Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Uuhhhhh.... What?

Les Miserables, famous Novel by Victor Hugo, adapted into stage, show, movie, cartoon, and a few video games. We're playing Arm Joe, a fighting game based off some of those other adaptations.

Okay, sure, but Literary Let's Play?

Yes. This is not just me, Ryushikaze being a dumbass with a Doujin Fighter. I am joined by my Girlfriend, By The Stars, who is an absolute expert on all things Les Mis, and has a published academic paper on the subject of Les Mis in Japan. 150 some pages, meticulously researched.

How's this work?

Each episode is going to focus on playing through a character's story, or at least as much of one as I can before the game's difficult wall blocks me. I'll try and show off supers and specials and talk about fighting styles as best I can, but it's ArmJoe so no promises that they'll work 100% of the time. My expertise here is the world of fighting games, with some knowledge of Les Mis.
By The Stars is going to talk about the actual story stuff, what each character's playstyle and supers are referencing.

Spoiler Policy

None. It's a 200 year old novel, and a decade old fighting game. Talk about anything you like.

Now then.

Episodes

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

[reserved]

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Jean ValJean

By The Stars: Jean Valjean - aka Prisoner 24601 (24653 in Japan) - is the novel's protagonist. He serves 19 years in prison after stealing bread for his starving family. Upon release, his faith in humanity and God is restored due to an encounter with the kindly Bishop of Digne, and he breaks parole in order to reinvent himself. Travels across France to stay ahead of the police, becoming a businessman, mayor, philanthropist, and, most importantly, Cosette's adoptive father. Saves the life of Cosette's beau Marius before dying peacefully in his sleep. In-game design is drawn more from descriptions in the novel's text than any stage or film portrayals.

Ryu: ValJean is the game's de facto Bruiser character. Slow, heavy, lots of health, hits like a truck. He's distinguished from other slow characters mostly by having a pretty killer set of cross screen attacks that turn him into a cannon, like his flying kick and his shoulder charge. If you're picking up the game, he's a solid choice to start off with, since even his basic punches and kicks seem to have priority over most other characters specials, but not supers.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 11, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

JAVERT

By The Stars: Inspector Javert is the story's primary antagonist. Born in prison to criminal parents, he developed an unshakable belief in justice and the rightness of the law. After Valjean breaks parole, Javert is determined to find and re-capture him. He chases him across France through years, false names and identities, consistently able to see through Valjean's every disguise. Their final encounter is during the June 1832 uprising, which Javert infiltrates as a spy for the police. Valjean spares his life, shattering Javert's worldview by forcing him to acknowledge that he is both a convict and a good man. The conflicted Inspector is unable to live with this realization and commits suicide via jumping into the River Seine. His in-game design is based on Australian actor Phillip Quast, who portrayed him in the 10th Anniversary production.

Ryu: Russel Crowe, I mean Javert is not the Ken to Valjean's Ryu as one might expect- though there IS a Shotoclone in this game- but he instead is a lighter weight, but still heavy character. Javert is defined by relentless pursuit, and that does come through. He closes the gap and then wants to keep players locked with quick combos that rack up damage. His most iconic move is probably his flying leap, which homages his falling from a bridge to end his own life.

Also, HI everyone! We're back, having worked out audio kinks and hopefully recording more often so the thread isn't locked this time. Do you want us to tackle a character next? We're already doing Eponine next, but you can vote to show off anyone else next.

Available choices are PonPon, The Thenardiers, Police, Marius, Enjolras, Cosette, and Robojean. We will be saving Judgement for last.

Sadly, there is no Gavroche

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 11, 2017

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I'll be, an LP of Arm Joe. Never thought I'd see it, but I like it.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
you know, considering that this is a fighting game based on loving les mis and featuring a random bunny mascot and robo-jean valjean, it's surprisingly faithful to the source material.

i'm not exactly a les mis scholar, but it's my favourite musical and javert is my favourite character - p. much entirely because "stars" is the best drat song in any musical. and then they cast a guy who absolutely does not have the voice to do it justice in the movie :negative:

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I vote for RoboJean after Eponine, because Super Fighting Robot Jean Valjean deserves to be witnessed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The world is stranger than I ever knew.

Can everyone kick themselves up to stage 3 but bleed out in the process? It seems very fitting for Les Mis.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Azure Dreamer posted:

you know, considering that this is a fighting game based on loving les mis and featuring a random bunny mascot and robo-jean valjean, it's surprisingly faithful to the source material.

i'm not exactly a les mis scholar, but it's my favourite musical and javert is my favourite character - p. much entirely because "stars" is the best drat song in any musical. and then they cast a guy who absolutely does not have the voice to do it justice in the movie :negative:

You might just be Tanz's new favorite person, just so you know.

Bendigeidfran posted:

I vote for RoboJean after Eponine, because Super Fighting Robot Jean Valjean deserves to be witnessed.

Robo Jean it is.

Glazius posted:

The world is stranger than I ever knew.

Can everyone kick themselves up to stage 3 but bleed out in the process? It seems very fitting for Les Mis.

Yes. Everyone can activate it. I believe- documentation on ArmJoe is spotty at best- that it is called suffering mode.

Now then, the reason you're here!

EPONINE

By The Stars: Eponine is the Thenardiers' daughter, greatly spoiled in her youth but later forced to live on the streets, starving and thieving with the rest of her family. She is clever and streetwise but dreams of something more than the life of crime her parents lead. She strikes up a friendship with and eventually falls for Marius, but he never reciprocates. Despite her feelings, she helps him meet with Cosette in secret and protects Valjean and Cosette from her father's plan to rob them. She joins the 1832 uprising disguised as a boy, where she is shot and killed (in the book, specifically by taking a bullet meant for Marius). Her death scene in Marius's arms is one of the story's most iconic moments in any adaptation. Her in-game design is based on her iconic outfit during her solo "On My Own".

Ryu: Eponine is not a horse, but she is named after the same goddess as Link's horse. Her name, as we discuss in the video, is probably an original by Hugo meaning little Epona. As a character, Eponine is all over the place. I don't mean in terms of stats and tricks, I mean she is constantly moving at very, very high speeds. She also has a self heal super we pull off, and her level three super that's even more awesome than dropping a barricade on someone.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 11, 2017

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Ryushikaze posted:

and he breaks patrol

Should be "parole", as correctly used in Javert's bio.

Also holy poo poo a Les Mis fighting game how did I never know this existed.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i like that one of enjolras's moves appears to be shooting an off-camera policeman in such a way that he falls on his opponent. that is a very powerful fighting game move.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Grinnblade posted:

Should be "parole", as correctly used in Javert's bio.

Also holy poo poo a Les Mis fighting game how did I never know this existed.

Fixed, thank you. Can't believe I didn't catch that.

Azure Dreamer posted:

i like that one of enjolras's moves appears to be shooting an off-camera policeman in such a way that he falls on his opponent. that is a very powerful fighting game move.

Reference to his shooting the police sniper during the revolt, and yes, an awesome nonstandard fireball move.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems weird that some generic policeman has more super bars than everybody else.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Can I request you show off everybody's supers? There's a lot of really good ones. :allears:

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

Can I request you show off everybody's supers? There's a lot of really good ones. :allears:

I'll do my best, If I don't get around to it/ can't pull them off in story mode, I'll dedicate an episode or two to practice mode showing them off, because yes, they are pretty awesome.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can I just say that not only is it awesome to see an LP of Arm Joe, but also that there's an expert on the literary classic it was based on? :allears: This game seems janky as all hell, but it's so charming I can't help but love it.

For By The Stars, I'll bite. Why do you think makes Javert one of the most interesting characters?

P.S. What's the most Arm Joe-esque adaptation of Les Mis that I can check out? I have yet to actually see Les Mis for myself, but I'd be interested in starting somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Can I just say that not only is it awesome to see an LP of Arm Joe, but also that there's an expert on the literary classic it was based on? :allears: This game seems janky as all hell, but it's so charming I can't help but love it.

For By The Stars, I'll bite. Why do you think makes Javert one of the most interesting characters?

P.S. What's the most Arm Joe-esque adaptation of Les Mis that I can check out? I have yet to actually see Les Mis for myself, but I'd be interested in starting somewhere.

Hey, BTS/Tanz here. So I'm suuuper biased in regards to Javert, because he was the topic of my undergraduate research, so I fully acknowledge that others may not share my opinions. But Javert was the kind of character who you didn't see a lot during the time Hugo was writing - a character who criticizes the authority/system without being a one dimensional caricature, morally black and unquestionably evil. Criticism of the system comes not from other characters commenting on Javert's actions but from within Javert himself. Javert is an observer of Jean Valjean's journey and is forced to admit, after years of desperate denial, that he is a good man....and he can't. Javert sees the flaws within the system, the flaws within -himself-, and he can't accept them, so he takes the only course of action that he can. He's a tragic character at a time that this kind of character wasn't -allowed- to be tragic - contrast Hugo's own Frollo, or the Scarlet Pimpernel's Citizen Chauvelin. This, I think, is what makes Javert so wonderful - an antagonist who is never allowed to descend into full villainy, who is granted as much time and examination by the narrative as any of the more classically heroic characters, who exists in three dimensions. The reader is allowed to feel sorrow, is able to wish that he could have avoided his fate - while also understanding, ultimately, why he couldn't. Er. Sorry. Told you it's be a bit of a rant ❤

If you're looking for the exaggerated, comical actions and movements of the characters as seen in Arm Joe, there's the Liam Neeson (Valjean) / Geoffrey Rush (Javert) non-musical film, which is not amazing plot-wise but makes it a bit more of an action story than Les Mis is typically allowed to be. Of course, I will always recommend the musical (the film is so-so but arguably a good starting place, though full versions of the 10th and 25th anniversary productions are available online) which is where most of the Arm Joe character designs are drawn from (except the Thernadiers and sorta Valjean) and, while it may not have any barricades dropping from the sky, has tons of emotional and intense moments and is truly an unequaled piece of theater.

And there you have it, though Tanz did neglect to mention the Les Mis anime that exists. It's about Cosette.- Ryu

• Locked thread