Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sedisp posted:

No the best part is in one week post launch the thread will be full of complaints of idlers.

An improvement over people complaining about no one playing on PC!

See, DICE thought of everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

JFC posted:

Oh. Oops

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one then, but right now the two ways to play this game on PC are if you preordered it and have the 3-day head start or you can try the 10-hour "free" trial if you have EA Access, right? I have both preordered the game and have EA Access and I loaded the trial first which gates me at only the first 3 chapters of the campaign. How can I get out of the trial and just be playing using my preorder access? I tried uninstalling the trial and pre-loading the game but it still shows me as being on the trial.

Anyone else having this problem?

Rest of the campaign is locked until launch. You only get to play the first few missions in the trial.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Welp it's looking really loving ugly but it's too late for me to back out now. Obviously not going to buy crates, and will wring what enjoyment out of this I can.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Here's the thing about it. It's really morally ugly. but here are still loads of maps and toys to play with here.

Them essentially locking heroes behind a paywall is loving lovely, what the loot crates encourage is odious, but none of it means you can't run around and shoot stuff and do well at it. The game at the heart of this survives the poo poo they've thrown at it pretty well, from everything I've seen.

The question is not "will you have fun playing this shooting game", it's "will you support the business practice slippery slope this game is on?"

I'm the rear end in a top hat in this case, I'm still in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I, too, plan to enjoy running and gunning and only using in game credits to buy crates

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
For all the concerns about the loot crates and broken cards, I'm still finding myself at the top of the scoreboards in fighter assault despite still having no starfighter cards and haven't gotten smoked by anyone with a stacked hand (yet.)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This thread is now only for assholes. Valiant gamers :frogout:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

JFC your post was well thought out except for the part where the entire thing hinges on an incorrect assumption at the start. I am leaving a note about credit gain in the OP so future generations do not make this mistake.

His assumption was incorrect however the conclusion is still accurate. A. the best way to play starfighter assault is to start by scouring turrets from the landscape to get a hero ship ASAP, and B. starfighter assault is the best mode to grind crates since in it’s the only one that’s fun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

His assumption was incorrect however the conclusion is still accurate. A. the best way to play starfighter assault is to start by scouring turrets from the landscape to get a hero ship ASAP, and B. starfighter assault is the best mode to grind crates since in it’s the only one that’s fun

Now this is some A+ outside the box thinking!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
don't play the campaign on normal, it's really really easy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

don't play the campaign on normal, it's really really easy

Heh don't tell me what to do. You have no idea how bad I am bud.

:smug:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was really down and depressed about the game yesterday. I was watching a stream of it being played and it was bittersweet because it looks really fun which makes this whole tacked on system so odious.

Is anyone else going to be playing on PS4/Can we have a support group trying to make the best of things?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I will suffer alongside you on the pc

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was really down and depressed about the game yesterday. I was watching a stream of it being played and it was bittersweet because it looks really fun which makes this whole tacked on system so odious.

Is anyone else going to be playing on PS4/Can we have a support group trying to make the best of things?

If I do get the game, I'm split between PS4 or PC. I'm better with KBM, but I'll play wherever the community is strongest. I have Bfront1 on PS4 so I won't be all thumbs :v:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Anticheese posted:

I will suffer alongside you on the pc

Same.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://twitter.com/BiggSean66/status/929517445626216448

lmao EA sure is good at community interaction.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Those poor, poor, poor souls at EA.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's genuinely astonishing to me that game devs can say "well we have to compromise SOME part of the game, how's it going to make money otherwise?" when games like Overwatch and Dota 2 exist and between the two of them probably make more money than most third world countries

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh poo poo, good news guys.
They got rid of the loot crates!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Deakul posted:

Oh poo poo, good news guys.
They got rid of the loot crates!

I don't buy this, why would DICE and EA take down a simple method of earning way more money just before the game officially launches?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'll be playing this on Ps4 on launch. Bought it through PSN like a sucker... My PSN is the same there as my name here.

Really sucks to see that the ingame progression will be stonewalled early on. Only thing I can do is play, hopefully have fun and not give these bastards any more of my money.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
#CrystalFree

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The same guy who ages ago leaked about the loot box poo poo just posted again on Reddit. He said every single piece of DLC needs to be bought with in-game credits or of course, with the cash currency. Looks like Dice is going the GTA route for DLC.

quote:

For those of you who don't know or don't remember me I leaked a fair amount of information and did a leaks AMA a few months back but because of certain circumstances I had to go silent for a bit. I'm breaking that silence because the systems put in place by EA are serious hosed and will ruin this game. There's good news though, the constant negative press and consumer backlash is having an effect within the company but needs to continue, hell even increased. Please don't fall for their bullshit, they're going to make a passive aggressive statement about how the amount of post launch seasons will be decreased because of lackluster lootbox sales in order to try and guilt people to buy boxes to get more content in the future. It's straight bullshit. Do not buy any crates, I'm completely serious that this will help the game in the long run. All the "free dlc" will need to be bought with credits. That means new heroes, weapons and yes possibly even vehicles will need to be bought before playing with them. The prices are currently even higher than the base game prices so believe me when I say it will only get worse from here unless the pushback is big enough. I will answer any questions/clarify anything that I can because this is a huge issue.
EDIT: Just to make some more points clear, the current credit prices for things such as heroes or lootboxes is how it will be for launch. They didn't jack up the prices for people who had EA Access those are literally the current prices for everything in the game.

oh and also

quote:

Yes DLC items currently will be higher(cost) than base game unlocks. When the game launches worldwide this coming week it's going to be chaos when people see the full extent of EA's greed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cbi05/you_are_actually_helping_by_making_a_big_fuss/?st=j9w5a7qt&sh=c3aee35c

If you pre ordered off of Origin you can still cancel. If you pre ordered on PS4/XBox and live in the UK/EU or Australia consumer laws still let you cancel pre orders and get a full refund. Not sure about the US.

Even if you really want the game wait till the TLJ comes out. EA during their earnings call said they will be discounting the game to coincide with the movie's opening week just like they did for the first one.

Raged fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 12, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can we please petition Disney to loving drop EA as the sole game developer for Star Wars?

Lucasarts had the right idea in the past of letting drat near everyone get a shot at making Star Wars games. :sigh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh no, not my post-launch seasons, oh poo poo.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Deakul posted:

Can we please petition Disney to loving drop EA as the sole game developer for Star Wars?

Lucasarts had the right idea in the past of letting drat near everyone get a shot at making Star Wars games. :sigh:

That is the real issue here. Yes, I can boycott EA, but as a Star Wars fan I have no other choice if I want to play a new videogame based on the franchise.

Also, why the hell are blaster bolts so muted in this game? It looks like tracer fire, especially the red bolts. They look more yellow-orange than red.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Raged posted:

More bad news

Oh hey I feel even worse about the game now

Yeah, this is going to be DOA

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Going through the comments it appears even the single player has been chopped up, ending on a cliffhanger with no resolution (to be continued with later DLC, which we may not get at this rate)

Yeah, I think I'm done with preorders and ever buying an EA product. I know I should have been at that point years ago but oh well. :smith:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I see preordering as the same as paying someone working on your house before they finish their work- not very smart and you give the company no further incentive to do a good job. People can't help themselves, especially with these multiplayer games that have leveling mechanics. I keep seeing people getting burned on it, but they can't help themselves.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
How did EA let Titanfall 2 turn out so well compared to this? All the dlc was free and the only stuff you could buy was cosmetic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pops Mgee posted:

How did EA let Titanfall 2 turn out so well compared to this? All the dlc was free and the only stuff you could buy was cosmetic.

Well EA just bought out Respawn outright, so you can expect a proper EA treatment for Titanfall 3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Going through the comments it appears even the single player has been chopped up, ending on a cliffhanger with no resolution (to be continued with later DLC, which we may not get at this rate)

Yeah, I think I'm done with preorders and ever buying an EA product. I know I should have been at that point years ago but oh well. :smith:

the dlc hits in december and is free apperently.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The campaign iwns so far. Can't wait to play more of it.

Although the encounter with regular imperial forces on endor is different to the trailers. But hey still cool. Boarding the MC80 was pretty badass too.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
What agitates me the most about this game is that until you get to the star card factor, it's perfect.

For a run and gun team shooter with in-round unlocks it seems ideal. Watching early gameplay on youtube where nobody has any unlocks make it seem like a finely tuned race car of a star wars game, not to mention a multiplayer shooter. It has a bonkers amount of content out of the gate and the promise of more DLC in a seasonal format is outrageously cool.

But the star card p2w system makes this 60 dollar title act like a f2p loot crate arms race, and it's going to gently caress the game over time.

See it reminds of of the last Battlefront, where after 2 months on PC it was the true believer poopsocks with the high level cards and everyone else. The skill gap plus magical high power cards plus knowledge of exploits made it a nightmare to come to if you didn't obsess for months. I bought the game to be my casual shooter alternative and it never could be that. Every time I hopped in a round I got ultrastomped and I top 5 almost every round of BF1.

The same thing will happen here. I'm sure of it. And it agitates because what they built, in the vanilla format, seems perfect.

All that will save this game imo is a "no star cards" playlist but lord knows EA will veto that poo poo, even if Dice supports rhe idea.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Yeah. I regretted picking up battlefront the third for 5 bucks, may just wait till this one hits the same price at least.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

What agitates me the most about this game is that until you get to the star card factor, it's perfect.

For a run and gun team shooter with in-round unlocks it seems ideal. Watching early gameplay on youtube where nobody has any unlocks make it seem like a finely tuned race car of a star wars game, not to mention a multiplayer shooter. It has a bonkers amount of content out of the gate and the promise of more DLC in a seasonal format is outrageously cool.

But the star card p2w system makes this 60 dollar title act like a f2p loot crate arms race, and it's going to gently caress the game over time.

See it reminds of of the last Battlefront, where after 2 months on PC it was the true believer poopsocks with the high level cards and everyone else. The skill gap plus magical high power cards plus knowledge of exploits made it a nightmare to come to if you didn't obsess for months. I bought the game to be my casual shooter alternative and it never could be that. Every time I hopped in a round I got ultrastomped and I top 5 almost every round of BF1.

The same thing will happen here. I'm sure of it. And it agitates because what they built, in the vanilla format, seems perfect.

All that will save this game imo is a "no star cards" playlist but lord knows EA will veto that poo poo, even if Dice supports rhe idea.

I played some more fighter matches today and there is at least one player who has all 3 star card slots unlocked and all epic cards on all of his ship types. I can't imagine how much money he spent. EA support has been giving a lot of people extra trial time when they ask, but to get all of that had to cost hundreds of dollars.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
EA's greed would be a lot less infurating if the base content wasn't actually good. It's like seeing a beautiful, delicious pizza come out of an oven only for a dozen men in suits to take turns making GBS threads on it as it travels from kitchen to table as you watch in horror.

Seriously the devs made something kickin rad and EA hosed it. This IP is like a money fountain, if they didn't do the crate/card poo poo a quarter of the planet would probably buy it.

Ugh sorry it just frustrates me. This is a dream star wars game for me at long last but it's tainted with baffling greed.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well EA just bought out Respawn outright, so you can expect a proper EA treatment for Titanfall 3.

The alternative was Nexon. Hard to argue that EA wasn't the lesser evil for Respawn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Symetrique posted:

The alternative was Nexon. Hard to argue that EA wasn't the lesser evil for Respawn.

EA also launched Titanfall 2 a week after Battlefield 1, leading to poor sales. And a month before acquiring the studio they shuttered Visceral. To me that looks like they maneuvered them into a corner, killed a company they had no further need for, and then bought up Respawn after grinding them into submission.

Nexon is bad, but I'd take them over the studio killer that is Electronic Arts. Nexon wasn't the one that killed Pandemic. Or Westwood. Or Maxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Just left a match where everyone including myself was invisible. :dice: