Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Radcliffe once wore the same outfit for an entire year specifically to gently caress with the paparazzi. I know a lot of people worried about the Potter fame and wealth going to his head or screwing him up (understandably), but he seems like a well adjusted guy with a delightful sense of humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yaws posted:

Eh, I've heard he's an rear end in a top hat to regular folk.

But I hear that about a lot of celebrities.

That also might be as simple as "He didn't want to sign my 6 pieces of HP merch at 5 in the morning at an airport".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently people still mail Emma Watson bibles, concerned about her soul, which I don't understand the significance of fully (I've only seen one HP movie and I fell asleep)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

porfiria posted:

I really miss the Born Again smoothbrains of the Reagan/Bush/Bush era, their attempts to engage and critique the broader culture were hilarious. Their modern cultural counterparts are way more boring and scary.

I watched a "Rock music is satan" doc called Hell's Bells from the 80's, it was amazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.attn.com/stories/7701/red-hot-chili-peppers-sexual-harassment-allegations

Not exactly surprising, but still

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

davidspackage posted:

What I'd like, is, I'd like to hug and kiss you.

Not enough gibberish or references to California, 5.5/10

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I also think a lot of the 2Pac stuff is really less about celebrating what a good person he was and more about exploring what a complicated and conflicted person he was and thinking it was kind of tragic that he died so young before he had a chance to find some inner peace and become a better person. Also that he seemed to almost be welcoming the peace of death.

I don't know. I find Tupac Shakur's life and death interesting and tragic but I don't think he was a good person who made good life choices.

Although there certainly are people who just think he's a "saint" because there's lots of crazy poo poo around 2Pac.

There are some folks who will lose their minds when confronted with the idea that an entertainer they like wasn't a good person, and I find if that entertainer died young, it gets especially bad. When the firestorm of recent sexual assault charges in Hollywood first got started I mentioned to a friend that there was some stuff like this in the 90's, too, and I mentioned 2Pac by name because a lot of folks seem to have forgotten that he was accused and convicted (which is odd since he mentions it in his songs periodically), and a co-worker who'd overheard it loving exploded on me over it, asking how I could say such things, etc. I asked him, what do you think he went to jail for? He didn't have an answer, just kept saying something about who it wasn't cool for me to say.

Same guy almost cried because I politely disagreed with his assessment that The Sopranos is the best TV show of all time. It should be noted that I think it's really drat good show, but it stumbles here and there.

I don't even want to think about what would happen in front of someone who believes Cobain was a saint, and I say that as someone who loves Nirvana.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 2, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Len posted:

They would explode into a fantastic rage just like when you say he killed himself

I feel like the murder conspiracy folks are almost their own section of crazy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Knowing very little about the rap/hip hop scene other than cultural osmosis, it seems like you're considered a little behind on your cred if you HAVEN'T been in prison at some point, or at least gotten shot, addicted to drugs or having dealt them.I mean, the whole thing kinda is built on making confrontational and boundary-breaking art out of their shared terrible experiences with poverty, racism and crime.

In his case I feel like most people tend to focus on his other run-in with the law, where he happened upon two cops brutalizing a black guy and shot them

That is definitely consistent with the "noble outlaw" image he projected, whereas getting popped for sexual assault is not. But I don't know much about the case in question; however, I tend to go with "Believe the victim" generally, so it's not a good look for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also said during one of the specials that after he was done them, it was "time to make America wait again".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yahtzee is like one of the last of an endangered species at this point.

Soon we'll find out that he did a poo poo on a swan or something and it'll be curtains for him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

gently caress swans.

That would get him in trouble too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

He is a Gamergater who hangs out with Ian Miles Cheong a lot, sooooo

Well that was fast

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/aboynamedandy/s...erview-video%2F

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wendell posted:

The character's name is apparently Weasel and none of you are suggesting Pauly Shore?

Imagine that, nobody gave Pauly Shore any thought. Guess it's habit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm not surprised that the dude who played a DJ on GTA: San Andreas just so he could be "politically incorrect" would feel this way.

(Seriously, why the gently caress was he THERE? What was the meeting at Rockstar that led to them deciding "Let's put KARL LAGERFELD in our game" like?)

I'm half expecting Christopher Plummer to get hit with a sexual assault allegation at this point because chaos timeline.

The GTA DJ choices are in general are all over the place, because they also had Keith Morris as the Punk station DJ, and I consider Keith to be one of the coolest dudes ever

Electric Bugaloo posted:

soooo apparently the Toronto van terrorist was a member of the “Incel Rebellion”

coolcool

Seeing a lot of calls to start paying more attention to these guys, hopefully it happens. The r/incel thread was fascinating in a terrifying way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/emrazz/status/989761714794082304

As you might expect the replies are a shitshow

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Say goodbye to Akon

https://www.stereogum.com/1995322/akon-says-bill-cosby-may-be-innocent/news/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.stereogum.com/1995534/chris-brown-accused-in-new-lawsuit-of-hosting-sex-party-where-woman-was-raped-multiple-times/news/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Conor Oberst a few years ago is the only one coming to mind.

Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

As a man I have been conditioned and taught to think that a winking emoji is in fact an express request for a dick pic.

I often have wondered why men send dick pics unsolicited, I have never once heard of it working.

"Well, the conversation was a bit of bore, then he showed me his hog and now we're scheduled to be married in July".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 17, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That’s sounds pretty solicited.

Yeah the key part is unsolicited

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

One of the most uncomfortable moments in my life was years ago while working day shift in a bar. The Professional was on FX and one of the patrons lets out this noise and says "MAN, Natalie Portman is soooooooooooooooo hot." Pretty much every other person in the bar fell silent and stared at him and a full minute passed before his face turned red and he stammered "I MEAN SHE IS NOW." I don't recall seeing him much after that.

hahaha you have a gift for working jobs that attract dickheads, my man

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you go back to the start of his thread I posted a snippet of an article where Maureen O' Hara makes it abundantly clear she don't play that poo poo. Which is hella commendable, but it's hosed up to think that she was able to do that in part because of her friendship with John Wayne (A lot of people assume they were married because of their crazy chemistry, they weren't), because the studios didn't dare piss him off.

That said, I don't want to take too much away from her own ability to stand up for herself, because a) By all accounts she was fiery as hell and didn't tolerate bullshit lightly and b) She was a huge draw on her own, which probably influenced decision making on the part of the studios.

Here's the quote from the article

quote:

She believed that her squeaky-clean lifestyle took its toll on her career.[93] She once said, "I'm a helpless victim of a Hollywood whispering campaign. Because I don't let the producer and director kiss me every morning or let them paw me they have spread around town that I am not a woman, that I am a cold piece of marble statuary" and "I wouldn't throw myself on the casting couch, and I know that cost me parts. I wasn't going to play the whore. That wasn't me".[228][229] She vented her frustration on not being given edgier roles in an interview with The Los Angeles Times, saying "Producers look at a pretty face and think: 'She must have got this far on her looks'. Then comes along a girl with a plain face and they think, 'She must be a great actress, she isn't pretty'. So they give her the glamour treatment and the pretty girl gets left behind".

drat. Just layin' all the cards on the table, right there.

There's also this quote, which is certainly somehting

quote:

"There's only one woman who has been my friend over the years, and by that I mean a real friend, like a man would be. That woman is Maureen O'Hara. She's big, lusty, absolutely marvelous—definitely my kind of woman. She's a great guy. I've had many friends, and I prefer the company of men. Except for Maureen O'Hara".
—John Wayne on O'Hara

She also ruled in Only the Lonely, which is actually the only movie with her in it I've seen that didn't have Wayne in it (my Dad was a big John Wayne fan, I like only 3 Wayne movies, really: The Searchers, McLintock!, and The Quiet Man).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 21, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sigh.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-23metoo-accused-who-are-already-making-their-comebacks/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't the expression "In like Flynn" derived from Errol Flynn getting acquitted from rape charges?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

Harassed the poo poo out of a young Charlyne Li with "ching chong" language, then when she released her story, he suggested that she was mis-remembering what really happened, finishing it with a #Rashomon hashtag.

gently caress him.

It got really interesting though, when his wife (Amber Tamblyn) got on twitter and said she believed Charlene.

I imagine poo poo was cold for a while in their household.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, at least with Harmon you get the impression that he's ultra damaged and he was adult enough to own what he did. Cross was a defiant prick about it. I was so disappointed, Cross's standup albums are amongst my favorite ever. And I love Mr.Show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Cross...

https://www.avclub.com/i-didn-t-do-myself-any-favors-david-cross-talks-raci-1826079181

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Judakel posted:

A million Louis CKs all in a circle.

Interesting choice

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also the "don't pay taxes" thing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the Oakland case, the officers accused an charged were referring each other to an underage sex worker. That is a literal definition of a trafficking ring and it's a much more depressing and common scenario than whatever ethical fantasy you could dream up, much more often cops are doing poo poo like lying to cover each other's asses, doing "random stops" to get their numbers up, planting drugs and guns, abusing people in custody.

I was absolutely amazed when I actually did reading on sexual assault in the prison system and learned that less than 5 percent of the cases cited are sexual assaults by other inmates. Even if that phenomenon is massively underreported (and it likely is) the disproportionate focus away from institutional abuse is alarming.

Wasn't she like, 14?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well, never watching or listening to anything with Chris ever again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Certainly they get credit for acting quickly.

I wonder how many of Chris Hardwick's peers knew about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
On a lighter note

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/new-co-worker-wont-shut-the-gently caress-up-about-the-walking-dead/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Makes the fact that one of Tool's most well known videos/songs is about sexual abuse resonate in a new way, a really loving unpleasant one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

sadly the abused often become the abusers

I'm reminded of the Karpman triangle, my dad (in ambulant psychiatry) told me that more often the "victim", if they exit that role at all, will tend toward the "abuser" rather than the "rescuer" in future relationships. its hosed up.

no excuse though

Oh I'm definitely not trying to excuse his behaviour. But if you're a Tool fan and that song helped you cope or something (which is a thing lots of music fans do) because it made you feel less alone, you quite possibly have a real sour taste in your mouth right now.

I'm sure a lot of Tool fans are just straight up in denial, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

actually wow i guess there are some uh indicators in the song (Tool - Prison Sex) that i didnt think about before (always read it as specific revenge, and not generalized continuance)

The video is also basically Sexual Abuse: the movie. It's done in the same style as the video for Sober visually, and it's about as subtle as a brick in the face

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He is however rich and famous, and that disconnect still exists with those folks (sometimes, some of 'em get lucky and are Terry Crews)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Colbert's statement on this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKa5u6mX05o

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 4, 2018