Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

These “get X% trade power in some node” missions are pretty tough! Is there a trick to them besides “spam light ships”

yeah they’re bad missions unless they align with your immediate plans, if possible conquest of trade centres and trade war for trade power/steering is really your only option as advisors and province edicts can only do so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Thinking of starting as Lithuania and aiming for Uncommonwealth achievement (create Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth as Lithuania so it's more of LPC rather than PLC). Do I understand correctly there are no railroading events for that? Missions suggest that I just have to use claim throne CB they give me but it doesn't feel commonwealthy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

According to the wiki you either get your dynasty in charge of Poland after their interregnum and use claim throne then form Commonwealth diplomatically at admin 10, or you can take certain key provinces off them and form it militarily

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, but there's nothing special you can do to get your dynasty in charge of Poland, right? You're in the same position as other Catholic countries except for claim throne CB from missions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Seeing screenshots always makes me sad about how badly the AI Ottomans underperform.
They almost always go full berserk for me. Effortlessly eating their way up into Poland, Russia etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been seeing the Ottomans mostly leave the Mamluks alone while getting into hundred years grudge matches with the Commonwealth.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If they get Crimea that's what triggers them to go insane on the steppe.

It helps also that PLC tends to get in big wars with other powers whereas Mamluks have basically no threat besides Ottomans most of the time. Even the AI can tell what's what.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, but there's nothing special you can do to get your dynasty in charge of Poland, right? You're in the same position as other Catholic countries except for claim throne CB from missions.

Correct. Lithuania does not get a free Poland. This is why it's an achievement.

(Conversely, player Aragon does not get an achievement for forming Spain.)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, it really feels like a Byzantium game comes down to Byzantium vs Spain because a bunch of the land you need to take in Southern Italy, Sicily, the Western Isles, possibly Tunis, and obviously Hispania almost always end up in the hands of Castille/Spain.

And it's kind of hard to make the jump to grab them early before the PU/integration happens because then you'd be spending precious admin points coring that stuff up when you need to be using it on the ottoman/balkan lands that are you're more immediate concern.

PittTheElder posted:

Seeing screenshots always makes me sad about how badly the AI Ottomans underperform.

What if it's because the rise of a player run Byzantium destroyed the Ottomans?

The current state of the Med/Europe/parts of Asia in my game. Imereti is still my PU and I'm currently allied with France, Poland (who has the only other ports on the Black Sea) and Persia. France also has a 62 year old heir less monarch right now who is leading/drilling an army and if they die a noble from my house will take the throne, although I don't know if I'll get a PU. There's a whole bunch of weird alliances in Europe which is almost entirely Catholic and Spain is the defender of the Catholic Faith, so calling for any war into Europe is going to drag Spain into it. I've been kind of sitting around waiting for a few peaces to wear off so that I can call for a war again, but it has allowed to me to build up a massive army and make a lot of needed improvements. I think I may have to go after Spain first to try and chip off Southern Italy and/or some of the Western Med Isles plus Spain is allied with Venice and the Papal States, so I can grab that lone Venice province that is part of my northern border. It's either that or another Mamluk war, but I think they are allied with Persia now too and I don't want to break my alliance with them just yet.

edit - oh and yeah, I'm totally amused that Hungary died and was replaced by Transylvania.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 28, 2021

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Release Sicily as a vassal instead of coring if you need to worry about that region early.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

yikes! posted:

Release Sicily as a vassal instead of coring if you need to worry about that region early.

Yeah that would work too I guess, but it's still had to justify trying to jump over to grab it when you have to much more ottoman/balkan land to grab first. I mean I did manage to grab a single Naples province before the integration happened and then got a couple more after they got broken up. I guess it would kind of depend on how the alliances shake out.

Also, it feels weird because of the way the mission tree is set up because 'Secure the Western Isles' is in the 2nd row while 'Secure Southern Italy' is in the 5th row.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 28, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Here you go. I finally got around to finishing my Odoyev achievement run that I kept taking breaks from because the Ottomans were beating the poo poo out of me every 10 years with their 1M+ troops

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I have just started a Poland game and I can't wait to butt heads with the Ottomans. :black101:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm going for the Kongo achievement (own and core all of Africa)

Soooo... Is this Africa?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I forgot that mousing over the cheevo in the cheevobox outlines the needed provinces, and the answer is No, turns out those European provinces are in Europe

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Macaronesia is european, the rest of the maghreb region is african, no this makes no sense to anyone else either.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Macaronesia is european, the rest of the maghreb region is african, no this makes no sense to anyone else either.

There was a mission for Spain to own all the provinces in Iberia and players were having trouble understanding why it wasn't triggering when they owned everything but Macaronesia.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ilitarist posted:

From the wiki

quote:

Poland begins the game in interregnum. So simply royal marrying Poland is usually sufficient to ensure that the same dynasty gets on the throne

Haven't tried it myself but apparently it's quite easy? I don't understand why it's supposedly so easy for player Lithuania to get the same dynasty over AIs that might also marry Poland though

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

so that's...technically true, but it doesn't include the fact that actually getting your dynasty on board before the Jagiellonian event fires is going to take resets, a lot of resets.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Maybe it's a tip for an older version of a game when you didn't have missions to get claim throne CB. Now it's easy to get and royal marriage doesn't give you advantages unless you're fishing for peaceful PU which is unreliable.

Historically Poland basically invited Lithuanian grand duke to rule and he only agreed with the condition that the union is balanced. It was still more Polish than Lithuanian but I expected Lithuanian dominance to be a possibility. They already prevent player from being PU'd by Poland, could have gone farther.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Heh, I didn't have to wait long after my last post to grab southern italy. A short time after that last screenshot, Spain called a war against Tunis while low on reserve manpower and so I moved armies into position while they were at war and just absolutely steamrolled through Sicily, Southern Italy, and Spanish allied Papal States from my provinces there while slamming into their other ally Venice from the Balkans as the third branch of my forces moved into the Iberian Peninsula from positions in my ally France. By the time I had to face close to even strength stacks for my original invading armies my armies from Italy had arrived and I drove them across the straits into Africa. I had to start a massive naval battle which I barely won (although I did manage to capture the Spanish flagship) to drag the blockade away from the strait and then I streamed across, captured Fez and had another big fight with a Spanish army. I could have easily finished occupying the rest of Spanish Africa, but by that point I had enough war score to take all of Southern Italy and Sardinia plus get a core returned to France and war reparations plus a little cash so I took it.

I'm betting that France is about to declare war on Spain because Spain still has two French cores and I deliberately didn't call France into the war even through the were willing to join about 3/4 of the way through it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Groke posted:

Correct. Lithuania does not get a free Poland. This is why it's an achievement.

(Conversely, player Aragon does not get an achievement for forming Spain.)

If you play as Aragon and have an AI Castille, you get the event to PU them, rather than the AI<->AI vice versa.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheFlyingLlama posted:

so that's...technically true, but it doesn't include the fact that actually getting your dynasty on board before the Jagiellonian event fires is going to take resets, a lot of resets.

Lithuania is stronger than Poland. I don't see why you wouldn't just kick their rear end and take the provinces you need. Especially because they'll probably rival multiple strong people on their opposite border and/or get hosed by Ottomans over and over.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

that was honestly kinda my point; you could try to restart over and over to get an early PU with Lithuania...or you could just do enough of the mission tree to get it way easier.

Pre-Mission tree trying to cheese the interregnum was probably more viable, but I don't think there's any point to trying it anymore.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What am I missing here? Why won't the mission count as completed?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahahaha. It happened. The French king died and I became the leading partner of a PU with France who was already my ally with a +200 relationship.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What am I missing here? Why won't the mission count as completed?

I've had that issue myself. It didn't trigger successfully until the AI stopped privateering. Maybe the game doesn't apply the penalty to privateering properly for it or the number is wrong so it actually needs 0%, no idea.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Poil posted:

I've had that issue myself. It didn't trigger successfully until the AI stopped privateering. Maybe the game doesn't apply the penalty to privateering properly for it or the number is wrong so it actually needs 0%, no idea.

Yeah that agenda seems extremely bugged. I've been avoiding it as much as possible.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Beamed posted:

If you play as Aragon and have an AI Castille, you get the event to PU them, rather than the AI<->AI vice versa.

Yes, exactly. Aragon gets a free Castille, so forming Spain as Aragon is not worthy of an achievement. Lithuania does not get a free Poland, hence the achievement.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was thinking about turning off mods to do a Russia(n minor) achievement run and here's more evidence that the AI's opening moves are anti-player: starting as Odoyev, Ryazan peacefully became a Great Horde tributary 3/4 times. Started four times each as Novgorod and Muscovy to check, and Ryazan never does this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was thinking about turning off mods to do a Russia(n minor) achievement run and here's more evidence that the AI's opening moves are anti-player: starting as Odoyev, Ryazan peacefully became a Great Horde tributary 3/4 times. Started four times each as Novgorod and Muscovy to check, and Ryazan never does this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

You have a good chance of getting instant claims from the estate missions so just restart until you get one and declare on Dec 11 before they can ally/tributize themselves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I decided to do Serbia and it's been a weird one

Naples got Burgundy and me, them, Austria, and Commonwealth are hellwarring the cursed Spain/Otto alliance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cologne and nogai tying for first place in the "unlikely success story" category

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I decided to do Serbia and it's been a weird one

Naples got Burgundy and me, them, Austria, and Commonwealth are hellwarring the cursed Spain/Otto alliance.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

red ottoman empire? that's correct.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

:emptyquote:

for real though the Ottomans do not have a great shade of green in the base game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blue Portgual is hosed up, I don't care if it was the monarchy's actual colors it looks terrible

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I was having a chill Lithuania game wondering why did I put away this objectively best strategy game on account of it being too stressful. It's the most proactive Paradox game requiring you to look for opportunities everywhere, but it's calming and soothing. Snatch Novgorod TC and vassalize Odoyev when Muscowy attacks Novgorod. Get some of Livonia and vassalize Riga, instantly ally spawning Drezden and help them in their war against Teutons, again getting some land from Livonian Order. Diplovassalize Theodoro, annex Odoyev, help Poland in their useless wars. Promise Genoa land in Crimea, capture Crimea and give nothing to those Italians, laugh.

Then Muscowy attacks and Poland bails out of the alliance. I have 0 manpower and half of Muscowite army. I turn off the PC and go to sleep.

Now when I think about the game I feel dread. I can probably struggle through the war with minor concessions but boy would that be anti-chill. I'm tempted to just unconditionally surrender cause then I won't lose prosperity and gain devastation. So I wonder if this can be a better move from an in-game POV, not just because I don't want to go into 20 loans to turn the war around and chip some land from Muscowy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Lithuania is arguably not the best choice for a chill game, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

But murdering Muscovy as soon as possibly, or at the very least take one of the provinces they need to form Russia, would help you a lot.