Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blue squares posted:

Yeah I’m dumb I looked at the mission tree and saw it wanted me to take some turf in the Mediterranean, said that was too hard so I didn’t do it, then I said the game is too easy

I’ll go out and conquer! Now that my colonies are self sustaining I can stop having 20k troops distributed across the world

After you finish/tire of your England game, go play Muscovy. Still solidly in the beginner column but there will be a lot more going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly the fun part of every Paradox game is just blundering into it way over your head, failing disastrously, figuring out why (absolutely come ask the thread,.post screenshots), and then trying again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

So then literally the day I escape that war, Poland invites me to fight the Tuetonic order and its allies. Well, this is exactly what I need for Prussia later on, so why not. I go in and occupy my neighbor Mecklenberg and win some easy fights in order to contribute, then I check the treaty deal and see that I can acquire Danzig of all places if I am willing to leave the war. It only causes Poland to lose 10 trust of me so why the gently caress not? Hahaha so I take it and now I have Danzig which I did literally nothing to acquire.

Just FYI the province you really need is Konigsberg. Not that Danzig isn't an amazing province, but you don't need it to form Prussia, Konigsberg you do.

also the primary goal of Eu4 is Pretty Borders, and Ducal Prussia is the prettiest one

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

You need both I think

You do not. You need Konigsberg and (Danzig OR Stolp)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

I’m so poor as Brandenburg. Is it worth attacking my rivals with the humiliation CB to demand ducats after I win?

Yes. Also the Show Strength option against your rivals (peace out their local allies for ducats) is great if you can get an easy war in against them, especially if you're already up against the AE limit. Then sink the +100MP into provincial development.

Economic ideas are good for Brandenburg too iirc, the dev cost reduction really helps, and I believe you get excellent policy synergy with Quality ideas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

Cool, thanks. I also learned that if there is a coalition targeting me, do NOT drop my two powerful allies. I figured I was fine as long as I fought non-coalition members, but as soon as I dropped them, the coalition came for me.

Yeah once the AI thinks it plus its allies can take you (and your allies, excluding ones who will ignore the call to arms because they're busy or whatever) they will absolutely come for you. They usually want a comfortable margin of safety tho.

And the strength of countries you are currently fighting are kinda-sorta deducted from your own, which means that declarations of war usually come in as soon as you get into a fight with a big power (either offensive or defensive), and then they come in big batches as smaller and smaller blocs look to get in on the action.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 30, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

I’m officially burned out on Brandenburg. Playing inside the HRE is really not my cup of tea I guess; the tangled web of alliances and AE, and my constant struggles with manpower due to uprisings and the wars that Austria and Poland call me into, not to mention my own, just make the game go at a pace I don’t like and I feel boxed in on all sides by alliances.

Yeah Brandenburg/Prussia/any HRE power requires a much more diplomatic approach.

Go try Muscovy next.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah seconding Muscovy as a very good learning game. You start with poo poo manpower and poo poo economy. The Shemyaka rebellion and the initial war sieging down Novgorod will probably bleed the troops you have dry.

But you also start with most of your region as same-dynasty vassals, and your only free enemies besides Novgorod, Tver and Ryazan, are also same-dynasty. That will barely matter though because your vassal Rurikovich swarm will fight all the Novgorod battles themselves. You literally have to do nothing but stand a stack on Novgorod. You might need to dev Renaissance and Colonialism in Moscow, but conveniently your starting ruler is Vasily the Blind and your heir is Ivan the Great so you will have a surplus of monarch points. You can form Russia by just taking Novgorod, Ryazan, and annexing your vassals, and from there you will be increasingly rich and strong. One of the best idea sets in the game, plus siberian frontiers to blob out to the pacific. You also get the Tsardom buttons to click.

It's not quite a difficult start but it uses a ton of EU4 mechanics to get going.

The Shemyaka Rebellion isn't even in the base game is it? I mean it's ridiculous that that conflict isn't in there but I don't think it is.

And just incidentally, your starting heir Ivan isn't the future Ivan IV (the Terrible), it's Ivan III (the Great)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was googling it, I think it's from Expanded Missions. Does it have an absolutely horrendous event picture?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Caustic Soda posted:

edit: at least they can do most of what they're trying through the UI for MTs and province/country modifiers. tried MEIOU once or twice and found it offputtingly difficult to parse the different menus and whatnot. Not to mention it ran like rear end, where Anbennar is reasonably smooth.

One of the reasons I want Paradox to hurry up and do EU5 is so that it can pick up the interface exposure that CK3 has. It would be very cool to see what the M&T crew could do with that much access to the UI.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

I have the opportunity to attack Denmark 1 on 1 without any of their allies getting involved by no-CBing Cleves. I have 65k+ more troops and much more manpower, 3.45 morale to their 2.89, but they have 10k artillery, 12% professionalism to my 4%, and 38% tradition to my 33%. We are both tech level 10, and I have read online that I shouldn't bother with artillery yet.

I went to war with them once and lost, so now I reloaded and am checking their ledger because I am trying to learn this game still.

Was it because of their artillery? Their professionalism? Or are my numbers sufficiently higher that I should have won and it must have been bad tactics and positioning?

Suggestions? I split my forces and sent half down to Denmark and the other half through Sweden. Should I keep them all in a united front? Maybe declare and wait for them to march to me, so that they commit to one front or the other and take attrition on the way, then once I drain their forces I go in and siege?

My goal is to force independence for Sweden (and maybe Norway too, which they have conquered) and break their alliance with Poland, which should eliminate them as a threat to my game. I have to act now because Cleves is already at war with Austria, so Austria won't join in to defend them. Only Denmark.

It's a No CB war, meaning the goal is just to win battles, so don't send your army anywhere. Just sit around in your well supplied provinces and wait for them to show up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

Got bored of giant Russia and marching my armies all over the place for rebellions, so I started a Mewar game. My lord that place is a thunderdome! So much war. I love it

If that's your jam be sure to check out Japan as well.

Maybe Mesoamerica too, though that has a real slow middle game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Red Bones posted:

There are harder individual countries, but in terms of general regions to recommend to a newish player, Mesoamerica is maybe not a good recommendation because it's probably the hardest starting region in the entire map. Repeatedly fight a bunch of intense, fiddly wars, deal with the religious reformation mechanics and then avoid getting invaded by every major western European colonial power, all in the first 150-ish years.

It's right up there with playing in the Balkans & Anatolia as someone other than the Ottomans, in terms of difficulty.

Well I'm discounting the difficulty of getting stomped by a colonial power, that's part of the experience imo. And the fiddly wars in Mexico are nowhere near as difficult as a non-Ottoman Anatolian start. Dealing with Spain/Portugal does require a change in approach but that's the game? :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rynoto posted:

tldr baiting AI into scorched earth provinces and timing it so they can't reinforce so you're always fighting 2:1 battles even against nations with more troops.

Also he got very lucky with that france drill.

Yeah a huge part of it was just being able to wipe all of France's initial armies right off the bat, which is somewhat unique to being a vassal in the heartland of their overlord. 99% of the time you don't have that opportunity at all. The rest of it is knowing how to use scorched earth and having a good understanding of how the AI is moving it's troops (you get a very good handle on this at 1000+ hours played), and then abusing the gently caress out of movement locking so you only ever have to fight a subset of your opponents army.

Watching that myself actually highlights some of the worst parts of EU4 to me, with the outsized effect microing your troops (and just buying up mercs) has, vs. the internal management and administration of your tag which I maintain is the more interesting part of the game, though certainly not everyone will agree.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

And now they own the lions share of the sevilla node, so I'm just completely hosed since they get the majority of all the trade im driving there.

Collect somewhere else my man

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Welp, just learned how loving worthless support rebels is.

I'm trying to get out of a vasselization from a hyper powered France and no one will help me because their army is terrifying.

So I see thay for $1000 ducats I can sponsor a 52 province noble rebellion. Hell yeah, that should chew their army down andayne swing some people my way.

It loving spawned 1 20 strength army. That was crushed comically fast.

Biggest waste of money loving imaginable.

E: is there a a way to remove the neutral attitude malus? It blocks so much and nothing seems to remove it. This is heartbreaking

https://imgur.com/a/c7Lb4FV

If you're that close to them agreeing, just build a few more regiments until your Army Strength modifier improves.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Take a screenshot of a battle you're losing that you expected to win and post it here. The UI is actually decent at showing the myriad factors, rather than us guessing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Roadie posted:

Anbennar is the best and Paradox should give it some achievements.

At the very least this year's April Fools dev diary should be nothing but puns for Anbennar cheevos.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah WC is only worth it if some recent patch lets you do crazy exploits along the way, otherwise it's just no fun (and even then it gets old). Only one I've ever done was with Kazan of all things, back when Razing was just hilariously op and you could do it all game. Meant to do Minghals for free cores, I remember I did all the setup stuff then got bored instantly :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

aqu posted:

The real reason to want EUV is for WASD camera controls.

I want it for the vain hope that they'll fix the loving map projection. That is not where the Americas are :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

My personal EU5 wish is fewer provinces. There are way too many, especially ones that are IRL so not-notable they don’t even have Wikipedia pages

counter point: why have fewer when you could have more?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's gonna make the Muscovy start (and probably all of the Russian principalities + Lithuania) fun as hell.

Curious to see how devastating they can make the Roman civil wars that are about to kick off, on one hand the state is much less doomed than it becomes during those wars, but on the other they seem pretty determined (correctly) to gently caress with the Byzaboos at this point in the EU lifecycle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

Wtf? Where did you get that prealpha screenshot ?

Oh drat, glad to see you're still lurking about here. Project Caesar looks rad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Box wine posted:

I sure would enjoy reloading cause a merc company on a 30% chance walked into some mountains instead of marching straight into relieve another army.

Honestly if there's one thing I really want to see in EU5, it's making battles resolve faster (instantly?) so that the Noria style reinforcement meta dies out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I would also like the ability to automate generals. Give them objectives and a bounding area and let them handle it. Would be a nice simulation for colonial wars, and can make it optional if people are unwilling to let the AI handle things.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

I know they did the province vs location post earlier and talked about how they've borrowed from Vicky 3's subdividable states to be able to have 30 000 locations for you to lovingly click but

geez that's a lot of granularity. Even with the well known Paradox Sweden bias. Hopefully Catalonia is equally showered with love.

Honestly the power move would have been to make Catalonia absurdly dense and then make all of Sweden like three provinces :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

One tidbit from the forum posts is that one possibility for revolt is tags fully declaring independence and needing to be reconquered, and that low control feeds into that somehow

That sounds excellent honestly

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I can only hope the way to prevent it is "leave some garrison troops there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah my complete guess is that they're aiming for a Q3 2025 release window.

Which is a shame because I really want to play it sooner than that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 18, 2024