Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
How many goons are playing each side? I'm kind of torn between my Mercenary and Guardian (similarly situated) and I'm not sure which to focus on more. Kind of burned out on WoW and the new xpac changes don't seem particularly compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

If it makes you feel better, he was neutered with 4.0 and is one of the worst companions now

Which is an excellent decision given how much dumb bullshit they make you do to get him

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

How many goons are playing each side? I'm kind of torn between my Mercenary and Guardian (similarly situated) and I'm not sure which to focus on more. Kind of burned out on WoW and the new xpac changes don't seem particularly compelling.

We had three on pub side last night

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How the hell does this game’s launcher still use 100% of resources when it first starts patching?

And if it’s using 100% why does it still take so long?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kimsemus posted:

There's anywhere from 1-4 people playing on both sides usually. I always recommend getting in Discord if you want to talk to people, since the guild isn't very active.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Level sync on planets sure does suck when you want to do something retarded like go back and knock out some kill achievements.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Level sync on planets sure does suck when you want to do something retarded like go back and knock out some kill achievements.

Yeah, bit even with level sync you're still pretty overpowered. Just means two rounds of sweeping blasters instead of one. Just can't kill world bosses alone anymore.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Reinstalled the game last night, got to keep all the character names I'd actually care about and weren't just the ones where I mashed random name button until something finally stuck

Looking forward to new GSF content

edit: ugh that's right, UI/Keybind saved presets were stored locally on my old PC. oh hell

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 13, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Berke Negri posted:

Reinstalled the game last night, got to keep all the character names I'd actually care about and weren't just the ones where I mashed random name button until something finally stuck

Looking forward to new GSF content

edit: ugh that's right, UI/Keybind saved presets were stored locally on my old PC. oh hell

I think the UI might have changed in some way since I last checked in, because all my characters' UIs had been reset to something that looks defaultish. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I think the UI might have changed in some way since I last checked in, because all my characters' UIs had been reset to something that looks defaultish. :(

Your settings changed because you moved servers. If you look in your appdata settings folder you'll see files called he1084YourCharacterName (assuming you are on Jedi Covenant). Change the he1084 to he3000 and bingo, fixed. You can do them all from a command prompt by typing Ren he1084*.* He3000*.*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Your settings changed because you moved servers. If you look in your appdata settings folder you'll see files called he1084YourCharacterName (assuming you are on Jedi Covenant). Change the he1084 to he3000 and bingo, fixed. You can do them all from a command prompt by typing Ren he1084*.* He3000*.*

:nice: Thanks for the tip. :tipshat:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My characters lost their UI's but kept all their keybinds. Restoring the UI is as simple as loading my saved one, but that does require having one saved. Even if you have to start over on a new PC, you only have to do your UI and keybinds once, since they can be exported/imported.

Unless you're some kind of lunatic who uses a different keybind / UI setup on each character...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

No, no of course not.

That'd be insane, right?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yep, heroic space missions are just as bad as I remember them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Yep, heroic space missions are just as bad as I remember them.

Dear God why would you subject yourself to them.

One of the few good things about Galactic Command is that I've gotten my reputation to Hero without touching a space mission.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
What's a Galactic Command?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

What's a Galactic Command?

The loot box gearing system that drove away anyone that didn't quit in 4.0. At the launch of 5.0 you got your endgame gear completely from RNG loot boxes, which could contain gear with no set bonus, gear with a set bonus, companion gifts, Jawa scrap, and random reputation items. Raiding just gave you Command XP and didn't drop gear, it was 100% RNG.

Much better now, they fixed it so raids drop gear again and Galactic Command is a nice secondary thing that gives you extra stuff as you're raiding with a chance at set gear. They even made it so you can buy the first tier of set bonus gear with Galactic Command tokens, which you get every time you gain a GC level.

Only people still screwed are PVP only players since there isn't PVP gear anymore, but even then you're bolstered to 242 rating so if you play a lot of PvP you get ANOTHER currency, not Warzone commendations, those were too complex so they introduced unassembled components which you can use in combination with command tokens to get set gear. So simple!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Or just go read this: http://dulfy.net/2016/11/29/swtor-galactic-command-guide/

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

The loot box gearing system that drove away anyone that didn't quit in 4.0. At the launch of 5.0 you got your endgame gear completely from RNG loot boxes, which could contain gear with no set bonus, gear with a set bonus, companion gifts, Jawa scrap, and random reputation items. Raiding just gave you Command XP and didn't drop gear, it was 100% RNG.

So you're saying that even with as much as you play, these boxes weren't enough to max out your reputation?

I'll stick with the heroic space missions. It seems less frustrating.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is it just me, or do companions now gain reputation for doing crafting missions? I apparently had people sent out the last time I logged on, and when they came back, they all had rep gains as mission results.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I miss pvp tokens.

By the time Id get a character 60 or whatever Id have enough from just doing under-max level PVP matches to get a full set of decent for pve, great for pvp gear so I could focus on what's really important in this game.

Huttball.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Is it just me, or do companions now gain reputation for doing crafting missions? I apparently had people sent out the last time I logged on, and when they came back, they all had rep gains as mission results.

Yep, they added that a while ago. Any gathering or mission activity gives you influence. It's not a ton, bit it's nice

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

At what point will Senya stop bitching about being sent to make me stuff?

Grumpy head that one

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there an achievement that shows I've done enough group finder so I can make sure I get the darth companion lady?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

Is there an achievement that shows I've done enough group finder so I can make sure I get the darth companion lady?

Achievements -> Events -> General -> Game Updates, either the one in the middle (PvP) or right side (PvE)

You have to be eligible for the daily reward, so you can only queue for each type of Flashpoint/Uprising/Operation once per day on the same character - IE, you can't run 3 Veterans on the same day and get it. You can run 3 Veterans on 3 characters though.

Apparently there's a bug where if you have an active [STORY] flashpoint you're not getting credit for the group finder ones.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

Grumpy head that one

Given her family issues I think she's allowed to be a tad grumpy every now and then.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Gazillion lost the license for their Marvel game and it's being shut down. I wonder how things are over in Bioware with this game?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
EA has an exclusive on the Star Wars license for video games, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't think they would ever update GSF, when did this happen? *checks patch notes while getting EMP bombed to death*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Promethium posted:

I didn't think they would ever update GSF, when did this happen? *checks patch notes while getting EMP bombed to death*

They really are trying to push people to it. They recently added an "Introduction to Conquest" mission which grants you Fleet Requisition just for hitting your conquest one week, and if you've already done it once on a character you instantly complete it.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Grumpy head that one

This is why I killed her when I had the chance. PROTIP: If the game gives you the option to kill a companion, do it. You won't regret it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

neurotic posted:

This is why I killed her when I had the chance. PROTIP: If the game gives you the option to kill a companion, do it. You won't regret it.

Killing companions should be based on the quality of the class story they're from.

That means you die if you don't have a class story. :rip:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I didn't know you could kill her. Maybe use spoiler tags?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

neurotic posted:

I was so happy to finally kill off Koth. Would have done it far sooner if possible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ritorix posted:

I was so happy to finally kill off Koth. Would have done it far sooner if possible.

I think I might have killed Xalek and Skadge, unless there was an option to send them to jail. Although the big white furry angry dude doesn't have a survival path unless you're a SW.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I would have liked to keep Senya alive, but I don't think you can do that when you want to kill Arcann. And why wouldn't you want to kill that little poo poo?

Killing Koth was extremely satisfying. I actually liked him at the start of KotfE, but, well :shrug:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Back before this came out I very nearly bought and subbed to it, but then I probably resubbed to WoW instead. Anyway I'm looking for a Star Wars fix so I figured I might as well finally try it out. I don't mind throwing down some cash on it so what's the best deal for a beginner? One of those packs from Origin? Also while I don't mind downloading a standalone client can I download and launch it through Origin?

Final and most pressing concern: if I start a Jedi Knight (guardian?) how quickly can I be using a purple lightsaber? Yellow is acceptable as well.

Thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Level 10.

You'll probably be around that level by the time you actually get your lightsaber.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Humerus posted:

Back before this came out I very nearly bought and subbed to it, but then I probably resubbed to WoW instead. Anyway I'm looking for a Star Wars fix so I figured I might as well finally try it out. I don't mind throwing down some cash on it so what's the best deal for a beginner? One of those packs from Origin? Also while I don't mind downloading a standalone client can I download and launch it through Origin?

Final and most pressing concern: if I start a Jedi Knight (guardian?) how quickly can I be using a purple lightsaber? Yellow is acceptable as well.

Thanks!

If you're down for 3 months of sub, This is always the best deal.

Same cost as a 3 month subscription but includes extra cartel coins and a few other goodies.

2 month best deal is the Origin bundle.

General rule is always don't sub directly from SWTOR.com, there's always better deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Sounds like a lot of content coming next month.

First I'm hearing about a new WZ. Can't wait for that skip-to-lvl-70-without-advancing-the-story token.