Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is this game extremely punishing to new players or am I just awful? I’ve spent maybe 6 hours on the multiplayer and have maybe 15 kills to show for it (on pc) and I can’t tell if it’s because I’m undergeared and my enemies are cheating or if I’m just finally too old for new video games

I’ve tried every class and apart from when I play Heavy I just kind of die instantly upon contact in every match. Even in call of duty I do a little better than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess I appreciate that better weapons are locked behind kills instead of loot boxes but if the game is gonna be like this until I get those guns, getting those kills is gonna be a bad time

This whole system of “having more experience in a game gives you material advantages over inexperienced players” makes me long for like, day of defeat 1.0

Getting kar sniped sucked but at least you could just spawn with a kar too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you like sniping? No? You're not missing anything.

The only thing I like more than sniping is vainly trying to capture objectives while half my team snipes from the spawn point so that map is made for me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

The Battlefront games seemed like cheap and bad imitations of Battlefield even back in the day. They certainly haven't gotten any better with age.

I thought battlefront 2’s campaign with the maps and the fleet were kinda cool, but other than that I don’t remember much about the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Once you get inside on Hoth any saber hero really wrecks due to how much of a cluster it is, but yes shield bubbles will definitely help there.

In my so far limited experience, the biggest game changers outside of skilled hero users are officers who pop bubbles.

Edit: Also, teams with good assaults who use scan darts frequently. It's basically a wallhack for your team that can be constantly up in fighting areas.

I might just be dumb or maybe I just dont understand how the radar works in normal play but what does the scan dart actually do? I can’t figure out what new information it gives me when I use it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hmm. It’s possible I’ve just never used a scan dart correctly then because I’ve never seen an enemy through walls like that :x

I’m a bad enough assault that I’m lucky if I even remember I have the scan dart tbh, I’ve got some practicing to do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now that’s what I call pod racing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Galactic assault is fun if you pretend it’s 40k instead of Star Wars and you’re a doomed imperial guardsman. It’s not fun if your goal is to kill people or successfully accomplish objectives

I wish you could play it with bots because the maps are cool and it’d be fun to see them while pretending to be good at the game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Goons, I don't know about you, but I would not be upset if the next BF game did not feature a sniper class

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

This argument is dumb as hell due to:
1. The last game had Bespin pilots and Scarrif troopers running around on Endor and Hoth.
2. This game has Darth Maul fighting Rey on the Death Star.

Listen. Have you seen TLJ yet? You don't know what could happen

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed the campaign as a fun pew pew Star Wars game but boy oh boy that story, huh? I tried not to take it seriously but that vardos or zardosz or whatever mission still has me reeling.

the empire’s grand plan to maintain order after the death of the emperor is to destroy planets and instill fear. That’s the kind of thing that got people rebelling in the first place but ok, let’s do it. But instead of destroying enemy planets you destroy...loyal ones? And before you destroy one of them, you want to get a vital operative off the planet first. But instead of just like, giving her a shuttle, you need to send a crack commando team to hold the door for her or something. And you don’t send them in like a day or two ahead of time when it’s not suspicious, you send them literally as the planet is being destroyed. And one of the commandos is your own daughter, and also it’s her own home world that you’re making her watch be destroyed

There’s just....a lot going on in that one

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

the dumb plan is apparently explained in a novel or whatever. basically the emperor left orders to be executed upon his death that were deliberately insane because if he died then the empire didn't deserve to survive anyway

That’s dumb as hell but it at least makes more sense

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You probably just play as the daughter in the dlc

There’s no loving way that rey is their kid and if that turns out to be the case I will eat my hat. Please note that I call sandwiches hats

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The daughter will be a dlc protagonist so that you don’t have to play as old lady iden

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wanna say there was a lovely level on a junkyard train? Or was that force unleashed? Or both?

Star Wars loves junkyards now that I think about it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

anakin is half midichlorian, but he does have a mother i suppose

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

That's kinda my point, though - they absolutely were random and it allowed even low-skill players a chance at playing as hero units. It wasn't an outright gimme - you still had to be careful picking it up and using it - but every once in a while you'd stumble on one while making your way to the front line and it was a nice surprise. IIRC they weren't really possible to camp either because of random distributions. Battlefront is a casual shooter that's primarily focused on 'the experience' over pure gameplay and the tokens fit with that ethos.

The BP system in this game is alright and I see what they're going for, but a lot of matches (especially when you're new to the game) simply feel like a meat grinder because there's no way you're going to farm points faster than people who know the objectives or have star card buffs.

I won’t say I loved the powerup system of bf1/3, but I will say I hate the BP system. It’s just another way for people who are already good at the game to get further advantages over people who are worse at it, and the game has a fair amount of that already. Hell yeah let the fuckin gosu who’s been playing since beta turn into darth Vader, that’s more fun for everyone

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

How should it work then?

It’s a tricky balance for sure; maybe periodically the game decides “it’s time for a hero to spawn” and players who are interested can press a button to roll for the chance to play as them.

It could even be based on how the teams are performing, to give a team that’s getting trounced a chance to make a comeback. I’m just sick of this current trend where skilled and experienced players are rewarded with even more material advantages over people who are still learning or are just naturally less talented. I didn’t love power ups but going back to it would still be an improvement imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think ultimately what im learning about the game is that I should just play blast mode

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I think the point system works well for starfighter assault. If the game is long enough, everyone will get 1-2 chances to play the hero. Plus there's random bots you can shoot down for points.

Maybe GA needs mooks for easy points for everyone.

I’d love it if you could just do full on bot matches on the GA maps. The maps, for any other faults, are extremely cool looking and it’d be neat to see what they’re like when you’re not rubberbanding, getting headshot from across the map, and getting double-teamed by lightsabers

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is that it’s a “win more” system.

I propose a “por que no los dos” system - if one team has more heroes out than the other there is a chance for a token to spawn.

Maybe give the losing team a BP multiplier to give them a chance to even the odds?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love that scene in a new hope, when the rebellion is effortlessly wrecking the Death Star, and then Luke and Han show up to mop up a little quicker. That’s the spirit that of Star Wars that bf2 should aspire to capture

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can’t aim for poo poo in 3rd. Or 1st really but I still use it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve never scored a kill with the turret but I have been killed BY my own turret when someone exploded it next to me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

If you coordinate explosives you can murder any hero.

Unfortunately the key word there is coordination, everyone wants to run into light sabers like lemmings.

I appreciate the game trying to trick people into working together with the new squad spawn system (which is good and I like it a lot) but invariably my squad ends up running in two different directions while one person hangs out in the back of the map to snipe at the scenery and I’m left swearing at my monitor

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

The squad system is a deep and intricate mechanic in which the player receives a 2x point multiplier at seemingly random times which no human being on this planet can predict.

This includes when you are flying and all squad mates are on the ground.

I don’t care so much about the point multiplier so much as I like how it immediately spawns you with a small group of people at the same time. It’s just annoying that nobody actually sticks together at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Skoll posted:

Everyone loves to make a massive deal out of the few edge cases they've seen in online gaming with shitheads over voice chat or text. In 20 years I've seen people in competitive games work together more often than not with voice because guess what, everyone wants to win.

But yeah, everyone is racist and terrible and we should never be allowed to communicate with other players ever.

I encourage you to spend a full 5 seconds in a match of PUBG and then tell me that gamers are not racist and terrible

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Guys guys, if you're that concerned about toxic players in chat, simply find a server with a community that you like, add it to your favorites and develop a sense of comradery with other players.

Lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Is this game worth it if I never intend to touch MP?

Not for $60, no. The campaign is neat and a fun pew pew star wars romp (with a fairly awful story and some inexplicable cameos) but it's maybe 5-7 hours long. There's also an arcade mode which is just short plotless battles against enemies where you play as a hero or a trooper against a handful of bots. There's no way to do bot matches on any of the bigger MP maps or the starfighter mode.

Buy it on a sale, or rent it if you're on console, but don't pay full price for it. Not even for drunk billy dee williams

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can we please go back to complaining about the bad star wars game, please

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Tell me how to be a better Heavy. I'd love to be the guy that can bust open a room with explosions, lock down hallways with lasers and send dozens of enemy dudes on complimentary trips to the bullet dimension, but the piddly marshmallow launcher of a starting gun and even weaker chaingun feel so incredibly bad. Do I just need to stay within ~25 yards or less of the enemy due to fire spread and abuse impact grenades?

The chaingun's not that bad, is it? I've found it to be pretty powerful, assuming you manage to get yourself into an engagement that allows you to properly use it, which is....fairly hard, but once you're in it, you're kind of a long range powerhouse. It's accurate and deadly with sustained fire, your main weakness is snipers and people hiding from you until your time runs out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cerebral posted:

I'm left asking myself, "Why am I playing this game if I hate it?" and the only answer that I have is, "Because I love Star Wars." This game is making me hate Star Wars.

I tried really hard to like this game but I just can't do it, I uninstalled. I tried every game mode and they all just made me mad

I should print out my receipt from buying this game and frame it as a lesson for the future

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Its weird to me how star wars pushes merchandising so much now they end up spoiling half the movie before its done.

Like there were Finn and Rey and Poe toys before The Force Awakens was even out. People were cosplaying the new characters before they even knew who the new characters were.

Like I'm a huge star wars nerd, I think its totally cool if you wanna dress up like Luke or Leia. But like, watch the film first? Maybe that character is kinda lame or something. It seems so weird to me that the merchandizing hype begins before the movie's even out.

So like, now I know what one of the planets in Last Jedi is gonna look like, that's kinda weird. Same way BF1 kinda spoiled Jakku before the film was out. This seems like a bad thing to me? I guess I'm in the minority though, nobody else seems to think its weird.

I think it’s weird too and I don’t love it, but I also don’t care about it that much

I’m kind of impressed that not only are they doing more campaign content, but they’re releasing it so soon. I assumed it’d be call of duty situation where it’s like “here’s your campaign idiots now shut up and buy multiplayer dlc”. Kinda cool

I still want bot matches for GA and star fighter though. How hard could it be

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is this the only new campaign stuff they’re planning to tag on, or have they said they’re going to do more with future dlcs? It’d be neat if they did; barring a total do-over of the progression system, the mp in this game is just frustration to me and will never be fun no matter how many maps they add for me to die on, or how many new heroes they put in for other players to use and run circles around me, it’d be cool to have something new to do in this game I impulse bought at full price

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

the crafting level requirements and cards being genuine upgrades not sidegrades still is a bad layer of kruft on what should be an amazing game.

This is what ruins the game for me. It’s bad enough that I’m now probably too old to be good at competitive FPS games but the fact that all the young uns also have better guns and better gear in addition to just plain being better at the game creates a really unfun situation.

I haven’t even unlocked past the first tier of guns yet. It’s cool that in order to get a useful gun, you have to get 50 kills with your pea shooter, competing with not just enemies that outgear you, but heavily geared teammates that will steal your kills

There’s a good game underneath the stuff I hate, but there’s a lot of stuff, and I hate it a lot

So, potential purchasers, if you’re anything like me, take heed

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

reagan posted:

Was really hoping for more arcade content with this patch. More maps, more modes, and especially starfighter combat. Only then would I re-purchase the game after I refunded the pre-order.

Funny thing to note - they didn't take away my pre-order bonus crates. lmao They should institute an ingame market where I can sell them for mad cash.

I’d come back and dick around if they added the GA and SA maps into arcade mode, because they’re extremely cool when you aren’t being murdered instantly (so, never). But I’m not holding my breath, that kind of thing hasn’t been in a battlefield game for a while, I don’t think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wow. [spoilers]can't believe rey is actually iden and del's daughter[/spoiler]

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s possible that this game gets good once you start to get the good weapons and cards but I’ll never know because the grind to get there is intolerable

Even if the game does get good after you invest the 20 hours of misery or whatever that’s required to get there, that’s the description of a bad game, not a good one

The best thing I can say about this game is that it inspires me to reinstall bf2005, which I’m having more fun with playing against bots than I am against humans in this one

I reinstalled bf2017 to check out the new campaign dlc and get my free heroes because why not, I already bought the game, and I’m delighted to see I can still pick my side in the faction battle even though I can already see who won

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It was a little underwhelming yeah. And I don’t wanna go back and check but I’m pretty sure there’s a line where iden’s va straight up stutters on one of the words but they just kept it in and used the take anyway

At least it was free and had fighter segments, I guess. Hopefully they do more, and they’re better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Same except shriv