Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tarantino is also exactly the kind of person discussed up thread: his fetishes so transparently influence his film-making, but he has created some masterpieces of cinema, so what can you do but accept maybe we’re all kind of pervs.

The fact there aren’t a littany of accusations leveled at him is pretty surprising but extremely welcome, I looooove his movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is an issue as old as celebrity itself. Everyone you love and respect probably hurt someone deeply at some point. Honestly the discourse regarding not separating the author from their work over the last two pages is like the sanest thing I’ve read since #metoo started

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
And also the power of the figurehead is corruptible. Like weren’t the #MeToo silence breakers from time magazine all black women? Who is Rose McGowan to supersede their impact? And so on and so on

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

And even then you don't get to decide whether someone else felt like they were raped

Yeah but feeling like you were raped might not always accompany having been sexually assaulted. What should anyone do in that situation? What if you want to be supportive of the victim and their emotional trauma, what if you truly believe they felt scared and confused and threatened, but you also genuinely believe that what they endured isn’t what they want you to believe it is?

Is there any room in the #TimesUp movement for this line of reasoning? Can someone be an ally and still raise questions, or is blanket acceptance at face value the only path forward for feminism?

I’m not trying to antagonize anyone, I just wonder if the issue will ever move into the extremely nuanced and grey territory most of these situations are going to end up in. We could lose more allies than we gain if the message becomes muddied. We will have a lot more Aziz Ansari’s than Weinsteins and Polanskis.

I’ve read every word on SA and Twitter about Aziz, and I think he made a bunch of extremely gross moves and made this girl feel like poo poo, but acting like her issue is in the same league as Eliza Dushku or Ke$ha or Uma Thurman’s absolute horror stories just fractured the base, drove a bunch of old head feminists to call out babe.net and Grace, and the resultant backlash has been digital infighting and cannibalism.

In the games journalism thread we’ve been talking for pages about how Brianna Wu had an award stripped from the former CEO of Atari because he “promoted a hostile work environment” and a dozen women that worked at Atari in 70’s were like “uh were were free-wheelin’ hippies smoking weed in hot tubs and stuff but Nolan never, ever hurt anyone or made anyone uncomfortable and everything you are saying is completely baseless” and Wu and her followers response was “you have dated views of feminism and it was all actually extremely problematic” as though these women are all brainwashed victims of the Atari rape Illuminati.

Again, Nolan has never been accused of anything, Wu fabricated every claim against him, and now her team are defending her completely baseless accusations on the basis that all victims should be believed against the VERY WOMEN they were attempting to speak on behalf of.

I don’t know where any of this is headed, but I agree with Dave Chappelle (most of his last Netflix special is about this), the monsters are very scared and when this dies down in a little while it will get worse before it gets better.

Edit: E:FB, Al Borland making GBS threads in my cornflakes all day

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We raised it because every single thread about this movement denies that any woman anywhere would lie about this kind of thing and completely discounts the impact this has and here’s a very current example with a prominent mouthpiece.

And the damage were highlighting is not the damage to Nolan’s career, which is negligible, but the damage to the movement itself, because it highlights exactly why we all need clearer language and stronger definitions and a better venue for justice, because otherwise it just leads to internal quibbling instead of progress.

We all want less rape, I promise, and keep that in mind when you look down at someone for having a different take on this incredibly complicated and nuanced issue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok here’s a little story from my life:

My brother was a gangbanger in Boston in the 90’s. When he was like 18-19 a woman on his block called 911 and reported that he had raped her a day ago. They knew him from his litany of arrests and scooped him up and basically after of few days of begging and pleading and screaming because there was a complete lack of evidence the detectives involved looked into it and discovered:

This woman was totally schizophrenic, diagnosed multiple times according to her medical history

She had stopped taking her medication a number of years ago

They actually had several 9-1-1 calls from this woman over 5 years claiming her father, husband and brother (dead for 3 years at the time of the call) had raped her.

My brother was free to go, but there are still counties in Boston that have rape charges on his file because their half-online//half-offline system is completely borked, and our family was responsible for all the legal fees.

So this thing that dramatically impacted my family for years is a real world example of someone believing they were sexually assaulted when in fact they were not. I honestly don’t give a poo poo if you believe me, and I can’t wait for someone to twist this around into me saying all victims are crazy or liars (I’m not), I’m just saying it’s possible and it happens and treating me like a rape sympathizer because of my experience and the way it informs my view is unnecessarily antagonistic, even if you don’t like it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/962348831789797381

In light of everything I’ve ever said on the subject, I’m going to seriously rethink my approach to these issues and conversations, because if I’m echoing something this man is saying, I have got to be wrong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also the tits he’s referring are like 20 years old and she looks a hell of a lot closer to the more recent version than Angelina Jolie looked like a pile of angry polygons. And Angelina Jolie’s hooters weren’t even good enough and were digitally enhanced for that travesty.

He’s not just mad about vidja tiddies, he’s mad about old vidja tiddies

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Reminder, if you can’t appreciate great things accomplished by lovely people:

John Lennon beat his kids
MLK Jr. abused his wife
Ghandi was almost certainly a pedophile

The point is not to forgive these people for their crimes, the point is that these people made amazing things happen in our world while also being deeply flawed and human.

Ignoring the brilliant works of Terry Gilliam from 30 years ago because of his bad opinions today doesn’t hurt him at all, just like how not listening to a Beatles record today doesn’t hurt John Lennon at all, it just deprives you of his music.

That said, you can’t separate the art from the artist because it’s their views and personality that shape their art and inform it, so in all likelihood we have their work not in spite of, but because of the way their terrible attitudes shaped their own worldview into something people could resonate with and appreciate.

But no, go ahead, you’re really showing Terry Gilliam who is boss by not watching 12 Monkeys (while posting about it on a computer made with precious metals mined by orphans from Africa). If you want to displace your ethics that badly, well, you can start by moving into the woods and finding a cave to sleep in. Taking your stand against Hollywood and all its injustices against rich Hollywood actors feels great and is way easier to than confronting identical issues of exploitation that might affect you personally, like your clothes and personal electronics all being made by child slaves in sweatshops.

Brazil sucks though, that’s no big loss, but Fear & Loathing owns bones and basically everyone from that movie is a confirmed wife-beating scumbag or generally gross person, it’s still probably my most watched film of all time by a truly hilarious margin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

Allowing that this may be addressed in the latter half of htis post that i shall not read because I find ur avatar extremely unpleasant my advice for u is
- cite ur sources - there's no reason 2 use "abused" in place of "cheated on" - nobody cares about John Lennon - clean up ur act!!

Yeah cheating on your wife isn’t abusing them you’re right (rolls eyes so hard they pop out so skull)... lol amazing and actually if you read this thread then yes someone did say they were not going to watch his films.

Really the mental gymnastics of “MLK cheating on his wife isn’t abuse but your avatar upsets me!” is like insanely impressive, do you live in a soap bubble or a glass house? “I can’t even finish reading your post me before I must dive in to defend Misogyny because your racist avatar offends me”

Also more people care about John Lennon that Terry Gilliam.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 19, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Eye shud use cleerur langwaje ok bud

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

teacup posted:

Can we stop this random assuming that just because someone looks nice or mean or their persona was such that we just attach this poo poo into them? Same goes for people going “ohhh if “nice guy actor” is a rapist I’ll be so annoyed!!”

Like if he groped someone (not saying he did) he groped someone and that’s not ok

Yeah context is completely meaningless, you’re totally right

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wait are you really suggesting that our response to a woman saying “Robin Williams suggestively touched me and I didn’t mind at all” is to tar and feather his memory and erase him from Aladdin?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If 2018 has taught me anything, it’s that utterly destroying someone’s reputation based on as little information as possible is arguably more important than ignoring anyone’s claims, however sedate and meaningless they might appear to be.

“Once at Christmas party I bumped into George Clooney and wouldn’t you know it, we were under the mistletoe and he smooched me!”

“Actually ma’am George Clooney mouth raped you.”

“But I love George Clooney and he’s so sweet and charm-“

“Raped your mouth, miss, with his mouth.”

-this thread

(No one bring up the Katy Perry mouth rape scene from American Idol, where she tricks an incel into making out with her and then he came out as like “that was really gross”)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always knew the Amanda Bynes but Dan Schneider’s tenure actually perfectly aligns with what I had always perceived as Nickelodeon’s “decade of sexy teens” and now that I have this info I’m gonna.. continue to not watch shows for pedophiles that hypersexualize children.

The JLSpears this is insane and also kind of lines of with Britney melting down so maybe becoming so famous that you accidentally got your sister raped by her producer is what actually drove her completely insane.

Jesus Hollywood is a wet dumpster fire

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As someone who completely missed gamergate because I had a real life and wasn’t extremely online back then, what is Pro-gg content on the Escapist? Also Jim Sterling left the escapist so he could make more money doing his own thing, and I don’t know how anyone could construe him as a SJW based on the way he talks and oh yeah also dresses like a loving Nazi

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess I’m just saying that if Yahtzee’s greatest crime was, uh, being friends with a pathetic ant-covered loser and not quitting his BANANAS cushy job where he gets paid to make fun of video games he plays and has enough time to write his books then I dont really see what the problem is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It actually is women’s fault that they won’t have sex with me, I wrote from my parent’s basement alone, encrusted in weeks of filth and refuse

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 26, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Well now that I’ve had 4 months of solemn contemplation on my prison-yacht circling Bermuda, I’ve realized I was actually a pretty ok guy who made some bad choices and women really should be respected!” -Charlie “Rape Locks” Rose & friends
“Breathtaking.” -71% of Americans

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I vaguely recall one guy who seems to have been abused by nearly everybody in Hollywood said the only people he could trust are Steven Spielberg and Michael Jackson. (oddly enough. I've mentioned that in retrospect, the latter seems maybe almost too obvious compared to the pattern we've seen of how easily the rich and famous can sexually abuse and get away with it, though that's a can of worms best not opened and no one has any proof)

Actually in the late 2000's a documentary with interviews of almost all of his alleged victims came out and basically he definitely didn't do it and he was set up because while not a pedophile he was a desperately broken person and probably more than half insane so it was easy AF to make it work and he was so super rich and scared that he would frequently settle out of court immediately because whats 250K to Michael Jackson if people stop saying he touches little boys?

LOL

Harvey Weinstein: Serial Rapist
Bill Cosby: Serial Rapist
Roman Polanski: Serial Rapist
"I let my neighbor Judy watch Godfather 2 a month early because she watered my garden while I was shooting it"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look I’m just gonna ask a gross question:

Would you inherently know it was wrong to try and date a teenager as a 20-something adult if it weren’t very explicitly against the law? Have you ever stopped before hooking up with someone in the middle of it to check their age? (I have, it’s always the worst conversation lol)

Like obviously mentally and emotionally it’s a world of different difference but you don’t notice someone’s personality bounce gently when they walk so that’s not really helpful.

Raiders takes place in 1936 so they dated in the, um, 20’s when the age of consent (according to Wikipedia) was between 10-14 in most states and as low as 7 in Delaware (?????)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I promise I’m not gonna bait anyone into a pedo/ephebophile thing, im 30 and don’t want anyone younger than 24-25 because I like talking to people, but if you’ve never been hitting on someone at a party/bar/club and suddenly realized “oh poo poo you’re drinking like a 19 year old BECAUSE you’re 19, yikes” then maybe get out more I guess?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s even stupider to presume someone is arguing in favor of something that they aren’t, but I understand that reading is hard in 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What's crazier to me than people who haven't been outed is the people who HAVE been REPEATEDLY outed and no one gives a gently caress.

Like I know people like to talk about Chris Rock as like, one of the only people who stood up to Roman Polanski, but then i listened to a long interview between Chris Rock & Marc Maron, and Rock spends like 10 minutes talking about having dinner with Woody Allen and his wife like Woody Allen is the funniest most comedic genius of all time...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

God drat it.

This dude seemed like he was actually on track to hold Weinstein accountable, and get proper reparations for his victims. Turns out he's just another scumbag abuser. My heart goes out to the women who had hung their hopes on him delivering justice on their behalf.

What’s crazy is that he actually was championing these women and doing whatever he could for someone else’s victims while obviously downplaying his own.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I wonder if he would have been villified more if Rihanna had jumped ship right away.

Either way it's mental. Especially when he got that fuckin tattoo!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2201616/Chris-Brown-reveals-new-tattoo-beaten-woman--denies-ex-Rihanna.html

linked for :nms: but yeah how do you beat a woman so badly and then get her loving bruised and beaten face tatted on your neck and then continue to talk to people in anything close to a professional context and get taken seriously?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but isn’t there a difference between sending some kid a winking emoji ca getting them to send you dick pix?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If the first time a person sees your dick is their phone, then you will probably never have to show it to them in real life.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have only ever sent solicited dick pix upon request by girlfriends while I away on business, the idea of sending someone a cold dick pick with no wind up seems... uh is insane the word I want here? Like loving totally crazy?

Like maybe barely one or two small steps from just whipping your dick out in the middle of a conversation?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jean Reno is a loving treasure

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh geez, The Professional is so good and I didn't know how much we owed Jean Reno for taking a perverse mess and making it something so much better.

But enough about Onimusha 3

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GrandpaPants posted:

The Simpsons and Futurama still seem safe from shittiness? I mean, along these dimensions I guess. It's Always Sunny also seems pretty low key, which is kinda weird considering the material.

Add Parks and Rec to the RIP list, too, although I guess that started by hiring Rob Lowe. The Office is half-tainted since one of their biggest moments (Jim and Pam's wedding) uses a Chris Brown song very prominently. I believe this was even after the Rihanna stuff.

My dude I have some bad news for you if your life is just crossing off media from a big list under the heading "SOMEONE WAS TERRIBLE" like go ahead and start with all music ever recorded and then just go from there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I let out a long and loud “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” at work about this and my boss just had to run and come see what was wrong, and she’s super bummed now because Shawshank is her number one all time favorite movie

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought it was his step-niece? And it was more of a tabloid accusation that he refused to respond to. Still really disgusting but not incest disgusting.

Her killer//ex-boyfriend told the police in his statement he was partially motivated by her confessing her and Morgan's sexual relationship to him

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gotta say, “people suffering from mental illness can’t consent to the sex they want/crave” is perhaps the single hottest take I’ve read in this thread and as a someone whose mental health is both a big part of my life and the lives of my partners please go gently caress yourself until parts start to fall off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We should just rename this thread “How long until everything is terrible?”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having never heard of this guy before 3 days ago Chris Hardwick sounds like a loving garbage person and a terrible boyfriend but Chloe’s medium article is itself a series of red flags, and I really am having difficulty putting myself in the shoes of someone who willingly submits to a litany of loving insane rules about etiquette in the first two weeks of a relationship.

I understand that within context it doesn’t seem as extreme and obviously he probably held a lot of power and influence over her but like... I dunno I’ve never been in a relationship where someone told me what I could and could not do outside of normal dating stuff. “Please don’t gently caress other people without talking to me about it” is one thing but “you aren’t allowed to hang out with other men outside of work and you can’t drink” within a week or two just seems like... I dunno, where is your mother? Did none of her friends try to tell her “this isn’t normal, you really shouldn’t let him be running your life” as she began to disappear from their lives?

Also the last paragraph//PS is literally a “COME AT ME BRO” and it really struck me and my partner as weirdly antagonistic for something designed to get closure.

I’m HAPPY she got closure, I’m HAPPY that he will likely be prevented from hurting other people in this manipulative, controlling way, but this timeline seems kind of extreme and some of these scenes (when she gets her abortion and he asks about when he can gently caress her) just really stick in my mind like “how the gently caress did your mother not just loving throat punch this guy right then an there?”.

I guess I have absolutely no idea what kind of power of influence this guy had so I really don’t know what being around him is like, but this certainly has some shades of grey going on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s 4 days old and Maynard’s response yesterday was

https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1012425461845016576?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“The account is new” is like maybe the worst reason to discredit something on social media of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or you just wing it and eventually once at a party ten years later someone goes “No u idiot it’s ‘up all night to GET lucky’ not ‘Mexican lucky’, what the gently caress!”