Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm afraid you died.

Yes it's terribly sad. Cut down so quickly by that traffic accident with the truck.

But then you found yourself facing a cheerful, friendly deity who told you it wasn't judgment or oblivion time for you just yet. No, they had other plans for you.

Turns out there's another world out there, a world of fantasy just like the kind you'd see in video games here on Earth. So much 'just like' that it even comes complete with things like numeric stat values, experience points and levels. The kind of place where angsty heroes get summoned to take down evil demon lords and rescue busty princesses.

That, however, is not why you are going there, the kindly deity explained. You're going there to make things better. You see, in this fantasy world there are three races: the humans, who hold most of the power over society and like it that way, the beasts, half-human half-monster folk who are terribly nice but tend to get walked all over for it, and the monsters, who are strange folk with needs and hungers that often put them at odds with the other races. They all live together in the magical kingdom of Fandavale, but only just. It seems like a single spark would be enough to blow the fragile balance of peace apart.

Thus, you.

The deity blesses you with a special power; objectivity. Though you were just a mundane existence on Earth, in Fandavale you are gifted with the ability to shift yourself between three forms that match with the three races of the kingdom. This allows you to see problems between the races from each side's perspective. It is up to you to work within all three groups to patch up rifts and break down walls.

Not alone, of course! Soon after your arrival in Fandavale you are sent for by Princess Margarita, youngest princess of the human royalty, who seems to know much about your situation. She dubs you the Embracer's Guild; charged with solving the problems of a fantasy kingdom not with sword and spell but with impartial investigation, effective communication, empathy and, yes, hugs.

Until all of Fandavale is wrapped in the golden sunlight of friendship that knows no borders.

System: Golden Sky Stories (Available here: http://starlinepublishing.com/our-games/golden-sky-stories/ )

Players: 3-5

Format: PbP, no strict posting deadline

Character Rules: Any species from any of the books available in English. I'm also allowing custom species as long as you can create fairly balanced abilities/weaknesses for them.
The Dog Weakness Collar and Fox Extra Ability Shrine are off limits since they don't mesh well with the set-up.
You'll notice I never mentioned specifically that your character was a human back on Earth, so feel free to take that and run with it...

Applications: Include all information from the character sheet aside from connections, which will be decided once we have the party together. If you're making a custom species, please include descriptions and costs of all abilities/weaknesses. Also include your character's appearance in all 3 forms and background.

Special Notes for Backgrounds: Your character will have gone through a major transition from Earth to Fandavale. They may be a completely different age, species, gender etc. The gap between who they were on Earth and what they become on Fandavale can be a very central point to your character concept. Also, just due to the set-up for the game, your character should be able to embrace the concept of 'healing the world through kindness'. Maybe they really are just the empathetic sort, or maybe they were jaded back on Earth but something is slowly starting to change their attitude. Maybe they're tsundere.
Lampshading of normal Otherworld fiction staples is heartily encouraged.
Also note that your character will have been in Fandavale for a bit before being summoned by Margarita. Feel free to make their first impressions and early life in the new world part of the background. Finally, since this IS a 'video game-esque fantasy world' setting, please feel free to give your character made up levels/skills/stats/classes for flavor. I may or may not make a running gag out of meaningless game systems your characters will be largely ignoring.

Oh also I recommend your character's human/half-human form be either a child or a young teen just because it'll make things easier. Folks are less forgiving of adults who stick their noses in other people's business and show up where they really shouldn't be.

Also also this is really the final note: you didn't all die in the same truck accident, but it does have to be a truck accident.

Why? Because it's always a truck accident, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
I've had some good goes with GSS, and I'm fond of jrpg-type things. How could I not take advantage of this opportunity? There will probably be a fox or a cat here at some point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gonna make a sheet tomorrow when I'm not so tired from gym. Gonna make a Friend who's good at adventuring!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'll have a thing when I decide on a thing. There are a lot of things!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Interested!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Esra, the Winter Wolf

Human Form: "This is me smiling! Why are you backing away?"

Beast Form: "Yes, I own other outfits. But I like training my body. I have to be strong to protect people"

Monster Form: "No, I don't eat people."

Who was I, in the other world?

I didn't have a name. I was just a dog, a little dog that lived on the streets. I didn't have a place to be, I didn't have a family. I was weak. I was always hungry. Sometimes, though, people would feed me. Sometimes other dogs would help me. Sometimes I could make it on my own a little. It was a rough life.

It ended quickly. I - I don't remember it. There were lights on the street, and then...

Then I was here. The god told me I was needed, that because I understood what it was to have no home, to be no one, to not even have a name...

He gave me a name. I am proud of it! Here, I am not alone. Here, I have a place. I am the guardian, the protector. I am Esra! I am the Winter Wolf! I am no stray here, but I protect strays. I have become everything I was not. I am powerful, I am strong, I am proud. I have a family - everyone. They are mine to protect. Fandavale can be scary sometimes. I can be scary. But that's all right. I'm...I'm okay with that. People can be scared sometimes. Better they should be scared of me, because I won't hurt them. I will never lie to them, never harm them.

Even if they don't love me, I will love them and keep them safe, and that's what matters. Humans, beasts, monsters...it doesn't matter. The lands outside the towns belong to me, and I will protect all of them.

quote:

True Form: Wolf

Henge 3
Animal 3
Adult 1
Child 1

Powers:
Territory (0): You have a certain territory where you're stronger than normal. As long as you're in it, halve the Wonder cost of other powers, rounding up. (Esra's territory would presumably be the wilderness outside the Town; it's unclear how large it can be, given the Town is a kingdom.)
Guardian (6): You can watch over someone. Once per scene, you can use this, and it lasts for the scene. Pick a target, which can be yourself. You can detect if someone is secretly watching or following them, regardless of any powers or checks, and if there's a power in use, you can tell what kind.
Hide (6): You can completely hide yourself as long as there's even a tiny bit of brush or grass, though it must be reasonably thick (though not bigger than you). Others must make a Henge check of (your Henge+3) to spot you, though local gods can easily spot you in their territory.
Substitution (8): When someone appears to be in danger, you can take their place. If you use this, you can enter a scene even if you weren't there to put yourself in the line of fire. You may get hurt as normal.
Wolf Howl (20): Once per story, you can unleash a resounding howl. Everyone in town, even henge or mononoke, is subject to Surprise, based on your Animal, +1 in evening and +2 at night. No one will faint, however. Humans will generally avoid the area you use the power in. If this causes too much trouble, it may lower your connection to the Town.
Call of the Wild (30): You call out to all canine-type critters with a howl, audible to all dogs, foxes, raccoon dogs, wolves and henge of those types. They gather at the source unless they have a compelling reason not to. If you have a reasonable request for them, they'll listen.
Go Away! (8): By scaring someone with an Animal check, you can make them leave the scene if you beat their Animal. You cannot use this on friendly henge.
Giant Wolf (20): You turn into a wolf 3 meters long and as tall as an adult human. You get +10 to Animal and Henge in this state, and are big enough for a few people to ride. This lasts until you end it or the end of the scene. Each time you use this, your connection to the Town drops by 1.

Weaknesses:
Frightening: You're scary. When you make an Impression check, the Strength of the connection the other side gets to you is reduced by 1.
Honest: You can't lie, period, even when it would be kind.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 9, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Interest post

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Mors Rattus, I’m a little concerned about the Wolf abilities that cost connection to the Town. I’m planning to house-rule out the town connection and replace it with a Embracers Guild fame level, so the more good the whole guild does, the more the town respects all of its members. It’d be a shame to use the reputation of the guild as a burnable resource.

Instead, what do you think of just assigning in-character consequences? Wolf Howl could cause the town guard to head to the area after a little while (after they recover from the surprise) and Giant Wolf could cause the local Adventurers Guild to put up a Quest for adventurers to investigate the giant wolf monster that recently appeared. Both would add complications that would need to be dealt with through RP or other means but neither would be totally crippling. Plus it would be a good balance of using a big power to solve an immediate problem now but needing to face the consequences of that power later.

Aside from that I really like your character concept.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fine by me!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kuzonoha, Reborn Fox

Who was I? I was the head manager of human resources of this massive conglomerate, with several co-workers under my wing. I was fairly efficient at what I did, and it was due to that reason that the company did so well as it did. But of course, there were those who didn't thought like that, the ones that didn't agreed with such the way I did things, those who I chose to discard for the good of the company... How would I know that one of them would run a truck inside my office?! But it matters now. Perhaps that was a way to take me away from the corporate world, and bring me to this world to find my true calling, one that perhaps is more benevolent to people...

...Wait a second, I am a woman now?!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Riley

I was going to university, though I can't say I actually attended classes the all that much. You see, I had much more important things going on: I was a member of Bravado, a guild in the game Glory of Mesmir. If you'd ever played, then I'm sure you've heard about us. When we downed the toughest bosses, and we downed them all, we did it usually just a few days after they were added to the game. I was top dps, and that made me kind of a star. I never really talked about my strats much, but lots of others sure did. My grades were in the crapper, and I was pretty sure my post-secondary education was coming to a close. I couldn't make my parents understand. They didn't understand lots of things. I guess I've talked kind of highly about myself here, but my life, well, lets just say I wasn't exactly the happiest about it overall.

It's kind of funny that what did me in was doing what I was supposed to be doing: going to class. I was browsing the guild forums on my phone, and never even saw the truck that hit me while I was waiting for the bus. I remember the noise, kind of this weird sound of metal warping, then a rush of wind, then blackness. I don't remember it hurting.

The next thing I remembered after that was a popping sound, and the smell of a fire. I was so warm, and more comfortable than I think I'd ever been in my life. I could have slept like that forever. But it was only a matter of time before I had to open my eyes. I'm not sure I can describe the confusion of opening my eyes and finding myself in a strange place! I learned I was in the care of care of a man named Eldred. While Eldred couldn't say how I'd gotten here, or explain why I might be so different here than there, he did show me how this world, Fandavale, worked. A lot like Glory of Mesmir, it turns out!

It was like a dream come true, being stuck in a fantasy world. The sort of thing that only ever really happened in stories. But the absolute best part was me. I remember thinking Eldred was some sort of giant at first, before realizing it was actually me that was a whole lot smaller now. And, well, uh... cute! I had ears like a cat, and a tail! Although I'd done things that made me kinda popular in life before before, I wasn't really happy with a lot of things about myself. Now, though, it's like a horrible weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Eldred, I learned, was in the service of Fandavale's princess, Margarita. One day, after he'd shown me the basics behind adventuring, he set me up to journey to the capital and meet Princess Margarita myself. She had a plan for me, he explained. I remember him pointing to his armor, and telling me to *equip* it. I'd mentioned he was huge compared to me before, and I'm sure I could have stood in one of his boots and it would have gone up to my waist. But I did what he said, I *equipped* it. Like magic, it was suddenly somehow my size, and for a girl! It was so much more amazing than the baggy clothes I used to wear all the time. The weird thing is, he gave me a knife, too. Said it might come in handy for shaving kindling and stuff. Well, it looks more like a sword in my hands.

When I met Princess Margarita, she explained to me my intended role here. She was the one who told me I can change my shape if I wished it to help achieve this goal. The idea that I could do something like that actually kind of scares me... like if I did that, I might not ever be able to get back to how I am now. She reassures me that this isn't the case, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.

Fandavale Stats posted:

Race: Catling
Class: Ranger Lv.: 2 Exp.: 35/200
Hp: 32 / 32 Mp: 16 / 16

Right Hand: Old Bow / Filleting Knife
Left Hand: - Empty -
Head: - Empty -
Body: Agent's Tabard
Hands: Agent's Bracers
Feet: Agent's Greaves

Abilities:
Tracker: Lv.2 (10/40) - Find other denizens in Fandavale, even if they might be hiding.
Explorer: Lv.9 (*MAX!*) - Find cities and other landmarks all across Fandavale.

Tradeskills:
Fishing: Lv.3 (27/50) (+5 Catling Racial) Fish in all of Fandavale's lakes & rivers.
Cooking Lv.3 (25/50) Prepare delicious food for you and your party members.

Actual Stats posted:

Henge 1
Animal 3
Adult 3
Child 1

Powers:
Kitty (0)
Fuzzy (4)
Peek Into Hearts(6)
Stealthy Feet (8)
Cat Paths (10)
Friends (14)
Cat Burglar (8)
Acrobatics (4)

Weakness:
Skittish
Can't Swim

bahamut fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 21, 2017

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Mikey / Miike

My life wasn't going anywhere before I wound up here. I mean, yeah, I had the girls, the gang, everything. I felt like I ran the town in my third year of highschool, and the people who actually ran the town were happy to have someone pulling heat off them. But you know what? I didn't appreciate it. I didn't have any perspective. I didn't respect the people who cared for me. I was a real jerk.

It sounds awful to say this, but that drunken motorcycle accident was probably the best thing that's happened to me.

The Princess gave me the kind of clean slate you can't get anywhere else, and I wasn't about to let it go to waste. I had to step up. I was all about getting people to respect and work with each other before - even if I had a mean way of managing it - and that mutual decency is exactly what this place needs. Can't really try to intimidate people into good behavior anymore, though... Well, I can try, but I'm a year or two younger looking and a lot softer, and what happens on Earth stays on Earth, right? I got no reputation here.

I like this new approach, though. It's just leadership. And not the stuff outta textbooks - it's straight off the streets. And what's a better title than Paladin? That's right, none. And there's doubly... Nothing...? Better than a dog paladin. Get on my level!

Stat Block posted:

Race: Top Dog
Class: Paladin Lv. 3 (5/300)

HP: 99/105
MP: 5/5

Abilities:
Pull: Lv. 10 — You can't help it if you always want to be the center of attention.
Kite: Lv. MAX — It's not running away, it's just moving the danger away from others!
Lay on Hands: Lv. 3 — You're not a real healer, so don't let it get to your head.
pre:
Henge    1
Animal   4
Adult    0
Child    3

Powers:
Doggie (0)
Sticking Close (4)
Petting (6)
It's All Right (6)
Substitution (8)
Howl (10)
Sorry (8)
Perseverance (4)

Weakness:
Honest
Clumsy

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 11, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
This party is going to be the best thing :allears: Goons always have the best character concepts.

I think I’ll make the deadline next Sunday night (the 19th), so there’s plenty of time for more apps.

Also one additional house-rule note. Unlike normal GSS where you play animals who can shapeshift, in this you can choose your ‘base’ form freely. Instead of spending more points to get to full human, since each of your three forms will be equally important I’m dropping the per-scene cost and instead making it a flat 6 point cost anytime you shift from one form to another. I may tweak this as needed.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alani, the Slime

Hello~! I'm Alani, though that wasn't my name before I came to Fandavale. What was it? Well, that's a secret! But, um, I think it's safe to say you wouldn't recognize me if you saw a picture of the old me. I was sick. Really sick. I had a hard time even going to school! And... to be honest, I wasn't a happy person. When I saw people outside my window having so much fun, it was like a knife digging into my heart. I wanted to be out there too! I wanted to have all that fun! It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair at all. So... well, I sometimes took it out on the people around me. I said some really mean things to the people who love me most and... well, I wish I could have told them I didn't really mean it before the accident.

I guess that's all in the past, though. All I can do is take this chance at a new life and make the most of it! Before the Princess called me to the palace and introduced me to the Embracer's Guild, I... well, this is kind of embarrassing, but I snuck into this fancy-pants restaurant and was working my way through the pantry when I got caught. I don't know what it is! I never used to be hungry before, but I'm always famished! I guess this new form really takes it out of me, huh? Oh, right! I haven't even told you that much. I'm a slime person! I mean, I guess I'm like everyone else in that I have the three forms, but the one that feels the most like "me" is the one in the middle up there!

It's super cool, actually! I know that people think things like "oh man, slimes are just trash mobs!" or "look at that easy xp bouncing around!" but I've got all sorts of neat abilities! I can change my size, I've got all sorts of neat gadgets and doo-dads that were just lying around that I picked up, and — best of all — I can suck the sickness and bad stuff out of people! I bet if I was able to go back to Earth, I could have even cured me. Though... if I was there to cure me, I wouldn't need to be cured? Aw, nuts. But, um, yeah! Here I am, ready to save the day and unite all the different peoples of the world!

Stat Block posted:

Race: Orange Gel
Class: Lvl. 1 Genki Girl (35/100)

HP: 20/20
MP: 15/15

Stats:
Adorability: Lvl. ∞ — D'aww! Who can possibly resist your charms?
Appetite: Lvl. ∞ — You are a menace to street vendors everywhere, but you always clean your plate!
Detect Motive: Lvl. 0 — Nobody would ever lie to you, right?

Character Sheet posted:

True Form: Slime

Stats:
Henge: 3
Animal: 2
Adult: 1
Child: 2

Powers:
Squeeze ( 4 )
You can slip through a tiny crack to get to somewhere else. Even if a place is closed off or a dead end, you can disappear from the scene. Also, you can use this to get into places you wouldn’t normally be able to.
Cellular Memory ( 6 )
By making physical contact with someone, you can read their heart. This mainly lets you hear what someone is saying in their head, not what they’re feeling or what’s true. Still, it lets you find out what someone’s real intentions are from their heart rather than their mouth.
Stuff ( 6 )
Your gelatinous body has some random objects you’ve picked up at any given time. Use this power to pull a small, ordinary object out of your slimy body. It may be a little sticky though.
Hold ( 6 )
You can extrude part of your body to wrap around someone, ensuring that they can’t get away. Until either they beat your Henge attribute with their Animal attribute, the scene ends, or you decide to let them go, they can’t move from where they are.
Swell ( 8 )
You can make your body become massive to Surprise people. People (and even henge) who haven’t seen this power in use before can be Surprised by it. If this is the case, you get a bonus of +2 to your Henge attributes for Surprise.
Two of Me ( 10 )
You can temporarily split yourself apart to be in two different scenes at the same time. Even if two scenes are taking place at exactly the same time, you can appear in both. Also, each version of you can know what’s going on in the other’s scene.

Weaknesses:
Glutton
You love to eat, and if you don’t get a proper meal, you can barely move. Furthermore, if there’s food in front of you, you have to stop and eat until you’re full or the food is all gone, even you have other things to do.
Antidote ( 20 )
If a person is afflicted with a sickness or has been poisoned, you can eliminate it. This power can cure any deadly poison or incurable disease, but it cannot raise the dead, heal wounds, or extend a person’s natural lifespan.
---
Gullible
You just can’t figure out when you’re being tricked, even when you’re in the middle of tricking someone yourself. You never suspect you’re being lied to, and even if you as the player fully understand that a lie has been told, your henge will have to believe it.
Size Change ( 8 )
You can change your size, anywhere from one inch to about ten feet tall. If you become very small you can slip into smaller places, and add 1 to your attribute for checks relating to hiding or evading. If you become very large, add 1 to your attribute for Surprise and for checks relating to physical strength. This effect lasts until the end of the scene or until you cancel the transformation.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 10, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kamu, the fearless honorable mighty warrior

I always loved being outside. But alas I was deprived of my claws at an early age. My family was gracious however. They had a nice porch with a screen wall so the wind could blow through. I wanted to explore though. I would paw at the screen in frustration. It turns out I didn't know my own strength. I rolled into it one time and I broke through. Oh I was free! Free to explore and discover! Free to finally taste those birds!

It was a short lived adventure.

However! It did work out, as I am now on an indefinite adventure. Now I'm truly able to explore the forest and feast upon all the fruits it offers. Oh my I'm licking my lips just thinking about it. So many tastes. My I've spent my entire time there never getting bored. I was quite surprised I had built a bit of a legend for myself pouncing on some of the more particularly mean creatures. For something so supposedly fierce the dire owlbear sure didn't know what to do about a sneak attack! Of course that's not how I tell the story usually. People get excited so I want them to have fun with a big neat story, and I have fun telling them too!

Being invited to the princess' group thing has actually been great! I get to sleep under a roof like I used to. I didn't realize I missed cooked meals. And pets. I really missed pets. When I regale people of my great battles and they get all excited it's like I have twelve families all at once! I can't wait to go more things and get even more people to shower me with food and affection!

quote:

True Form: Cat

Henge 3
Animal 2
Adult 0
Child 3

Powers:
Kitty (0)
You are an ordinary cat, the kind people see everywhere. Even when you are in your animal form, you will not Surprise people who see you, and they will not find your presence strange.
Fuzzy (4)
By taking a friendly attitude and rubbing against someone, you can remove the fetters of a person’s heart. While you stay close to someone during a scene, that person’s Adult attribute drops to zero.
Peek into Hearts (6)
You can read the heart of another. This mainly lets you hear what someone is saying in their head, not what they’re feeling or what’s true. Still, it lets you find out what someone’s real intentions are from their heart rather than their mouth.
Stealthy Feet (8)
You move around neither leaving any traces nor making a sound. No one in the scene will notice your presence at all; no check is possible. Unless you speak or do something that will overtly make noise, this effect will continue until the scene ends.
Cat Paths (10)
You can use paths that only cats can see to appear and disappear unexpectedly. This lets you enter or leave a scene when and where you want, regardless of whether it’s already in progress. This even works if you’re doing something different in another scene taking place at the same time.
Friends (14)
You can call the other cats in the town to help you out. This will bring out a number of cats equal to the sum of your Henge and Animal attributes, times two, until the end of the scene. However, with so many cats in one place, you cannot use your Kitty power. If you and your friends don’t do a good job of hiding, you’ll probably Surprise people you meet.
Menace (8)
This lets you use a cat’s mysterious dignity to menace and drive someone away. Make a Henge check. If you beat their Adult or Henge, they’ll flee the scene. However, you cannot use this on a friendly henge.
Acrobatics (4)
You can move as though you’re practically flying. When it comes to athletic stuff, if you make an Animal check, you can pull off things that seem impossible. (Except, of course, for swimming.)

Weaknesses
Shred
When you see a shoji/fusuma (paper sliding door), poster, etc., you can’t help but go at it with your claws. When you come across something like that in the town, you’ll forget what you were doing and start scratching.
Can’t Swim
You’re one of those cats who can’t swim and hates water. If you enter a bathtub, pool, or a large body of water, you’re automatically affected by a level 7 Surprise.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a character idea for this and am considering apping, but while I was thinking about things I realized something, so now I have a couple of questions relating to Surprise.

First, does doing un-animal-y things or whatever, or showing up at all in the case of things like wolves, mononoke, and other such things, cause surprise, or is that not a problem since monsters are, well, A Thing in this game that live among people and whatnot? Similarly does using our powers and whatnot (that don't specifically cause Surprise like Wolf Howl or Swell) or other such weird things cause surprise, or are people used to magic as well as talking animals, monsters, and all that?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Excellent questions!

Any ability that says it will cause Surprise still causes Surprise. However, taking un-animal-like actions (talking, walking on two feet etc.) or using other magic-like powers will not cause Surprise because, as you said, monsters are a fairly common sight.

In place of that, since the three races are very clearly defined in this society, the concept of anyone being able to shift between them is a Very Big Thing. Most people believe only extremely powerful and old monsters are capable of completely taking other forms. Shifting from one to the other in front of people (or even mentioning that you are capable of this) will cause the same sort of Surprise as shifting does in vanilla GSS, along with other in-character consequences.

Also, due to inter-racial prejudices, there will be many characters who will only properly interact with people who are the same race as they are. The form you choose to use when interacting with people will greatly influence how those conversations go.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It'd been a good, long life. If she'd said she was ready for it, she'd be lying, but it was going to come sooner or later. It happened on vacation, a good time to go. Well before age would have brought her to bed.

She wasn't much into fantasies, digital or written, so it's been an odd trip for her. Not to say she didn't enjoy stories or books, or travel to faraway lands. But she worried more about real people. Being magical is disorienting, to say the least. Scandalous, even. It's like being filled with lightning, and though she doesn't understand the conventions of these strange lands, she does find herself more energetic than she's known in decades. The people are strange, to be certain, and the god isn't quite what she'd been raised to expect. But it wouldn't be the first time she's been a caretaker, and that really is what it comes down to.

Her existence is a whirlwing within and without, and though she doesn't really acknowledge the notion of royalty, making the world better is its own duty. And she's curious about the people, the food, the culture.... sure, there are people who don't understand others, just like back home. Only now, she can do something about it rather than just shake her head sadly. She can change the world, but... not alone. But the question is... whose wishes will she grant? Who can make things better for everyone?

pre:
Race: Zephyr Djinn	Class: Lvl. 4 Dancer (23/400)
HP: 40/40		MP: 61/125

Abilities

Wind Blast Lv. 4: Aaa! Sorry! I didn't mean it! Don't surprise me like that!
Polka Polka Lv. 10: Hey! Check me out! No fighting! Hey!
Djinni Wish Lv. ∞: ???
pre:
Zahra the Djinn

Henge 3		Animal 1		Adult 3		Child 1

Transforming

+0: Close to her human, but her flowing, airy hair, glowing blue eyes, and inability to touch the ground mark her as
    inhuman.
+2: Though her long blue hair and strange djinn outfit cause her to stand out, she can be mistaken for human once
    she touches the ground.
+4: Completely human, with appropriate clothing for the community.

Djinn Powers

Memorable (0)

You leave a very strong impression on people you meet. When making an Impression Check, you only need a result of 3 to
make a Strength 1 connection, or a result of 6 to make a Strength 2 connection.

Wind-Borne (2)

You can call winds to carry you into the sky. You can also carry things that are smaller than yourself. Further more,
when you are running away or searching for things, add 2 to your attribute. However, you cannot use this power when you
are in full human form. This effect lasts until the end of the scene. 

Muse (1+)

Something about your very presence can inspire others to do better. By making some kind of show of affection or giving
words of inspiration you can give someone Feelings equal to the number of Wonder points you spend on this power.

Far Far Away (8)

You instantly go to somewhere far off, outside of the town. This power can instantly take you and others with whom you
have connections to another place. It will not take you to anywhere inside of the town, however, unless it’s to return
to the town from somewhere outside.

Lovely Dance (10)

You have an exceptional, unearthly talent for dancing. When you do so, anyone who sees you must pass an Adult check
against your Henge score plus 2 or become entranced by your dance, unable to do anything but watch or try to get closer
to you until you stop dancing.

I Wish (30)

If somebody professes a wish in your presence, you may grant it. This is a a real wish with lasting effects. You may be
decide to be mean or nice about it, but the ultimate effects are up to the Narrator. You can only use this power once
per story, and may only grant a single character's wishes three times, even across multiple stories.

Additional Powers

Fingers of Wind (2)

By carefully using tiny bursts of air, you can pick up and manipulate objects from a distance. You use your Henge
attribute for any checks made this way, and you can do so from a distance with an unseen force.

Mysterious Moves (2)

You can use your magic to perform even very simple, everyday tasks. When you use this power, you can substitute your
Henge attribute for any check.

Wind Form (8)

Being a creature of the air, you can temporarily transform yourself into pure wind. In this form others can’t see or
touch you, and you can fly around at will. However, you can’t pick up or manipulate objects, except for things you can
sweep up as a gust of wind would. This transformation lasts until the end of the scene or until you cancel it.

Weaknesses

Delicate

You are of a delicate build and you’re not very strong. You can’t raise your Animal attribute higher than 1, and you
can’t use Feelings on checks that requite physical power.

Mysterious Wanderer

You’re a removed from the mundane world, making you distant from others. Between scenes you only gain 1 point of
Feelings from each of your connections, regardless of the strengths of those connections.

Sudden Gale

When you’re upset you tend to summon up bursts of powerful winds. If you are Surprised by 3 or more, you create a
flurry of wind that picks up and hurls small objects (and henge!) in the immediate area, causing Surprise of 8 for
everyone present.
The Djinn here is mainly done as a mashup of the Visitor from Mononoke Koyake and Nymph from Faerie Skies, with a little Bird and Witch thrown in and some adjustments here and there. No overlap with the currently listed playbooks, but it can be adjusted if there are any potential issues.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Just bumping this up to say there's a few days left. I'll be closing apps Sunday night.

Everyone who's apped, start thinking about what kind of bonds your character might have with the other characters who have been introduced so far. Obviously I won't be taking everyone, but this will make it quicker when we get to the next step.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well, as I've come to expect on SA everyone had awesome apps and it was super tough to pick who would join but here we go:

The Characters
Mors Rattus as Esra the Wolf
Plutonis as Kuzunoha the Fox
Bahamut as Riley the Cat
Atlatl as Mike the Dog
Tricky as Alani the Slime

So, if you folks could, please create your connections before we get started.
Since there's 5 players, everyone will start out with a connection of 1. You all probably met formally for the first time after being called in by Margarita, but you may have bumped into each other around town before that.
Also, instead of your usual strength 2 connection to the town, you will start out with a strength 1 connection for the Embracers Guild. This represents the fame of the guild; the power of the positive feelings people have about it.
Depending on when everyone gets their connections written up I'll try to have an IC thread ready either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Esra

Guild of Embracers: 1 (Fame) - Yeah, I can handle this job! I am a warrior of love and justice!! And, uh, terrifying people.
Kuzunoha: 1 (Like) - She seems weird, but she smells all right. She uses too many big words.
Riley: 1 (Protection) - She's a good kid! But way too small. I'll keep her safe.
Mike: 1 (Rivalry/Affection) - He's cute. But I'm not gonna let that get in the way of me being the strong one!! C'mon, let's spar.
Alani: 1 (Respect) - She can eat even more than me! And she can get real big.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Huh, really surprised I didn't make it.

Have fun, folks!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alani!

Guild of Embracers: 1 (Fame) - You know, this is my first job! Ever! I'm going to give it everything I've got! ...After I get a snack. I'm famished!
Kuzunoha: 1 (Rivalry) - She's kind of serious and bossy, like the nurses were. But I'm not sick anymore, so I don't need to be bossed around!
Riley: 1 (Respect/Affection) - Have you tried her fish dishes? They're amazing! I could eat them every day forever. Also, she's adorable!
Mike: 1 (Trust) - He's awesome! I don't really get how he got so good at making everyone look at him, but he's super good at it. And those ears!
Esra: 1 (Admiration) - She kind of scared me at first (...and still does, when she gets worked up), but she tries really hard and I can really tell this means a lot to her!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kuzonoha

Guild of Embracers 1(Fame): "Helping the people"? A vague corporate mission, although one I've seen used before in many companies.
Ezra: 1 (Respect) Her strong instinct and dedication, as well as her KPIs make her a strong asset for the group.
Mike: 1 (Rivalry) Why is that ruffian trying to lead without having ever read the basics? Has he ever even had tried to make a balanced scorecard?
Riley: 1 (Protection/Affection) Hmm, his anxiousness does hamper his work. Perhaps the correct mentoring can help with that.
Alani: 1 (Protection) Despite her rebelliousness, she is energetic and can be a model employee if that energy is well spent.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Mikey

Guild of Embracers: 1 (Fame) Hearts and minds, baby! Woo!
Ersa: 1 (Rivalry/Affection) Not now, Ersa! Get off of me! I'm not gonna throw this fight even if I was in the middle of a conversation!
Kuzonoha: 1 (Trust) I'm the bad cop, she's the good cop. Or hot boss, cold boss? I'm definitely the hot one. Heh. But if I have trouble figuring something out, I go to her.
Riley: 1 (Admiration) So smart. So responsible. So able to take care of themselves! I need to grow up and get like that. Well, maybe without being so timid...
Alani: 1 (Protection) I can't believe the way she gets treated by the people here. Nobody deserves that!

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 21, 2017

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Riley

Guild of Embracers (1, Fame) - Another opportunity to tuck some more realm-firsts under my belt! Our guild's gonna be the top in the world!
Esra (1, Protection) - Back in Bravado, I had a guildmate named Bojinks and his dps would've been really close to mine only he kept getting himself killed all the time. If he hadn't been quite so reckless, he'd have probably topped me on the charts. Esra has like the exact same fiery attitude, and I'm worried it might get her into trouble. If I can get her to listen to my advice, get her to be a little more aware, then I'm sure she'll be an even more effective teammate!
Kuzonoha (1, Respect) - She speaks with this sort of certainty and authority that I haven't even seen Princess Margarita use! If we needed to develop a complex strat to deal with a challenge, I bet she'd do a better job of it than me.
Mikey (1, Admiration / Affection) - He kind of reminds me of my older brother, confident and outgoing. I was always an awkward mess in comparison, but he never faulted me for it and always tried to include me in things. I get the same sort of vibe from Mikey.
Alani (1, Trust / Affection) - Of everyone in our guild, I think I could share my own problems with Alani the most. Apparently she can get really big if she wants to! I haven't seen it myself and I guess the way she kind of likes to be isn't -that- much taller than me though, which is oddly comforting somehow.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 21, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Awesome, thanks everyone. IC thread will be up tomorrow morning.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Thread is up!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841325

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh! And you can start in any form you want for free. All transformations after that will cost 6 points a pop.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Best of luck. :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Atlatl posted:

Best of luck. :(

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah, geez, hope everything turns out well.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Update: we’re getting out of the hospital now!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
:yeah:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

:same:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry for the long silence. November was rocky with my wife’s health and we’ve been doing a lot of volunteering during the holidays so I haven’t had a lot of time to sit down and work on this but I will definitely post either tonight or tomorrow morning and get this moving again.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey with the holidays here I'm going to be spending time with family so probably no posts until the New Year.

Also I sort of started a Toxx that if I don't finish my novel by the end of the year I'll eat a ban until I do finish it. So, if you see me get banned don't worry, I'll be back at some point to resume this. I just really want to get this stupid novel finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So uh, it's been two weeks since the New Year...

• Locked thread