Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
bay leaves?
conspiracy by Big Spice to sell flavorless leaves
essential staple of subcontinental cuisine
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Entropic

patriarchy sucks
I am open to well-researched opinions on either side of this controversial topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

excuse me, here in byob we do not tolerate anti-big-spice propaganda

*vainly tries to jam shut kitchen cabinet overflowing with sacks of spice; handwritten note from Wilbur McCormick flutters past, reading "thanks as always for your discretion"*

ty nesamdoom!

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
tbh the main reason I kinda wanna give bay leaves a pass is that this twitter thing was really funny:

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/829822853797212160/

Manifisto

Entropic posted:

tbh the main reason I kinda wanna give bay leaves a pass is that this twitter thing was really funny:

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/829822853797212160/

lol

realtalk, when I put a bay leaf into basmati rice as it's cooking I can tell the difference

or so my brain tells me

I wonder if I'd be able to tell in a double blind tho

ty nesamdoom!

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

Manifisto posted:

lol

realtalk, when I put a bay leaf into basmati rice as it's cooking I can tell the difference

or so my brain tells me

I wonder if I'd be able to tell in a double blind tho

I'm willing to believe it might make a difference in lightly spiced dishes but when you throw it in like a rogan josh or something I just have a hard time believing anyone can taste it over all the other spices.

The X-man cometh
Why are you putting bay leaves into a Rogan Josh instead of cuddypatha?

Robot Made of Meat

Not only do bay leaves taste very much like something (dust), but they served to provide endless amusement for my sister and me when we were young. Every time my mom made lasagne, she'd forget to take the bay leaf out. Invariably, my dad would end up with it in his mouth, and end up swearing and ranting for the rest of the meal.

Not laughing at the spectacle was very important and very difficult.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

FactsAreUseless

Buy better bay leaves

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
can you buy super-bay leaves that are actually exploding with flavour?

like, Michael Bay leaves?

alnilam

bae leaves

alnilam

alnilam posted:

bae leaves

goodbye bae :sadwave:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Baywatch is actually about making sure everyone is served a dish that isn't phony or the spicing guild will fold space and arrive just before you serve an unauthorized dish and if you ask yourself "how could this be?" just remember, he IS the Kwisatz Haderach

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Bay City Rollers did more for furthering the cause of bay leaves more than any other, save one. David Hasselhoff

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
"Sittin' on the dock with this leaf, nibbling it gently with my teeth" -Otis "Bay leaves are no joke" Redding

poverty goat

it's all a scam by big bay leaf

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Pamela Anderson atempted to join the Spice Girls as "Bay Leaf Spice" but the other Spice Girls are still debating whether or not she qualifies to this day

Fredflonston

Eh I dunno I prefer oak or maple.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Fredflonston posted:

Eh I dunno I prefer oak or maple.

:420:

RatEarth

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
Bay leaves do add flavor to cooking but it's pretty light.

wearing a lampshade

Research concludes that subjects using the placebo bay leaf were 50% more likely to post questions to Yahoo Answers[1], Quora[2], and various internet comedy forums[3] asking questions about what bay leaves tasted like, whereas the subjects with the real bay leaves enjoyed peaceful, stress free lives (69% of these subjects used the word "chill" to describe their experience) and posted other content, like the hypothetical situation of using a gnome for a bong, a concept which many on the research team felt was quite compelling and worth further research.

joke_explainer

Conduct an experiment. Simmer water by itself and another pot with water plus bay leaf. You will notice a difference. Don’t eat the bay leaf tho.

Manifisto

But Aragorn smiled. 'It will serve,' he said. 'The worst is now over. Stay and be comforted!' Then taking two bay leaves, he laid them on his hands and breathed on them, and then he crushed them, and straightway a living freshness filled the room, as if the air itself awoke and tingled, sparkling with joy. And then he cast the bay leaves into the bowls of steaming water that were brought to him, and at once all hearts were lightened. For the fragrance that came to each was like a memory of steaming curries in some land of which the fair world in Spring is itself but a fleeting memory. But Aragorn stood up as one refreshed, and his eyes smiled as he held a bowl before Faramir's dreaming face.

Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, and he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light was kindled in his eyes, and he spoke softly. 'What the gently caress,' he said. "Get me some actual loving medicine."

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

But Aragorn smiled. 'It will serve,' he said. 'The worst is now over. Stay and be comforted!' Then taking two bay leaves, he laid them on his hands and breathed on them, and then he crushed them, and straightway a living freshness filled the room, as if the air itself awoke and tingled, sparkling with joy. And then he cast the bay leaves into the bowls of steaming water that were brought to him, and at once all hearts were lightened. For the fragrance that came to each was like a memory of steaming curries in some land of which the fair world in Spring is itself but a fleeting memory. But Aragorn stood up as one refreshed, and his eyes smiled as he held a bowl before Faramir's dreaming face.

Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, and he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light was kindled in his eyes, and he spoke softly. 'What the gently caress,' he said. "Get me some actual loving medicine."

"For of the Houses of Healing it is often said to be a strange place; they use bay leaves" -ancient Elvish proverb (said in a light, mocking tone)

deep dish peat moss

If you age them you can make Old Bay cheaper than buying it

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
is there a rapper named Young Bay yet?

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

wearing a lampshade

vanisher

lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

finally an authentic chai latte

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Chew and eat the bay leaf for extra flavor and esophageal perforation! Tasty dinner tonight and a couple of days off work afterwards!

alnilam

My friend and i once made up a superstition that if you got the bay leaf it was good luck but only if you ate it. We made up this superstition for no reason other than it sounded like it could be a real believable folksy thing, and then just for fun we followed it too (and cooked a lot together as we lived together). I've eaten scores of bay leaves by this point. As far as I know they are all gathering forces inside my bowels amd will be my undoing, but I'd like to think I've been a little bit luckier :)

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

My friend and i once made up a superstition that if you got the bay leaf it was good luck but only if you ate it. We made up this superstition for no reason other than it sounded like it could be a real believable folksy thing, and then just for fun we followed it too (and cooked a lot together as we lived together). I've eaten scores of bay leaves by this point. As far as I know they are all gathering forces inside my bowels amd will be my undoing, but I'd like to think I've been a little bit luckier :)

I swear I have heard this before, but not the "you have to eat it" part. I always assumed it was a cop out for the cook forgetting to take it out, or you just getting the bad luck of getting it in some dishes where it isn't easily removed. "Oh look you got it I guess you are lucky you bit into that tart dirt leaf, don't blame me!"

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

actually if you get the bay leaf you have to do the dishes

little munchkin
i feel the same way but with tea bags

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

little munchkin
if you want to drink tea then why would you take the bag out??? doesn't make any sense to me

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The X-man cometh
I use bay leaves so infrequently that they dry out and I have to throw in 4 to get any flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

The X-man cometh posted:

I use bay leaves so infrequently that they dry out and I have to throw in 4 to get any flavor.

i.e. the flavor of dusty leaves.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

• Locked thread