Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

don’t doxx guyovich pls tia

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Known Lecher posted:

Zuck out of the blue asking Xi to pick a Chinese name for his daughter has got to be like "Top 5 Cringiest Moments in Capitalism"

And then Xi refused :laffo:

Yea he left the Zuck with no face. It ruled.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Great Autismo! posted:

I am in the middle of a meltdown here, so many people are incredibly uncomfortable and insecure about their experiences, whether it is regarding to race, knowledge, or journalistic integrity

I am just here for the almost lol

What happened to your AV of the lady making a weird face?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but the Chinese internet blocks certain keywords as well as IP addresses, so on pages that embedded content from blocked IPs they could stop loading, or detection of words in posts could break the connection. And yes that does include English words, like when they blocked "John Oliver"

Last year they temporarily blocked the letter N. Lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Modest Mao posted:

I guess that's an aspect of it but I dont think anyone forced Chinese to like Iron Man 2 at gunpoint, the japanese to love classical music, latin americans to paint social realist murals or american film students to love Tarkovsky... or basically the entire world to embrace drinking coffee. the metropoles usually do export good culture, I'm hard pressed to think of something that mainland China has given to world culture in the last 100 years

Jackie Chan

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Modest Mao posted:

That's not mainland

There's basically a couple Zhang Yimou films, otherwise nearly all the films that reached the western world were censored pretty hard inside China. That said China has made some really good movies

Hero comes to mind

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Modest Mao posted:

Yeah I was thinking of that book too. But going to pre modern history or sparse, singular examples is sorta where we're at. Yeah we all are reading the roman alphabet now but that doesn't mean Italy is a huge cultural exporter (though maybe 40 years ago it was). E cigs, a few films, a book and chinese medicine in the developing world isn't a nothing either.

Just thinking Taiwan and Hong Kong have made big impacts in several realms with much less political power and population. writing movies music food... though they are on decline in that realm now too. It's not a competition it's just interesting.

Taiwan has the best guava juice, hands down.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Omg how dare they help people recover from a disaster when Trump would prefer to spend $0 doing so. Madness!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

sincx posted:

What's the over/under on the MTR derailment being sabotage?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/world/asia/hong-kong-train-derail.html

Yes

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
wow, their full rights are protected even when they're put in concentration camps? sounds nice!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

not every prison is like US prison what do you know

lol i'm not pretending rights are protected in US prisons though

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
Lol 90% of earth's population lives north of the equator

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

That's not what the term global north means moron

lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

I mean I know the answer to why they keep trying to change the subject is there were just 90+ posts of literally genocide apologia and the only way they can handle that "hey look over there" but seriously let me remind the world that Peven Stan, Typo, and Horseshoe Theory looked at Holocaust trains to concentration camps and said "heh yeah but what about ICE."

Here: ICE is bad. Abolish ICE. There we're done with that.

Now back here in the China thread, a religious minority is being shackled and sent off to camps by the millions. That is bad.

i've heard that their rights are respected tho

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Just because your employer decrees it to be true doesn't mean that it is true. This isn't the cultural revolution- repeating mantras and aggressively policing the groupthink in the thread just makes western liberals look desperate. Despite all the sturm and drang, why hasn't trump commented on the alleged millions in camps? Surely he could use that as a wedge in trade negotiations?

he doesn't want to draw attention to his own growing concentration camp system op

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

things can be bad in two places at once!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

tino posted:

I don't know if you are being serious (in this particular thread), but there is no gas chamber at the end of the xinjiang camps. Instead of compare them to nazi camps, you should read up on anti rightists reedcution camps. Actually CCP have done reedcution camps many times throughout its history. I can even point out camps before 49 but they were less documented and more deadly.

so as long as they're imprisoning millions of people for the purpose of erasing their language and culture rather than killing them off like the nazis did that makes it ok?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Conflating all Jewish people with Israelis is a common antisemitic trope dude.

That's probably why he responded with sarcasm and irritation when peven stan did exactly that. Maybe.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Capslock may literally be a CCP press release given human form but bloodnose is the one actually doing the conflating.

Peven Stan knew exactly what he was doing when he replied that way to bloodnose's post which mentioned that he is Jewish.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Pretending its OK to slander all Jews as Israelis is OK when my side does it"

You seem confused.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

they're singing without the communist party there would be no new china

That thing looks like the jawa mobile

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eox posted:

so you know enough to realize that "all asians look the same" jokes are the worst, but your workaround is legitimately believing it?

Fox News with Chinese characteristics

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
eh nm

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
Lol. Are all cops bad if some cops are communists? :thunk:

I'm so confuse

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Witnesses reported hearing a man yelling "DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS" through the door.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Am I going crazy or are those toilet seat cushions?

They're clearly pineapple rings

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

get that OUT of my face posted:

Space Jam 2 coming soon

why, is michael jordan heavily in debt to loan sharks again?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

lmao @ the orc statue

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

The PRC considers Taiwan to be a part of the PRC.

Hong Kong is also a part of the PRC.

In order for the murder suspect to be extradited from Hong Kong to Taiwan, HK wanted to pass a law that would allow people from one province of China (HK) to be extradited to another province of China (Taiwan).

The collective freakout that triggered the protests was the assumption that such a law could be used to extradite people from HK, to, say, Beijing, and further, that this would be used to prosecute political dissidents.

i wonder why they would worry about such a thing even though the stated reason for the law was to extradite someone to Taiwan. :thunk:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
Lol remember when amazon decided to delete copies of 1984 from a bunch of kindles remotely, without permission from the users?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

sincx posted:

What's the likelihood of anything Viacom-related (e.g. Paramount Pictures movies) being banned in China?

i'm going to laugh when legendary pictures only releases dune in china and refuses to let it screen in the US

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

mila kunis posted:

what ICE is doing is evil and callous but it's not genocide. let's not water down terms

Not yet anyways

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

sincx posted:

What the hell is this?

Terminal autist didn't "remember" you're Jewish. You stated it yourself this very page, while attempting to argue that the fact you belong to a certain ethnic group should give your opinion more weight, your opinion on a subject that has nothing to do with your ethnic group.

Your reply to Pevan Stan from last month (that you quoted above in response to Terminal autist) is completely inapplicable to what Terminal autist said, and you're trying to make Terminal autist look anti-Semitic when he did nothing of the sort.

And I vehemently disagree with the proposition that one's ethnicity gives them more authority on unrelated matters.

The reason being that ethnic groups are not inherently good or bad, since we all seen (and as Terminal autist pointed out) that an oppressed ethnic group can become the oppressors a mere few decades later.

I think bloodnose posted that today to show that he doesnt support genocide in israel, actually. In response to a person who made a flippant Israel comment after he posted today that he is jewish.

Correct me if I'm wrong bloodnose

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

Three whole pages of genocide apologia the moment an apparently less insane tankie isn't around handing probations, holy poo poo

if you're referring to r guyovich lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

Free R. Guyovich

I thought you didnt like genocide denial

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

Apparently he was all that stood between sort-of-ironic shitposting about concentration camps and full-on anarchy

You know why he isn't here anymore right?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

The SCS stuff is largely to give them control over that particular region and the mineral wealth that lies under it. They've been building small bases to help force project over that region and also maybe speed up projection into the Indian Ocean (soon to be known as the Southern China Ocean)

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/plan-doctrine-offshore.htm

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yea, lol.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

lol i dunno if you've noticed this nancy but donald trump is the president. the illusion of moral authority has been shredded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

correct

this is why western electoral politics is a failure, even the politician "bernie sanders" whom white western leftists worship the feet of is a neocon ghoul who is spreading neocon propaganda aimed at supporting neocon agenda. The US is a right-wing corporate dictatorship with two right wings, if you vote in an US election instead of supporting China's belt and road project you are a racist rightist simple as that.