Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im gonna be quite frank, i am entirely ignorant of anything computer related. If i were to hack my 3ds would i be able to play like, fangames and stuff on it or is it only gba/ds specific games that can be run? Would i be able to say, play a randomizer for pokemon using the actual game card?

E: my exact system is the new 2DS with the clamshell design, if that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Sweetness, looks like i got a weekend project to do. Thanks for the help :-)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So bear with me, I just wanna make sure I don't mess this up. If i wanna homebrew my New 2DS:

Can I use the microsd card that came with it? If not what type should I buy?

Is there a way to back up the stuff on it or on my 3ds beforehand? I'm not attached heavily to anything downloaded to it but it would kinda suck to lose DLC for games I still play if something goes wrong.

Do I need to disable anything in the 3DS? I seem to recall the guide saying to turn my friends list off or something like that but I can't find where I saw it or how to do it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hmm alright thanks, gonna prob get a bigger micro sd since turns out i need to buy an adapter anyway

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow yall werent kidding, hacking my 2ds took no time at all. Thanks for yalls help

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So like, connecting my 3DS to the eshop would be a bad idea right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Muk Dumpster posted:

Keep your sysnand clean and homebrew on emummc or vice versa

They don't ban for homebrew, only piracy or if you install homebrew as a title rather than using the hbmenu

And if you brick and have a nand backup its super easy to restore, ive bricked so many times

Ah, so i probably shouldnt have used so many .cia files huh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so im seeing a ps1 emu for 3ds but tell me honestly, will it play chrono cross

cause i have doubts

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just one of those "well, technically it works" type of things. I don't think it's good at any length.

dang

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I just played through the introduction. Moment to moment is a good 60fps, but the first time anything loads for combat it drops, usually to 50ish, but the element tutorial hit 30 before the load finished. Noticeable, definitely. Cutscenes all run great, though. I would definitely call this acceptable as a way to play CC, but not perfect by a long shot.

And god, I forgot with an unmitigated dick Radius is.

I couldnt get retroarch working so idk what the heck :/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I get wanting to play dead games but someone tell the rom herders to stop wasting server space on the various imagine ds games

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Letting bad shovelware die is good, actually

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even with those I only keep games I know I’ll play since I don’t want a horde of garbage to wade through.

im the same way, but it still sucks cuz i mostly play gba games and gba had a lot of bangin games

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bought a Japanese New 3DS and added CFW to it.

It would crash when I tried the QR code website method so I had to bust out the old DS flashcart that I have dedicated to be the bootstrap cart. Then I made it more difficult on myself because I kept thinking that it would just boot up into the Homebrew Launcher after putting the Luma boot.firm file. I totally forgot that you had to launch it through the DS download play app. I will would have saved myself an hour if I just read the directions.

So I got it working eventually. It spent about 12 hours installing games. My own backups, for real. As the pictures show, despite using US games, the titles on the homescreen show up as Japanese. But, it was all worth it. The small form factor is sleek and the screens are much nicer than XL screens.

the 3ds has a folders option just so ya know, its very handy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I dont know what screens i have and never will

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hatty posted:

Since we’re talking 3DS I have been injecting GBA and GBC games lately and I’m near the app limit. Has anyone found a way to up it at all?

Please, use mgba. Trust me its way better. Injecting them is a pain and the emu on ds is just poo poo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think technically emulation is still illegal? Or maybe thats only if you dont have an original copy. For me personally when i hacked my 3ds i specifically bought one to use as the emulation machine so i wouldnt have to worry if it did get banned but as far as i can tell nintendo doesnt care, i leave it online all the time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oh neat, i thought you had to own a physical console to make it legal. Is it the same for roms

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Who cares if it’s legal or not. No one is going to arrest you for downloading Little Samson.

im sorry i find it interesting to know things, lol. can you refrain from whining to me in the future

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sorry, didn’t mean to target you and sound like a dick. I just find it silly for the people that seriously get worried about it.

sorry, i was harsher then i needed to be. i really do think its interesting to know the rules of it if only to make my blatant ignoring of them that much more satisfying

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thank you both for answering my questions. it's absolutely fascinating!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Muk Dumpster posted:

Yeah emummc is the way to go if you want to be 100% safe, but really if all you're using is atmosphere and homebrew through title redirection you're fine. You only get banned for installing nsps or save editing/cheating on online games. Updating the emummc isn't even hard, just get the update files and use daybreak.

And it's illegal for them to search your sd card for files

Something being illegal doesnt mean companies wont do it tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Mgba has slowdown on the ff remakes in fights, which is a bummer but like, i can just play them on my gba sp if i really feel like it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Luma just kinda runs on top of the regular firmware, you enter its menu with L+Down+Select. You can manage cheats with a few things, I think, but I'm used to Checkpoint.

This looks like an accurate way of handling it. https://www.cfwaifu.com/3ds-cheats/

is there a way to do this for roms tho?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So i lost the amazon sd card gambit. What am i going to need to redownload for the 3ds cfw? And also how do i make sure i dont get a poo poo sd card

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Thank you for the sd card suggestions! But i still need to know what to redownload lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Afaik you just need to redownload the zip file here and extract that to the root of the SD card.

You'll probably also need to go through the process to get FBI set up again, but I haven't had to do that in so long I'm not sure what the current process is.

Ah dang, well, it was only a couple hours last time so if i have to rehack it it at least wont be the worst

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hmm, i wish i knew anything at all about computers bc i dont even know what to search for haha. I think the fbi thing was done via a qr code? Its been a year and a half since i hacked it and my memories not great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh my loving lord i am an idiot, theres a link that says "restoring cfw" in the homebrew guide and i just completely loving missed it, gently caress me. Thanks for the help keene, sorry for wasting your time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do I un-mod a 3ds? I’m giving mine to my son to use and I don’t want him to have to mess with the oddities of a modded system.

What oddities, as long as theyre using actual cartridges nothing goes wrong?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is there an accepted ps1 emu for 3ds? I got the urge to play digimon world 3 once again, and the last emu i tried didnt work and also crashed my sd card to a point where i had to use a backup

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have a vita, i just havent felt like digging thru my console graveyard to find it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is there an emu guide for the vita thats as good as the 3ds one was? Im very bad with computers lol, i need specific directions

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah, a DS/DSi flashcard has its uses for running original DS games and homebrew without an emulation layer, but a 3DS flashcard is completely useless these days.

I guess if you run out of sd card space itd be nice? Uh if you somehow have like...100 3ds roms

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well, i guess i gotta do it. How do i mod a switch but still be able to buy games online?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Don't pirate and you can mod and online on one switch no problem

My hacked switch has been online for years now and i've been happily overclocking, modding Switcher 3 and Bloodstained, and save editing all the while

There is no point to hacking a console if i cant then play old games on them for free

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
And hell maybe one day ill have good internet and be able to play new games too...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I use an emulator for my gba roms bc the native gba running in 3ds doesnt have any features (namely save states and fast forward)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Walla posted:

That's a good point. I don't play any kind of rhythm or action games so that issue is irrelevant.

Yeah, altho mother is an rpg so i understand why youd want to play it. Maybe make that one a cia i guess. No other game id ever care about would i give a poo poo about input lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Booky posted:

it just feels cozier to play it on the actual hardware inside the 3ds instead of a emu, inside the 3ds, imo (tho i Did need to use a emu - virtuanes) for digital devil stories 1 and 2 - apparently the hardware gets finicky with tl patches for nes roms if you try injecting it as-is??)
i dunno if that makes much sense tho; at least snes gets savestates

speaking of 3dses and before i go to bed, when i was setting a theme in anemone tonight, twice i had a mysterious crash occur. the first time i didn't take a pic or save a crash dump, but the second one i did and im p sure its the same as the first one; i think it didn't happen all the time too? would anyone know how to fix this? i tried google but it all seemed like it was just if it crashed elsewhere

I had this happen to me, some themes are just bugged i guess