Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Atomizer posted:

The Fire HD tablets are excellent as cheap Android devices, as you can install the Google Play Store/Services and access almost all regular Android apps while ignoring Amazon's ecosystem. I use a 2017 Fire HD 10 as my daily YT viewer; I think I paid $70 for it including the wireless dock/cradle, and used the Fire Toolbox to install the Google stuff. It's a loving steal, and they regularly sell current and recent models like that one dirt cheap.

Totally agree. The Fire world be my first recommendation for an Android tablet and even the unmodified version is great. I keep one around just for vacation reading and videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Has anyone tried a USI stylus on the Duet? The advent of Cursive has me mildly interested in it but I don't want to drop the money on a stylus if it's just going to be annoying. I also don't know if every USI stylus of dubious provenance on Amazon is fine, or if I need to drop the dough on, say, the HP one (I've heard the Lenovo one is kind of crummy).

+1 for this. I like the idea of handwriting on a tablet, just never had the setup where it worked well. If cursive comes together, that would be great

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I used a Lenovo Duet 2 for a while and while I liked the idea (keyboard, but also functions as tablet, nice size and form factor) after a while I drifted away. It seemed slow and glitchy, lots of apps quitting or taking forever to launch or beach balling, sometimes it wouldn't recognize the keyboard was attached

Now I'm looking at the Duet 3. The processor is only a bit faster but maybe 8G of memory will make a difference. Experience, opinions?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
That's just the advice I was looking for. A convertible might be the way to go - as said, I'd mostly want it for the keyboard mode with occasional use as a tablet and that avoids the detachable keyboard cleverness. I was also struck by a reviewers comment about the Duet that ChromeOS is not a great OS / UI for tablets

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Picked up a Pixelbook Go - great device. A few questions:

* Mine was secondhand and didn't come with a stylus. Any value added by one? I can't say that I miss it

* I'm hoping to do more writing on it, word docs, some plain text, some presentations. What are people's best tips for that? The Office365 workflow seems a bit awkward - install OneDrive, use the web interface, etc. I got an Office subscription but there doesn't seem to be any android apps for it anymore.

* Similarly, I'd like to do a little light coding and analytics. Emphasis on light - not bragging out Java, but maybe some R or Python and text manipulation. But all the guides for dev on a Chromebook have you just use it as a gateway to a cloud service, when my data is right here or in Google drive. I wanted to grab the first 500 lines of a text file the other day, a simple commandline on Linux, and couldn't figure how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Based on my experience, with 4Gb you're going to suffer. Chrome and ChromeOS are memory pigs and the majority of chromebooks cheap out with minnniaml memeory. I've got a 16Gb chromebook and things still occasionally quit or stutter.