Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm looking to get two of my kids Chromebooks for Xmas. They are about to go into high school, so they'll need something to do school work on, but I'm sure they'd like to play games also. I'm looking for the cheapest, yet still decent, Chromebooks that runs Android apps. Refurbished if perfectly fine, and one that converts interested a tablet would be a plus. What are my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Atomizer posted:

Note this list from the OP and the recommendations in the 2nd post. I could probably highlight the ones that have Android app support in the stable channel....

Anyways, the Acer R11 at up to $300 or the Asus C101 at $300 would work, although the latter is small with a cramped keyboard so it would make typing more difficult unless they hooked up an external keyboard. The Lenovo Yoga 11e (3rd or 4th generation) would also work; it's a bit chunkier but more durable than the R11, and you can probably find examples in the $300-400 range if you don't look for brand-new current-gen ones. These are all 10-11" models, however, which means the display is a bit small to work on for long periods of time.

The Samsung CB Plus is totally worth it if you can find the refurbs on woot.com at $350, but they've only been sold twice and sold out within a few days. I'll post a link here the next time I see some good deals.

Your best bet is the Acer R13, which has nice hardware, an easy-to-read 13" FHD display, a good ARM CPU, Android App support, and you can currently find the 64 GB version refurbished directly from Acer's eBay store for around $300 (and they have 3 available at the moment!) I did see the 32 GB version for $250 a month or two back but they're not currently available for that price. Still, 64 GB of storage gives them more space for Android apps. Get this one, it's the best currently-available option for the price and it looks & feels more expensive than it is.
Thanks for the info. I found some ASUS C100PA-DB01 Chromebook Flip 10.1" for $189 refurbished. Is this a decent Chromebook and does it run Android apps? I have the Samsung Chromebook plus and I like it, but I'm not getting careless children a $450 anything haha

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to keep it at $200 per device (I need two), but maybe we can stretch it a little, or maybe some deals will pop up before Xmas that will make it a sweeter deal.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 31, 2017

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I can't speak for the Samsung pro, but I have the Samsung plus and I am completely happy with the build quality. I don't know about the software side of things, but I'm very curious about the build quality difference between the Samsung plus and the Pixel book. It feels very sturdy and has an aluminum chassis. Is the difference all software?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So apparently the Android app for Google Play movies is not working on my Pixelbook. It will start, but it won't play movies, giving me an error as previously described. In addition, other Android environment apps are working extremely slowly, specifically Citrix Receiver. This is odd because they previously worked perfectly when I bought the thing 3-4 weeks ago. My best guess is that the latest patch addressed the Intel meltdown issues, but is having compatibility issues with the port of the Android environment. Google support was typically not helpful and kept bouncing me back and forth between Pixelbook support and App support.

Either way I downloaded the Chrome app for Citrix and Google Movies and it works perfectly. I would even say I prefer to the Chrome OS version because it runs natively and call scroll with the arrow keys (a key annoyance of running Android apps on a chromebook). The Chrome OS version also only shows the content you have bought, which is nice. The Android version would make me skim through every season of a TV show to find the episodes I previously purchases. For a show like Top Gear with 22 seasons, this became a headache when I wanted to find something.

It is kind of annoying that Google's own apps are not working on its own laptop, but I think I am used to it after using their hardware and software for so long. I have turned off the Google play / Android environment in the meantime to keep everything simple as I don't really use other Android apps.

Strangely enough, I just tried the Google play movies app on my Samsung Chromebook plus and it works perfectly fine. That's bullshit to spend 3 times the price with worse functionality. Hopefully they get it fixed for you.

Edit: Google was having issues with their services earlier today, so that may explain the issue.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 1, 2018

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
When Chromebit got brought up, I couldn't help but think about why someone wouldn't just get a Chromebox, unless space was an issue. Are Chromeboxes a viable alternative to this situation? They are so inexpensive, and some have an expandable memory. I was thinking of getting one for every device in my house with an HDMI port. Am I missing something when it comes to Chromeboxes?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
So the charger for my Samsung Chromebook plus up and died. I contacted Google, since I bought it from the Google store, but they said I would have to go through Samsung. When I talked to Samsung, they said I would have to send in my Chromebook and charger to them for inspection. After the inspection, wick could take up to 15 business days, they would then send back my Chromebook with a new charger. This sounds really sketchy to me. Has anyone else encountered this? Would I be better off just buying an Anker charger and cable for my Chromebook?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Statutory Ape posted:

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2VZ2T/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on my xps13 and really like it :shrug:

People that have bought it from amazon comment that it works for the Chromebook Pro at least, so I'm sure you're in business too.

I went ahead and ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y427WT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sI5EBb54J6X42

I'm hesitant to send Samsung my Chromebook for inspection just to get a replacement charger. I'm worried they are going to "discover" something that needs to be fixed that I'll have to pay for, or else they won't send my computer back, similar to what LG was doing to some people sending their LG G4s in for warranty repair. It's probably just Samsung making it as difficult as possible so I buy a new charger myself instead of holding them accountable for a faulty product.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Atomizer posted:

That's obnoxious, but I'd try to pester customer support and see if you can just send in the charger. You shouldn't need to send in the CB as well (especially if you can troubleshoot it with a new charger, and the old charger with another device like a phone or whatever you have handy so you can narrow down the problem.)

I might try again tomorrow. The charger no longer lights up, and doesn't register on any device. It's dead. Not of the chargers I have in the house will charge my Chromebook full speed. It always says slow charging, even with my USB C to USB C charger that came with my pixel XL. That seems like enough to send out another charger to me.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
My dad's computer died and he's asking for my advice for a new one. I have only had Chromebooks, with a little experience with Windows and Mac, so I'm probably bias. I steered him towards the Asus Chromebox 3 with the i3 processor, and the largest storage and ram available. He's been talking about getting a flatscreen TV for years, so I told him he should get the aforementioned Chromebox, a flatscreen TV that does 4k from a reputable company, and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I asked him what he does with his computer besides browse the interwebz and YouTube. He responded that he uses word, which is an easy answer, but he also stated that he uses Photoshop at times. He also stated that he plans to keep his very old Windows machine that has Windows 95 in order to use his old GIS software from way back, but maybe Photoshop as well. Am I steering him in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Atomizer posted:

That sounds fine, although depending on what you're paying for that Chromebox
This is what I have suggested to him

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221516

I've used Photoshop Express before, but beyond that and the other recommendations in the OP, I don't do much photo editing myself.
[/quote]
There are programs that I have liked him to, but I am not sure what functionality he needs, but I will link him to what is posted on the OP. Whatever functionality he needs seems to be met by his old rear end Windows machine.
[/quote]
I often recommend having a spare Windows machine on your network, because that can facilitate Google Cloud Printing if necessary
[/quote]
[/quote] you can also connect to it remotely to run any other software (like Photoshop) but I haven't known anyone to run Win95 in a long time. :stare: I mean is his legacy software really so old it can't be run on a more modern version of Windows (if a modern version of that software isn't available?)
[/quote]
He has GIS software that he paid good money for way back that he is not willing to spend again for the Windows machine that he is replacing, but I assume Google maps probably does almost does now what that software did then.
Sorry if the format is hosed, but I'm posting from phone. Please forgive great Goons.