Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shifty Pony posted:

What's really wild about this list is that Mercola has been doing his quack poo poo for years and years and years. He uses the same tactics he always has (spinning up shell organizations to throw out every possible variation of the quack science then abandoning the ones that the algorithm doesn't help take root) and isn't even slightly subtle about it.

The fact that he and his various shell organizations aren't "permaban on sight" is a damning indictment of social media.
I bet he Drives Engagement, though, and isn't that what counts?

Engagement.

You know what else gets engaged? Panzers at Kursk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

First your family member is already wrong because the ATH of bitcoin was $67K. Also how incredibly annoying for him to put that in there.

And none of the major cryptocurrencies use proof of stake, so he is also misinformed on that part.

But yes, lots of people are trying to refer to it as "energy storage" even though that makes absolutely no sense. Bitcoin has no way to either store energy or reproduce the output of stored energy at a later time.

We should not tie the harm of bitcoin to just its energy consumption. The energy consumption is bad, yes, but that is not the sole reason that Bitcoin is dumb. This whole energy storage narrative is the result of bitcoin enthusiasts trying to worm their way around the issue that Bitcoin mining and verification consumes a large amount of energy that in the end is extremely wasteful (since even a large portion of the work in Bitcoin is thrown away once the next Bitcoin has been mined since everyone else basically has to start over with the new Bitcoin as the source of its hashing.)

That price is in Aussie fun bucks.

But yeah it's all insane BS, but it was a line of arguing I hadn't heard before so I was curious if that "energy storage" line of talk was something he'd stumbled to himself or not.

Despite watching Bitcoin (and never ever touching the poop) myself through these SA threads for a decade now, this is the first time someone close to me has fully bought into it all and its depressing to watch him going down the rabbit hole.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still say the best explanation for why all the NFT ideas about video games are absurd if 'What if you bought a football and then brought the points scored on it into baseball, and and and' because that's exactly how stupid it sounds.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bitcoins aren't batteries. Your relative is a loving idiot.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1480236840431067141?s=20

Oh god this thread

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still say the best explanation for why all the NFT ideas about video games are absurd if 'What if you bought a football and then brought the points scored on it into baseball, and and and' because that's exactly how stupid it sounds.

Or what if you could have a BFG9000 in Madden

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ymgve posted:

Didn't gmod solve this poo poo at least 15 years ago

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Despite watching Bitcoin (and never ever touching the poop) myself through these SA threads for a decade now, this is the first time someone close to me has fully bought into it all and its depressing to watch him going down the rabbit hole.

Someone close to me starting touching the poop and became a true believer very rapidly. At one point they "tripled" their "investment", but of course never cashed out even when I urged them to at the ath. At least take out what you put in, you know? The rest can be 'gravy'.

The most memorable bit of the multiple pitches was when they transitioned from telling me how they were a leftist, right into an anti-government, anti-regulation, anti-tax spiel that crypto supposedly "protects" against.

Someone else upthread talked about it and I can't remember what they said, but the gist was that true believers truly believe that they will get their lambo and be rich, and that they won't be the bag holder. Their ideology transforms from "nobody should have to be a bag holder" to "if you're the bag holder, you just did x wrong, sucks to be you".

I've know this family member a long time and they didn't express these libertarian fygm thoughts before until crypto.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
sounds like you got a tim pool in your life

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Senor Tron posted:

But yeah it's all insane BS, but it was a line of arguing I hadn't heard before so I was curious if that "energy storage" line of talk was something he'd stumbled to himself or not.

well yeah, because obviously american US dollars are all that matters! oops.

the only thing you can really do is hope they haven't put an absurd amount of their savings into bitcoin and cryptocurrency.

my entire high school friend group that i am still pretty close to.. all of them have put money into bitcoin.. or at least i hope its bitcoin and not some other shitcoin or rugpull scam. i'm really the only person in the group that has not bought in. i tried to explain the negatives of bitcoin but in the end despite how i tried to explain some of the technical aspects and also about tether, most of them ignored what i said by saying, "well yeah but i don't have much of my net worth in cryptocurrency so if it goes to poo poo i'll still be okay"

one of them recently talked to me about NFTs. he wanted to make some "music" ones and i told him it was a bad idea. basically any "use case" he described to me about what NFTs could do my basic counter argument is, they can just create a patreon for that... or, they won't be able to make money and its really risky. in the end i think he may have at least some doubts about creating them. basically the biggest argument i had against them is they cost a lot of money to make and there's no guarantee you won't lose a ton of money. i also pointed out the reason those stupid ape nfts made money was because they had a ton of money for marketing them. i hope he won't go through with it.

yet another one of my friends in this group wanted to talk to me about eurodollars and how they're kinda analogous to "tether" thing i had mentioned. once he read about eurodollars and the possible fallout from them he told me he was much more bearish about bitcoin/crypto. that's good.

anyways the best you can hope for is they aren't completely all-in on it...

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The "Bitcoin is a store of energy" thing makes me feel dumber for having read it.

It also made me picture a cryptocultist dreaming of a Bitcoin-fueled Lamborghini, but that doesn't really balance the equation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The "Bitcoin is a store of energy" thing makes me feel dumber for having read it.

It also made me picture a cryptocultist dreaming of a Bitcoin-fueled Lamborghini, but that doesn't really balance the equation.

If you don't think bitcoiners have infinite energy clearly you never tried arguing with one.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

let me tell you about how coinerz think they can uplift a medieval ironage civ with a buttcoin loom or their dumb ideas of using ham radio to have a butt network if Fallout becomes real.

or not because both those ideas are stupid as gently caress.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I dunno, I still hold some nostalgia for web .5 "the BBSening."

My best bud’s computer had one of the “put your phone receiver on the modem’s ‘cups’ to dial” type features and it was all kinds of futuristic poo poo. Because of that, I was more impressed by the advance to internal modems than the insanity of broadband-by-laser-from-space in the near-future Mars missions.

All I want from Neuralink is a 3.5 mm DataJack hidden under a fake mole behind my left ear…

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/VitalikButerin/status/1479815125955715072

vitalik seems to miss the entire point of moxie's article, especially the part about centralization.

moxie: centralization can move faster than their decentralized counterparts, thats why everyone is using and developing on these centralized platforms
vitalik: you're right but decentralization is coming soon, we've only existed for 4 years.. so eventually we will get decentralized versions!

seems like he just completely ignores moxie's point while also proving it by saying that it is coming soon.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

ymgve posted:

Ok now I'm on board with NFTs.

Talorat posted:

Honestly the only use case I can think of for NFTs is the one that no producer actually wants, and that’s giving users a way to sell used copies of licenses for games, music, etc. It would actually be very cool if you could sell a steam game when you were done with it as easily as a physical copy, but absolutely no game company would want to engage with that and lose sales to the secondary market.
If we just restrict it to the broader assets like games, albums, etc then I could see the logic and even appeal for publishers like Sony, Microsoft, etc getting involved and making the software licence an NFT that can be transferred between people, as they could set it up so they receive a % royalty for each onward sale. They might even decide that they stand to make a bit more money that way from people who would never have bought the game at full price. The problem, as you point out, is that this is the opposite of what NFTbros are interested in - i.e. selling appreciating assets. All it would really do is enable people who prefer buying stuff digitally, for whatever reason, to resell those games/whatever once they've finished with them, as opposed to having them sit there in their library untouched forevermore.

The problem there though is despite what NFTbros may think or desire, it is Sony, Microsoft and co who are the gatekeepers of enabling that, and they're only ever likely to consider it if they think the potential profits outweigh the technical, logistical & support costs. Technically, they could have implemented a marketplace in their respective software that facilitated transference of digital titles, with or without taking a cut themselves, many years ago if they had wanted to. It's telling that even Valve who basically kicked digital marketplaces and arguably the worlds second cryptocurrency (just barely older than Bitcoin) in TF2 "keys" with Team Fortress 2 does not facilitate game reselling.

NFTbros seem to dwell under the delusion that they can wrestle ownership of IP from publishers, whilst still compelling them to facilitate everything that makes that asset have any value. Sony, Microsoft and co are ultimately the gatekeepers of that asset, they are the ones hosting it, they're the ones that enable (or disable) its use, so talking as if all of this stuff is inevitable while they are unwilling or even irrelevant (somehow?) participants is naive to say the least.

I can only assume that the new world order of COVID, lockdowns, etc has warped tech bro brains beyond their normal "wouldn't it be amazing if" thought processes to the absolute extreme where none of this stuff is even considered. Or, perhaps more cynically, it is inconvenient to consider because it stands to take the wind out of NFT hype.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i'm sorry i just had to share how insane this is:

https://ellegriffin.substack.com/p/crypto-funded-nft-novel

quote:

In other words, she’s going to mint the whole book as an NFT and sell it to one person (likely via auction) and all of the 104 people who own a percentage of that book will get to keep that percentage of the profits (including the author who retains 30 percent ownership of the book).

If someone buys the book for the equivalent of $100,000, then the person who owns 14 percent in her book will earn the equivalent of $14,000. If someone else buys it after that for an even higher price, they’ll all benefit again, profiting from each sale as it grows in value, much like the dividends we earn from a stock that goes up in value.

To put it simply: In the traditional publishing world, an author has to sell 42,000 copies of their book at $15 apiece to earn $100,000. Using the creator economy, an author has to sell 1,000 subscriptions at $9/month to earn $100,000. In the web3 world, an author only has to sell one NFT to earn $100,000.

And all of this is very fascinating because no one actually has to like, or even read the book for it to be an intensely lucrative endeavor—and maybe that’s a good thing. Because perhaps the problem with publishing has always been that we’re relying on the end-user to pay for it. When maybe art should be free for the end-user and paid for by a benefactor instead.

maybe if you want to get rick quick writing novels isn't the right place? it's a dying loving industry lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Lol. I could see this getting turned into some publishers supporting some dumb 64x64 icon bitmap that you can “own” and carry from game to game and have as your twitter icon or something like that and even then it would be a stretch. And would probably break so it would just show the “missing picture” default after 8 months when some exchange folds or whatever.

Scenarios that are reasonable to implement like a player logo then run in to the bigger roadblock to any of this from ever happening: if NFTs work across games, who makes the money? Some rear end in a top hat has sold you a monkey jpeg that you want to be your icon in my game, ok. That's not that hard to implement. But what's in it for me? I didn't get anything from that sale. Why don't you buy a new jpeg on *my* in-game shop to use. I'll even make an NFT for you so it's yours.

The only thing I've ever seen in response to this objection is "players will demand it" which is a great laugh. Oh, I see you're unfamiliar with video games, where players demand things constantly. And most of the time they get told to gently caress off. Say yes to everything your players demand and you get Star Citizen.

Durzel posted:

If we just restrict it to the broader assets like games, albums, etc then I could see the logic and even appeal for publishers like Sony, Microsoft, etc getting involved and making the software licence an NFT that can be transferred between people, as they could set it up so they receive a % royalty for each onward sale. They might even decide that they stand to make a bit more money that way from people who would never have bought the game at full price. The problem, as you point out, is that this is the opposite of what NFTbros are interested in - i.e. selling appreciating assets. All it would really do is enable people who prefer buying stuff digitally, for whatever reason, to resell those games/whatever once they've finished with them, as opposed to having them sit there in their library untouched forevermore.

But why does it need to be a NFT? If MS, Sony etc wanted to do that they could just do it without the NFT part. Like how Valve's marketplace allows you to sell cards and items, and Valve takes 10% of each sale.

But the whole idea is wrong because publishers already make money from people who wouldn't have bought the game on full price, with stuff like sales and gamepass. There's zero incentive for the company to split revenue with current owners. Even if they set the digital contract to have a obnoxious split, like gamestop when you trade in an old game that nobody wants. Why give that $2 to someone else?

It's really easy to change prices on digital items like games. Publishers can already find that "used market price" for their game and match it, if they wanted to. (They don't though, they keep prices higher and then use sales as a promotional tool.)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Horizon Burning posted:

maybe if you want to get rick quick writing novels isn't the right place? it's a dying loving industry lmao

Counterpoint: Chuck Tingle and his divine novella featuring love stories between men and their desires that haunt them. No one can describe the beauty of a man struggling against his coin like Chuck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

If you used the waste heat from you mining rig to drive some kind of energy storage device like pumping water up to a higher elevation, then technically bitcoin could be used for energy storage. This would be very, very stupid of course since if you weren't wasting energy in the first place you wouldn't have anything to store and the efficiency would he crazy low; I'd guess sub-10%.

Arguing that bitcoin is energy storage makes the part of my brain that stores my thermodynamics class knowledge want to take up drinking.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

i'm sorry i just had to share how insane this is:

https://ellegriffin.substack.com/p/crypto-funded-nft-novel

drat, I can’t believe I forgot how easy it is to find someone who will buy my self-published novel for $100k

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Horizon Burning posted:

quote:

And all of this is very fascinating because no one actually has to like, or even read the book for it to be an intensely lucrative endeavor—and maybe that’s a good thing.

Yeah, if you want to get paid for this writing I'd say it's a good thing to avoid needing to enjoy, or even read, it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dinosaurs! posted:

drat, I can’t believe I forgot how easy it is to find someone who will buy my self-published novel for $100k
Just sell your novel for a hundred grand, bing bong so simple.

Klyith posted:

Scenarios that are reasonable to implement like a player logo then run in to the bigger roadblock to any of this from ever happening: if NFTs work across games, who makes the money? Some rear end in a top hat has sold you a monkey jpeg that you want to be your icon in my game, ok. That's not that hard to implement. But what's in it for me? I didn't get anything from that sale. Why don't you buy a new jpeg on *my* in-game shop to use. I'll even make an NFT for you so it's yours.

The only thing I've ever seen in response to this objection is "players will demand it" which is a great laugh. Oh, I see you're unfamiliar with video games, where players demand things constantly. And most of the time they get told to gently caress off. Say yes to everything your players demand and you get Star Citizen.
Dlc corking fees. Dlc for your dlc. Basically charge extra for people who want their NFTs integrated. If they're buying NFTs, you know they're good for it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nessus posted:

I bet he Drives Engagement, though, and isn't that what counts?

Engagement.

You know what else gets engaged? Panzers at Kursk!

They changed the names of this poo poo to "KOL"'s. Literally "key opinion leaders". It kinda gets closer and closer to stasi-ish.

sounds pretty accurate, actually. Having a linked agenda behind crypto yet again pretty much adds up to all of this, and doesn't surprise me too much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They changed the names of this poo poo to "KOL"'s. Literally "key opinion leaders". It kinda gets closer and closer to stasi-ish.

sounds pretty accurate, actually. Having a linked agenda behind crypto yet again pretty much adds up to all of this, and doesn't surprise me too much.

lol that it's a history of utter cranks who have massive influence over the course of civilisation and explain so much

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

funeral home DJ posted:

Counterpoint: Chuck Tingle and his divine novella featuring love stories between men and their desires that haunt them. No one can describe the beauty of a man struggling against his coin like Chuck.

Waiting for Chuck Tingle to sell an NFT titled "hosed in the rear end by this literal NFT that is being purchased".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's a little funny how all the NFT stuff is predicated both on the 'free market' as well as the belief that these things will inevitably increase in value. The possibility that in a year's time people will simply not care about your JPG never crosses their mind.

Or the book idea. The actual noun in question is completely irrelevant. Simply by being an NFT, its value will increase indefinitely.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

syntaxfunction posted:

Waiting for Chuck Tingle to sell an NFT titled "hosed in the rear end by this literal NFT that is being purchased".

Chuck Tingle: Not Pounded By My Book ‘Pounded In The Butt By My Non-Fungible Tingler That Is Literally This NFT’ Because Of The Current Catastrophic Environmental And Ethical Impact

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What's the point of a Joe Rogan parody so perfect, it's indistinguishable from the real thing?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Klyith posted:

But why does it need to be a NFT? If MS, Sony etc wanted to do that they could just do it without the NFT part. Like how Valve's marketplace allows you to sell cards and items, and Valve takes 10% of each sale.

But the whole idea is wrong because publishers already make money from people who wouldn't have bought the game on full price, with stuff like sales and gamepass. There's zero incentive for the company to split revenue with current owners. Even if they set the digital contract to have a obnoxious split, like gamestop when you trade in an old game that nobody wants. Why give that $2 to someone else?

It's really easy to change prices on digital items like games. Publishers can already find that "used market price" for their game and match it, if they wanted to. (They don't though, they keep prices higher and then use sales as a promotional tool.)
You're right, it doesn't. I probably articulated my point badly. What I was trying to say is that NFTbros cite stuff like used games "ownership", etc as a revelatory hook of NFTs, without consideration for the parties that would have to agree to participate for it to work at all, or the fact that they could have provided exactly the same functionality (a used games marketplace) on their platforms years ago if they were inclined to. That they haven't in spite of having marketplace tech baked into their products shows that they aren't interested in it for commercial reasons.

The thing with these things though is that it's inconvenient to actually think through the logic of them beyond "wouldn't it be great if", because to do so risks diminishing the hype necessary to capture more rubes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Well loving touche Mr Tingle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Klyith posted:

Yeah the publishers will treat the NFTs like a one way street, where you can buy the "unique" items in their domain (like UBISoft's plan) (unique in that they are just certain items that have an individual serial number).

Something like the player icon/avatar that can go across publishers is totally true what you say - it wouldn't be a huge lift for them to do it but would they care and how do they get their money? If they don't and they can't they won't do it.

I haven't followed SC in a while (other than hearing they have raised $426mil to date recently :wtc:) and have they done any ~BlOcKChaIN~ features yet? I would be shocked if they didn't jump in on this bubble rather than actually finish the loving thing anytime soon.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Gravatar exists and doesn’t need a blockchain.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DominoKitten posted:

Gravatar exists and doesn’t need a blockchain.

Yeah exactly this, I was blanking on the name of it but monetizing that is something I could see nft bros trying.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Something like the player icon/avatar that can go across publishers is totally true what you say - it wouldn't be a huge lift for them to do it but would they care and how do they get their money? If they don't and they can't they won't do it.

So the other thing about the idea is that even the easiest-to-implement versions, like avatar pics or whatnot, is effectively another source of user-generated content. And that means that any game using it that doesn't want to be flooded with penis pictures has a problem. Now you have to put the same effort as Nintendo and MS into blocking / removing dicks.

The whole metaverse concept, as unrealistic as it is anyways, has this same issue. Either you police content or the sexweirdos move in and chase off the normal users, leaving you with Second Life.

priznat posted:

I haven't followed SC in a while (other than hearing they have raised $426mil to date recently :wtc:) and have they done any ~BlOcKChaIN~ features yet? I would be shocked if they didn't jump in on this bubble rather than actually finish the loving thing anytime soon.

Nope, which is the only good thing I'll say about SC.

But the general gaming audience is prettily heavily down on NFTs -- look at the reactions to Ubi and Square. So I think that Roberts avoiding them is not some principled move. They rely on selling a dream game to a small audience of middle-aged gamers. The spaceship investors have long since gone.

Or it could just be that a conman knows a con.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Star Citizens schtick is they are doing what a dozen other games are doing but in one place and worse. They're in an advantageous position that they don't need to worry about doing a thing till everyone else has.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
a guy at my poker game declared that the best advice you can get right now is to cash out as much as you can and put it all into crypto because the banks are going to collapse in "one or two years". even ignoring the fact that we as a society are not going to just transition to a currency that 99.9% of the world owns literally zero of do these people realize that Bitcoin can only handle like, 3 transactions a second? it's crazy, these people do nothing all day but read about this poo poo and yet they understand almost nothing about it??

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Paladinus posted:

What's the point of a Joe Rogan parody so perfect, it's indistinguishable from the real thing?

YO did they actually do a 12 hour parody!?

I mean I know the video is 12 hours long but is it looped to just appear like 12 hours of unique content or

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
All these people know is “magical money printing machine” and don’t bother looking into what it actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

mkvltra posted:

YO did they actually do a 12 hour parody!?

I mean I know the video is 12 hours long but is it looped to just appear like 12 hours of unique content or

its only an hour looped 12 times but it is extremely funny