Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You repeatedly use the term "ARC" to refer to running android apps on Chromebooks, but AFAIK the current system is not based on ARC which was the previous failed attempt to get Android apps to run on Chromebooks using a completely different approach.

(ARC was a chrome browser app using NACL or something to emulate android, wheres the current approach I think involved extending the kernel to support Android apis so they could be run directly in a chroot environment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, are people really using chromebooks outside of education in 2017? I bought a cheap bay trail one a few years ago and since I have it lying around I'm using it with linux in situations (like if I'm going to need it to leave it in a locker at my gym) where I don't want to worry about my better laptop getting stolen. At the time, chromebooks were the only dirt cheap laptops that had solid state (although just emmc) storage, and they had better build quality than cheap windows laptops, but now there are more options on the windows side so I don't think it really makes sense to buy a chromebook just to install linux on it. Also, chromebooks now seem to be as or more expensive than equivalent windows laptops.

If you only need internet/word processing I can see chromeos working, but for the latter use the lack of Word or Libreoffice can be problematic. (I guess for kids writing reports for school they really only need the bare essentials so Google Docs would be sufficient.)

For people who are actually using chromeos without installing linux in whatever form, I would be curious to hear how they are actually using their computer.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 29, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

My original goal was basically just to do word processing, so your use case makes sense LionArcher.

I had sort of forgotten about the exact details, but I just remembered that my main problem was that I was mostly using the chromebook without internet access (I was trying to use it during my commute on public transportation). This caused additional problems that I hadn't anticipated:
1) I didn't have the option of using web sites instead of apps for some things I needed (mainly a dictionary program)
2) There turned out to be lots of additional limitations in Google Docs when used offline. I think even spellchecking didn't work, which was really frustrating? I don't know if that is still the case.
3) Syncing was more finicky than I was hoping. It took some time to actually sync when I got my laptop online again, and it wasn't obvious that it had completed, which was frustrating when I was trying to switch between using my desktop at home and the chromebook. This might also be better now.

I think if you always have internet access when you're using the chromebook it will be a much smoother experience.

Also, a lot of it effectively comes down to how tolerable Google Docs is for your uses. I ended up realizing that I was wasting time because of minor formatting issues when converting to word files.

Edit: Also, at the time, trying to use ARC for android apps was an absolutely terrible experience (really slow to start apps and you couldn't even resize them; they all were one of two fixed sizes based on phone or tablet dimensions). I can imagine that the new system combined with termux covers a lot more use cases.

It still seems like you have to spend a lot of working getting back to where you would start on another operating system if your requirements are at all complicated, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 29, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

i had to return my motorcycle because i could only use it to reliably commute to work every day but when i tried to bring my sons soccer team to a game it wouldnt work? i think they should have probably tested the design more before release

quote:

:confused: I'm considering buying a motorcycle but I'm worried about the limitations. Maybe a minivan would be more suitable for my purposes?

:colbert: No, get a motorcycle! It can do everything you need it to!

:confused: OK, I bought it but I can't seem to use it to bring my son's soccer team to a game?

:colbert: Normal people don't need to bring their kids' soccer team to games, you weirdo. And we never said it can do that; why did you expect that it could?

:confused: Wow, motorcycles are pretty limited; I wish you hadn't told me it could do everything I need it to, so I'm posting here so other people are aware of these limitations.

:colbert: Why are you attacking us and motorcycles?!! Get out of this thread!

mystes
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

ChromeOS Linux support is going live in the Dev channel for Pixelbook today.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/08/chrome-os-is-getting-linux-app-support/
This could potentially make me a lot more willing to consider chromebooks again in the future.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In theory Google could make it possible to package individual linux apps for the app store, which would be pretty amazing, but I don't think that would really be something they would be interested in (e.g. Google Docs would have to compete with Libreoffice on the chromebook) and I can't imagine that they're interested in creating a new type of app for chromebooks at this point anyway (even though the chromebook still supports apps after deprecating them for chrome on other platforms). I think this is more about making chromebooks more appealing to developers.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 10, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

blunt posted:

It's not virtualization, it's containerization same same way that Android apps presently run (shared underlying kernel, chrome desktop environment in a container, android environment in a container, now linux desktop environment in a container). Performance will be roughly the same as the android apps.
Are you sure? Various people having been saying that it runs a container inside a VM (using KVM) or something like that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Based on the experience with Android apps who knows how well it actually work or when it will roll out to other devices. If you just bought a Chromebook you might literally be better off returning it (presumably not an option in your case though) and then buying a new one when you know what level of support there will be.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Martin Random posted:

I just need a machine to do drafting/writing text document work on the go, do my secure banking and business stuff, store my encrypted password file, basically, my clean, travel machine.

I bought this:
Acer 15.6" Chromebook Celeron N3060 Dual-Core 1.6GHz 2GB RAM 16GB Flash ChromeOS (Certified Refurbished)

instead of this:
Acer Chromebook 14, Aluminum, 14-inch Full HD, Intel Celeron Quad-Core N3160, 4GB LPDDR3, 32GB, Chrome, CB3-431-C5FM

Have I just hosed myself? I can still return it...
You should probably return it. The Chromebook 14 already has pretty much the bare minimum specs you would want in 2018 and you bought one with half as much ram, a much slower (half the cores) CPU, a very low resolution screen, and half the flash storage (although this last thing may not be as important for chromebooks).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

I wish I knew which models other than the Pixelbook and Samsung Plus were eventually going to get native Linux support.
You mean linux vm support, right? Didn't they just add this for a bunch more models?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got to look at it today. It is some website called Kessler Science or something like that. I clicked the download button on their website for the PowerPoint but it will not even download anything.

I told the teacher that it must be on their website and her best bet is to contact them and either ask for a refund or for them to email some resources to her. We will see if they go for either.
It's just aws and I can access that exact powerpoint file from the url in the screenshot so it's probably not their website. I don't currently have a chromebook to test it on but it's most likely either a problem with your network or you have something weird installed in chrome as Buff Hardback said.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Redhat does contribute a lot to linux, but I don't think that automatically means that fedora will run the best on your chromebook.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Did the Chromebit ever go anywhere?
No.

mystes
May 31, 2006

So after not using a chromebook since around 2015 (before the container-based Android system and crostini), when I got fed up with it because I kept running into things it couldn't do and it was useless when I didn't have an internet connection, I decided to buy a Lenovo Chromebook 3 since they were on sale for 80 dollars and I'm pretty happy with it.

For me crostini makes a HUGE difference that basically turns chrome os into what I was imagining it was before I bought the previous chromebook way back.

The Lenovo Chromebook 3 is a piece of junk with only 4GB of ram, 64GB of eSSD, a celeron processor, and a very bad/low resolution screen, but it's very small, light, quiet, has good battery life, and charges tolerably using a 20W phone charger, plus for the price (and since chrome os seems to be decently secure) I'm not going to worry about it getting stolen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

other people posted:

What's the deal with the Lenovo Duet 3 chromebook tablet thing? I can find the larger Duet 5 for sale all over but the smaller 3 cannot be found and the lenovo website lists it as unavailable. Is this just supply issues or do they really not make it any more?

I am in europe if it matters.
You mean the new version that literally just came out? I think most places just don't have it yet.

The old 11 inch one that I guess wasn't called the 3 has recently been on sale everywhere.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 17, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah the naming is confusing and the chrome tablet situation isn't great.

The Duet 3 sounds like it's hugely improved over the old mediatech chipset version though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

How decent is the chromebook android app experience in the year of our lord 2022, assuming the app I'm using doesn't lock itself to a phone size? There's a couple of android apps I was hoping to use but otherwise most of my other common stuff would be better on a chromebook vs a tablet.
I've found it kind of hit or miss in terms of how well the individual apps work, but part of that is because of using it with a keyboard and mouse with android stuff that isn't really designed around that. If you're using it with a touchscreen I imagine there's less UI weirdness.

Also it's a little buggy in general (I've had the whole android system lock up until I restart once or twice). But depending on the apps it can actually work pretty decently. I have the cheapest possible chromebook (and it's x86) so android apps are a bit slow so if you have something with decent specs and/or an arm processor it will probably be better.

It's always possible the apps just won't work, though, so I think you really won't know unless you test the apps you want to use.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 18, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

other people posted:

Alright so I bought a lenovo duet 5 and it is alright. But what is extremely frustrating is that the linux vm/container feature won't install. Even immediately after a powerwash, the installer takes about three minutes and finally just says the installation failed and that's it. Is there one weird trick to get this thing to work?
It's probably not this but just in case: Did you just turn it on within the last hour? Has it updated to the latest chrome os version yet?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow who could have seen this coming

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think also most of chrome os devices have crappier styluses not Wacom ones so even if there were decent stylus apps it may not be a great experience.

Otoh a Chromebook may be better for word processing.

It's disappointing that it's not possible to get a device that combines the best of chrome os and android tablets with styluses

mystes
May 31, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've been using various Chromebooks since 2014 and never bought a Pixelbook. I prefer cheaper models as I don't really need the performance and I like something that I can easily replace.

However, I have to give Google credit keeping a careful eye over OEMs such that pretty much any model out there has the same (key) layout and general physical characteristics, unlike the jank-rear end designs of the netbook era. I hope this group disbanding doesn't affect this oversight as Chromebooks are one of the very few products where pretty much anything in the $300-400 range is going to meet a baseline level of quality.
I don't think that will change unless they just axe chrome os entirely

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly with the limitations of chromebooks I don't really see the point in getting a high end one anyway. I'm kind of surprised the pixelbook was so popular to begin with.

I'm happy with my dirt cheap one, and if the android support worked a bit better I would be willing to pay a bit more and get one with a touchscreen and a stylus or a separate chrome tablet so I could also replace my old samsung android tablet, but with chrome os in its curent form I just don't see the point when you're paying a lot more.

I guess if lightness/battery life were the main factors rather than cost, etc. then you could see them as competing with macbooks though.

Ideally I would be willing to pay a lot more for a powerful, light device that could do a good job replacing both a tablet and a laptop., and I guess in another world it's possible to imagine google managing to solve that either in the form of chrome os or in improving android to work better with keyboard/mouse but it doesn't seem like google is really capable of innovating on stuff like that anymore. Apple hasn't been able to make a device that combines a macbook and ipad either.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

silence_kit posted:

The M1/M2 MacBook Air is really a better (albeit more expensive) version of the Chromebook. I got a refurbished base model M1 MacBook Air a couple of months ago, and it is way better than the Asus C302 Chromebook I used to own in almost every way.
I definitely think MacBook airs make more sense now if you want something nicer with good battery life and no fan now.

I might pick one up to replace my other laptop once it's possible to run Linux decently on them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Atomizer posted:

After I made my initial reply to your comment in my previous post I came across this article which reiterates my thoughts (and I updated the OP with it.) The opposition to paying more money for a better device is often nonsense unless it's applied to luxury items, but it's ridiculous when it's used as a double-standard to criticize higher-end CBs but not, say, Macbooks or Windows laptops.
That article seems a little pointless to me because it is just arguing about the existence of expensive Chromebooks abstractly rather than actually discussing specific reasons why you would want a chromebook with higher specs aside from briefly mentioning that they theoretically exist if you're running windows in a vm or coding in crostini.

My point is that if you don't use crostini or a lot of android apps, chrome os is so lightweight that it's hard to need much ram or a fast cpu. Even a cheap Chromebook will get the job done surprising well so there might not be as much need for better specs compared to another os where you're running a zillion programs simultaneously rather than just a browser.

This isn't a "double standard" it's just ChromeOS being very lightweight so it doesn't require much ram or a fast cpu. (If anything it's a failing of windows that it's completely unusable without better specs even if you're literally just running a web browser.)

If I was considering whether to upgrade my desktop, I would consider whether I need more ram (am I maxing out my current ram ignoring fs buffers) and whether I need more cpu (am I frequently hitting 100% cpu usage). If I wasn't, buying a fancier computer just because of some abstract logic that linux computers deserve to be expensive too would be a bit silly.

So, if you are using crostini heavily, or something then by all means get a Chromebook with better specs. I'm aware that there are people who use chromeos primarily so they can use linux via crostini. However, at a certain point (and this is just my personal opinion that other people would probably disagree with) it doesn't feel like there's that much reason to be using ChromeOS then rather than Linux if you're mostly just using crostini (obviously you need to janitor Linux then but I've you're using crostini heavily enough you're doing that anyway).

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 27, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think the actual Chrome browser experience is better on Chrome OS than on desktop Linux, which it should be given that the entire system is designed around it. So there's a compelling use case for people who use a browser most of the time and occasionally have to drop into a terminal or run a Linux GUI app.

I also strongly disagree with the statement about having to janitor crostini. The main reason people have to janitor Linux is due to kernel/OS upgrades, which are needed for improved hardware support or security updates. Chrome OS takes care of the hardware support/security update aspect, so it doesn't really matter if the software you run via crostini is even a couple years out of date since the stuff people use it for isn't moving very quickly anyways.
You're talking about light/occasional use of crostini. I was talking about why I don't think ChromeOS makes sense once you're primarily doing everything in crostini.

When you're only using crostini lightly, the specs of the chromebook don't really matter which was the actual point I was making.

OTOH, if you're doing software development or something in crostini you're going to spend just as much time janitoring distro and software versions as you would if you were just running Linux, but you could also use containers to solve that which would provide all the advantages you ascribed to crostini.

It seems like the argument people keep making is that, yeah, theoretically you could be doing all this cpu/memory intensive stuff in crostini, therefore Chromebooks need good specs, but then when it comes down to how people actually use it it's always "I occasionally use the terminal to ssh into another computer."

If you're actually using crostini for more intensive stuff feel free to correct me.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 27, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

After getting a bunch of use out of the dirt cheap IdeaPad 11.6" chromebook I picked up in June for situations like where I have to leave it in my car, I decided I was happy enough with chrome os to buy a used Lenovo Flex 5i 13.3" to try to use in place of my pretty old laptop in other situations and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

I had vaguely been eyeing some of the "gaming chromebooks" that there have been deals for but they have pretty weird specs and I decided it didn't really make that much sense to spend more money right now for a 12th gen processor but still only have 8gb of ram.

I might try to upgrade the 128gb ssd at some point but unfortunately it only takes 2242's and the options seem to be somewhat limited.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The "gaming chromebooks" were just vaguely tempting because they were $430-$450 for a 12th gen i3 processor and a 2k-ish 120fps 16" screen.

The 12th gen i3 processors are a huge upgrade over previous 2 core i3 laptop cpus because they have 4 p cores (and 8 e cores).

It seems like the specs on budget chromebooks have been pretty stagnant but they're finally poised to improve. Right now my requirements aren't that high, my old laptop is pretty clunky, and I just wanted something more convenient for travelling, plus it would be nice to have a folding one that I can use to minimally replace my extremely ancient android tablet to some degree, which is why I just picked up the lenovo flex 5i since it was extremely cheap ($190), but I figure if the better specs trickle down I might replace it in a couple years.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

I thought going from 4 to 8GB in my newest Chromebook was a game changer. I wouldn't even know what to do with that much ram.

Speaking of my Chromebook. I've been ignoring my MediaTek Kompanio 828 Acer 14 for a few months because it was largely replaced with a Lenovo Windows Yoga 7i, but I've been using it a bit again lately and I kind of fell back in love with Chrome OS, it's light weight, solid browsing experience, absolutely zero heat or fan noise (it has no fan), and absolutely insane 15+ hour battery life. My only complaint about the machine is that the speakers sound worse than my drat phone, despite its "DTS" branding. I bet they could be made to sound better if ChromeOS had some sort of user adjustable equalizer settings. Ah well.

Sometimes the ARM cores struggle with loading a lot of content on a page, especially when I'm running a dozen tabs, but all things considered; I think the performance is great. If they were to refresh this thing with a Snapdragon 8 gen 2 or a functionally equivalent chip; I bet it would surprise a lot of people.
Even though Chrome OS is pretty usable even with 4gb, and if you aren't using android apps or crostini that much you might not strictly need 8gb, it might still be worth it to avoid having to suspend tabs in the browser because that makes things slower. I would also just suggest ideally not buying one with only 4gb now for future proofing just in case.

I'm pretty happy with chrome os for 90% of what I need on the go right now but at some point I'm going to have to decide whether to replace my old real laptop with a higher spec chromebook with a bigger screen in cases where I need that when traveling. Unfortunately I've experienced a fair amount of issues with crostini which make it hard for me to trust chrome os for 100% of what I need to do so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with that yet.

Chrome OS is a fantastic experience when it works for what you want it to do though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 20, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

blunt posted:

It's pretty funny and very Google that they killed Stadia before they properly launched the "Gaming Chromebooks"
they don't even have enough of a pretense of any sort of overall coordination or strategy for it to even feel ironic

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think they're about to roll it out on the stable channel?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The i3-n305 cpu is just 8 e cores and no p cores. Considering how well the n100 cpu performs with 4 compared to older Celeron cpus that's not necessarily a problem and it's probably a great fit for a Chromebook (and better than most ultra portable chromebooks) but it's going to pale in comparison with a normal 12th Gen CPU in performance

As long as you don't want steam and aren't doing a ton of CPU or memory intensive stuff in crostini and don't need a touchscreen for Android apps those are good specs for the price

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steam is now available on more devices in the latest stable version of chrome os, so you can use it if you have a 12th generation cpu that wasn't supported in the beta before. You just have to search for "steam installer" in the launcher and run it