Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I've been playing a ton of this to write Animal Crossing content for TouchArcade, and I think the most important thing to do when starting is hoarding your Leaf Tickets. The first session of the game is sort of a long drawn out tutorial where seemingly everything you do awards anywhere between 10-30 Leaf Tickets. Initially it seemed like the most intelligent thing to do with Leaf Tickets was buy out all three crafting slots with Cyrus, but it's starting to feel like the real limitation of the game is inventory space. You start out being able to hold 100 items, and you can spend 20 tickets to add 5 more slots to your inventory.

I'm curious what strategy you guys have taken to using your Leaf Tickets in the most optimal way?

Anyway, I wrote up a pretty lengthy first impressions piece on the game here- http://toucharcade.com/2017/10/25/animal-crossing-pocket-camp-first-impressions-review/

Here's what the first session looks like, which lasts just under two hours before you start running out of poo poo to do-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmKn3TvGZ4

Pretty cool game overall, tons of potential, but I think how much you like it depends on what you enjoyed most out of Animal Crossing. I was into the turnip market and relationships with my neighbors. The former seems totally absent, and the latter is pretty basic compared to "real" Animal Crossing games as characters just float in and out at random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Also it's pretty trivial to play this right now if you download the Australian soft launch version, the only region locking is making sure your Nintendo Account (which you can fiddle with at http://my.nintendo.com ) has your country listed as Australia. I'm not sure if this affects other things linked to your Nintendo account, but when I change this setting around my Switch makes me log back in to my account. I'm just making sure I change it based on the games I want to play (i.e. switching it to AU for Animal Crossing then back to US for Switch) but I have no idea if this is necessary or not.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Klungar posted:

If I go ahead and create an Australian iTunes account to download the game, will I lose all progress when the US version comes out, or will I be able to link my save to my Nintendo account and transfer progress that way?

No one knows for sure bit it seems like a very safe assumption that progress will transfer with your Nintendo account.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

There are details on this in the “Common Questions” section in Settings.

Probably not happening.

A reset isn't happening or a progress transfer isn't happening?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I really think we're reading a bit too much into the region locking stuff. If Nintendo wanted to really region lock the game they'd only allow Australian IP's to connect which is what Gameloft does when they soft launch stuff. Instead, it seems like they're making a real basic check to see which country you have listed in your My Nintendo profile. I've been experimenting switching mine around and all switching my country seems to do is sign me out of the Nintendo eShop on my Switch. (Which is just as simple as re-entering my password.)

When I've got Australia selected on My Nintendo, Pocket Camp will let me play. When I have any other country selected, it gives me a weird generic connection error on load. I don't think there's much reason to assume this is going to work any different from any other soft launched game that uses Game Center (instead of My Nintendo). In that case, what happens is your progress is tied to your Game Center account, and when then game is released you just delete the soft launched version and download it again in the US so you can buy IAP with your US account and everything transfers over because it's linked to Game Center, not your iTunes account or anything else.

I can't really come up with a reason why this would be any different, as all Nintendo would be doing is inviting a massive support headache if suddenly they were deleting progress or locking accounts or whatever. If you're hardcore enough to download the game now and you want to transfer progress so you can start buying poo poo with dollars when it hits the US, that's the exact kind of behavior any free to play dev will encourage.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Shwqa posted:

Maybe just play seabeard for 2 months? it is a solid animal crossing esque knockoff. I played it for like 5 months before running out of content. although the first week of seabeard is by far the weakest. Ignore the storyline once it tell you to upgrade the manor for 1000 gold and instead go get the warrior. Once you have the warrior the game is amazing. It is way better than people gave it credit because the intro sequence was such poo poo.

What's interesting about Seabeard is its development spanned that awkward period where they started development when people still would buy premium games and released it at a time where a large budget non-F2P game was financial suicide. I would've love to see the game as initially imagined.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So now that you guys have been playing for a while, is there a particular strategy that makes the most sense when it comes to utilizing leaf tickets? I blew all the ones I got from the tutorial on three crafting slots, which I'm not sure was smart or not.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’ve been an animal crossing fan since day one but refuse to buy into the world of IAP fun bux. I’d happily pay like $29-$39 for an actual game on the complexity of a random GBA game.

Will I hate this or does it have the potential to be actual Animal Crossing just portable?

The goal of these smart phone games is to get people to be like "Hey this Animal Crossing thing is pretty fun but this is pretty basic, maybe I should check out New Leaf instead."

Just buy New Leaf instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Game goes global on the 22nd. STRAP IN!