Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If Bird gets hurt again, is it crazy to get Sanchez some practice at first? Dude just doesn't seem like a natural behind the plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Paul Zuvella posted:

while this season is going just about as good as I could have ever imagined, Brett Gardner quietly looks extremely cooked and it makes me very sad.

He's getting on base at least, but it seems like he's more comfortable fouling off hittable pitches than he is putting them in play.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Pretty impressive win. The late game heroics can't be something you rely upon long term, but it's fun as poo poo.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This lineup can save bad pitching. Once their bullpen gets back to full strength and Sonny Gray remembers how to pitch, we'll get back to 7-3 games.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
It's my fault. I picked him high in fantasy.

But this really makes no sense unless he's injured or has had like conjunctivitis all year.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I just don't see him catching for his entire career. Not sure why they didn't consider him at first with Bird out and Romine turning into Piazza but better last month.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
mcmagic is the guy in yankeefans.gif. Doesn't matter which guy.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
At this point I almost feel bad for Mariners fans.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

Why? They have a mediocre team that is 17 games over 500....

Because it's officially summer and they're about to crash back to earth. Like always.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
They say he's got a great eye, but that doesn't matter when the entire league knows you have a hole in your swing and just shoots fastballs right by you.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Sonny Gray is Jeff Weaver reborn.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
At this point I'd take it. Inconsistent is better than consistently terrible.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Lumpy posted:

But since Triples are harder to hit than HRs, does this mean Triples are better than dingers? If so, would we even want to live in that world?

Triples ARE pretty cool.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I had a groin injury playing softball this year. Couldn't imagine catching with that poo poo. They had to park me at first for half the season. Any lateral movement was an exercise in pain.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Kim Jong Il posted:

Happ is a 4th starter and will pitch to a 4.5 ERA the rest of the season.

I'll take that out of a lefty the team won't need next year. Gives you more options with the Gray/German/Lasagna trio and a 4.5 era should get enough run support with this lineup.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Giving up Austin doesn't break my heart but I wish they could have kept Warren in addition to bringing Lynn on. Having two guys who can spot start and go long would have been nice especially heading into August and September.

The upside is Warren is a double agent and will suck with the Mariners.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I'm texting with my dad now. With Cueto done for the next year, does Bumgarner become an option? He's cheap (7/46 expiring next year but with a team option) and turns 29 in a couple days. Could they give up Sheffield+ and land him if the Giants are giving up, or am I high off hot stove fumes?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
CC needs a couple starts off to rest his weary fat man bones. Then he'll come back and roll through the rest of the year.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

ihatepants posted:

Yankees have just not been a good team for the last month plus. The offense has finally been doing pretty good recently, but now the pitching loving sucks.

I think this is recompense for May, where everything clicked.

Ultimately the starting pitching just doesn't compare to Boston and certainly not Houston. The bullpen is coming back to earth a little and the young guys are having summer struggles. The former is more of a long-term problem than the latter.

They're frustrating to watch right now because they don't seem to have focus. I don't care that they're losing to Boston so much as that what's going to put them into the wild card game is that they can't beat Baltimore. God I'm mcmagic's alt account.

From the outside looking in, the fact they're losing to bad teams seems like they don't have someone that's really leading the team from the execution angle. But with Gardner and CC that doesn't seem like it'd be the case.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Fair.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If it is, I will wish we hit it on July 28 so we could have done something at the deadline.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This team is much better than how they're playing right now. They seem to be lacking leadership. I don't really put that on Boone as much as Cashman. Most winning teams have a veteran or two that pushes focus onto the young guys in ways that coaches can't. The '90s Yankees lucked out in that they had that in Posada, who probably picked it up from Girardi. You'd think Gardner and CC would provide that, but who knows. They are clearly missing someone forcing intensity on the other players.

I have no clue if this is true but I think we're all grasping here.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The tax avoidance this year makes sense from a business standpoint, especially with who's available next year. Tack that onto the young talent and it's a good long move. The real issue is the tax in the first place.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Miguel Candujar.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Sonny Gray: Elite Closer

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Maybe that's what it was all the time. In Oakland his lack of run support focused him. Luckily now that the Yankees can't hit anymore, he'll return to form.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Didi gonna run laps tonight.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Singleton is going to announce in 2019.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Granderson cleared waivers. Wonder if they go after him to platoon in RF with Judge looking like a longer injury than expected. He hits righties pretty well and god knows they need some sort of veteran presence in the clubhouse.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Midges broke Joba.

I'm only partially joking.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Beat the Orioles. Weird.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Hicks' lefthanded swing looks so much like Barrold's, it's kinda uncanny.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Judge took 25 swings off a tee yesterday.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Even if he does opt out, the Dodgers will get him back. They're under the cap this year and unless they know something other teams don't, I doubt they'll walk away from the best lefty the team has had since Koufax.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Bird is a dud and Sanchez can hit for power but can't catch.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

E: but yeah with all the Realmuto talk this season I wouldn't be surprised to see a sweepstakes for him this winter with the Yanks heavily involved.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 6, 2018

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
What I'm saying is moving him to first would be a good move. Assuming this year is an aberration/wakeup call, a guy who hits .300 with 30+ HR power isn't a waste at 1b.

Obviously I'd love if Sanchez could have been a Piazza or Posada but unless he suddenly wakes up and learns how to block, a change is in order. It seems like filling the hole at first is the natural move but I don't know poo poo about player development outside of RTTS.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Mcmagic is overly negative but in a relatively endearing way. He writes like that one dude on Twitter who was gonna make it to the NFL if he hadn't blown out his knee in D3 college.

He's also correct sometimes.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Two experiments we can probably conclude: Sonny Gray and Greg Bird. I want them both to be good so bad, but neither should be playing in September right now.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Ramiro Mendoza Sonny Gray is not, at least not this year. Letting Warren go to replace him with Gray seems acceptable on paper but is going to haunt them down this stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I like this Severino.

• Locked thread