Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bryan: "So, like if you use a ladder, in a chairs match, is that a disqualif-"
Vinny: "Yes"
Bryan: "WHAT?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gaz-L posted:

Bryan: "So, like if you use a ladder, in a chairs match, is that a disqualif-"
Vinny: "Yes"
Bryan: "WHAT?!?"
This is how this type of match worked in places like Mid-South. A dog collar match could have DQs if you used anything other than the chain, and removing the collar was a DQ. To remove the collar like Buzz Sawyer did once, it had to be a NO DQ dog collar match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, I know, I just laughed because I'm with Vinny and it was hilarious that Bryan had never considered that the answer to his rhetorical question was "Yes".

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I know, I just laughed because I'm with Vinny and it was hilarious that Bryan had never considered that the answer to his rhetorical question was "Yes".

Batista/Undertaker got restarted because Batista used a low blow in a chairs match. There is precedent.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
If it wasn't for precedent, it makes sense to have a match type where something out of the ordinary is allowed, but the match can still end by DQ. Like in PRIDE, you could soccer kick a guy but you'd still get DQ'd for the same things that you'd get DQ'd for in UFC.

Of course, the precedent is that gimmick match = no DQ. And a chairs match just isn't cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was a Hell in a Cell match years ago where HHH(?) was saved from a pinfall by.... a ropebreak. :cripes:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

There was a Hell in a Cell match years ago where HHH(?) was saved from a pinfall by.... a ropebreak. :cripes:

It's not falls count anywhere!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

It's not falls count anywhere!

Didn't Taker/Shane end with the pinfall on the stairs? I know it was one of the forgettable cell matches.

Also, I would argue that the robe break is due to the pin no longer being "legal" with the same logic being why you get DQed for not breaking a submission. So the pin should be counted in a no DQ scenario.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Release on Christmas day. They are always recorded earlier (except maybe the first one, recorded very close or on Christmas Eve I think.) The 2006 Brent-is-institutionalized drama was good.
This can't be right unless they changed it, because I always listened on Christmas Eve when my ex-wife went to bed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Didn't Taker/Shane end with the pinfall on the stairs? I know it was one of the forgettable cell matches.

Also, I would argue that the robe break is due to the pin no longer being "legal" with the same logic being why you get DQed for not breaking a submission. So the pin should be counted in a no DQ scenario.

I remembered it recently because there was some kind of cage match and they grabbed the ropes and the commentators shouted,"Grabbing the ropes won't help you in a cage match!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LividLiquid posted:

This can't be right unless they changed it, because I always listened on Christmas Eve when my ex-wife went to bed.

There are years where they put it out a little earlier and other years where they put it out after Christmas all together.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqKfLoxpCA

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is the audio/video out of sync on the videos you pay for

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gotta say the Pacific Rim podcast on Wrestling Observer is really growing on me, and Fumi Saito just refusing to let Jim Valley move on after he (Jim) didn't understand Saito's point about Tanahashi critiquing Omega was some beautiful Meltzer-style stuff.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dave: That's just basic pro wrestling. It doesn't bother me.

Bryan: It bothers me a lot

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Was relistening to old Christmas shows and Bryan gets so drunk in 2008 he says "what it is this, the Dave show" after someone says ya know a few times.

That and his theories on peeing.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MassRafTer posted:

That and his theories on peeing.

One year I remember instead of saying “I have to pee really bad” he said “my penis is full” and for some reason that has stuck with me throughout the years.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Rob is the nicest sweetest man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

One year I remember instead of saying “I have to pee really bad” he said “my penis is full” and for some reason that has stuck with me throughout the years.

Been debating turning that into a pee is stored in balls meme.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Lost it when Bryan found out about the No Holds Barred match on retro Nitro

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/joegagne/status/1075477537197883392

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Jimmy Jacobs interview on WOL was kinda fascinating just to hear how diplomatic Jimmy was being about not criticizing WWE, and how diplomatic Bryan was being in not outright saying,"WWE's system is bad and should feel bad!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Jerusalem posted:

I remembered it recently because there was some kind of cage match and they grabbed the ropes and the commentators shouted,"Grabbing the ropes won't help you in a cage match!"

This makes complete sense and I will explain it using a recent example: Jericho vs. Omega from Wrestle Kingdom 12.

When you grab the ropes, you are no longer considered in the ring. So you cannot be pinned and you cannot be submitted, because you have to be in the ring for either of those things to count. For a pinfall, this breaks the pinfall. For a submission, the ref will start a count. If you do not break the count within 5 seconds, you are disqualified.

Jericho vs. Omega was a No DQ match. Early in the match when Jericho got Omega in the Walls, Omega got the ropes. But because it was no DQ, Jericho had no reason to fear losing from not letting go, so he held onto the submission. Very late in the match, Jericho got Omega in the Walls again, Omega got the ropes and Jericho let go this time. He didn't hold on because yes, technically, he could hold on as long as he wanted, but Omega wasn't in the ring anymore so he couldn't win even if he held on and Omega submitted. And this was after they had beaten the poo poo out of each other for half an hour, so Jericho was too exhausted to drag him back to the center of the ring, so he just let go.

So even in a No DQ match, rope breaks will stop a pinfall or submission from ending a match, but they won't force a submission to be released. You can hold on as long as you want, it just won't make you win even if they submit, as long as they're still in the ropes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Triple H pinned jericho on top of the cell, confirming that 'inside the ring' extends infinitely upward, which is kind of cool, much like the goal line in the nfl football league

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

VJeff posted:

This makes complete sense and I will explain it using a recent example: Jericho vs. Omega from Wrestle Kingdom 12.

When you grab the ropes, you are no longer considered in the ring. So you cannot be pinned and you cannot be submitted, because you have to be in the ring for either of those things to count. For a pinfall, this breaks the pinfall. For a submission, the ref will start a count. If you do not break the count within 5 seconds, you are disqualified.

Jericho vs. Omega was a No DQ match. Early in the match when Jericho got Omega in the Walls, Omega got the ropes. But because it was no DQ, Jericho had no reason to fear losing from not letting go, so he held onto the submission. Very late in the match, Jericho got Omega in the Walls again, Omega got the ropes and Jericho let go this time. He didn't hold on because yes, technically, he could hold on as long as he wanted, but Omega wasn't in the ring anymore so he couldn't win even if he held on and Omega submitted. And this was after they had beaten the poo poo out of each other for half an hour, so Jericho was too exhausted to drag him back to the center of the ring, so he just let go.

So even in a No DQ match, rope breaks will stop a pinfall or submission from ending a match, but they won't force a submission to be released. You can hold on as long as you want, it just won't make you win even if they submit, as long as they're still in the ropes.

The concept of "you can not concede a match outside of the ring" is dumb as hell. So what happens if you are stuck in an inescapable hold outside? You're just stuck there forever until you die???

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the rules of wrestling aren't meant to be used outside of the ring. when you watch lou thesz wrestle buddy rogers or something you'll see rogers fall out of the ring and then thesz wait patiently until buddy gets back in because that's what a boxer or shoot catch wrestler would do. you arent supposed to do things like climb the ropes or brawl outside because that completely exposes the match as being fraudulent

but these are the rules we have, and we must live with them

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

The concept of "you can not concede a match outside of the ring" is dumb as hell. So what happens if you are stuck in an inescapable hold outside? You're just stuck there forever until you die???

The concept of no rules matches in general is dumb as hell from an actual combat sports standpoint.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

where is the issue dave

dave where are you hiding it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

remusclaw posted:

The concept of no rules matches in general is dumb as hell from an actual combat sports standpoint.

Well early No Holds Barred MMA was nearly no rules so it's not that much of a stretch.

Stuff like pins outside the ring not counting because you can say that they can only happen within the "wrestling surface" but telling someone "no you may not forfeit the match if you're getting murdered on the floor" is goofy as heck.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

Well early No Holds Barred MMA was nearly no rules so it's not that much of a stretch.

Stuff like pins outside the ring not counting because you can say that they can only happen within the "wrestling surface" but telling someone "no you may not forfeit the match if you're getting murdered on the floor" is goofy as heck.

And guess what UFC was quick to implement? No fence grabbing!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lone Goat posted:

It would be just about the worst finish in the world but couldn't a referee stoppage happen in this scenario?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Incessant Excess posted:

It would be just about the worst finish in the world but couldn't a referee stoppage happen in this scenario?

Gargano/Ciampa II was kinda heading in that direction before it settled on the actual worst finish in the world instead.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

remusclaw posted:

:emptyquote:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Smoking Crow posted:

where is the issue dave

dave where are you hiding it

its up, and its the HOF issue

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's loving bullshit

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Smoking Crow posted:

It's loving bullshit

this is not

quote:

Finkel came back in 2002 as a heel with the idea of creating a conflict with Garcia as ring announcer. The idea was to try and build a rating with an evening gown vs. tuxedo clothes stripping match between the two of them for the Raw ring announcing position. Finkel was played up in a chauvinist role, as the old out-of-touch male who thought no woman could do the job he could do. As is often the case, the heel was right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

It's loving bullshit

Nagata is in, therefore it is a great class :colbert:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Jerusalem posted:

LA Park is in, therefore it is a great class :colbert:

:colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Really into Dave cutting heel promos on US cities and I hope this trend continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

The referee can stop the fight but you, the person having their leg broken, can't stop the fight. :thunk: