Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
please be good

Please don't be poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That

Okay sure okay fine okay sure

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay ignoring that the music is kind of annoying

That's not how the First Doctor would react to seeing a future version of himself.

He'd immediately be jumping down Capaldi's throat about how his hair was and the clothes he was wearing and his eyebrows.

For the love of Christ we KNOW how the First Doctor responds to future iterations of himself- casual insulting dismissal!

"So you two are my replacements are you? A dandy and a clown!"

is one of my favorite lines in all of Doctor Who.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just

Okay let me make this clear. The actor is fine. He's great. He plays the role in a fundamentally different way but, like JaKiri just pointed out, dude is nearly 20 years older than Hartnel was when he took the role. Of course he's going to be a bit slower in delivery.

It's the writing that I'm talking about here. This is not the First Doctor. I don't know WHAT Moffat is going for here, but this is not how the First Doctor acts.

The First Doctor is all about using understated comments to great effect, and while he had a sense of humor it wasn't anything like this.

Honestly given the look of the TARDIS and Capaldi's demeanor, I would imagine the first doctor would compare him to an excited teenager

It's yet another actor being let down by the writing. But

Hopefully it'll get better?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why would the Doctor be sexist

Literally why

He was never written to be sexist. He has always been a flawed character but sexism was never SUPPOSED to be one of those flaws

It would creep in because of societal norms, but for the love of Christ Verity Lambert had a huge hand in the First Doctor's character and portrayal

*WHY* would you want to do this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Master is presented as sexist IN THE CONTEXT OF THE SHOW because he's an awful monster and murderer

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS WITH THE DOCTOR AND ESPECIALLY WITH THE DOCTOR WHO IS KIND OF FAMOUS FOR HAVING A WOMAN SHOW RUNNER WHICH IS STILL loving RARE YOU PIECE OF poo poo HACK

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That

Better not be in the actual episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I was holding out hope, but if those lines are in it, there really will be nothing to excuse most of them. That last one in particular, Christ. Like, bad no matter what, but if it's Polly and Ben One, it's supposed to be him after he's already evolved a bunch. I hope none of those are in the episode.

The dusting and spring cleaning ones are the only ones that even border on acceptable.

Even those read like something the First Doctor would say TO a sexist rear end in a top hat in a mocking way

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's because it's not.

That's a stupid person's idea of what a sexist 1960s man would say to an uppity child.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Again, the worst aspects of the Doctor was a reflection of his WRITERS, not his character.

His character he would have no reason to be sexist or appalled at a bisexual/lesbian woman because why would he?

This is just

loving Christ I hope this isn't in there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For what REASON would you have that on Doctor Who

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I forgot this thread existed and just caught up on it.

Holy poo poo I wish I hadn't done that.

Yeah it's

Not looking great

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted good Doctor Who

And the worst thing is that a lot of the worst kind of nerds are going to blame the quality on the new Doctor rather than the one actually responsible

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main hope, I think, is that since India and Britain have a far more

Personal

History

They'll know better than to gently caress it up.

Rosa Parks and the American Civil Rights stuff? That's about as in their wheel house as the Russian Revolution

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where are the Dalek pics?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like it if we could have a slightly modern design with the classic's intention- that being the different classes of Daleks have different colors and markings. It makes them feel like an actual species and not just Random Monsters

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

They did that with the Paradigm Daleks

I mean, that's what they tried to do

But those things flopped so hard that we only got, what, one of them back again? And massively recolored to boot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Also, no 2 parters

I

Mm

Mmmm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So with Chibs saying No Daleks

Does that mean he's lying, or that the things people thought were Daleks in the leaked footage weren't?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, we could use a break from most of the classic Who villains and I'm never worried about a break from two-parters. If anything, this hopefully means they aren't doing that thing that was rumored in which the over-arching plot is the Doctor being in three different eras.

I'm just

Thinking of the Power of Three

that really needed to be a two parter...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's

Not the entire set right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3r8KN17wP0

The reason why this works so well is that these heroes are artificially jacked up with 1950s Bullshit, and aren't how they REALLY are

And Green Lantern BARELY tolerates that regardless

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No way is it going to be a Dalek

Those things haven't been scary since

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really would like it to be a Dalek, but with how poorly they've been treated since

Dalek

I don't know if I'd believe the Doctor calling them the most dangerous thing in the universe

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay Chib

Please get this right. Daleks are pretty much the most important enemy to get right in Doctor Who.

Every Doctor needs one good encounter with them.

Twelve will get one in Big Finish, I'm sure.

Please Chib, do this right

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

12 has been inside one already and also there's that entire thing where Davros brought him to Skarro.

Let's see

One is a terrible rehash of a much better episode that never pays off in any meaningful way

The other is more just an excuse to talk to Davros and has almost nothing to do with the Daleks themselves, and is a pretty lovely episode all the way around.

No, no, I think 12 deserves a teeny bit better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Daleks are THE time to show the best of the Doctor.

I'm in, let's go.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Man, I sort of think the Daleks are silly and hard to make scary, but this is weirdly true! Some of the big defining moments for One, Two, Four, Six, Nine, Ten and Twelve are all Dalek or Davros related.

It's easy to forget after the poo poo they've been in, but the Daleks are a terrifying enemy.

When they're done right, they're smart, cunning, tenacious and most of all, determined. They share a lot of qualities with the Doctor, which the show has pointed out even in some of the more dire moments of Dalek appearances.

Because the core of the Dalek and the core of the Doctor are polar opposites. Where the Doctor, deep down, is a kind person, a person who wants the best for others, the Daleks are not. They are fascism made flesh. They are hate mongers, xenophobic, and horrifically amoral. Other races are at best slaves, otherwise killed on the spot.

But they have all of those traits above as well- it's why they rose up from being stuck on a dead planet in one city, to being able to wage a war across all of time and space with beings that have transcended death itself, and they were WINNING.

You go back and try to stop them from ever being made, and this is their goddamn response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjt3YFHJ17I

There's a lot wrong with the first Dalek episode of RTD's run, mostly due to the absurd jackass in it. But the Dalek and its relationship with the Doctor is absolutely spot on.

And they've earned that place in Who, both in universe and out. We wouldn't have Doctor Who without the Daleks.

So Chibsters, please. Don't gently caress this up. Doctor V Dalek is the prime time spot to show off your poo poo.

Because much like that above perfectly sums up the Daleks as a whole- gently caress Davros for the record-

This sums up the Doctor and her motivations at their core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVG3XuOU5g

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fandoms are a horrible mistake

Shame we live in a paradox where we can never escape them

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

i already knew, that's kind of stretching the

gently caress, i didn

GOD drat IT PEOPLE WHAT DID I JUST SAY

(The answer is that Mike isn't as bad as that makes it sound and Joel hasn't ever commented on his politics that I'm aware of, but has always held extremely leftist, Hippie views. Like if Mr. Rogers smoked pot)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

I also don’t like any of her theater riffs thus far because none of them have landed.

Now you're Mr. Cabinet might be one of my favorite off the cuff riffs from season 11, so I can't agree

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone is going to,especially now adays, actually try and say Hartnell wasn't the first incarnation of the Doctor. Maybe back in Tom's era that was more plausible, but now it'd be downright disrespectful to the man and what he did.

And anything that makes the Doctor super special awesome from birth is inherently stupid and wrong

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are Daleks just slotted for specials now?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thrawn527 posted:

Oh poo poo, do I not like Doctor Who now? drat.

Jodie has been great. Really great. But this revelation and upcoming plot is just...bad. But I don’t want to be on the same side as the online assholes who say “Doctor Who is dead now!” What do I do?

As someone who's had to deal with VERY similar poo poo, just grumble to yourself and make sure to make why you dislike the thing VERY CLEAR so that you don't get lumped in with those gently caress offs.

As someone who has disliked where Disney has been going since 2009, trust me, it's the only way to stay sane.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

The proper version of the recon Dalek. Still looks terrible.

Oh.

I was hoping since this wasn't going to be a ramshackle Dalek we'd get something a little more classic. That just kind of looks unfinished

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

The RTD-era design really nailed modern Dalek, didn't it?

The only 'bad' thing is that they're short and the colors are boring compared to the old designs

But them being short is great and adds character and they've never been able to get a good grasp on color anyways

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

J33uk posted:

Well that's us down to 1 companion again (Or is it, Captain Jack + Yas for 8 episodes anyone?)

What happened

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want Jodie to come back so she can have at least one special written by someone who isn't Chibnal

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

You cannot bring back the Toymaker. "Celestial" was literally used as a synonym for "oriental". The character is right up there with all the other racist dog poo poo like Weng Chiang and that mute black strongman from the bad old days.

You *shouldn't* bring back the Toymaker.

That doesn't mean they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To clear up a disconnect I think people are having

If today, in 2022, any media property in the world other than Doctor Who wanted to introduce a brand new character called the Celestial Toymaker, they could without anyone giving a poo poo. Wouldn't matter. Non issue.

If Doctor Who wanted to, they could introduce the Celestial Emperor, king of space or something, and people would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Celestial Toymaker IN Doctor Who just means that they're bringing back an old racist thing they did and reminding everyone that they did a racist thing once. It's tied hand in hand with racism.

You could have any number of combinations of meaning to the term Celestial Toymaker- you could have it be an actual Chinese toy maker from the Celestial Empire era, you could have it be a cosmic toymaker, you could do ANY number of things and it wouldn't be racist. The name Celestial Toymaker is not racist, Celestial is not racist. It is not a slur.

But specifically and uniquely in Doctor Who it is, because they tied it to a white guy dressed up as a chinese caricature who spouted racist bullshit. It's like trying to make a book about HP Lovecraft's cat. It doesn't super matter *what* you do with that premise, sure in any other context you could make it not racist, but this specific thing IS tied to racism.

EDIT: But I also want to add

Not everyone is or should be inclined to be against this. You don't have to care that they're making a racist thing not racist anymore and trying to modernize it so that it's not racist. But this is why people DO care.

If you can put aside that it is a racist thing that's trying to scrub clean that history and be something fresh, that's your call. Others will not. That's where the ultimate argument comes down to and it's pretty subjective.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 14, 2022