Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
what the hell is with the blacks? all these tvs have different terms for what blacks they have but how can you do better than just turning the led off? richer? deeper? what the hell?

also what's up with refresh rates, all these tvs say 240hz natural or tru refresh rate or whatever but on the back it the port says its only 60hz? do I have to use display port or something?

my tv is smart but the only apps it has is like netflix and hulu, why can't I get rid of my cable box? I can watch tv on my laptop just fine on a browser

4k is nice but theres no content

what do I do if I want to get a receiver or whatever? is there gonna be input lags for games?

also, why don't hdmi transmit tv controls already so my xbox can turn up the volume or switch channels or whatever without having to use a lovely ir blaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Magius1337est posted:

what the hell is with the blacks?

Whoa whoa hey chill on the racism fella. :yikes:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Magius1337est posted:

what the hell is with the blacks? all these tvs have different terms for what blacks they have but how can you do better than just turning the led off? richer? deeper? what the hell?

you can't turn off the led, that's the backlight. LCD works like stained glass, a light has to shine through it and that's just a big old light and a white sheet to even it out behind the window. sometimes you can turn off sections of the backlight but that's it really. plasma and oled works by having individual pixels light up with their own light so that can be way more black.

quote:

also what's up with refresh rates, all these tvs say 240hz natural or tru refresh rate or whatever but on the back it the port says its only 60hz? do I have to use display port or something?

all that poo poo interpolates frames, adding missing frames between other frames. it adds lag, sometimes a lot of lag.

quote:

my tv is smart but the only apps it has is like netflix and hulu, why can't I get rid of my cable box? I can watch tv on my laptop just fine on a browser

get a apple tv, then you can airplay your laptop to your tv, or just download the specific apple tv app you want (it's 'plex' btw)

quote:

4k is nice but theres no content

yep, not a good buy. you probably can't even tell the difference between 4k or 1080p unless you sit super close or its really big

quote:

what do I do if I want to get a receiver or whatever? is there gonna be input lags for games?
depends on the receiver. your tv, esp if it is 4k probably already has a lot of lag, check this site out: http://www.displaylag.com

quote:

also, why don't hdmi transmit tv controls already so my xbox can turn up the volume or switch channels or whatever without having to use a lovely ir blaster

they do, its called hdmi-cec but you gotta have stuff that supports it. ps4 and apple tv does, for instance.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

chaosbreather posted:

you can't turn off the led, that's the backlight. LCD works like stained glass, a light has to shine through it and that's just a big old light and a white sheet to even it out behind the window. sometimes you can turn off sections of the backlight but that's it really. plasma and oled works by having individual pixels light up with their own light so that can be way more black.

all that poo poo interpolates frames, adding missing frames between other frames. it adds lag, sometimes a lot of lag.

get a apple tv, then you can airplay your laptop to your tv, or just download the specific apple tv app you want (it's 'plex' btw)

yep, not a good buy. you probably can't even tell the difference between 4k or 1080p unless you sit super close or its really big

depends on the receiver. your tv, esp if it is 4k probably already has a lot of lag, check this site out: http://www.displaylag.com

they do, its called hdmi-cec but you gotta have stuff that supports it. ps4 and apple tv does, for instance.

you can't turn off an led? I thought each pixie was a seperate led and there was no backlight?

also why the hell would you want to game on an old tv? wouldn't you just get an adapter for whatver system you're using?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Magius1337est posted:

also why the hell would you want to game on an old tv? wouldn't you just get an adapter for whatver system you're using?

if you want lag yeah

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
my tv doesn't lag & my ps4 can turn it on

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Magius1337est posted:

you can't turn off an led? I thought each pixie was a seperate led and there was no backlight?

nope. it's called an LED LCD. the LEDs are the backlight, the LCD is the stained glass that (tries) to block it out.

LEDs aren't small enough for the resolution you'd want, but you'll see that display, called an LED matrix display, in shopping malls as advertising mega screens since that can get away with very low pixel density

quote:

personally i don't, but upscaling is pretty bad most of the time graphically and lag-wise. you have to spend a lot of money getting old consoles to look almost as good as it looks on an old tv you find on a sidewalk

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Simon Belmont looks like poo poo on my TV!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
smash bros is best on old crts

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Rich blacks are like THIS, poor blacks are like THIS

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I recommend an HDTV op I have one and its quite good.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't know OP. My TV is a Sharp Roku TV that I got on a black friday sale for $175. It seems fine.

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
are plasma tv's still a thing gently caress

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It stands for "Head Down To Vaginatown"

Hope that helps. God bles.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
The closest you can get to getting rid of set top boxes while still having "normal" TV is having a TV with a built in RVU client of some sort built in (works with DirecTV at least, I'm not sure what else). You still have to have at least one main client box serving all of the RVU clients, however.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lol if you're not still using a 300 pound 36" Sony Tube TV

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you have an iPhone or iPad and an Apple TV, download the THX Optimizer app. It's useful in getting brightness, contrast, and color just right.

Also, turn off the "SmoothVision" or whatever it's called. It's garbage.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Magius1337est posted:

I thought each pixie was a seperate led and there was no backlight?

This is what you get in OLED TVs, which is one of the reasons they're rated so highly for picture quality and black level, but they're still 5x times the price of the equivalent LCD

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so the active zones or whatever is what the backlighting thing is?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so backlighting vs oled,

either my screen can't get as bright or my screen can't get as dark

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
So oleds don't bleed as much?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I just did a dimming test and I have a dead active zone

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

I'd go see a doctor asap

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

lol easy man this is becmoming a one-man-thread!

Shopping for new TVs is loving awful nowadays...:sigh:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Magius1337est posted:

oh god now I can't not notice it anymore

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFewsvuteo

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
OLED is like staring at a laptop screen

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
backlights have resolution now?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Magius1337est posted:

lol

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Magius1337est posted:

Not a bad curse, I must say... :golfclap:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Plasma was a better technology than LCD but plasma TVs couldn't compete with the brightness of blinding white Best Buy store lighting so everyone thought they were too dim and they died out.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
also don't they have bad burn in?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Magius1337est posted:

also don't they have bad burn in?

They did when the technology was really new but it quickly ceased to be a real problem. Obviously the reputation stuck, though.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I have one of the last plasmas Panasonic made. It makes a constant faint buzzing noise and throws off heat and weighs a million pounds but the picture is :discourse:

Plasmas don't really have permanent burn-in anymore unless you really work at it, but they do have some degree of temporary "image retention" as they call it. Usually goes away after a few minutes at worst.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I thought my LED tv used actual LEDs but it turns out they're really just LCD screens with LEDs lighting it from behind?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so local dimming is a thing which means HDR on an oled is entirely different than HDR on a LCD tv

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Sometimes the realism is too much for me.

I don't want to see every pore on these motherfuckers' faces.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I just got this 8 inch tv from my dead grandparents. It makes a nice snapping noise when turned and it has a dial for UHF.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Magius1337est posted:

so local dimming is a thing which means HDR on an oled is entirely different than HDR on a LCD tv

HDR is just about simultaneous contrast between light and dark, so they're not so much 'entirely different' but just generally a lot better on OLED owing to the fact that the backlight 'resolution' is higher and that it does better blacks.

With Full Array Local Dimming, which is what the best LCD screens have, you end up with the screen having it's standard resolution (1080p or 4k) and then the LED backlights having a much lower resolution (like 100x50 or something). So for a scene where one half of the screen is bright and the other dark, it's gonna function much the same. WIth a scene with scattered points of high/low contrast (ie looking at a bright light through trees at night or something) OLED, with a backlight resolution equal to it's screen resolution is going to work a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

HDTV doesn't mean anything if you bought a new TV in the last 10 years. You're set. Don't worry about it.

• Locked thread