Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Late to the party, but genuinely want to know, why is a radiator heater better efficiency than a graphics card? Is it just the kinetic energy of the fans spinning on a gpu? Doesn't that turn to heat anyway?

Again, this is not ironic posting, please don't jump down my throat, just want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So how are the people who do a million trades a day with bots even doing all their accounting? Seems like a nightmare.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Man wtf how do you not take out literal millions of usd that you have in a meme coin? Even if you're a true believer at least take out half because that's a lot of money!!

I have a mate who more than tripled 150k and wouldn't pull out even at least what he put in. Like maybe you like gambling and speculating coz it's your rush or whatever but please take a bit of profit when you can or at least equalize what you put in plus inflation.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

During the last crash Nicehash also blocked withdrawals. They seem to only experience attempted hacks when the market is in freefall isn't that a super weird coincidence

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

the only way capitalism will end will be the entire destruction of our planet

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I don't really get why people don't wear pants at home. At least put on some basketball shorts?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

I wonder if prices are going up only because people can't cash out, only cash in.

I mean in this thread somebody paid off their mortgage or whatever so there is some kind of arcane pathway to get out and some people clearly make that cash money off the backs of poor souls stuck holding the bag hoping soon someone else will be.

The exchanges are super shady from what it seems like. When the big crash happened a month ago or whatever from 60k to 30k, they all mysteriously had "api issues" or "server issues" or whatever, and it's obvious that they straight up disabled trading and cashing out to stop the run, and then the true believers are all earnestly saying "binance needs to upgrade their infrastructure so it doesn't happen again" while punching in their CC details to buy the dip.

Just a super weird dissonance and they'd be the first to levy the same accusation were this to happen in any other situation.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

uses for bitcoin miners outside of mining

• drying strawberries
  • turning the lake into a hot spring

Getting heatstroke

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

buglord posted:

What are some ways I can tell my coworkers no to bitcoin, but in a cool way so I am not made fun of?

So, in my opinion, I feel like people sort of come to an understanding on their own, maybe like a fork in the road (not fork in a coin), where they'll continue onward or not. That is when they realize that there's always going to be somebody holding the bag.

The first thought, naturally, will be the risk to themselves: What if I'm left holding the bag?

The second thought is: If I'm not the one left holding the bag, somebody else is.

It's at this point people go all in or not, and that's got to do with your own personality: Are you okay with somebody else losing so you can win?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all you can really do is get them to this understanding quicker, but from there you have no control and you're not going to change their minds (and you can't really get made fun of for being sympathetic to the bag holder who loses the ability to feed his family).

Even the "true believers" only truly believe that they won't be the one holding the bag should it all come crashing down, despite preaching evergreen growth.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 14, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ok I know about the coiner who gave himself heat stroke and brain damage, but did somebody really kill themselves with LN2?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

for a while now the game has been every time it drops below 30 the bots real investors will jump in with a massive pile of tether united states dollars to prop it back up again, there's definitely enough new real money and attention here to keep this going to the moon

The bouncing has been so obvious. Nearing 30k? Wow all of a sudden it's back to 33k. Like clockwork. Eth about to touch 1899? Nope, 1975 right away! They would have you believe that it's the sheer volume of DCA'ers seeing an opportunity to lower the cost of their average buy in, but how many of these are people were there before BTC was up at 30k? It just doesn't make that much sense.

Also would love to hear the story of the miner who committed unexpected hara kiri via ln2 because that sounds insane if true.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So why did the butts go up? I thought tether had to turn off their printers while they do their audit?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I use Bitwarden but sometimes wonder how dumb it is having a master password I can easily remember.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I still don't understand why you would buy an nft of a diamond, instead of just the diamond itself. Or is the assumption that when you buy thr nft of a diamond, the seller mails the actual diamond to you, too?

I doubly don't understand why you would buy an nft of a diamond that was lost in a fire.

Like how can this nft have any value to store if nobody wants to buy it?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's funny that they only call it a rug-pull when the creator walks away without actually giving out the NFTs... Guys, at the end of the day you paid $5k for a receipt for a JPG, you still got ripped off even if you end up "owning" the JPG

I was thinking about this the other day and it really confused me. Can somebody more tech savvy explain what would be required to actually "own" the "original" jpeg? Let's say it gets uploaded to a server, isn't that just a copy of the "original" jpeg? So it's already a "print". What happens when you cut and paste something in Windows? Is it copied and then the original deleted? Can you "physically" transfer the 1s and 0s behind a jpeg from one location to another or is it all just an abstraction of energy/electrons? Like, what if we move to computer operating systems that no longer can "resolve" whatever makes a jpeg a jpeg?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What eventually happened to the Hawaii group?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Despite watching Bitcoin (and never ever touching the poop) myself through these SA threads for a decade now, this is the first time someone close to me has fully bought into it all and its depressing to watch him going down the rabbit hole.

Someone close to me starting touching the poop and became a true believer very rapidly. At one point they "tripled" their "investment", but of course never cashed out even when I urged them to at the ath. At least take out what you put in, you know? The rest can be 'gravy'.

The most memorable bit of the multiple pitches was when they transitioned from telling me how they were a leftist, right into an anti-government, anti-regulation, anti-tax spiel that crypto supposedly "protects" against.

Someone else upthread talked about it and I can't remember what they said, but the gist was that true believers truly believe that they will get their lambo and be rich, and that they won't be the bag holder. Their ideology transforms from "nobody should have to be a bag holder" to "if you're the bag holder, you just did x wrong, sucks to be you".

I've know this family member a long time and they didn't express these libertarian fygm thoughts before until crypto.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It's pretty easy to see why number go up touches the same brain neurons that gambling does. But like gambling, the game is rigged and sooner or later you're gonna lose aka hold the bags.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Avynte posted:

You fetishize an unregulated economic wild west, you get to deal with the consequences.

The almost tragic thing about this is that there are heaps of earnest true believers who aren't out to scam others or want to take advantage of no regulation and commit fraud or whatever, but instead believe that the real world financial system is rigged and controlled by just a tiny few puppetmasters locking them into being poor, and that crypto is somehow the antidote to this. Except it's the exact same poo poo in crypto and if you're a retail "investor" you are always, always going to get hosed at one point or another and all the big money is going to get bailed out as we saw with the UST/Luna horror show.

Crypto gives a direct line to the poor to feed their money to the rich like a reverse ATM.

I now unfortunately know two people who have borrowed money from a bank to buy crypto, and one was right before the crash recently, the other during the 2017 boom and subsequent crash. Both of them share the same beliefs that they'll never be able to get out of the rent/work/rent/work never-own-anything spiral and both are probably correct in that appraisal of their future / prospects, but both barreled headfirst into crypto thinking it offered a way out.

It's not funny, it's sad.

Tons of people have gotten rich in crypto but it has always, always, always been at the expense of others. It's just bleeding the poor and desperate (and greedy) even more and funneling all of that money ever upward. Just like the real world, would you look at that.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So is this it? Is it happening?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

anyone got $25000 or $1300 they want to spend on fake money. Time is right

Great opportunity to become a Whole Coiner!!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

"whether someone can identify as a different race and be allowed to use the n word"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

Funds do not appear to be safe

Ahem... Its Safu

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Why number go up

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

don't worry funds and names are safu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So are regular people who used FTX to hodl their coins just gonna lose all their poo poo? Like, yeah, it's funny, but Scam Bankman Fraud is still gonna never want for anything after this and normal people are gonna be the ones footing the bill?