Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Red Red Blue posted:

This is some really goddamn lovely news to come home to...

You think you have it bad? Imagine Charlie Morton when he finds out A5 doesn’t accept returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Greatest Marlin was the truck behind AJ Burnett.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ209x5h6O0

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Your Taint posted:

Cubs by far have the weakest farm out of those 4. No chance.

I’m guessing the Marlins would take 3 bats and the desiccated corpse of Cap Anson to get that contract off the books. Their leverage is more or less gone so now it’s who wants to bypass the FA frenzy next year and take Stanton now.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

...are the White Sox assuming they're going to be competing this year?

I think they’re assuming someone will be desperate in July.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

No-one goes to see a baseball game because of ownership. The talent should be paid an appropriate portion of the total take.

Duh, we go to see Joe West!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Timby posted:

Right now, the Cubs' rotation would project to be ... Lester / Hendricks / Quintana / Butler / Chatwood, right?

Jaysus.

Montgomery would probably get the 5th slot at the moment with Jen-Ho Tseng and Butler as the AAA fallbacks.

Everything I’ve read seems to think the Cubs have 35-40 million to play with before the luxury tax would become a thing, so as we get closer to pitchers and catchers something has to give with the FA market.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

tadashi posted:

Baseball still does really well regionally and the Cubs are in one of the largest media markets in the country so it'll probably do just fine.

Would watch that content, or at least I’d like to have it available. Of course I say this as someone who sought out the tiny sliver of Cubs Convention (Everyone clap for Shawn Boskie!) content that was on this weekend.

Like was said I’m tired of searching around for Cubs games- here in Des Moines our main cable company doesn’t offer NBC Sports Chicago for some reason (When they call to pitch me TV service they say it’s due to “lack of demand”) so there’s half the schedule there. The games that air on ABC-7 in Chicago are on one local station here while the WGN games are on another- except when new network shows are on. Even the radio affiliate here will dump games in favor of colleges that pay to have their games aired. It’s a huge mess and the main reason I have Dish and a VPN for mlb.tv.

I’m hoping for a YES type deal that allows us to stream via MLB.TV, but at worst it’s still a one stop shop for all things Cubs we haven’t had since WGN stopped showing games nationwide.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Isn't Des Moines like 5 hours from Chicago, why would they carry that? It'd be like expecting them to have Fox Sports Kansas City or Minnesota's RSN (maybe they do carry FSN North).

They carry FS Midwest (Cardinals) and TWO premiere league channels on basic cable, if you subscribe to the higher tier you can actually get YES here as well. It’s all about carriage fees since this is mainly Cubs territory.

I’d really like to know what percentage of the population of Cub fandom through the years was from having those games on WGN not just nation, but worldwide. I remember reading back in the 80’s about Central and South American neighborhoods where the old ladies would sit and watch the Cubs all afternoon since they could pick up the games on their giant satellite dishes.

TV rights money is always going to be the main driver but don’t forget the promotional value. It’s why most minor league teams, even some major league teams- I know the Royals used to do this, in Missouri no less, actually pay for the (mostly radio) airtime to get their games on.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I'd be OK with an ad crawl at the bottom or something like that. I'll take constant action that I can see/hear in exchange for some advertising across the bottom that I can just ignore.

Radio has been doing “Live Reads” for decades and if you watch some old game footage you’ll hear ads through the play by play, sometimes a quick plug and occasional a full on commercial read.

I have not run any numbers but from watching live and watching on TV there’s not a ton of difference between a AAA game with a pitch clock and a (Non-Yankees/Red Sox or postseason game) MLB game. MLB is talking about all these nickel and dime changes when it seems like the real culprits are late start times coupled with long commercial breaks. Just cut 45 seconds between each half inning, add one live read or plug during the game and you don’t have a pick a fight with the union. If they really want to put a dent in game time, especially in the postseason just limit relievers to three warm-ups and get back to the game.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

This is the most pressing issue for the MLBPA right now and I hope the players realize that.

I’m sure Boras and Friends are having this very conversation with most of their clients right now, I doubt Clark is long for the job.

Unless something radically changes next winter (Machado, Harper etc. excluded, they’re getting paid) for most free agents a Verlander style last second agreement is the best possible outcome of the next CBA negotiations but I’d say a work stoppage is most likely coming.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I would love to go to Free Agent Spring Training

In 1995 I went to Bucky Dent baseball school in Fla. and it was a pretty surreal experience for a high schooler playing games and watching Jose Rico throw a bullpen while Mike Piazza and Andres Galaraga were getting loose playing catch. My teams “coach” that week was failed Red Sox prospect Gar Finvold since he was out for the spring as well, he was an rear end in a top hat though so I’m glad he never panned out.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

My favorite K-Rod pitches are the one where he falls off the mound throwing a 88mph fastball, or the one where he bounces an 84mph changeup. He does this three times in a row and then grooves a 'fastball' down the middle which ends up in the seats.

I feel so old remembering him as the secret weapon for the 2002 Angels that seemingly came out of nowhere since prospect watching was nothing like it is today.

He threw all of 5 innings in the regular season and managed .3 WAR with a nice 20/9 K rate

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

The sad thing is I don't see how a strike or lockout particularly helps the players. Even if they found somebody who wasn't a spineless git to head the MLBPA, owners have been riding a cushy gig for a while now and they're not going to give it up easily. Maybe they'll be able to wring some minor concessions out like upping the luxury tax threshold or knocking an arb year off, but the system of players getting below market value for the majority of their prime years is probably here to stay.

Like was said before, the "understanding" for decades has been that in exchange for those low priced years, free agency was the bonanza- if that's no longer the model going forward what incentive do the players have to allow the current system to continue? A soft cap that's looking pretty hard in practice, along with more teams taking the tank route might leave players no choice as their share of overall MLB revenue keeps dropping. Basically, Tony Clark is a moron and the MLBPA had the vision of Hellen Keller to let this happen.

That said I wonder how many ownership groups are really that well founded for an extended work stoppage. I can't imagine Jeets' group in Miami could with2tand the hit comfortably, the Ricketts funky debt deal is still in effect for a few more years as well. What about the Wilpons? The multi-billion Dodgers deal? Lol Tampa Bay? Yes the owners are all individually ridiculously wealthy, but a stoppage + ill will after a comeback might not be worth it to anyone but the hard liners. If something doesn't let up by the time the next CBA comes around it's going to be a long rear end drawn out and ugly fight since nothing short of a complete rewrite is likely to stop it.

Maybe Charlie Finley was right- only allow one year deals with no reserve clause. Finley was notorious cheap rear end who knew that the lack of FA supply would drive up salaries, but if efficiency is the new market efficiency maybe pay for performance with some longevity/injury protection is the only smooth way forward.

SlumPrince posted:

I keep feeling like I'm missing a joke or going loving crazy, but I could swear this is the third time I've seen references to 32 teams in the last few pages or so and yet I can only count 30 teams but no one else has called it out or said anything. Is it just me?

The Expos and Cleveland Spiders live on in our hearts.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

It's not going to be fixed without a complete bottom-up rework of the entire feeder system from the lowest tiers of the minors all the way up.

MLB owners seem to be just fine with the minor league setup as is, it's cheap labor and good promotion. As is best you could probably get is a series of Arizona Fall League setups for each level where multiple teams are supplying players to a single team. There you're only saving the next to nothing you're paying org guys who occasionally come out of nowhere to put in some (cheap) productive years.

What would really be fun is to go back to the days before the farm system, with some 1950's style bonus baby rules thrown in. Minor league teams scout, sign, and develop guys then sell them to the majors if they're still under contract. Send a % to the player, let agents throw some cash their way and there's your player incentive. Maybe buying a guy gets you three years then he's free? A Bryant/Harper/Starsburg type shows up and a major league team wants to sign him? Go ahead, but he's on your 25 man roster for the next two years! Of course, someone was always going to get around the rules.

wikipedia posted:

The New York Yankees worked out a deal with the Kansas City Athletics where the Athletics signed Clete Boyer to a contract.[1] The Athletics used Boyer sparingly for the two years they had him. Then, just days after the first date at which the Athletics could send Boyer down to the minor leagues, they traded him to the Yankees as the player to be named later from a trade the previous winter. This trade did not sit well with the owners of the other American League teams. They claimed that the Yankees had used the Athletics to hold Boyer. However, the deal was allowed by the league.

Maybe we can go back to the days when Kansas City was a major league Yankee's farm team too!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They're gonna send him to the Yanks, he'll be called Billy the Martin

Then get fired.....then rehired....then fired.....

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

euphronius posted:

The Phillies tanked and instead of Correa got ....

Mickey Moniak

At least Appel won't be the "Last #1 overall pick not to make the major leagues" for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

Sloan is great, although it could really use a better beer selection.

TripAdvisor posted:

If you want an Old Style, you'll need to go to the small stand behind home plate.

Seems OK to me.

• Locked thread