Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
My 2014 Toshiba is still going strong but I'm starting to think about upgrading - are there any strong contenders around the $350 price point? Unfortunately the 2015 CB2 wasn't released in my country AFAIK as that would be my ideal buy. What really sold me on the CB2 in the first place is the FHD IPS screen, is this a more common option now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Atomizer posted:

IPS displays are more common but the ones Toshiba used were better than most. When you say that the 2015 Toshiba CB2 wasn't released in your country, what country would that be? And related, your budget is US$350, or...?

In general the best overall CBs nowadays are the Samsung Plus/Pro and the Asus C302. I can find them closer to your budget here in the US used/refurb'd, but where you are will determine whether or not that's a viable option for you.
Yep that's my budget in USD - I'm in the UK, the closest I've found are references to an upcoming 2016 release for it and then.. nothing.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Tunga posted:

I think my dad has a 2015 CB2, got it from John Lewis around March 2015. But maybe I'm wrong and it's the 2014 model.

Yeah that's when/where I got my 2014 heh. Thanks for the advice Atomizer :)

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Atomizer posted:

The Acer CB 14 is $220 at Walmart. It's the gold-colored version (meh) but it's otherwise the "good" one with the FHD display, N3160, and 4 GB of RAM. It's a solid entry-level laptop that feels like it costs way more than it actually does.

Worth picking one up for £230/$290ish? Paid the same for my Toshiba 4 years ago, looking to upgrade but can't quite afford a C302 yet - should I hold out?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Am I going crazy or have they switched the 'Save' and 'Cancel' buttons in the Save As prompt?