Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So uh. I'm in an interesting situation.

I got my parents really, really into boardgaming. Like it started with light poo poo like Code Names, then Carcassone, then they got the bug hard and we've been doing Suburbia, Concordia, Tzolk'in and both seasons of Pandemic Legacy. Like once a month my girlfriend and I visit and we spend a weekend day drinking and my mom and I cook and we play for like 10 hours. It owns and I'm very lucky.

My mom just bought Gloomhaven.

They're smart people (we have 2+ PhD's between the four of us) but I'm loving intimidated. Any like, intros or advice on this? Maybe some play aids? This game kind of hurt my head the one time I played it and with two people North of 60 years old... Yeah.

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I read the hell out of the OP, sorry I wasn't clear.

The part I'm worried about is teaching the game. And no way in hell they're gonna watch a 20+ minute video for the rules.

They're very smart people but, you know, old and set in their ways. I remember when I taught them Sushi Go! it was a solid 20 minutes of them angrily not listening to me before they understood how drafting works. I'm basically just looking for advice on how to get them to understand the game in the way that will be least frustrating to me.

At a guess, my mom's gonna pick tinkerer or mindthief cause she likes buffing/she's already pretty psyched about psychic rat lady, my dad'll do spellweaver cause he's a nerd and it's fiddly and my girlfriend will do scoundrel because she's selfish and likes treasure. I'll probably do brute to round things out and also it looks simple enough that I can help the olds with their turns while still being effective. Does that sound insane? I'm just going based off of knowing people's habits.

Like I'm sure they'll get it and have fun, but I foresee a loving rocky first 2 hours.

Also, what's the consensus on the best app to manage overhead? The one in the OP is iOS adverse and I'd prefer to do this on my iPad to save table space, but I could run something on my laptop if that really is better.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fair, but I'm praying that doesn't happen cause I personally hate playing support characters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Use Gloomhaven Helper. It owns.

Watch the stupid 25 minute video. Ideally watch it together with the whole group.

Your parents are going to hate this game if Sushi Go was too much for them.

They are never going to watch that. Ever. I did, but it doesn't help. (Or well it obviously does since I know the rules better but you know what I mean.)

They had initial problems but cottoned to it fine after a bit. It's more that they can be hard to come around to new ideas than they're actually not following things.

Thanks to all the ideas! I'll see how this goes and probably be doing annoying questions.

Elderly parents who like board games are a weird fate. On the one hand I've never been happier but on the other hand jesus christ the rules explanations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm too lazy to quote myself but I'm the rando who's gonna play this with their parents and it's looking shockingly less scary and seems to work?

I read the rulebook cover to cover twice and watched the RTFM video and got my girlfriend to watch it too. My parents have the actual game because gently caress traveling with that for 2 hours and it was my mom's idea, so my dad photocopied the back with the reference sheets, which ended up with him reading (some of) the rules too.

I got the app loaded up and I think good to go. (Anything I should be worried about? It seems good.)

Me and my girlfriend can kind of just DM the road card and poo poo, (we're customizing equipment ; we're not telling the olds that's a thing yet, they get the basics). My dad adorably already did the math out on the Spellweaver's refreshing. (He's a math prof)

So we're going up Friday, I'm gonna set up the scenario in advance, then my mom comes home with Indian food and I'll explain the rules while we eat. Then we're gonna play and drink cocktails for several hours.

As I predicted we're me as Brute, girlfriend as Scoundrel, dad as Spellweaver and mom as Tinkerer. So I think we're well balanced. And my laptop will be keeping track of elements and monsters and poo poo to help.

Am I missing anything? This sounds like it's going to be the best thing ever or loving terrible, but I'm leaning positive.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Wait. I lied.

I don't understand the OS of Gloomhaven Helper like at all.

I got it confused with the thing I saw on a Shut Up and Sit Down video. I believe this is useful but what. I'm reading through the documentation and I'm totally lost. I have a god drat PhD for gently caress's sake. I can't even set the initiatives. I just want something to keep track of monsters and elements.

Help?

Edit : Or I could figure that out like 10 seconds later after loving around. Sorry. But still any help is cool and good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Game was a huge success and everyone loved it! Mild teething problems but a really good experience over all.

Ironically I was the one who hosed up and got the poo poo kicked out of me early in the game cause I was futzing in the app/with rules, so I had to burn so many cards I basically just did a nova opening the last room with my last two cards and then just sat out and did admin.

I admit having to be a bit of a Nazi about “discard” being distinct from “lost” and no dad you can’t use those as synonyms. Stop.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

This is technically a spoiler but I honestly don't care and I highly doubt it matters, I'm just curious :

Are there ever any items that cost less than 10 moneys? A number not a multiple of 10? A number not a multiple of 5?

I'm just going by what I've seen so far (and am vaguely remembering, gently caress opening the box to check), and they all seem to cost like 10, 20, 30, etc. If this would somehow be a spoiler about the axe at prosperity level 5 that costs 36.5, and that would...somehow change my play experience, feel free to use your discretion on how much you say. I'm just kind of curious and I don't see how someone saying, "Yes, there is a thing that costs 7 moneys," is going to mess me up.

Unconnected :

So I have the day off tomorrow and am by myself with the box so I'm going to attempt to finish doing all the random punching out (e.g. we didn't punch out giant demons we knew we wouldn't face for a bit yet), and then trying to organize this beast. We're not springing for an organizer so I'm making this up as I go along.

Any tips or ideas? I punched out all the maps tiles and put them in an alphabetized smoosh so far, then I was gonna put all the standees of the same kinds into separate little baggies. Anything else I'm missing?

We're also playing with the Gloomhaven Helper but it kind of has to live on my side of the table so I can operate it, so I was gonna put the status effects in a separate little baggy to be dumped into a pile and then applied just as a visual-aid to help players plan things while the app does the actual book-keeping. (It's a big board and no matter how I turned the laptop it was hard for people far see how much health a given bandit or whatever had and people far from the laptop ended up keeping a scratch-sheet like we were playing 80's D&D lol.) Thoughts? Caveats? Warnings?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Update on playing with olds :

So we visited my parents last weekend and ended up playing Gloomhaven for a solid 9 hours. Three scenarios.

It really finally clicked for everyone and now they're making synergies and understand the deck mechanic. My dad's Spellweaver crapped out towards the end of the Inox Encampment due to not managing his cards perfectly, but that scenario was also kind of a slog. (Four players meant 20 enemies to kill so by around # 17 we were just going ffffuuuck we have like 4 cards left can we even get to another room to kill dudes.) It ended with me exhausting to spend my last two cards as a Brute to Move 6 and just barely kill #20 with a Spare Dagger that only just barely had line of sight. Spare Dagger is apparently just loving lucky ; it's killed the last dude in all three scenarios.

Also either I'm misreading how XP work or it's way too loving easy to level up as the Brute. I have all these +XP cards that aren't on a loss so I just keep spamming them and wind up with something insane like 25 XP at the end of the scenario. I'm already at level 7. Surely I'm doing something wrong, right?

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 11, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ah okay. That’s it. I thought it was multiplicative like coins. No wonder this is insane. Whoops!

Thoughts on how to walk it back? We’ve all been doing this, I’m just the most egregious abuser.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m new in the thread and being hyper cautious.

:shrug:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

That was my nice way of asking you to spoiler stuff in your post, could you edit it please?

The spoiler tags in my quote were put there by me.

Whooooooooooops.

I certainly intended to spoiler that, hence my clueless, stupid response.

Edited now! Sorry!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is there some kind of non-spoilered list of scenarios that are boring/unfun slogs to play through?

I haven't had anything but good experiences yet with this game, but considering how much effort there is in getting it to the table, a lovely scenario could be super frustrating.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We're pretty well balanced (Brute/Mindthief/Tinkerer/Spellweaver) so I'm not too worried about that, and I'm not too too worried about the morale hit from just getting hosed over by the RNG since that's the name of the game. (Although I will say my dad's face when he got the null card as an attack draw twice in a row was loving priceless ; watching a 60 something math professor getting hosed by probability in real time, going into the other room to get a whiskey and then being like, "No this loving skeleton is going down, drat it!*", is a thing everyone should see in their lives.)

I meant more like how everyone talks about oozes being annoying and frustrating and it sounds like they generally just suck to fight (from what I've skimmed, trying to not spoil myself too hard). As in, not in a difficult, Dark Souls-style fight that's hard but beatable, but just boring and makes you angry sort of way.

*Was probably not a skeleton ; the actual monster type has been avoided from being spoiled because I can't remember what it was.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

For one of the classes triforce, "Make big AoE to get lots of deck flips" is a required tactic.

Can you expand on this? I haven’t played that class and I’m curious. (I don’t give a poo poo about spoiling game mechanics. )

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So after an epic 9 hour session of 4 games, my beloved Brute, Beef McLargehuge has retired. (I did the personal quest about getting a poo poo ton of items and going into three spears so it was pretty quick with some planning ahead.

I feel kind of obligated to try three spears since it’s my group’s first unlock but from my skim of the cards I’m really not super into it.

Spoilers of like the first impressions from looking at its cards :

It just seems really support and item based, which is cool but not really in keeping with my more manic, run-and-gun style of play that I think is more fun for me personally to do (not knocking people who like support classes or saying they aren’t good ; I think real life medical doctors are amazing and vital, but that doesn’t make me want to be one).

Am I off base in my super shallow read of the class?

I think scoundrel or cragheart might be more my jam. Anyone wanna talk to me about three spears in general or in specific how I’m right or wrong?

Finally taking out two bears at full health in one turn feels great, cause gently caress bears. They were a pain in like 3 scenarios, especially elite bears. I’m only not spoiling this cause, well, they’re bears, you’d expect fighting them to suck. I just really hate bears now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We’re at prosperity 3 with everyone else around 7th level.

What’s the infinite loop? I wouldn’t use it but I find that poo poo hilarious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is that where that is?

My group knows it's a thing and wants it, but we've just been flailing about not knowing how to unlock it. Are we just dumb?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I just bothered to fight through Mount Cardboard to pull out the scenario book, and holy poo poo we've had that location unlocked forever and have always just gone elsewhere cause it looked both kind of scary but also boring.

Well I'll have to awkwardly signal that we should go there next session because reasons.

Thanks!

Still can't decide if I want to come back as a three spears or a cragheart next time. The current vibe is that my group will miss me being Captain Tank.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah I really miss my Brute. I loved that play-style. Which unlockable classes are closest, just so I keep an eye out for the future?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

:stare:

As someone who just guzzled being a 4e D&D brawler fighter, I apparently need to get access to sun as quickly as humanly possible.

:stare:

Christ that sounds awesome. Thanks!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Sun: In addition, if you can make it to level 9, the class has a card that allows you to take damage that other characters would instead of them.

I know this isn't great forums posting but I can only respond to this with :

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a big group so this sounds amazing. drat that sounds good. I'm gonna unlock that poo poo and cast the mini in bronze. drat!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dumb like broken and will make everyone else unhappy or dumb like the cotton-candy dreams those descriptions gave me?

Edit O no this was an awful snipe. Uh. Cultists suck. Those guys are annoying as gently caress. Talk about that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

fffffuck wind demons

How did you know about my tattoo?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

How do y’all organize the overlay terrain tiles so set-up doesn’t take a million years?

I’ve been making up my own system as I go which currently takes the form of a big rear end alphabetized accordion folder filled with labeled baggies. This works great for monsters and the big terrain tiles (e.g. Cave Bears and tile C1b and cultists all live in their little bags in folder “C”), but some of the overlay tiles I have no idea how to sort. Like the various doors and walls and bookcases are easy, but I have no idea what to do with the reversible tiles that aren’t systematic.

Do even the fancy wooden tray systems have a solution to this?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Our house-rule is after a certain point we could definitely win the scenario, we spend five minutes discussing how we could reasonably snap up coins/treasure tiles/whatever because keeping one enemy alive to loot poo poo is optimal but boring to play. If there’s a treasure tile four rooms away that’s probably not happening, but gently caress spending a half our of real time dicking around doing loot actions.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It costs money but is worth it and it’s not like the dude is making mad bank, it basically just pays to keep it on the App Store. (And if the dude makes some money off of it, I’m pretty okay with him having my 3$ considering how much it helps. I’ve never even opened the monster cards in our box.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I got to try my shiny new sun today with some enhancements and just wow, you guys weren’t kidding. :stare:

Having a high shield and a high retaliate always on is really amazing. I just roll into rooms like a sun-shiny god of unforgiving death. It’s amazing. The best was just plopping myself right smack in the middle of a bunch of rending drakes just as they pulled a card to do three weak attacks in a row. They all killed themselves bashing themselves against me before I got to attack. Plus handing out bless like it’s candy feels great.

We just got two new retirements too so it looks like we’re gonna be rolling sun, three spears, two minis and music note next weekend. I’m assuming that’s pretty good? We’re gonna grab a case of beer, cook ahead during the week and just play all next weekend. Hells yeah.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

uh as a sun lover who doesn’t care about spoilers, what is an item 124 and how do I get it?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If we're asking Spellweaver advice :

My dad took an age to retire from Spellweaver so he really internalized it, but now he's playing two minis. Is there like a guide I could get him to read? He'd read it. That's not the problem.

Currently the problem is reminding him that not all his cards are lost when he plays them and no you don't have reviving ether anymore, no stop, things can change. He literally played Spellweaver for so long he forgot he had a discard pile.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sweet tap dancing jesus you guys weren’t kidding about sun, music note, two minis and three spears being sick nasty good. We just played a couple scenarios with it and we were basically unstoppable dark gods. We just finished doing #19 ,The Forgotten Crypt where it’s an escort mission with Hail, and at one point we literally used my sun to just straight up plug a door and stop all the monster from coming along. And it was honestly kind of boring since having poo poo tons of shield and retaliate meant it was just monsters killing themselves on me. I started to feel bad for the monsters after a while.

Also the player of music note showed up with a lovely paper hat they made with fake paper feather “plumes” and it was hilarious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m actively avoiding retirement so at intervals I just tell my group “Nope, we can’t do that. I’m not done yet.”

Especially now that we have a music note. She plays the song that ups retaliate and then with my own poo poo and a spiked shield and on and on and it just gets insane. With everyone buffing me and all gear I think I once got up to something insane like shield 9/retaliate 13.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Various commentary and questions for the thread :

My sun retired. Pretty sad about this but now I'm rolling a scoundrel with the personal quest of exhaust 15 times, and those combined lead to some absolutely frenetic and hilarious play. "O poo poo? Is the game almost over? Time to start vomiting loss cards to do a poo poo ton of damage while also trying to get hit. It's like being a suicidal glass canon. I don't even think that's really optimal but it's very, very fun. Any scoundrel tips or tricks are welcome.

Then a few actual questions that I don't want full on spoilers for necessarily but my group is being slightly wheel-spinny so a nudge in the right directions would be cool :

1) Our three spear's goal is to fight 4 boss fights and we are just plumb out of them right now. She started this character after we'd already done a bunch, but so far we've beaten the bandit dude in the second scenario, murdered Jekserah, killed the Drake, fought the Colorless and also whatever the big Satan dude is called. Can you push me towards where I'd find more?

2) I think we lost the plot? There's still many more scenarios to do, but all the ones we have seem to not be building to anything and are just side-quests. We killed Jekserah, freed The Voice, killed the Drake, closed the rift and I think we did something with the Gloom but I actually forget (sessions tend to involve day drinking and then I do the admin later, which very probably has lead to errors) . Again, just a refresher in case I missed some plot-threads or nudges back in the direction of the plot would be cool.

3) Our city and road events are getting really same-y, is this normal? Like, there's still a big ol' stack of them unused to be added, but we've only been prompted to add like 5 between both decks. Are we missing content, or am I just being dumb?

4) In a vaguely similar nature to (1) above, how many "crypt" scenarios are there?

I can post the actual list of poo poo we did, but I don't know if people would actually want to read it and hoo boy would that involve some typing and staring at the map board.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O poo poo, no I did not remember that. Thanks!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I try to not pay attention to what monsters are where or whatever, but sorry, you're insane if you actually do all the terrain for every room as you go. Much better to just get all the spike pits and poo poo on the table and not have to worry about it. Yes, this means we know what room has a treasure chest but jesus christ this game takes long enough to set up, and that's after we put everything in little baggies in an alphabetized accordion folder.

If you sincerely care enough about the surprise to come up with a workaround, I salute you and wish you the best of luck and all happiness, but you're insane.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The stickers stay on the card forever and the next person just gets better cards, from my understanding.

Unconnected, but the seeker of Xorn goal or whatever it's called is both cool and loving bullshit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poo poo double post but I've been meaning to ask and I just remembered :

What are the specific differences between jumping and flying? I knew that landing with a jump in difficult terrain cost extra movement as normal, but then I reread that flying can land on obstacles? Are there other differences I'm forgetting? If someone flies onto a bookcase or whatever, can people in adjacent hexes melee attack them?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So a flying move could actually end in a trap and not trigger it?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Am I the crazy one? Does everyone else but me have this seemingly magical ability to voluntarily shut off parts of their brain? I literally can't do this.

I'm at least in the same camp as you. Maybe either us or the other people have some kind of learned skill that would explain this? I see you over in SAL a decent amount, so maybe us both being academics means something? I'm just making up random hypotheses though. Like, I can go so far as to not try to pay attention to how many monsters there are in a room for a given player-count, but I can't help but notice/memorize "this room has a poo poo-ton of rending drakes, lots of coins, at least 3 traps and a treasure chest" ; doing otherwise would be like trying to forget the number 7. We set up the rooms with the overlay tiles and stuff and then just try our best to forget where the monsters are (beer helps).

(Also sorry to the person I called crazy last time this came up. I didn't mean anything insulting by it and was just trying to emphasize how differently our brains work. Meant to apologize earlier but then I got busy and it's been a while so I forgot who it even was.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We’re debating some kind of houserule to allow “levels 10+”, where, say, every 100XP after 9th level you can go back and acquire older cards you passed on. But that’s only because 1) we went a little crazy boosting prosperity meaning people start pretty high level and 2) we often concentrate more on exploring the characters and forget to advance personal quests, meaning someone is at level 9 and suddenly remembers they need to kill 20 dire tapirs to retire or whatever*, so they’re spinning their wheels at level 9 forever and they stop caring about XP at all.

*Silly fake goal to not spoil anything.