Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Powershift posted:

Did you not see their audit?

mr police man we gave you all the clues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

So I was reading about the legislation that led to Coinbase and basically all of the other exchanges blocking Hawaii residents from having accounts, and the requirements actually seem pretty reasonable: they have to have enough cash (USD) on hand to cover any cryptocurrencies held on that exchange by Hawaii residents. Presumably they should already be practicing some sort of fractional reserve banking in case a ton of people want to withdraw all at once, but Hawaii is one of the least populous US states, so presumably covering that few people should be easy to accomplish even with a really risky reserve like 1%. The key here is that they're only required to hold 100% reserve for Hawaii residents, so in practice that'd be comparable to something like a 0.5% reserve overall

As a point of reference, US banks are required to keep a 10% fractional reserve. But that's apparently way more (like at least an order of magnitude more) than any cryptocurrency exchange is willing to meet.

Does this suggest that Coinbase actually has much smaller cash reserves than anyone realizes?

speaking of coinbase is anyone even able to get money from them? Is there any exchange that will you more than 10k at a time if you decide to liquidate or is every exchange promising a cheeseburger tuesday or whatever the gently caress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big K of Justice posted:

It's a poo poo show to liquidate a large amount at once as a bunch of friends and idiots I know found out recently. They assumed it would be just as easy to sell as it is to buy, eg. just hit sell and it'll be cashed out in milliseconds like a real stock exchange except nope.. it can take a few business days to get the money, and then it's via bank transfer/whatever.

A friend wound up selling about $18,000 "worth" of bitcoins for $12,000 cash outside the exchanges. He figured he would be hit with capital gains with the difference anyway, and that's when he realized that was how people were really making money with btc.

well at least he got 12k in hand I assume, and not a bag of amazon giftcards off some guy from localbitcoins

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

:laffo: I just checked my email and found this little gem:

that's right, like from the news

mods

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

At this point expect any company in its death throes to suddenly announce "BLOCKCHAIN!!!" to get some free idiotsmart money

chapter 777: Blockchaindisruptcy!!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Genderfluent posted:

NO OFFICER! CHEKC THE BLOCKCHAIN

That's the sound of the men working on the blockchain ga-a-ang

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nessus posted:

Even if we grant that these problems are more due to incompetence than the dark paw of Tibanne, it sounds like it's a pretty widespread problem. Then again, it is being protectively cloaked by this attitude, so the music can play a little while longer.

someone plz post Phoenix Wright Tibanne gif

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Party Boat posted:

I love that actual gold rush tactics are working on internet gold

the chinese aren't leaving china though?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm genuinely curious what the most liquid asset Overstock sells that you would use to launder it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

The fun part was that if you cancelled the order after paying in bcash you would be refunded in BTC. 85% discount on BTC

"HELL YEAH!"

*bitcoin crashes*

"NUTS"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The guy who spent 100 million dollars in bitcoin on a pizza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy83ins6p-M

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

someone plz mansplain this joke to me like im a pretty female and you want to have sex with me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

you see 2FA stands for 2 factor authentication but instead the shoeshine boy (this burn is coming to you from the 80s) thought it was a tip on a cryptocurrency / ICO and wanted to buy it

:eng99:

man I went the other way with it. I thought XRP was a security protocol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Dudes stop with the money dick measuring and post more stuff like this

lol fdic? more like fass

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Excellent reinforcement as to why and hold. We need to keep our eyes out for the *big prize*. I believe this is a lifetime opportunity, and those of us who missed getting in early with bitcoin, have another chance.

Imagine how much tenacity it took for holders of bitcoin to get through to this place where the rewards have been so tremendous. Crypto is the new ticket. Small dollars downside risk, thousands to the upside reward. This could be the opportunity to set your self up for the rest of your life. Forget the lottery. Crypto is the ticket to buy.

source your quotes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

lol apparently his alias was Coolio
*microsoft groove music maker synthline plays*

Keep spending most our lives
Livin' in a hacka's paradise
Been spending most their lives
Livin' in a hacka's paradise

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

jonathan posted:

I highly doubt he was satoshi and never claimed that. But the timeline of when he was talking about the project jives with my theory that he helped or contributed to the original design. When they started to become accepted for buying drugs he pretty much considered the project a success.

But then his crazy girlfriend wanted to get them both thrown in jail so he killed himself via overdose.

His name was Dennis Moran.

so what happened to the gf

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

The gf was actually CARLA MARK FORCE IV

Some classic lols for the newer people: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-03-30/bitcoin-secret-agents-were-pirates-themselves

please do not doxx his roleplay

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Moxxis Endowment posted:

drat, that guy really hated his wife.

You'd think a guy with that kind of money could hire a lawyer to spring him when there's no charge

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Dennis Moran is a very bitcoin name and that second link has a very bitcoin picture of him, so in my head canon that makes him the most likely candidate for the true identity of Satoshi

The father of cryptocurrency:

The words on his headstone:

his friend should find his computers and become the bitcount of monte cristo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ccs posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/style/bitcoin-millionaires.html

So how does moving to Puerto Rico, which is a US territory, allow them not to pay US taxes?
Also doesn't he know that Atlantis, yknow, sunk?

they probably just assumed puerto rice was a libertarian paradise since the federal government won't actually touch it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

A libertarian modern day Atlantis. Isn't that the plot to Bioshock?

is a man not entitled to the sweat of his butt?

A man chooses, a slave obeys!

*gets hit by hammer*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Coinbase is not your only option if you want to legitimately buy Bitcoin, Ethereum or Litecoin, at the moment it is the most well known due to their marketing efforts, however that does not mean that other options are not available.

Below are some of the other well known sites that allow you to purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.

Global Exchanges:

CEX - You can buy Bitcoin and Ethereum instantly. Supports all countries worldwide and verification is fast and simple.

You can also buy and sell up to 10 Bitcoins or 200 Ethereum per order and the fees are lower than most of the other exchanges I have tried.

Verified accounts can deposit/withdraw up to $10,000 worth per day, or up to $100,000 per month via both credit card and bank transfer, at higher verification levels all limits are removed.

At one point they had to temporarily stop user registrations due to the rapid influx of new users.

Coinmama - This is a good site to buy Bitcoins and Ethereum instantly with a debit or credit card.

Accounts verified with a passport can buy $10,000 worth, accounts verified with 2 forms of ID can buy $50,000 worth and accounts with Level 3 verification and above have no limits. This site supports all countries worldwide.

European based exchange:

BitPanda - If you live in Europe this is the best option hands down, you can buy and sell Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin and Dash instantly and Gold verification only takes about 10 minutes - this exchange is only available for European customers at the moment but it is a really excellent exchange.

Gold verification allows you to buy 10,000 Euros (£9,245) worth of cryptocurrency a day and sell up to 15,000 Euros (£13,860) worth which will come in handy when you need to cash out.

So as you can see, Coinbase is not the only option, it is only the most well known but there are other, long established exchanges out there that allow people to purchase cryptocurrencies with cash.

whoa what just happen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Coinbase is not your only option if you want to legitimately buy Bitcoin, Ethereum or Litecoin, at the moment it is the most well known due to their marketing efforts, however that does not mean that other options are not available.

Below are some of the other well known sites that allow you to purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.

Global Exchanges:

CEX - You can buy Bitcoin and Ethereum instantly. Supports all countries worldwide and verification is fast and simple.

You can also buy and sell up to 10 Bitcoins or 200 Ethereum per order and the fees are lower than most of the other exchanges I have tried.

Verified accounts can deposit/withdraw up to $10,000 worth per day, or up to $100,000 per month via both credit card and bank transfer, at higher verification levels all limits are removed.

At one point they had to temporarily stop user registrations due to the rapid influx of new users.

Coinmama - This is a good site to buy Bitcoins and Ethereum instantly with a debit or credit card.

Accounts verified with a passport can buy $10,000 worth, accounts verified with 2 forms of ID can buy $50,000 worth and accounts with Level 3 verification and above have no limits. This site supports all countries worldwide.

European based exchange:

BitPanda - If you live in Europe this is the best option hands down, you can buy and sell Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin and Dash instantly and Gold verification only takes about 10 minutes - this exchange is only available for European customers at the moment but it is a really excellent exchange.

Gold verification allows you to buy 10,000 Euros (£9,245) worth of cryptocurrency a day and sell up to 15,000 Euros (£13,860) worth which will come in handy when you need to cash out.

So as you can see, Coinbase is not the only option, it is only the most well known but there are other, long established exchanges out there that allow people to purchase cryptocurrencies with cash.
Whoa what just happen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*imagines I'm neo flying through the air as I plunge to my death from the top of a skyscraper*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

let it mellow posted:

has anyone actually made buttcoin yet

all goons should get one

and then when people actually invest in it we touch the butt some more

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7qor5q/current_bitcoin_sentiment/

quote:

/r/allCurrent Bitcoin Sentiment. (i.redd.it)

submitted 10 hours ago by pg3cryptoredditor for 3 months

bitcoin park also features a fat nerd and a pedophile

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

I like a market that trades 24 hours. It’s the future. Sleep is for no coiners.

they should ring a bell at all times

it would be as productive as coin mining

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

this can't be real

lmao

TITANS ONLY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

my coins are worrth what they were worth 2 weeks ago this is a disaster :wth:

Lol you tone deaf moron

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jebediah posted:

I have a coworker yelling at me to buy Ripple (XRP) immediately. Why should I/shouldn't I goons? I have extra to blow

Blow your coworker for money

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

today was my most profitable day so far this year

Did you short it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

So basically Tether are hedge funds in terms of redemption restrictions? Cool.

If they were run by Chuck E. Cheese and Chuck E. Cheese was slowly running out of business

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

Seriously? 5 threads and this?

Well?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

nah, i can't on the exchange i use. i made most of it on the bounces from the lows and from scalping volatility/thin order book with really small positions for $10 moves (about 1%). even though my positions were small, they added up fast because of how fast and reliable those scalps were. i played this pretty conservatively but still ended up with a very profitable day

So...you're daytrading bitcoins

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm super confused by this

the kind of person who would make this meme is the kinda person who would make TLJ no SJW cut

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

all women are replaced by bitcoins

but all men are coins too

fuuuuuck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LMAO people are still mad at Mark Karpeles

https://twitter.com/shinsyotta/status/953058508903206915
https://twitter.com/nknarula/status/953305550816792576
https://twitter.com/nissan_sport/status/953169775143858176
https://twitter.com/CerBTC/status/953064238670602247
https://twitter.com/wealthawareness/status/953060026238709760
https://twitter.com/Slayback85/status/953058343144189952

and then it's a dude posting dozens of tweets about trump

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I saw this work for ten years in EVE Online and I'm still somehow surprised people fall for it.

I guess fortunately for most people trying to run recruitment or contract scams would probably actually be illegal with real money.

How the gently caress are you not a buttcoiner when you're a trump piss drinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Someone explain thread title plz