Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think most people understand the carrier argument as it pertains to the persian gulf and the probability of iran overwhelming any nearby aircraft carriers with anti-ship missiles and small boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t see why China would be building carriers tbh. Isn’t much of Cold War carrier doctrine obsolete due to the advancement of long range missile technology?

carriers let you bully the poo poo out of lesser armed nations

see: america

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t have anything to say in response to this or disagree but I am posting to acknowledge that I read it and it was interesting.

The more or less ignored the fact that China has a very large number of missile boats and frigates that makes it very difficult for a fleet to really get anywhere near the Chinese coastline since they would also be backed up by Chinese fighters and AA defenses that would also certainly have longer range and capabilities that US battle groups.

It is also why the US had to pull in 2 battle groups recently just to show the flag in the South China Sea (usually we only have 3-4 groups total in the world ready for deployment.)

My point is that not only a robust "green water" navy, but it is rapidly building up its blue water capabilities.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Spergin Morlock posted:

yes but how many african nations have that technology? carriers these days aren't really useful for projecting power against other powerful nations, but there are dozens of them where a carrier is still a genuine threat

its this, carriers are modern gunboat diplomacy. they are purely an imperial tool.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its this, carriers are modern gunboat diplomacy. they are purely an imperial tool.

Just like Soviet Carriers...

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Just like Soviet Carriers...

the proud soviets would never stoop to imperialism, that's why they only had heavy aircraft cruisers, duh :rolleyes:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What is a "small boat" going to do to a carrier.

How do you think this stuff works.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Throatwarbler posted:

"what is this small ticking box on the road going to do to my MRAP"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

That owns, do they keep up the style inside too?

They didn't go out of their way to do so, but because the lighting is so low and there are no windows it still feels oppressive as hell inside anyway

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Throatwarbler posted:

i don’t think they’d send one

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hows the uss cole doing these days anyway

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

THS posted:

hows the uss cole doing these days anyway

Fine? it’s still in active service. but yeah because al qaeda managed to lightly damage an American destroyer while it was refueling in dock, aircraft carriers are obsolete, and no navy ever messed with Yemen again.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i definitely remember your username, as the guy who jacks off to US military hardware and has tom clancy hallucinations about how it’s literally impossible for a carrier to be overwhelmed by missiles lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

THS posted:

i definitely remember your username, as the guy who jacks off to US military hardware and has tom clancy hallucinations about how it’s literally impossible for a carrier to be overwhelmed by missiles lol

When I posted, I knew.

------------------------

Anyway, Chinese Missile boats are designed to surprisingly enough...overwhelm a ships with volumes of fire. When you combine that with large numbers of frigates (small capital ships also with anti-ship missiles) and destroyers (even larger ones) you start getting increasing volumes of fire. Then you add in land-based systems you get even more capability.

PRC generally has its defensive capability already down, and it has a huge green-water navy. Their project nw they are amassing a huge blue-water navy to go alongside that and that is much more about power projection to openly contest the US.

Also, Iran is doing the same thing, but they really don't need a blue-water navy to make the Persian gulf a death trap. The Russians are somewhere in between with an aging blue-water fleet but a potent submarine force and green water capabilities.

Luckily, the US has pissed off everyone at the same time.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Jul 11, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
welp you got me. I’m the America apologist itt.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Oh, Palmer. He's committed, I have to give him that. I remember when I was still allowed on the site he mods, I inadvertently managed to provoke him so badly by mildly criticizing a neo-con "Chinese Dissident" that his fellows had to ban him temporarily for appearance's sake.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
liquidity flowing into yuan assets as well as markets with close ties to china. yuan appreciates in value. i.e. the world is betting that china will lead the world out of the slump:

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1281435886597611520

oh hey does anyone here like rihanna?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvUnPl5_BA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

The phillipines, angry at forums poster brutalist McDonald's, creates a challenger

https://twitter.com/rat_dyke/status/1281323716664872962?s=20

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Good military strategy talk comrades

THS
Sep 15, 2017

GoutPatrol posted:

hey i used to be a war nerd. sometimes i revert to old habits, i’ve been under a lot of stress lately

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

It is necessary sometimes to put things into focus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hot take: it would probably be problematic for the us navy to project air power against PRC military targets.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

hey i used to be a war nerd. sometimes i revert to old habits, i’ve been under a lot of stress lately
oh... we're not having a war nerd discussion? you know i just finished this first volume in a whole series that i was going to talk about in depth...

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

oh... we're not having a war nerd discussion? you know i just finished this first volume in a whole series that i was going to talk about in depth...

lmao

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I was never really a war nerd myself, but I am a cyber security nerd. Maybe we can bridge the gap. How have China and the US been doing when it comes to digital warfare?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BrokenGameboy posted:

I was never really a war nerd myself, but I am a cyber security nerd. Maybe we can bridge the gap. How have China and the US been doing when it comes to digital warfare?

Pretty good. China does more direct hacks but the US is very good at leaving worms and poo poo all over the place

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

BrokenGameboy posted:

the chinese government likes to outsource a lot of work to local nerds who are usually pretty good (unlike some of their underpaid staff)

meanwhile the us has historically sucked at cybersecurity (and still sucks in a lot of places like the FBI) but theyre good at actually loving with chinese government systems

think there was a case some years ago where the NSA backhacked some chinese intelligence op so badly they were using their own cameras to observe them

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

then again most chinese spying is basically just paying government contractors in crytocurrency to copy stuff and email it so they dont gotta try too hard

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

then again most chinese spying is basically just paying government contractors in crytocurrency to copy stuff and email it so they dont gotta try too hard

Hey man, if it works...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bro Dad posted:

it's like how most hacking is just calling up the local schlub and asking him for the password since you got locked out

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znp9CMHcssk

animist
Aug 28, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's like how most hacking is just calling up the local schlub and asking him for the password since you got locked out

county password inspector

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1280703561911992320

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
check this out to die instantly

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Haha I misread Atheltic as Atheistic and got super confused.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

liquidity flowing into yuan assets as well as markets with close ties to china. yuan appreciates in value. i.e. the world is betting that china will lead the world out of the slump:

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1281435886597611520

oh hey does anyone here like rihanna?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvUnPl5_BA

Interesting.

The fundamental change would be the yuan being allowed to appreciate beyond it's managed floating range. If we see it fall pass it's traditional floor of $1 = ¥7 without intervention like in 2015 that would a real shift.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

And of course the libertarian wife is pestering Naomi Wu.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/melissakchan/status/1282219957871230976?p=v

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1282167047204397059/photo/1

i too associate the hong kong protests with gay travelogue movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

lol the chinese students I know all got care packages of masks mailed from the embassy a while back when no one could get any masks in this dumb country. I'm surprised Chinese students didn't have to register their US address already by default.