Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slimy Hog posted:

Let's talk about something not-terrible:

I am having a little boy this spring and am looking for a good saint's name for him! Let's talk about our favorite saints! Preferably those with life stories that can be told to a little kid.

Although I am Orthodox and am looking for a male saint, don't feel like you have to limit your discussion because of that.

saint guinefort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

My point is that even if you genuinely don't think you're being combative, you are.

I'm sorry man but I was responding to Senju who openly stated that he was 'shitposting' at me, so i'm not really feeling too bad about that particular (poo poo)post. I'm not the only one being combative. Also, I'm not especially interested in having an argument about sexuality and Christianity; I am, once again, responding to an argument that Gail began.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I'm sorry man but I was responding to Senju who openly stated that he was 'shitposting' at me, so i'm not really feeling too bad about that particular (poo poo)post. I'm not the only one being combative.

are you like deliberately misgendering me cause lmao

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Senju Kannon posted:

saint guinefort

The best of boys

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

I am having a little boy this spring and am looking for a good saint's name for him! Let's talk about our favorite saints! Preferably those with life stories that can be told to a little kid.

Although I am Orthodox and am looking for a male saint, don't feel like you have to limit your discussion because of that.

Hmm do you have any particular historic, ethnic, or national leanings? As in, would you have even a slight preference for e.g. Slavic, Greek, Americans, Church Fathers?

Or to put it another way, could you pick a couple important traits you really want to cultivate and nurture in your son?

Congrats by the way!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

names of my friends' kids
Magnus Maximilian
Augustinus

Names of kids i have met
Moritz (named after Maurice of Nassau)
Tilly (i hope they were named after the Tilly)

do one of those, op

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I'm sorry man but I was responding to Senju who openly stated that he was 'shitposting' at me, so i'm not really feeling too bad about that particular (poo poo)post. I'm not the only one being combative. Also, I'm not especially interested in having an argument about sexuality and Christianity; I am, once again, responding to an argument that Gail began.

turn the other cheek

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only problem is it sounds kinda like guinevere and that might cause problem re bullying

because children are versed in arthurian lore, i guess

aloysius is a good name for a real suggestion

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

turn the other cheek

Will do, but I'd appreciate it if you either didn't come at me for being combative or came at everyone in the argument

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Hmm do you have any particular historic, ethnic, or national leanings? As in, would you have even a slight preference for e.g. Slavic, Greek, Americans, Church Fathers?
the Alaskan saints are as American as it gets, what about Peter?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm sorry man but I was responding to Senju who openly stated that he

gently caress you

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

the Alaskan saints are as American as it gets, what about Peter?

I've thought about Peter since I've always a weird love for Alaska.

Pellisworth posted:

Or to put it another way, could you pick a couple important traits you really want to cultivate and nurture in your son?

Congrats by the way!

Regarding ethnic leanings, since we are going to give him the saint's name as his middle name, I'd rather not go with something SUPER Greek. My wife is Indian so we were also considering St. Thomas the Apostle, but other than that, no strong ethnic ties. So maybe American or one of the Fathers?

Since I suck at being Orthodox and my prayer rule is horrible, I would like to foster the opposite traits in him. Also care for the poor and needy.... So maybe St. Basil or St. John Chrysostom.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the congratulations!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife is Indian so we were also considering St. Thomas the Apostle, but other than that, no strong ethnic ties.
what about the Indian Orthodox in the southern tip of the subcontinent? Maybe look up some of their traditions and saints.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

gently caress you

oh lutha mahtin i didn't think you cared ;_;

i've given up on going to japan btw i don't think i'll be able to afford to learn japanese well enough to be admitted to school. i'm focused on trying to get a better job than the one i have now and that means i'm basically trying to start a real adult career and it's time for me to put away childish things

still trying to publish an article tho i don't really know why other than retail is incredibly mind numbing and i want something to actually think about and research while i look for better opportunities

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife is Indian so we were also considering St. Thomas the Apostle

don't take my advice but i think this is cute and cool :3:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slimy Hog posted:

I've thought about Peter since I've always a weird love for Alaska.

Regarding ethnic leanings, since we are going to give him the saint's name as his middle name, I'd rather not go with something SUPER Greek. My wife is Indian so we were also considering St. Thomas the Apostle, but other than that, no strong ethnic ties. So maybe American or one of the Fathers?

Since I suck at being Orthodox and my prayer rule is horrible, I would like to foster the opposite traits in him. Also care for the poor and needy.... So maybe St. Basil or St. John Chrysostom.

chrysostom rules and the experience of reading the mystical writings of one's saintly namesake would be really cool, imo. the downside is that there are a lot of St. Johns and that may dilute the attachment to any one in particular

i like the Thomas idea

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Will do, but I'd appreciate it if you either didn't come at me for being combative or came at everyone in the argument

That wasn't really my intention, I'd composed a post including something along the lines of "tbf Senju also tends to get pretty argumentative" but ditched that. Several posters are responding to you specifically, yes they're also being combative but you can't seem to let anything pass without a snarky reply. More than your beliefs, I think you're struggling with being a new poster to the thread. We mostly all know Senju, Lutha Mahtin, and HEY GAIL while you're an unknown quantity.

I do genuinely hope you stay active in the thread, but I suggest you learn to brush off some of the shitposting directed at you and also think twice or thrice before hitting Submit Reply.

I'm a gay Lutheran. We disagree on a ton of things, but I don't take it personally. This thread is driven by the mutual understanding to agree to disagree. Posters here represent a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, and beliefs, including pagans and buddhists and agnostics oh my!

We're not going to run you out for your beliefs, unless you're a Nazi or adhere to prosperity gospel, which ain't the case. But, please don't needlessly antagonize other posters, it's tedious and shits up the thread.

Lurk more, post less imo. Understand who you're talking to and whether they're shitposting or being dead serious. We have a lot of highly educated theologian-types and a bunch of shitposters like me, it runs the gamut.

Okay I think I'll end my participation in this slapfight there, cheers.

chrysostom rules and the experience of reading the mystical writings of one's saintly namesake would be really cool, imo. the downside is that there are a lot of St. Johns and that may dilute the attachment to any one in particular

i like the Thomas idea

yeah this is great input and thanks for shifting topics!

I guess my overall point would be if you're diving into hot water with your posting, be extra double triple careful you're not coming across as an rear end in a top hat. because that's not interesting or helpful

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 25, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I guess my overall point would be if you're diving into hot water with your posting, be extra double triple careful you're not coming across as an rear end in a top hat.

but it's my gimmick

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i resent the highly trained theologian/shtiposter binary i am BOTH

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

This thread is driven by the mutual understanding to agree to disagree. Posters here represent a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, and beliefs
but we tend liturgically conservative and lgbtq+

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but it's my gimmick

you are remarkably faithful to the actual Martin Luther :bigtran:

while much of the thread will disagree strongly with Luther's theology, I think we can all agree he is a prototypical goon and the thread's foremost scatalogian

Senju Kannon posted:

i resent the highly trained theologian/shtiposter binary i am BOTH

I have a science PhD which means I only get REAL MAD when it's about science vs. religion and am pretty terrible about theology

HEY GAIL posted:

but we tend liturgically conservative and lgbtq+

except for the filthy pagan and godless heathens :doom:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

but we tend liturgically conservative

I've been going sometimes to a congregation that's a bit.......low church :ssh:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've been going sometimes to a congregation that's a bit.......low church :ssh:

as long as you are suffering through it and in your shriveled Midwestern sola fide sola scriptura heart you yearn for incense and chanting

Protestantism is all about experiencing BIJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqsL0EqASM

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GAIL posted:

zone probably is, she's down with the Curia in everything. Worthleast may or may not be, because they've been extremely loving burned by the central authority of mainstream catholicism before, so what's their incentive to trust them in this?

Where am I? I kinda feel left out in these discussions because even though my conscience is clear that I follow the Magisterium, I seem to have beliefs that exclude me from the right or the left.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Where am I? I kinda feel left out in these discussions because even though my conscience is clear that I follow the Magisterium, I seem to have beliefs that exclude me from the right or the left.
i don't think of it as right or left, but as old (good) and new (bad)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

i don't think of it as right or left, but as old (good) and new (bad)

but old things were new at one point

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

you don't know if any of it is a good idea until they get old

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Senju Kannon posted:

modern humans evolved ca. 150-180 thousand years ago in Africa. what is the defining trait of modern humans? chins. I'm absolutely serious, chins are the singular feature that separates early hominins from humans

the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, earliest fossil evidence of life we have is ca. 3.8 billion

Big Bang was 13.8 billion years ago, we have no idea what existed before then, if at all

that means modern humans have existed for a tiny fraction of one percent of history

what I'm saying is stop being ageist, assholes

edit: inb4 Hapsburg chins that's not what I'm talking about HEY GAIL

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 25, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It remains to be seen if this new thing, humans, is good or not.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paladinus posted:

It remains to be seen if this new thing, humans, is good or not.

mostly bad

according to Orthodoxy, though, I might someday become a real boy?? is that how I do a theosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBTwgUwf76A

apparently I just need to be brave, truthful, and not selfish

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Slimy Hog posted:

I honestly think John-Baptist is the best saint name for a guy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
60 new posts never means the return of Christ.

Ultimately good, tho

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy huevos, ignore chernobyl people :eng99:

Caufman posted:

Ultimately good, tho

Humans are the dawn of what I would call a less perfect spirituality. Animals, plants and rocks aren't good or bad, they just are, which, left to their own devices, is usually a good thing.

We're more or less the only creatures to abstract away our reasons for destroying our home planet and each other, which is really loving unhealthy - but I would posit that it happens because we've lost touch with our interconnectedness to each other and all other life.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

Holy huevos, ignore chernobyl people :eng99:

Humans are the dawn of what I would call a less perfect spirituality. Animals, plants and rocks aren't good or bad, they just are, which, left to their own devices, is usually a good thing.

We're more or less the only creatures to abstract away our reasons for destroying our home planet and each other, which is really loving unhealthy - but I would posit that it happens because we've lost touch with our interconnectedness to each other and all other life.

Life in the universe (and therefore the universe itself) certainly doesn't look like it's done metamorphosing. On this planet, humans are new in that they call things good or bad. More as an attitude rather than a discovery, I choose to call the entire cosmos good and behave accordingly. And the sapient existence of humans is a part of that unbroken reality; we're not here as a mistake of natural law. However the history of humans plays out, I'm optimistic about the ultimate meaning of the cosmos. Between now and then, though, every kind of tragedy and disaster is possible, maybe even Cthulhu-esque disasters.

But none of that optimism should narcotize me into early inaction, though it's easy to see why I'd want it to. The work has got to be done, or else the kibble just spreads.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, this owns:

Christianity Thread Part 3: every kind of tragedy and disaster is possible, maybe even Cthulhu-esque

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Caufman posted:

Finally, with the creation of a new thread I am not + 2.000 posts behind catching up on the current thread topic, but only instantly 150 posts behind!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grandmother of Five posted:

Finally, with the creation of a new thread I am not + 2.000 posts behind catching up on the current thread topic, but only instantly 150 posts behind!

"Oh hey, now that I have a non-shameful-newbie avatar, I can contribute meaningfully to the new christian thr-- 160 posts!?"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah, PSA for thread newbies (if there is such a thing): if the Christianity thread develops suspiciously many posts overnight, it's almost never a good sign

You know what's a good sign? This one:

:haw:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

HEY GAIL posted:

but we tend liturgically conservative

https://youtu.be/fvJ73WJU6KA

That's a song (a prayer for those who have it rough, essentially) from the best Mass ever, The Finnish Mass. We have all kinds of specialty Masses here, from metal to dance and everything in between and they all follow the core liturgy. The Finnish Mass does too, but it's more like a total conversion mod than one that only adds overpowered units to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

You are correct.

I won't quote the rest of this but my hot take is basically that faithful Catholics don't really have to be constantly reminded of Church teachings on LGBTQ+ issues because they're not some sort of secret. It's something that they have to work out for themselves.

The Church's teachings on usury are so strict that anyone who works in finance shouldn't even be taking Communion (imo), but somehow there isn't any equivalent of LifeSiteNews or Crisis that talks about the "banker agenda" or "gilded mafia in the curiate."

• Locked thread