Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So having recently, finally, gotten out of college with a BA in History for the sake of my sanity I have a problem. On the one hand, History was great for keeping me mentally engaged and avoiding the depressive self loathing sensations associated with prior degree paths I didn't give a ghost of a gently caress about. On the other hand, I have no real idea how to put this degree to work! What kind of options are available to me? I'm currently in Chattanooga, Tennessee if that's at all helpful. I'd like to avoid spending any additional time in a college if possible, as right now my number one priority is achieving some kind of financial independence for myself, but I'm not entirely opposed out of hand. Right now, the only vague idea I have is trying to go through a certification program for Paralegal Studies so I can go to work for an attorney, as I'm told that's a reasonably common path for History majors. Any advice or ideas from people with experience is appreciated. :eng101:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
You have a degree. You've shown that you can commit to a thing for 4 years.

The only other thing an employer will care about, generally, is whether you can quickly demonstrate practical skills that are relevant to their specific job offer. These skills don't need to be related to your degree in any way.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Yeah at this point you try hard to leverage your network of contacts/ friends / family for any white collar job that's hiring. You likely don't even need a certification to work as a paralegal. There's a lot of administrative/secretary-ish work that doesn't require specialized training. The main difficulty is actually figuring out what to search for.

Here are some random jobs my friends have gotten with no more than a fairly generic liberal arts education:
Lab manager for a university lab
Paralegal
Programmer (this dude literally had a philosophy degree, applied to a programming job, said "look, I know my diploma says philosophy but I can code", and they hired him. I myself did something very similar for a coding job. But you do have to be able to code.)
Procurement
Human resources
Secretary
Public relations for a solar company
Call center stuff (I was told this was terrible though)

I'd say start looking for jobs before any more training. The jobs will let you know what you need to have.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What job experience and/or skills do you have that could figure on your resume? You'll need a foothold somewhere

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I assume your writing skills are fairly well developed, I would suggest looking into procurement or proposals.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thesaurus posted:

What job experience and/or skills do you have that could figure on your resume? You'll need a foothold somewhere

Basically nothing but retail/customer service work while I was making my way through the degree I'm afraid.

remigious posted:

I assume your writing skills are fairly well developed, I would suggest looking into procurement or proposals.

The writing aspect of history was something I excelled at so, I'll have to give that a look as well.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Throw it in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Write for a smaller newspaper.

I have a history degree. I added journalism, but the journalism part can be learned. A basic grasp of history and critically evaluating sources have actually helped a lot. The last two reporters we hired did not have journalism degrees, so it's possible to do it.

Pay is poo poo. Hours are poo poo, but you occasionally stumble into events where they feed you.

• Locked thread