Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The best answer to 'why is it okay to be transgender and not transracial' is a combination of 'what the gently caress are you talking about transgender people are murdered every day just for existing' and 'the two concepts have completely different social contexts and histories and basically have nothing in common besides the fact that some idiot decided to steal terminology from transgender people'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

-Blackadder- posted:

Then for your sake I hope neither you nor anyone you care about ever have to experience the "male privilege" of being sexually assaulted in prison, an issue, by the way, so hilariously ignored it makes the too often ignored in the past sexual assault of women look like the OJ Simpson Trial coverage.

Anyone who thinks sexual harassment and assault are gendered issues is an ignorant loving jackass really needs to educate themselves.

They're super gendered issues, as evidenced by the fact that even male victims of sexual assault are overwhelmingly victimized by other men who use feminized language to describe their victims and women (trans or cis) in prison are massively more likely to be sexually assaulted. Like these are quotes straight from one of your sources.

quote:

"Being raped, or “turned out,” he explained, redefines the male victim “as a ‘female’ in this perverse subculture, and he must assume that role as the ‘property’ of his conqueror or whoever claimed him and arranged his emasculation. He becomes a slave in the fullest sense of the term.”

"This inmate referred to him as Stephanie and forced him to wear makeup and shave his legs. It was not a rare scenario."

"John says some of the officers would even make jokes, calling him a “fag,” a “girl,” and a “bust-down.”"

"LBGTQ individuals, particularly transgender women in male prison populations, are especially vulnerable to sexual assault and victimization in prison. In the name of their safety, these victims are often isolated or placed in solitary confinement, which, as Law told me, only “ensures physical safety and the expense of mental safety.” Meanwhile, women are 30 times more likely to become a victim of sexual assault in prison compared to on the outside."

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 22, 2017

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Schwarzwald posted:

If you discount "individual stories of what is statistically outlier behavior" then we're not left with any evidence that men in power are abusive either.

Actually we're left with massive piles of statistics and in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis about the problem going back decades but okay sure.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The restaurant industry is basically a cesspool of toxic masculinity and rape culture and hasn't improved at all.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
There's also the interview he gave on public record where he happily and proudly admits to emotionally abusing a woman into developing an eating disorder.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

TheNewt posted:

Yeah I know I get it. White people do this to their folks. That's why you people are so hosed up and elect people to purposefully gently caress over your kids/parents.

Recognising your parents are lovely people isn't something exclusive to white people, nor is it in any way a virtue to live in denial if your parents are lovely people.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Vegetable posted:

There was also a good amount of unsolicited groping and touching in my recollection, but it’s okay because they ended up falling in love.

For real though, some of this stuff probably wouldn’t fly in a film about heterosexual people, particularly if it was an older men and a younger woman.

That's basically woody allen's entire career though.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Remulak posted:

What the hell is G?

Can you get me some?

It's a date rape drug so that's a pretty weird thing to try and smear the woman in question with.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Also like, even having consensual sex with people who you have professional power over with the understanding that you will give them professional advancement is somewhere between 'wildly unethical and unprofessional' and 'straight up illegal' depending on where you are.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's very reminiscent of laws being passed in 2018 that say that police having sex with people in custody is actually sexual assault. Sure that's a good move but it seems horrifying that seemingly didn't come up until now.

Britain is currently going through the fun debate of 'if an undercover police officer spends years deceiving a woman about his true identity and character specifically to spy on her and her friends and fathers a child with her has he committed rape and is he responsible at all for the child?' with the garbage met predictably arguing no to both.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Judging by the scandals of recent years, the british containment vessel for paedophiles was 'parliament'.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Imagine looking at a trifecta that involves a company that abuses and destroys entire cities, which was founded by a nazi, an actual literal nazi who raped someone and a dude who made lovely gross jokes before coming to terms with his toxic masculinity and realising he was wrong and thinking it's the third who' should be punished.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think it is. Argento says that they were friends and he had money problems and came to her requesting a sum of money, Bourdain sorted it out on the condition that he doesn't bother them again. She doesn't indicate he approached her before that.

It's hard to conflate the Bourdain that presented himself as not giving a gently caress to the one in her story who was worried about negative publicity and it seems strange that she places it all on him.

I have no idea what Bourdain you're talking about because Bourdain's reputation for most of his career was of deeply caring about a lot of social, cultural and historical issues.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Yeah the vast majority of the world, including most of the US even, places the age of consent at 16-17. What's hosed up is the weird abuse/grooming overtones in the Argento story.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

As far as I can tell everything about the grooming poo poo is (really creepy homophobic and totally inappropriate) projection on the part of the person who wrote this, who seems like a huge gaslighting piece of poo poo.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 5, 2018

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Literally one of those 'damning receipts' is that person trying to get John to get them weed and when he replies casually but doesn't immediately give them what they want they try to gaslight him.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

teacup posted:

Yes the info you have now wouldn’t be enough to render a guilty verdict. Luckily the jury that will render a verdict will see more than media reports and will see evidence.

Seriously the conspiracy theory posts on this are approaching alt right shillary fbi secret lover text to take down trump levels. Dial it back guys. “I’ll wait till trial before I decide on a Chicago PD investigating a black man” = good. “He was obviously framed I believe the entire story of two white KKK supporters in Chicago at 2am who immediately recognised a black gay actor from a show no trump supporter would watch and then commit a huge hate crime that leaves no real injuries despite having a literal noose” = stupid hot take that makes you look stupid.

The chicago PD literally ran a secret torture site to extract fake confessions out of black people my dude, it is an extremely healthy approach to be massively skeptical of anything they say or do ever.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Shaocaholica posted:

The litmus test is if its still a mugging if a man did it.

e: if a man client is a 'John', what's a woman client called? Also a 'John'?

If a guy drugged me, didn't sexually assault me but stole my wallet that would be a mugging yes.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Alan Smithee posted:

jesus...that's a thing?

Chiropractors are basically snake oil salesmen if the oil contained snake venom sometimes as well. Even the 'good ones' should be avoided in favour of an actual physiotherapist.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Alan Smithee posted:

I was confused about Caravaggio too other than the whole you know hiring undeniably real weirdo normies to portray undeniably real weirdo Normies but everyone knew that about him

Apparently he carried a sword and got into fights a lot but that just makes him sound even more punk

He probably killed a dude while attempting to cut off his dick over a prostitute, which may or may not make him more punk in your book idk.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Vagabundo posted:

His own dick?

The other dude's dick, apparently duels to the dick cutting were a thing in Rome at the time.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s important to these kinds of discussions to use the correct language. There is no doubt Louis sexually harassed people, but he didn’t touch anyone, so it’s wrong to say that he molested them. Might seem like splitting hairs to some, but I think the reason these conversations go off rails so often is because the language isn’t super clear and you end up with people basically lumping everyone into one big pile regardless of the severity of their actions or crimes, which leads to bullshit like the Aziz Ansari thing

Edited to think more clearly about a point I wasn’t making well

You should look up the definition of molestation because what he did is explicitly molestation, which does not require physical contact. If you're going to be a disingenuous pedant at least be a competent one.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Steve Yun posted:

Well googling seems to suggest molestation is legally defined as sexual harassment/abuse of minors, so harassment would be the correct term but not for the reason Bust Rodd said

It's not 'legally defined' as anything outside of implied meaning in its occasional use in the specific phrase 'child molestation' in certain state laws. Also no one was using it in a legal context because we weren't talking about charging him with a crime or about court proceedings of any kind.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/molest

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I find it hard to give a poo poo about hashing out the exact term limits of whether a celebrity can and has 'redeemed' themselves for vile behaviour and can go back to earning the same money as before because they literally have so much money that they could stop thousands of people dying at any point and still live in utter luxury for the rest of their lives.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Louis CK doesn't care if you find his jokes offensive which is why he devoted multiple sets and non-joke interview rants to getting upset about people finding things offensive.

Coffee And Pie posted:

That doesn’t surprise me, doesn’t he have a history of predatory poo poo? Fuckin Franco.

James Franco sexually assaulted a mentally ill woman who basically dated him to throw herself on a grenade and protect her fourteen year old friend from being sexually assaulted by him. The dude is pure scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Hey I know you really really hate women and queer people but maybe do some googling before posting glib responses to easily sourced stories about a serial sex monster that preyed on my friends.

Also the whole forcing a woman to perform oral sex on him, he also tried to gently caress at least two of her underaged friends, one of whom I know was fourteen at the time they met.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 5, 2019