPhoneys, incompetents work on desktops and laptops

well that's the way it's been for the past 4 years, Apple seems to have given up making good laptops since 2015 and desktops since 2012

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

at my parents house, doing some work so i went to go use my dads 5k imac as an external monitor. u literally cant anymore. lmbao.

target display mode got abandoned back in 2014 too bad you missed the memo

also they probably decided it was too much work to do it for a 5K display anyways

GenJoe posted:

magic mouse 2 is good. jony intentionally put the port on the bottom so nerds don't have a loving dongle hanging out of the front of their mouse at all times that they refuse to unplug because they think "wired is lower latency" or some dumb poo poo like that

still think MacBooks from 2016 onward is when Tim threw his hands up in the air and said 'let jony do whatever the gently caress he wants' and that's how we wound up with lovely butterfly engineering, loss of magsafe and everything sealed away like Stebe wanted it

jony is mr form over function to the point of ridiculousness, 2016 apple laptops onward are prime proof of this- hence lovely choices in display cables, reinventing a keyboard that didn't loving need reinventing, getting rid of magsafe cause usb-c lets us have tinier ports, thinner laptops

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 22, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

i thought it was so ken jeong could do sad egg jokes on Community but I'll go with your explanation for now

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Apple announces its March Event for March 25th :siren:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/11/apple-announces-march-25-its-show-time-event

News and video services, possibly new hardware. Maybe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Doesn’t T2 also mean you aren’t booting anything except Mac OS running on the SSD that was included with the machine when you bought it

that's Secure Boot and yeah that's a feature which would be great in schools/education but nooooooooo...

gotta keep the iMac separate from the iMac Pro or it'll cannibalize sales of.. some goofy poo poo

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh yeah, looks like a whole room of MacBook Pros was used in creating that first image ever of a black hole.

And the lady who wrote the algorithms uses a motherfucking 2013-2015 rMBP, not a TrashBar model.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol that image processing was done on some kind of high performance computer cluster you knob

From what I understand she wrote most of the algorithms on her laptop using it as a remote terminal..

we haven't had much to celebrate in the muck world lately so ima gonna say gently caress yeah anyway

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 11, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

why in the world does apple not make a dock? they make tons of dongles, and a dock is basically just a bunch of dongles put together, but you can charge even more for it! you'd think timb would be ALL OVER this

the spectre of steve floats into view, utters " t h i r d p a r t y o p p o r t u n i t y , " then vanishes in a puff of blueberry scented vape

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gentlemen, start your bedbug joke engines..

https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/the-5th-ave-apple-store-has-been-crawling-with-bed-bugs/

NY Post posted:

This past Friday, after weeks of bed bug sightings, a critter was spotted in the manager’s office, sending desperate employees into a frenzy, terrified they’d bring the pest home with them.

“It was just mayhem,” an employee told The Post.

“There was a mass exodus… employees were freaking out they felt really unsafe and management kept giving them the runaround.”

Staff were ordered to double bag their belongings in plastic while a “bed bug sniffing beagle” came to the store where it was “activated” by two lockers in a staff area.

“I shouldn’t have to go to work feeling unsafe and unprotected,” one worker told The Post.

“We felt very anxious, used and unimportant, like we were just another number.”

One worker said the issue has been going on for “nearly a month” and “Friday was the first day they acknowledged they found something.”

The employee said the issue started about three to four weeks ago during the overnight hours at the 24-hour store, which frequently has homeless visitors, when a table on the second floor was “cordoned off” because a bed bug was found, believed to have come from one of the homeless visitors.

And this is the Apple Store that Apple considers its 'flagship' in NYC.

Here, i'll start... They need a few days to get the bugs out..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 16, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

macOS 10.14.4 update increases 2018 MacBook Air maximum brightness from 300 nits to 400 nits

yo crapple stop underclocking my LCDs

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/25/apple-proposes-simplified-location-detection-using-tiny-gas-sensors-in-iphones

goddamit apple, doxxing me by my farts

bzzt methane concentration at lethal levels, please take phone out of butt pocket thenk kew

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

looks like you're hiding from work in the bathroom stall again. launching twitter

IFTTT

If Farting This Then Twat

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Wow a huge tech co is philosophically bankrupt who'd have thought

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/22/apple-has-a-full-time-professional-philosopher-on-staff

But they have a philosopher on staff? Ah I see HE ordered that Apple only be accessible by car and climbing a sheer cliff face with only natural vines for support

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/25/apple-loses-three-core-members-of-small-industrial-design-team

if they helped develop the 2016 keyboard they should be tarred and feathered on the way out

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eating your own dog food?!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Management posted:

if a product doesn’t sell well, Apple doesn’t care about it. if this thing’s sales drop off a cliff like the trash can pro then lol it will never get an update. not that Mac pros ever got timely updates.

They might have sold a bunch initially from the novelty factor, but yeah, they literally never did do any spec bumps or follow up on hints that they might offer something other than AMD GPUs. They stayed fixed as they were released for six loving years.

AMD literally had to create custom GPUs for the Trash Can; they had to have PCIe 2.0 custom SSD slots mounted on the GPU cards because Apple in their infinite wisdom had no room left on their logic board for one. Top speeds on that SSD hover around 1500 MB / 1700 MB.

To add insult to injury, they finally made available PCIe 3.0 to the SSDs in the last good Apple laptop model, the mid-2015 15-inch rMBPs. Then right after that they locked SSDs onto the logic board and threw in the T1 and then the T2 as a disk controller.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 11, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

if Nice! was trying to boot macos from a usb it would work fine

linux too. i've booted live usb sticks on macs countless times

Yeah, even Parted Magic has been hawking better Mac booting under their breath and that's deffo booting Linux

USB booting has been around since the PowerMac G4 days.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

look its the new low low cost Mac

designed by none other than Ive himself

Only $399

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Real nightmare if they don't run regular backups though

IF

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple Mail is basically spaghetti code written during the NeXT days lifted from the NeXT email client, it's a miracle that Microsoft managed to add an Exchange/Outhouse module to it that's more or less 80% functional (the 20% deductible being full Outlook calendar compatibility)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

based on what fucks up i'd say there are a lot of things that will corrupt the sqlite db in exciting and novel ways

on top of that there's APFS which has replaced HFS+ as the main filesysytem which is still a work in progress and almost totally undocumented at the bare metal level, that now the defacto filesytem for both iOS and macOS.

it's got bugs that people are only now encountering that are so bad that the only fix is to clone the entire drive to another APFS partition and pray it doesn't repeat itself

Because of Apple's idiotic refusal to provide low level documentation of the detail they used to provide for HFS+ the two major Mac disk repair utilities either can't even parse APFS or do more than pretend to analyze the drive with the same feedback you get from fsck.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Siri: "Okay, so you're an ambulance. What now?"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh ho, Facebook makes a phone now? checkmate privacyailures

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Tim Cook shilling for the niche-est market segment imaginable: tokusatsu fans

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1204247021126746112

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

sir.. sir.. SIR please

stop embracing the Mac Pro

buy one and take it home, then you can do whatever you like to it

also pretend I put the trashcan pro on the head of the ignored girl meme and the guy is staring at the new cheesgrater

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The_Franz posted:

it's a display for sneakers, because this guy needs to show off that he spent $400 for $1.50 worth of canvas and rubber and a $398.50 logo badge

Don't forget the 32 cents for the child / slave labor to slap together canvas, rubber, and laces.. and maybe some LEDs if they're for the kiddies

Also don't forget with the new cheesgrater that if you don't put the top cover on just right you blow the cooling solution to hell and could damage built in wifi

Also, behold the world's first $30,000 cheese grater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhcM0fhgC8&t=828s

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 16, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wtf no 10th gen cpu? ityool 2019, going on 20?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FMguru posted:

the catalina 15.3 update is out

it fixes two things

the size? 2.96 gb

heavy lols

Thats only what Apple feels like telling you they fixed.

Apple made a ton of revisions not just to bundled apps, but AMD & Intel drivers, APFS itself, Bluetooth apps..

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/01/29/what-changed-in-the-catalina-10-15-3-update/

Apple Mail got a 'substantial' update and new build, wonder if they fixed all the stuff people have been screaming about.

Bulgakov posted:

sadly tim is a coward

So is Craig Federighi, otherwise known as VP Of Software Engineering and Hair Force One, he signs off on what Apple decides to document as 'fixes'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 29, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/24/mac-apple-designed-processor-2021/

teh wait begins..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Management posted:

they will update the iMac Pro when Mac Pro sales fall off a cliff, which should be right about now.

There's not any newer Xeons that could go into it that aren't already spoken for in cheesegrater II Mac Pros

Unless they somehow shove in dual processors that they couldn't even fit into the cheesegraters which already have a 1 KW power supply

or make the iMac Pro thickerer by making it pregnant and shooting up two middle fingers in johnny ivie's direction

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple should review each of their products on a regular basis by asking "who is this product made for and why would they buy it?"

examples where this would have helped:

- the two port macbook pro (versus the four port macbook pro and the macbook air)
- the imac pro after the mac pro was released
- the homepod

As far as I can tell, all of these products are from the 'bad old days' when Apple hadn't formed their Pro Workflow team and it still was jony ive uber alles

The Pro Workflow team is responsible for the 16-inch rMBP and the current cheesegrater Mac Pro. Supposedly made up of industry pros who do stuff like look for the 'pain points' of current Mac workflows and try to ease them by influencing the hardware teams.

They supposedly sit across from the hardware engineers and can actually enforce issues, unlike before when some guy with a British accent probably just shot down every suggestion with 'not my idea' and that was that

gonna have to agree with the Verge's review of the new cheesegrater and say that Apple's been out of the game too loving long, and the trashcan was literally a shot into their own foot; the new MP is a vast improvement over the trashcan, but the damage it caused is still ongoing

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 6, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

or they go amd like the rumors have been saying

Apple has used AMD/ATI for a great many years, back to the halcyon days of the original 'fat boy' Power Macintosh G3.

I'm sure as long as AMD gives them a generous discount, we will see them get used. The Hackintosh community has already embraced them to good effect

don't see it happening for laptops, desktops eh. as far as Apple is concerned their only requirement for Ryzens will be 'can it compile another coronavirus app in Xcode any faster?' if yes then go

I can see Threadripper Mac Pros but not iMac Pros for some reason.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple also can't make more than a 96W adapter because the FAA limits carry on batteries to 100W of power

Probably so planes don't drop screaming out of the sky just because everyone hits their power button all at once

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

i can't wait to see what apple does re: x86 compatibility

do they further stratify their lineup, perhaps along pro/not-pro lines? make customers figure out whether their new mac will run X or Y, or do they just go whole hog into arm and tell anyone who needs x86 apps, vms, etc. to get hosed?

how badly can tim bungle this?

they're probably jumping for joy that they won't have to support BootCamp ever again

tim will likely mumble something with the words 'third party opportunity' in it, then twitch his pinky towards VMWare and Parallels who no doubt relish the idea of learning an entirely new set of RISC commands and architecture

my feeling is that pro lines will be more cores, not-pro will be A14-A1x chips with disabled cores but who knows

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Maybe the secret is the GPU? Intel's efforts are still a bit meh, whilst Apple has to drive the gigantic resolution of iPhones and now with high refresh rates.

Intel's GPUs are only now starting to approach reasonable performance and are probably about to hit the same wall of diminishing returns as their CPUs.

Apple's GPU used in its ARM variants, which is based on another company's (PowerVR) work seems to benefit from originally having been engineered to work within the constraints of a mobile device.

What's interesting is what will happen now that they are putting the ARMs in a desktop/laptop which has more lax constraints than a mobile device.. do you make a bigger/better GPU than the mobile version, maybe move it off the CPU? Apple has already offloaded security functions and limited encoding/decoding functions to the T2 chip, which is literally an A-series ARM chip with some cores / features hacked off it.

You still have to learn Metal for it though if you want 3D graphics.. something a lot of scientific imaging app developers are bitching about at the moment, but they have no choice..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Management posted:

unfortunately there’s no way to know how big the ssd component is because Apple doesn’t advertise that. it varies by models but also by disk size. so research it and don’t buy the one with the smaller ssd.

We bitched about this in the hardware thread a while ago. It's now known for iMacs 2012 - mid 2015 the default was 128 GB SSD and 1 / 2 / 3 TB platter drives.

The late 2015 iMac was when they decided to get super cheap, using only 24 GB SSDs paired with 1 TB platter drives, and 128 GB with 2 TB platter drives.

Some bitching ensued, with the result that since 2017 and including the most recent 2019 iMac models, the formula has been 32 GB SSD with 1 TB platter, and 128 GB SSD paired with either 2 or 3 TB platter drives.

Edit even more: the Fusion drive in the Late 2012 - Mid 2015 iMacs wasn't much faster because both the platter drive and the SSD were on the SATA 3 bus, which meant I/O couldn't top 550 MB / sec.

On the Late 2015 iMac to today, the SSD is now on a PCIe 3.0 X 4 channel bus, where speeds can go up to (theoretically) 4 GB/sec but in actuality more like 3.3-3.5 GB/sec real world throughput.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 16, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1249498425537605632

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FMguru posted:

is anyone making a wwdc game day thread or are we just going to clown on it here in the apple thread?

Nobody seems to give a poo poo so yeah guess this is the place

Event stream just started, orbiting the earth at night?

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/event-stream/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1275047887425220608