Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QwertySanchez posted:

Honestly though the persuader's going to be just as viable for that after the update, you'll only have 8+14 sticky jumper bombs but that's more than enough to get around with even if you can't pick up any ammo from places other than your lockers.

I used to run LnL+Sticky+PP and it was the best poo poo ever for super aggressive offensive demoman. Back in those days the LnL could one-shot scouts, and since you're not spamming pills for area denial you don't run into the PP's downside that much. And the upside is you would just hoover up tons of health. Blowing up an engie nest and having like three full-health-packs worth of scrap right there was loving fantastic.

Obviously you had a fixed shelf life and if you stayed up too long then you'd have to bounce back to spawn for ammo one way or another... but 18 pills and 24 stickies is enough to make a pretty nice dent in an enemy team.

Everything in that kit has been nerfed at least a little and LnL and PP have both been nerfed into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JB50 posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make people wait until the end of the round to get credit for their contracts. Thanks rear end in a top hat at valve, but some of us have to go to work and stuff, too bad theres 3 engies on each team so the round may not end for days. Welp guess you lose that progress you made on your contract.

Someone is trying to push through that 2fort contract!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Orv posted:

So now I've got two new questions; melee demoman seems like my jam to some extent, and I definitely saw a claymore and a targe but now there's like fifteen other melee demoman items? What am I looking at there? I sold all my TF2 inventory ages ago, which leads into my other question, how do I actually get items now?

That would be the Eyelander and the Chargin' Targe, or the Tide Turner.

Just buy a key, sell it to scrap.tf for metal, and then use their auto-buy functionality to get all the weapons you don't currently own.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 16, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I feel like I have fun 1 out of every 5 games in Overwatch because I have to play heroes I don’t enjoy to have it not be an utter stomp. In TF2 I can play whatever and enjoy 4 out 5 games. That one game is usually bad because of blatant hackers.

Overwatch emphasizes team play over individual skill. Timer abilities and ults have a very significant effect on gameplay, while the meat and potatoes of TF2 is placement and DM. This means that character selection matters a lot more, and makes it very rock-paper-scissors in a lot of cases. It's a lot harder to carry when you are going to be at a major disadvantage going up against the wrong hero, in a lot of cases you can't just DM your way out of it, you're dependent on your team to handle situations that are disadvantageous for you.

That's fine when you're with friends and you can work together but it's a recipe for rage when you're with a bunch of randos, which is one reason that the community is so utterly toxic in comparison to TF2. Not that TF2 players never rage but oh my god, half the time in Overwatch I felt like people were raging at each other before the round even started. Which is pretty logical when you think about it, one or two bad hero picks and you're kinda hosed. And that all comes back to how they emphasize timer abilities and ults over DM, because it makes hero picks extremely situational.

I'm sure there's probably a similar degree of salt in Competitive TF2 or TF2center or something too, but that's turbonerd stuff, 99% of players probably just play payload and A/D.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lowness 72 posted:

What's the item that causes constant snow bursts to pop around the player?

Winter Holiday Noisemaker

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

King Lazer posted:

I mean but that is like 40 years old and it's been done to death. Rocket jumping + meatshots still rule though.

Actually, Moby Dick is close to 170 years old :spergin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A wild warpy appeared...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
actual literal worst tf2 experience ever :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 15, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I am so loving tired of the dustbowl/badwater/upward rotation, that's the biggest thing that's driving me away at this point. Every now and then I get a little bit of goldrush or thundermountain, that's about it. It's been ages since I played Steel or Coldfront or anything. My friends put them in queue to humor me but they never come up and if they do they're dead servers.

I even like playing the "bad" maps like Hoodoo once in a blue moon.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 2, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Butt Detective posted:

Play with a team of friends who have 250+ tours and let them carry you :haw:

I made friends with some people who had 250 tours like 2 or 3 years ago, which is just an astonishing amount of tours even when you consider that two cities had been out for like 3 years then (which makes me feel old in general)

That's like 100 tours a year... 400 missions a year... probably at least a tour a night a couple times a week. Each mission is like an hour if you're making good time. Also, $1000 in cash for 250 tours of tickets.

Last time I checked they were still going pretty strong. The diehard mvm'ers are crazy.

Come to think of it, if you're a 16-year-old who wants more Steam Money to buy games you'll never play, there's probably worse gigs. Bet the odds of an australium payout push you into positive net value.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 3, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

drrockso20 posted:

One good trick is that once you've figured out what head height is for where you're shooting, is to keep the mouse lined up at that height, and adjust to left or right as needed by strafing rather than moving the mouse

Also, do not use the pan if you're trying to be stealthy

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cock hero flux posted:

they removed basically all of them because they sucked and everyone hated them, and replaced them with basically disarms. I can't think of a real stun that's still in the game other than as part of a couple of taunt kills.

being spooked by a ghost is still basically a stun, but that's of course halloween-specific

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really "mechanical demand", since I'd honestly say many of the TF2 characters require a lot more of that. It's more that because of the slow movement and high healthpools in OW, as well as the fact that guns have very little burst fire and abilities have enforced cooldowns, positioning both as an individual and as a team member matter a lot more. A solo character can't carry because you need focus fire to take anyone down except for the DPSes, who can typically be wiped out by a stiff breeze if they don't have both a tank and a support backing them up.

In TF2, most of the offensive characters can quickly kill a few people in a row if they need to, and their mobility enhancements are either always on or have no cooldown as long as you can pay their cost. In Overwatch, even the "damage" heroes will usually blow more than half their clip just killing one DPS or healer, and their mobility skill is usually tied to a long cooldown. Soldier can rocket-jump in, gib two or three non-Heavies with well-placed rockets, and rocket-jump out. There's no one in the OW roster that's capable of anything comparable to that, and there's a lot more characters with Heavy-level healthpools too.

Yeah I mean that's pretty much what I dislike about OW, ult economy is boring (says the medic main) and DM is de-emphasized in favor of whoever has abilities off cooldown. Also, the rock-paper-scissors is really firm, if you are getting hard countered there's literally nothing you can do about it except switch, you aren't going to ever win an un-favored matchup against a class with abilities that counter yours.

In TF2 your "abilities" are your ammo counter and it's not a hard cooldown, you can load a few shots in the middle of battle if you need, at the cost of that being a less efficient way to load ammo. And the fact that the only real "team advantage" is overheals and uber (and I guess sentry) limits the amount of advantage any one team can have over another, where in Overwatch you're potentially going up against six players with I-win buttons that need to be forced or countered. And skilled play or favorable terrain can easily overcome an unfavorable matchup, particularly in non-comp play.

I just think it's a bad feeling that you lost a team fight because you had ult disadvantage or because you ran out of buttons to press. I guess in the end it's all a different kind of "outplayed" but it's not as fun as having good core DM mechanics that let a good player win an unfavored matchup or a tilted team advantage.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 10, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

if everyone is unusual then no one is

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

sure, it's called xbox 360

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
there are signs everywhere and a giant map on each spawn, how much more do you need your hand held? Like sure it’s going to take a few rounds to figure out the flanks and when all the gates open and stuff but it’s not that complicated overall.

Some people just seem to object to having a map that isn’t completely linear.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Galaxander posted:

I think it's a tragedy when red wins in any A/D situation, because it likely means most of the match was spent with blue throwing their bodies into a meat grinder because casual players won't coordinate. Not that red doesn't earn the victory, but it's just boring to play from either side.

So I think it's good that Steel becomes increasingly stacked against red.

Stopwatch mode is more fun (since both teams get to “win” in the sense of actually making progress) and allows better map design (since you don’t have to balance the defensiveness of points around the “average team” being able to sometimes defend it). This is one of the things that Overwatch got right.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
they should make things like the spirit of halloween, giftapults, and maybe mann up tickets be craftable with metal. Things that people will use and sink metal out of the economy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 1, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Both Gas Passer and Dragon's Fury are still insanely overpowered in MvM. The Dragon's Fury fires fast and does triple damage (not considered a crit, so you can stack banner on top of it!) and the Gas Passer lets you sub for demoman very easily.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mercury Crusader posted:

The last TF Comics issue thing was back in January 10, 2017. Think we'll get the next one by January 10, 2020?

well, it's a bimonthly comic, so I'd say we're due

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a whole video how the TF2 Medic is just better designed as character and gameplay class than Mercy so much it really isn't even funny

I mean the basic thing about every TF2 character is they're an obvious cliche but also a goofy subversion of it

I'd love to see that but yeah, TF2 as a whole is designed so much better than Overwatch, despite lacking much of the polish that overwatch has. The MOBA elements make it play much worse and add an insane amount of toxicity. Not that TF2 is sodium-free but MOBAs really take it to a whole different level vs any other genre of game. Rock paper scissors and button economy dominating over DM skill/positioning is really bad, and that leads to the feeling that you are about to waste 40 minutes playing a losing match because of one dumb teammate who makes some non-meta choice and that you have no real chance of carrying hard enough to push through that, which turns people toxic.

it'd be interesting to see the other obvious comparisons too... torb vs engineer, junkrat vs demo, etc

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 31, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hihohe posted:

To me . Level 2s are my bros. There is not enough love for them..

L2s are pretty much better than L3s in a lot of situations. I don't know if it's just the lack of rockets providing an obvious contrail back to the sentry or what, but it's seemingly a lot harder for many players to figure out where an L2 is shooting at them from than an L3. It's not invisible, but if it takes an extra quarter second that significantly decreases their chances of surviving. Also, there's the obvious bit about them deploying faster than L3s after being carried or rescue rangered that makes them better for aggressive play.

All in all, I'd say I probably used L2s just as much if not more than L3s. It's always worth taking a gun to L2, the increase in firepower is substantial, but many times I'd rather be working with an L2 than an L3 and it's occasionally annoying when some helpful teammate bangs it up to L3 when I don't want them to. If you're turtling up on defense, sure, but the rocket really doesn't do as much as you'd think it does and it can have some downsides to going full L3 too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 13, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the silver lining here is that since they share a lot of source code that any RCEs will be fairly likely to be in the shared part of the code, I'd think. while Valve might be willing to abandon TF2, I don't think they will abandon CS:GO.

The bad news is that this is potentially wider than just TF2/CS:GO and there also might be stuff in there that nukes stuff like Titanfall that are also built on Source Engine. We literally just got the game back on pc after 9 months of a hacker using some lobby exploits to auto-eject you from the lobby.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like it's healthier for the overall life of the computer if shut everything down, because it effectively 'flushes' all the background processes down. Otherwise, everything is just sort of suspended.

actually nowadays when you tell the PC to "shut down", windows is actually doing what's called a "hybrid shutdown". All applications are killed but the kernel itself hibernates to shorten startup time the next time.

functionally it is not really any different than logging out the machine but leaving it running. User stuff is killed, kernel stays up.

You are only truly shutting down the kernel if you (a) do a restart, (b) the system hard-crashes or powers off abruptly for some reason, (c) you command an advanced shutdown through recovery, or (d) you explicitly go out of your way to turn hybrid shutdown off.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Baron von Eevl posted:

Almost all unlocks are either fine or just not useful, very few are unfun to play against unless your team eats balls.

I miss the old loch-n-load and persian persuader. I used to run LnL, sticky, PP on payload offense - the LnL reduced the downside of the PP, you don't need to refill ammo constantly if you aren't spamming rollers, and the PP made you significantly more tanky especially if you could take out a nest and use all the fragments as health packs. The change to 2HK made it much less worthwhile to take and the change to the PP finished that loadout off entirely, now there is no reason to take PP unless you're demoknight and frankly the PP sucks so badly now there is no reason to take it for that either.

I know why they did it but I miss my Scunt Fucker 9000.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Max Wilco posted:

I like weapons like the Crusader's Crossbow, Sydney Sleeper, and the Homewrecker, since they're still viable weapons (well, maybe not the Homewrecker so much), but also serve a support tool for your team when the situation arises.

I've yet to try playing Team Fortress 2 Classic. Does it have a big install size, and is easy to install/uninstall?

it is kind of funny that I used to use the crossbow a ton before it was buffed and then I got used to using the overdose to let me bail when a pocket overcommits/punish chasing scouts/etc and now I don't use it now that it's good.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

brap posted:

Yeah honestly gently caress valve for implementing this system.

while I have a massive amount of love for the game, tf2 was the camel's nose under the tent on massive over-monetization of games. First TF2, then CS:GO, then every other publisher looked at the fat stacks steam was raking in and started diving for the lowest common denominator. Nowadays every AAA is trash riddled with MTX and there's only any pushback in the most egregious cases (like battlefront II 2). poo poo there's MTX in single-player RPGs nowadays. loving disgusting and a lot of that ties back to what Valve started.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Grapplejack posted:

Even map and game modes, all of which have been completely abandoned

it's pretty funny that arena was basically a battle royale mode and it was dead on arrival

there are valid reasons for that of course, but...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it's technically better than blizzards system, where you pay them real money and it stays in their stats and in their hands. At least with valves horrible gambling you can technically cash out

lootboxes but trading is definitely better than lootboxes but no trading, because at least you can sell the stuff you don't want and get what you actually wanted.

the system as implemented in Overwatch and similar, where if you really want one specific item the only way to get it is to just keep spinning the wheel over and over again till you get it, and as you get more and more items you start getting worse and worse outcomes (consolation coins, etc) is incredibly exploitative, that's basically complete gacha.

I'm not gonna pretend like lootboxes are great but at least you go into it knowing it's probably a net loss of money, offset by the chance of a big gain if you unbox some sick hat. If you choose to stay clear of that you can just buy whatever items you want, which I'm fine with (as they are completely cosmetic and community driven).

compared to the complete gacha systems, or gameplay-affecting lootboxes/other gameplay-affecting mtx, TF2's system is relatively benign. I got my fun out of the season passes and stuff, etc, in fact I probably made money selling the paints and stuff that you unlock when you finish. But there's no question TF2 was the camel's nose under the tent.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 27, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just throw all my crates on the steam market for like $0.02 or $0.03. It takes a while for the queue to burn through but it’s not like I’m marketing enough anyway to run out of market slots, and fifty cents is fifty cents.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

That would make a lot of maps miserable. I think random crits on melee is ok, but I’d prefer a modern solution of melee hit/hurt boxes instead of the extremely finicky hitscan check.

I used to play on a community server with 32player nocrit fast respawn and it's grindy by the standards of stock, but not as bad as you might think. The killcam adds a minimum 5 second wait that can't be skipped, and on higher player count servers you tend to get caught waiting for a second wave.

It also changes the way people play, it tends to lead to players running multiple-medic teams in order to push through, and lots of damage classes, so lots of medic+demo/solder/heavy. If you want to win that is. And controlling spawn doors becomes important as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm surprised the "competitive matchmaking" enforces 6v6 but doesn't have a highlander mode. I feel like highlander is a more attractive-to-the-masses mode, and a nice halfway point between the seriousness levels of 6v6 and just tryharding in casual games. I imagine a lot of people dipping their toes into that mode give up quickly because they're not allowed to play Pyro or something.

community competitive also usually has a weapon ban list the size of siberia so really the official comp mode satisfied absolutely nobody, it was absolutely predictable that nobody played it

I personally thought that highlander would have been a much better "casual competitive" mode for the masses as well - and the higher player count and broader classes mean that the cheeseball weapons are not as obnoxious.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ArfJason posted:

oh btw ive been watching some of heavyisgps's balance mod videos. some really fuckin cool and spicy poo poo in there (vitasaw heals teammates on hit for quick burst, engie catapults/speedpads, natascha makes *you* faster on hit instead of slowing the enemy down)

you can't make these provocative claims without linking it :allears:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I may be an oddity but I actually do like playing some of the lesser played maps once a night or so. It gets old playing on an infinite loop of badwater/upward/dustbowl, hoodoo or Borneo or whatever breaks up the tedium a bit.

What I always do is queue up for lots of maps and then take them off once they’re played.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm gonna be honest 75% of my love for Steel is getting under the lower approach from E to C and laying stickies on the grate and gloating about people who don't know that explosions blow through

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So use Steam or Gog and let them buffer you from that poo poo.

Oh right you don’t want to pay their platform fees because “Steam doesn’t provide any value-add”. Carry on.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't understand what you're saying? A lot of the problem we're talking about is related to, for instance, Steam keys being resold on G2A.

If you do a chargeback on Steam does the developer pay the fee or does Steam? Either way the developer is at no risk of losing their merchant account (it’s Steam’s merchant account not yours) and the user account doing the chargeback is getting banned.

I’m saying that Steam letting you use their merchant account and giving leverage against users filing chargebacks (even if you got hacked - you pull the trigger on a chargeback and you lose everything on your account, so you are strongly incentivized to work things out civilly with Steam support) is a huge value add for developers but they whine nonstop about Steam fees.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 24, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm a weirdo but I actually liked the stage they removed (2nd?) and kinda loathe the final stage (it's very easily accessible to defenders unless you spawncamp them).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jabor posted:

Soldier only gets run because you're not allowed more than one demo.

Soldier might seem overpowered if you only play casually, but that's just because high-skill players who've been playing the game a lot will gravitate towards classes with fun movement like soldier and scout and demo instead of classes with boring tedious movement like heavy. So you're going to run into more good soldiers than good heavies, which distorts your perception.

I think that's understating things. Heavy has a very low skill ceiling, it's not really a complex or interesting class to play.

The "slow, tedious" movement is a limitation that makes the class actually bad, TF2 is fundamentally a game about positioning and heavy has the least control of positioning out of all the classes. Even when the heavy can stake out an advantageous position the opponent gets to choose the range of the engagement. It's not a good class to push with because the demo or soldier can push farther given the limited duration of the uber, while also dealing at least as much damage.

functionally in HL the heavy's only real job is being a human sentry gun sitting on the cart, and maybe to throw the occasional sandwich. You could literally put a minisentry on the cart and just delete heavy and nothing of value would be lost. You can make anything work in casual play because it's casual, but still, if you are playing "serious" then basically any of the other damage classes do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
it's unfortunate that Valve nerfed a lot of the bolder sidegrades in the latter years of TF2. LnL+Persian used to be really fun high-risk-high-reward for offense, puff-and-sting with the axe is dead, BFB is dead.