Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vernacular posted:

Pretty amazing that we were able to pawn A-Gon, Kaz and McCarthy off on someone in a single trade.

Not really sure where Kemp fits in with the lineup. Maybe he gets traded again soon idk. Or maybe Taylor gets moved to 2B full time and we have Kemp/Toles and Enrique/Pederson platoons in the outfield?

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/942124877770829824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This looks really good for both teams cash-wise, honestly doesn’t matter if any of these players see more than a few games.

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
Could Kemp be part of a Yelich trade with Dodgers paying most of his salary and prospects? Then Miami has a “name star” to sell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
That Kemp/Gonzalez trade is like looking into a crystal ball that shows 4 years into the future and softly whispering the words “Eric Hosmer.”

I mean other than the part where Hosmer isn’t anywhere near as good as those guys were in their best years.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Is Adrian Gonzalez any good? Seems like a decent reclamation project.

Edit: just looked at his last year's numbers, woof

Fell off a cliff last year due to injury.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Culberson gives them a 1 year stopgap in the infield until Riley is ready

Kazmir/McCarthy would also be 1 year stopgaps until the 40 guys they have in AA from this year are ready for MLB

Ok that makes sense, I didn't see that Kemp has another year on his contract.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Slothass posted:

Could Kemp be part of a Yelich trade with Dodgers paying most of his salary and prospects? Then Miami has a “name star” to sell.

Kemp is not a star.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

seiferguy posted:

Is Adrian Gonzalez any good? Seems like a decent reclamation project.

Edit: just looked at his last year's numbers, woof

He almost certainly is a reclamation project if some lower echelon team needs a 1B who can play a role with the bat. Even with presumable age related decline before last year it’s not like his OBP went into the tank or anything. He’s just not a star and it’s a total gamble that he could even return to 2016 form at age 36.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wut

Edit: oh duh it’s dumping near term money for spread it money so they can get under the luxury tax this year. They’ll prob DFA Kemp. I guess that makes sense

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 16, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

wut

Edit: oh duh it’s dumping near term money for spread it money so they can get under the luxury tax this year. They’ll prob DFA Kemp. I guess that makes sense

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/942127755629662208

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Adrian Gonzalez immediately DFA’d

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Clearing a spot for Acuna, freeing money for '19, getting a guy to eat innings and a stopgap/utility infielder sounds good?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Jubs posted:

Kemp is not a star.

He still should be given the 2011 MVP retroactively. :colbert:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Clearing a spot for Acuna, freeing money for '19, getting a guy to eat innings and a stopgap/utility infielder sounds good?

All without giving up a single minor leaguer. I was sure they’d have to get rid of Markakis first and maybe still sweeten the pot to do it.

They’ll still have to get rid of Markakis, mind, just now they can probably wait for midseason.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

Adrian Gonzalez immediately DFA’d

Was he okay in 2016? I know he was bad this season because he was hurt. Seems like a decent find on the spring training scrap heap.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pancakes posted:

He still should be given the 2011 MVP retroactively. :colbert:

I agree

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Daily reminder, gently caress Ryan Braun

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Oh god.... we're a few days away from seeing A-Gon as the new Indians 1B, aren't we?

:bang:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Daily reminder, gently caress Ryan Braun

I actually said that to someone from Wisconsin I met today. It's just reflexive at this point.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Craptacular! posted:

Was he okay in 2016? I know he was bad this season because he was hurt. Seems like a decent find on the spring training scrap heap.

passable? even in 2016 his slugging had dropped like 50 points from the previous year. For a team looking for a 1B on the cheap he's probably worth a minor league deal with an invite to spring training, but someone's probably gonna overpay him

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Inspector_666 posted:

Not only to the Phillies have Carlos Santana, their bench coach is Rob Thompson.

Pretty smooth pickups.

Underrated post. This song used to drive me crazy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I totally blanked on the fact that Matt Kemp was on the Padres

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I doubt most baseball fans could name more than like 2 Padres post-2010

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheFlyingLlama posted:

passable? even in 2016 his slugging had dropped like 50 points from the previous year. For a team looking for a 1B on the cheap he's probably worth a minor league deal with an invite to spring training, but someone's probably gonna overpay him

He shouldn't cost a team much more than half a mil or whatever the minimum is for 2018 considering Braves are paying the money he's owed and telling him to go away and they don't care where.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 16, 2017

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Carlosologist posted:

gently caress Matt Kemp

AJ Preller is cool and good but that trade with the Dodgers was so bad

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I doubt most baseball fans could name more than like 2 Padres post-2010

Seth Smith, Hector Sanchez, James Shields, Melvin Upton

Players for the Padres that the Padres developed would be pulling teeth. Anthony Rizzo?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

New Concept Hole posted:

Players for the Padres that the Padres developed would be pulling teeth. Anthony Rizzo?

Rizzo was a Red Sox prospect originally

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Overall he was a marginally above average bat but not for a 1B (111 wRC+) with what felt like diminished power. I think there were nagging injuries then too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yovani Gallardo going back to Milwaukee. Wtf. He's more consistent than Garza I guess and he brings pitcher dingers with him.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

cis autodrag posted:

Yovani Gallardo going back to Milwaukee. Wtf. He's more consistent than Garza I guess and he brings pitcher dingers with him.

so what you're saying is

cis autodrag posted:

gently caress the DH

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
always

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Nah he’s fine if you aren’t competitive. He’s probably going to cost too much if you’re just looking for a backup. Maybe he could DH though. Doesn’t seem like the dedicated DH is still a thing. I wouldn’t know I don’t pay attention to the abomination that is the Designated Hitter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ColdBlooded posted:

gently caress Matt Kemp

AJ Preller is cool and good but that trade with the Dodgers was so bad

Obviously that was an ownership level decision. The owners are known meddlers.

We have had a bad record of development for years. It’s not fair to judge Preller on that because none of the dudes he’s drafted have hit the majors. Even Hunter Renfroe, a current Padre and current Padre draft disappointment at the major league level, was drafted a year before Preller got there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

:smith: Trea Turner was our 2014 first round pick that we traded before he was even eligible to trade (really).

Padres have drafted 2 Hall of Famers ever. Only one in the first round, Dave Winfield.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 17, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I can name a few Padres dudes, but that's because I saw them in Single-A. Pretty sure I saw Trea Turner play one single game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Angry Grimace posted:

:smith: Trea Turner was our 2014 first round pick that we traded before he was even eligible to trade (really).

Padres have drafted 2 Hall of Famers ever. Only one in the first round, Dave Winfield.

I believe the Astros have drafted three HoFers

The best of them spent his career on the Reds though :smith:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Angry Grimace posted:

A quick thank you for Ozzie to all the Padres and, by the way. We still love him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why would the braves take all that money to help out the dodgers?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Why would the braves take all that money to help out the dodgers?

Because everybody traded to the Braves outside of Culberson is on a one year deal, whereas Kemp has two years left. The Braves just dumped ~$20m in salary after 2018 they can use to make a run on the absurdly loaded 2018 FA class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

Because everybody traded to the Braves outside of Culberson is on a one year deal, whereas Kemp has two years left. The Braves just dumped ~$20m in salary after 2018 they can use to make a run on the absurdly loaded 2018 FA class.

I understand that but they were coming off the books for the dodgers too and the braves end up paying a ton in 18 for no production. This just really helps the dodgers reset the luxury tax for 18.

• Locked thread