Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I have a 2016 mbp that my work got me in april

6 months old, and the keyboard is almost unusable

some keys have no tactile feedback/snap at all, some keys double-press, and some keys don't register about half of the time

which keys these are seem to change on the reg, although SPACE, U, and V are conistently hosed

it's like, how am I supposed to copy/paste from SEXCHANGE without a V key :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i just got one too and it's good, i got an aukey usb hub and some cheapo 3.1-->C converters for dongletown, it's not that big a deal. i already prefer the new clicky kb. screen is a bit better, touchpad is nice, and its thin and light

touchbar is mostly useless and i still want a real esc key tho. and i miss magsafe for getting the power cable in easily, the usb c holes are too small to do it by feel without lots of fiddling

enjoy having a few months with your working keyboard

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

get it replaced under warranty?

I'm gonna tell IT to take that poo poo back and give me a windows machine with a real keyboard

that's right, even Windows 10 (tm) will be better than having to replace the logic board over and over again every 6 months

seriously I loved my last two mbps but apple really took a hard left with this one

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

i am still doing well with my 2013 macbook air for general use but it's way too slow to work with camera raws so i think i'll just upgrade the home desktop pc from "$360 costco hp tower + monitor bundle" to an imac of some kind. not really sure what i'd need to run ps+lr well but i'll figure it out when i actually get closer to buying, maybe in the new year

do u need an imac because ur a ~*CrEaTiVe PrOfEsSiOnAl*~?

I hear the bits come out warmer and more dynamic when you render them with an imac, confirm/deny

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
install gentoo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

I’m not a chip designer. I write software that makes the chip work at a low level. then I give the designers feedback on what the software needs to work better and they factor that into future generations. so this chip is co-evolving with iOS at a very deep level. they know what instructions the compiler outputs and what kind of operations apps do frequently and they optimize the chip to make those faster. at the same time the compilers and libraries and kernel know what to do to best take advantage of the microarchitecture.

firmware krew itt :hf:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
can you still defeat face ID with a photo of yourself?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
but what if I took their face.....off....

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

this one weird tip from a mom

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just took my work 2016 mbp to the apple store

Trip report: the genius bar is totally unable to deal with a situation where an appointment is made by an IT iTunes account, but the person bringing in the laptop is somebody else

They're fixing my trash keyboard by shipping the laptop to houston where they'll replace literally half of the computer (just so the trash keyboard can poo poo out again in 6 months because "dust, or you're typing it wrong")

Laptop is on applecare but the invoice would have been $800

wrap it up apple-ailures

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ridiculous that in tyool 2017 apple won't sell a laptop with 32GB of RAM

or a laptop with a working keyboard

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
do you guys remember when apple changed the scroll direction for no goddamn good reason at all? alienating people who have to switch between windows and mac on the reg?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

how many laptops in the form factor macs books pro occupy can you actually get 32gb of ram?

tons

also you can upgrade the ram yourself on most non-mac laptops super easily

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i switch all the time and don't even notice it anymore

glad you learned to live with it

but what possible good reason was there other than to make MacOS ~*sPeCiaL fOr CrEaTiVes*~

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

dang if only those handful of people could adjust this somehow

yes but why did they even change in the first place

its not better or worse, just completely unnecessary

that would never have happened before they took the Jobs

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 15, 2017

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

why do you not have one of these then?

I would if I could have picked my work laptop

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

he used a macbook once and now he cant scroll any other way and so hes trapped on apple computers until the day he dies

this guy gets me

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

the difference between normal scrolling and "natural" scrolling is the difference between feeling like you are moving the viewport around and moving the Content around. the latter obviously makes much more sense on a touchscreen and arguably on a mac if you are the sort of "Creative" that apple wants buying their macs and you are primarily just scrolling around your facebook feed. of course this breaks down when you consider that the primary purpose of a trackpad (moving the mouse pointer) is fundamentally a part of the viewport and not of the Content but i guess our old man brains are not plastic enough to effortlessly handle this dichotomy

Also "down" on a scroll-wheel still scrolls down - why make "down" on the touchpad scroll up?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I think we can all agree that its not like scrolling was any harder before

apple just changed it for no goladdam reason and made this whole bullshit situation to personally annoy me

tim has brought us to this point

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
applecare trip report:

took my 2016 fuckbar keyboard MBP to the mac store because a bunch of keys were double-registering and/or not-registering, also the trackpad sometimes got stuck because of ~*dUsT*~

first they tried to tell me that it was because I wasn't on weed sierra

then after I argued with them a bunch, they applecared it and replaced the logic board, which can't be disconnected from the keyboard

total repair price without applecare would have been $800

lappy works now, looking forward to having to do this bullshit again in 6 months after the keybaord dies

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

lol the trackpad also gets hosed from dust? how?

not sure if something was broken in there or what, but sometimes the trackpad wouldn't actuate any more (tap-to-click still worked)

shaking the computer like an orphan baby would usually fix it until the next time it got stuck

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

did you try the stupid canned air thing apple suggests?

In truth, no

Although I'm p drat sure it wouldn't make any actual difference

Also I'm not gonna compressed-air my laptop, that has literally never been a thing on any laptop ever and im not gonna accept "you're using it wrong" from timb

Apple should reap the cost of dustgate

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it only works because the os assumed that you can't enter the root password because your keyboard has been disabled by dust

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Anonymous root access, every Aussie's dream

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

golden poopchute from sinking the crapple titanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
everybody with a poo poo keyboard that sticks and is garbage should take it back under Applecare, make them replace that poo poo and eat the cost of their bad gaddam choices

without applecare it's a $500 repair