Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

EorayMel posted:

Now the panic attack is the ultimate "My primary is out of ammo let me whip out my secondary and blast this guy instantly"

Caber is still dead.

Really wish they'd fix the Caber and BFB(seriously for this one all they'd have to do to fix it would be to either remove that "lose speed when taking damage" trait, or remove the reduced base speed trait, having both makes it loving useless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think they might need to tweak the damage the Flamethrowers do, they're a touch too strong now, especially in a Pyro vs Pyro scenario(also Pyro's afterburn resistance seems to be screwy right now, I've gotten set on fire as a Pyro several times tonight)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Asteroid is best map and it's a drat shame it never got finished

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ariong posted:

I wanted to turn my mouse sensitivity up, but for some reason the slider goes up to ten million. Literally, that's the maximum value on my mouse sensitivity slider. This means that manipualting the slider in any way other than dragging it allll the way down to zero results in unplayably high sensitivity. So, I'll have to set it manually. What sensitivity is recommended?

Also, are there any good video series or something for getting decent at sniper? I don't wanna be a pro headshot master or anything, but I would like to be able to headshot a spun up heavy who is walking at a snail's pace. As it is I can barely get a bodyshot on a moving target, even when I'm aiming for the middle of their torso.

One good trick is that once you've figured out what head height is for where you're shooting, is to keep the mouse lined up at that height, and adjust to left or right as needed by strafing rather than moving the mouse

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, do not use the pan if you're trying to be stealthy

Not to mention under normal circumstances the only time you should ever use your melee as a Sniper is against a Spy, and that's only if you don't have an SMG equipped

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning at the same time there's only a couple truly bad weapons, and most of those are due to having been overly nerfed because they used to be really good, the main examples of those would be;

Baby Face's Blaster: used to be one of the best Scattergun variants in the game because it boosts your already impressive speed up even higher, but they ruined it back in 2015 by making it so you'd lose that extra speed upon taking any damage, so now it's basically a complete liability to use

Ullapool Caber: used to be one of the best melee weapons in the game for the Demoman, especially if he isn't using a Demo-Knight loadout, as it would insta-kill many classes in one hit, unfortunately they heavily reduced how much damage it dealt in 2015, making it a complete joke of a weapon these days

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

When are we going to see competitive twelvelander? I want to see demoknights, combat engies, medieval only medics, fat scouts, trolldiers, uberchain meds, friendly heavies, revolver spies, pyrosharks. I want to live.

I had actually done some brainstorming for a 12's format, it would basically be Highlander, but after you fill the first 9 slots with one of each class the remaining 3 slots can be filled up with any combination of additional Scout, Soldier, or Pyro

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Unfortunately it appears my laptop no longer has what it takes to play this game properly anymore, guess it's a good thing I'll probably have a job again by next month, I can start saving up some money for a new computer

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Haven't tried that one yet, did try some configs from a YouTube video that helped a tad, well that and me clearing off like a 100 gigs of stuff off my computer, I might give that a try though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This is applicable to literally any competitive game with allchat, but my favorite thing 0 effort 'grief' to do in TF2 is to just spew insults (limp-wristed ones are preferable) at nobody in particular when nothing is going on. Like, between rounds or just whenever there's a lull in the game, but you have to make sure that nobody could be correct in thinking that you actually insulting them. So, SO many people have enormous persecution complexes and will think you're talking to them and go absolutely nuclear over these perceived insults towards them. Even better if you have a buddy on the server that you can retroactively say you were insulting so they look extra dumb for getting mad. It's hysterical when it works, which is often.

I'm admittedly conflicted about this, cause it is funny to see it done to other people, but having been on the receiving end of it as well, I can definitely say it is an infuriating experience at best, and at it's worst it can be downright spirit breaking

Basically I've come to the opinion through my years of playing this game that one should normally only engage in long form griefing if your target has done something to deserve it(basically the Bugs Bunny approach)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Bee posted:

Between MvM, Mannpower, and that weird Asteroid mode, TF2 had one heck of an experimental phase, huh?

A shame that ended in no content instead of returns to the content that worked.

It's a drat shame, Asteroid was a drat fun map, and it's ridiculous that they couldn't have finished it, either as a RD map like originally intended or as a CTF map

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

DeGroot Keep would be a fun and ridiculous meat grinder if normal weapons were allowed.

Years ago I did some brainstorming for a hypothetical Medieval Mode focused update, and alongside making a couple preexisting weapons(mainly the three Jumper items) usable in it, it would also add a bunch of new weapons for every class that would be period appropriate for that mode

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

The problem with medieval mode aside from sucking horribly is that melee weapon hit detection has historically been garbage.

Kinda why my idea for said update would mostly revolve around giving everyone ranged weapons for that mode like Sniper and Medic have already

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Scorch Shot is best flare gun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Also while we're complaining about nerfs gently caress i miss the old Baby Face Blaster. I understand it was actual bullshit due to outrunning your hitbox but it really loving fun running all over the place with it and being a menace that could be anywhere at any time if there were stairs available.

I wish you didn't nearly slow down as much just from being grazed with how it works now.

Agreed, kinda funny that most of Scout's alternate weapons besides the sodas and milk have gotten nerfed into being suboptimal choices

Galaxander posted:

The cleaver is really good still, too. Heck, why not give the cleaver+wrap assassin combo a try? I did once and felt like I was cheating almost. Heck of a lot more damage than pistol spam could ever manage.

So what?

Cleaver and Wrap Assassin has long been a favorite of mine, it's great for a "harass enemy snipers and spies" loadout

Baron von Eevl posted:

I didn't even realize they had gotten rid of this, but looking now minicrits on headshot are really loving powerful. Fully charged headshots will 1-hit everyone but heavy at base health, plus covering them in jarate, plus it charges faster.

Yeah Sydney Sleeper is still plenty good, indeed it's probably the best rifle for new Snipers, cause even body shots still have a benefit

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

(Me, yelling because I'm flying well above your head): The Winger has utilityyyyyyyyyy!

Well yeah the Winger too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So on a whim I decided to clear my backpack of as many duplicate weapons as possible by smelting them down to scrap, turns out I had a lot of junk, like 172 Scrap's worth of it, guess I'll be making myself some new hats

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Just buy hats, almost everything is like two ref or less now.

Well with 19 Ref guess that means I'll be able to get a few new hats, at least once I can get my profile on scrap.tf working properly(for some stupid reason it doesn't seem to want to let me access the trading sections of the site as it thinks I haven't updated my privacy settings for my Steam account)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Galaxander posted:

If anybody is looking to break into the hat trading game, I've still got some stuff that's up for grabs.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Infernal_Orchestrina
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Argyle_Ace
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Holy_Hunter (Halloween restricted)

Probably only worth a fraction of a refined each, but hey:
:bubblewoop: They're FREEEEEE :bubblewoop:

Steam name is the same. Avatar is similar.

I'd definitely be interested, I'll message you on Steam about it in a minute

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn lately unless I'm playing Sniper(and even there I'm only doing so-so), part of the problem is that I'm definitely having performance problems even after using that Master Comfig program, and the other is that I had lost a long while ago the sensitivity settings I originally had and I just can't seem to find ones that work for me

Might just be me getting "old" and my already bleh reaction speed going even further into the trash though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ariong posted:

It’s easy to forget that there are a lot of extremely talented people working at Valve. It’s just that normally they have no reason to actually get up and do something.

Because they have a corporate structure that on paper seems like a great and progressive concept, but in actual execution is a complete mess and why they've barely done anything of note in at least 5 years

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're all working, just usually not on tf2. My guess is they're all working on next year's summer sale minigame because gently caress if valve is actually developing anything anymore.

Hence what I said about it being terrible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

Don't feel bad, buddy. I'm terrible at poker, too. I managed to get all the goodies from the first Night at the Inventory game, but the second has stymied me every time.

Funny, I always found two to be easier than one, partly because it gives you more money to start

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also if you end up on a server that has everyone in friendly mode you could probably get some of them to help you farm the needed kills if you ask nicely enough

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember reading that the characters are built around various poker player archetypes/stereotypes; Max is a Psycho who doesn't care too much whether he does well, Strong Bad is a Novice who's easily baited and gets overconfident and skittish alternately, Heavy is a Rock who is stubborn and hard to sway but overcommits, and Tycho is a Shark who plays the most pragmatically.

2 mixes things up a bit, with Ash living to bluff so much he can surprise you when he actually has decent cards, Brock likes dramatic plays more than sensible ones, and Sam is fairly rounded.

You forgot about Claptrap

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

They're starting Scream Fortress early, and never ending it again. All your Eternaween canteens will be worthless.

Honestly would love it if they got rid of the Halloween/Full Moon restriction on cosmetics, it's always been the single stupidest thing Valve has done regarding TF2

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The answer is obviously to get rid of the Halloween/Full Moon restriction completely, though it.would bring up a minor issue of what to do about the Eternaween item(maybe have it enable stuff like spells, ghosts, and skeletons spawning instead*)

*maybe even the Halloween bosses if we want to go full crazy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xander77 posted:

LazyPurple's "How it FEELS to Play Pyro in TF2":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8ys2aglI4

As always that was really good, though I do wish he could have spent some time on talking about Flare Guns(sort of how he overly focused on Rocket Jumping in his Soldier video)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah that was a VERY pleasant surprise yesterday when I headed over to YouTube, can't wait to see what he pulls off in the videos for Demo-Man and Medic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I've been playing tf2 more often lately and boy the vaccinator might be one of the worst items in the entire game, it only exists to make the other team have less fun.

I dunno, I think it can be fun to use if you're in the right mindset, even if in general it's worse than the other three medi-guns

Also they really should have released medi-guns with the MvM shield and resurrection effects as their Ubers, both would have been fun to mess with even if they probably wouldn't be as strong as Stock or Kritz

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Victory Position posted:

sometimes, your sentries demand a change of scenery, so you cap the flag and switch it to Turbine,

But Turbine is the worst CTF map

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The thing that makes Turbine worse is that it's harder to defend your Intel, thus much harder to keep up the TDM aspects going properly, while with 2Fort it's pretty simple to keep your Intel safe

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

that's why 2fort is worse than turbine.

it should be at least kind of difficult to defend your intel, otherwise the game never loving ends and you're stuck deathmatching on one of the worst maps to deathmatch on because so much of it is awful cramped corridors and there's basically no healthpacks

That ties into why I feel DoubleCross is the best CTF map, it's easier to defend than Turbine, but nowhere near as brainless to do so as 2Fort

A CTF version of Asteroid would truly be the best though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly at this point Valve should probably just outsource TF2(and most of their other properties that aren't DOTA 2 or Counterstrike) to another studio

especially if they were allowed to do console ports, the idea of a new version of The Orange Box would be amazing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

Isn't CS:GO already developed by another studio?

No idea, haven't played a Counterstrike game in like 5 years

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The problem with having a corporate structure where people only really work on the projects they want to is that it results in most of them not actually doing anything productive, hence why Valve has mostly been sitting around with a thumb up it's rear end the last decade or so, having Steam as a steady income stream has made them too complacent as game developers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Not true, they forced people to finish DOTA2 after they bought it because no one wanted to work with icefrog because he's, understandably, completely intolerable.

That's an exception that proves the rule in my opinion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I have no issues with the Conch, it basically exists to make most of Soldier's less good Rocket Launchers(basically all of them besides Stock/The Original, Direct Hit, and Liberty Launcher) actually usable*, I mean I doubt anyone would ever touch the Cow Mangler otherwise(and that comes from someone who is a huge fan of that weapon)

*except the Air Strike, that one basically requires using either a pair of boots or the Base Jumper to be even remotely practical(though it's one of those weapons that honestly needs a more or less complete rework)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If Valve wasn't a trash fire, we'd already have a TF3 to cover the massive streamlining + reworks the game needs

True, assuming that a Team Fortress 3 were to have a whole new cast, I figure they'd probably end up raising the amount of classes through splitting off some of the sub variants off into their own dedicated characters(like Demo-Knight or Huntsman Sniper or Gunslinger Engineer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Keep the 9 classes, just include those neat female versions designed by lady artist who did some work for Valve.
Then we would technically have 18 characters, but it would still be the 9 core classes.

There's a guy over on Reddit doing a comic with exactly that premise, it's pretty neat(Heavy's sisters have already been recruited to be new Soldier, Heavy, and Sniper)

A Valve themed Smash clone would be amazing

ArfJason posted:

also one of the things that most depressed me about this game and ive said it before is that we never got the adult swim show and if expiration date was any indication it would have been incredible

I really don't get why Valve didn't just outsource the project instead of just immediately giving up on it