Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

Le Monde put up that statement signed by 100 women from across entertainment, legal, and academic circles in France, and the translated portions read like flat out misrepresentations of #MeToo (and it's corresponding French equivalent) and what's grown out of the Weinstein scandal.

There's no shortage of more conservative older women who will go to bat for how all of this is overplayed or even made up. I think the worst incident of this I experienced myself was when a 96-year old woman in my organization out of nowhere starting talking about how she used to be quite the looker when she was younger and men didn't do anything wrong to her. Thusly, Metoo is completely overblown and sexual harassment doesn't happen. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

What? Seriously...what?

Neither the European Convention on Human Rights or the EU itself (for which becoming a member of signing the convention is mandatory) fucks around when it comes to the death penalty, there are no exceptions.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Holding up France's actions as any kind of moral stand is bollocks, because it's not like they've prosecuted him themselves, or limited him in any way. They just protect their own, like a lot of governments do.

I'm starting to think you Americans don't get how rule of law is supposed to work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know whether to be more horrified about the fact that he could have hedged his bets by having her have an 'accident' at any time or that she as a 12-year old was aware of this fact and yet could do nothing about it. :stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

I was thinking about this. We've all been in a situation where we've misread cues and really that's alright, no one is infallible. I think everyone here might have leaned in for an unwanted kiss at one time or been on the receiving end of one. I know I have and in both situations, you feel kind of bad for it. But if you go to kiss someone and you feel instantly that they're not into it, it doesn't mean that you say Yo hold up, let me get another couple in there until you like it.

Ramming your fingers down someone's throat after they're repeatedly telling you they're really not into it is disgraceful. Something in the heat of the moment can be forgiven I think, but he had plenty of time to calm down and come to his senses and he still won't let it go.

This is the thing the 'you can't even flirt anymore' crowd will never get. Mistaking social cues happens, it's awkward and we've all probably been there at some point or another. What is important is not that it happened, it is what you choose to do next. If your response is to double down and keep trying without relenting even when the person in question explicitly tells you to stop we're now well into sexual harassment/sexual assault territory and this is no longer simply about a misunderstanding.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

jet sanchEz posted:

Which prison thread?

Yeah I was about to say the same, didn't the last one die ages ago?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

Those aren't mutually exclusive. Weinstein was quite literally a serial rapist that used his connections to get hollywood bigwigs to threaten actresses into silence (didn't he also threaten to kill some actress?). Aziz Ansari had a bad date. Do you actually think it's hypocritical to condemn one and excuse the other?

Someone else doing more wrong does not make the other wrong any less wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

He badgered her into doing stuff she didn't want to do despite her refusing him several times. This is not tip-toeing the line, he clearly crossed it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Edited;

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 16, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

i am the bird posted:

I think the key takeaway from all of this, though, is that Aziz is just the current face of this particular discussion; the overwhelming reaction is less about him specifically and more about the troubling fact that a lot of people think this unhealthy interaction is normal.

For those who suffered through discourse theory in polsci or whatever, the Aziz case is a textbook example of a hegemonic discourse being challenged by an antagonism. For a lot of people accepting that Aziz was acting rapey means re-defining what they even consider sexual assault. Accepting that Aziz was in the wrong means accepting all a lot more than just that which is extremely uncomfortable. That's the reason this is facing such fierce opposition.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

21 Muns posted:

Yeah, just as I figured, she was being entirely reasonable and just not tiptoeing around the issue. Shame on all the people who came in this thread and said poo poo like "ACK SHE DISCREDITED HERSELF AND THE STORY BY USING THESE HORRIBLE VULGAR INSULTS".

Considering the incredibly condescending tone of the original open letter by Banfield I almost feel it's a tempered response. It really cannot be understated how disgusting it is that 50-year old women in a position of power in media is using that power to bad-mouth and gaslight someone she knows barely anything about on national television. All the while telling her to toughen up because 'oh shucks we went through this in our days too' which somehow makes it ok apparently. Banfield is the exact loving example of why 'Grace' and anyone in her situation might hesitate at making public accusations at men. The US is incredibly behind to this day on its views on sexual assault and while men are a key problem in this women like Banfield sure as hell aren't making things better. None of you would have ever accepted Banfields statement if it came from a man (which it for reference already has, her argument is almost word-for.word the same as MRA-shithead Ben Shapiro's take for fucks sake) but because it came from a women you suddenly feel comfortable agreeing with it.

I'll leave the original Banfield statement here for everyone who doesn't remember it for the unprofessional talking head hot-takes bullshit it is. Please remember while re-watching it that Aziz has as of yet suffered no real consequences of any kind beyond being outed for acting like a creep which he has not contested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4bAULTwAJU

EDIT: Especially read the comments, please enjoy in all its glory what sentiment Banfield is feeding.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 18, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

As far as I can tell Ansari didn't really dispute much of "Grace's" story so I don't see any real reason to doubt her.

He didn't dispute any of it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god the more I google on Dan Schneider the worse it gets :barf:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

When people argue that rape culture is not a real thing I just point towards one of the millions of cases where complete strangers will eagerly and vehemently defend accused rapists despite they themselves having virtually no skin in the game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Repeated and admitted in his own words, in fact.

As someone who's been falsely accused by himself the President knows all to well the errant consequences from being too honest on tape speaking harsh truths and losing your career and connections becoming the president of the United States.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

World famous for successfully discouraging sex with children.

:thurman:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

School uniforms are stupid and are a solution to absolutely nothing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

I'd argue they're good for cutting down on the kind of bullshit bullying kids of lesser means get for not having nice/designer clothes tbf

That happens anyway, it just takes different forms. Countries with school uniforms aren't exactly famous for being exceptions in bullying data.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's also the fact that he's literally dead already which means there's really no urgency at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is loving insane that chris brown recovered.

Yeah, with tracks like Loyal no less. Completely shameless and unapologetic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:drat:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If we do a charitable reading what I think he was clumsily trying to express is the old adage that it's very difficult to date as a celebrity. Still really bad and weird. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:ironicat:

Like, what can you even say to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think there's any doubt that R. Kelly is as broken rear end an adult as they come, doesn't excuse anything he has done of course.