Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

This War of Mine is a war survival game by 11 Bit Studios. It was released late 2014, and a few updates have happened since then. Children were added, the ability to customize the story and characters, and a lot of bug fixes so far.

The game is based on a few accounts of the Bosnia/Serbia war back in 1993. There is a pretty famous prepper interview that really gave this game some of it's ideas and the overall feel. The interview is here, but be warned it does talk about death and some other squeamish subjects. http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/bosnia-war-survivor-warns-collapse-america/

The game follows a night and day schedule where you build your base and have random events happen during the day, and then you scavenge for supplies in the ruined city at night. Soldiers, rebels, bandits, and innocent characters will be everywhere for you to interact with at night and how you interact with them is up to you. Random events will happen to you at night, raids from soldiers, rebels, or bandits so you need to be able to defend your home.

Your characters will get sick, hungry, wounded, and tired. They will become depressed, content, happy, or suicidal based on decisions you make in the game. There are chain smoking characters who get angry and drunk when you don't have cigarettes as well as caffeine addicts who fall into a depression without coffee every few days.

However, if you want any of that you'll have to visit my other game thread which is in the archives I believe.

For this LP we're going to play the new module, the first of three to be released within the next year.

It is called Father's Promise and you'll be tagging along for my first time playing it. I've never played it before so everything is new to me.

Things to know: I swear a bunch. I'm decent at this game but there are no save games (and I dont scrum save even though it's possible) so if I mess up that's it. No taksie-backsies.

There is a 30 second opening scene to show you the building we begin in. It is on youtube here

The length of time you are stuck in this hellhole is usually randomized. It could be 30 days or 90. I have a feeling this module is far more scripted, but I don't know how long it'll be. I'm not going to cheat in any way, you're just coming along on a discovery with me.

We start with an explanation of the huge ruined building to the right that we scrolled past in the opening scene. A single dad with a sick daughter. Time to save the world, or at least our little corner of it!

We begin as Adam, a skilled scavenger. He's kneeling by his daughter Amelia's bed and reassuring her that everything will be fine.

In the bottom right I click on her portrait and see that she is severely ill. This is bad, Severely ill is like 3 days from death in the original game. To cure this I'll need to get the super expensive bottled medications to knock her from Severely to just "Sick" and then I can use the cheaper meds and bedrest to upgrade her to 'slightly' and then once again till she is feeling better. For those of you who have played before you understand this is a huge huge huge amount of work and resources. I'll basically be unable to feed myself (gotta pay for meds somehow, and I refuse to let the little girl die) unless I somehow start out with a stockpile of food.

Adam tells the little girl that he's going to look around the house for anything usable and will be back to check on her.

Now we can finally look around, so lets do that.

We begin by looking at Adams bio. He's a coffee drinker which sort of sucks. He'll get angry if we don't have any coffee.

Oh wonderful, his ten year old daughter drinks coffee too. Just pile the poo poo on why don't you?

Gameplay time. This is part of our house. Doors have a door icon. No way to tell if they are locked (requires crowbar or lockpick) until you get there and touch them. The one exception is just above Adams card in the bottom right. There is a tiny door with a X sort of thing on it. That's a barricaded door which means I can't get through that door from this side no matter what.

The hands are things I can search. The radio is clearly the radio signals to the right of the character. There is also a workshop right next to the radio so I can build things like beds, chairs, metal workshops, herbal workshops, and things like that.

Up top there is a hole in the wall with an exclamation mark. I have no idea what that is, but at a guess it's a way to get to the other building since the door down bottom is barricaded. Is anyone else excited for to zipline over? I know I am!

There are a few piles of rubble, dirt pile icons, that require around 3hrs to dig out. That's like a third of the day, so you don't really want to dig those out if you can help it. Shovels will cut that time down to about half an hour, but I don't have a shovel.

There are more piles of stuff to get on the top floor.

The other building is a goldmine. Above Adams card is a cage icon. That's a rat trap, I can put trash in there and catch rats to eat. I guarantee that one or both of those doors are locked, and there are two piles of dirt that I would need to dig to get to the cabinet on the ground floor. Ugh.

Lets just take a look at our inventory so we can figure out what we need to do.

:negative: So much for that stockpile of food I was hoping for.

Welp, time to get started digging through trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, This War of Mine, a game I don't regret buying but one I'll never be able to bring myself to play properly 'cos I'm a massive sissy. Looking forward to what comes next, Smurf.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Mom probably died when the last Starbucks closed down for good.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Below is something a user said in the last thread that I thought was relevant and should have been added to the OP. Ah well, here it is.

Pittsburg Lambic posted:

The ongoing story, far as I can recall, is that the (fictional) city of Pogoren is under rebel control and surrounded by forces loyal to the government. The army outside is shelling the city daily and won't let any humanitarian aid in, citing concerns that it would be used to support the rebels.

This has gone on for months now, and the civilians trapped in the city are running out of everything and starting to metaphorically (and perhaps literally) prey on each other to survive. An ominous little detail about the trading is that to Franko, medicine and banadages are more valuable than gold.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Day 1

I look at the magnifying glass right next to her bed. It's a pretty picture.

The other magnifying glass is a letter from Adams brother.

I check out the zipline, only to find it's not a zipline. A bridge is going to be very expensive to build...

:eyepop: gently caress that's going to cripple my building abilities.

I begin looting the house. I find two lockpicks and two locked items, (one door, one cabinet above my guys speech bubble) so it seems this house is scripted with it's starting contents.

On my way back downstairs I hit the radio and put on some classical music. One news report says that cold weather (I would lean toward mortar shells doing the killing) is killing people, but the weather says it's going to be nice and warm. I dunno. Also this says coffee is scarce, so in theory coffee will be worth more in trade. In practice is means jack poo poo.

I begin digging to get to the last area I can search today. I begin at 12:20 and end at 3:20. It's an absolute killer to dig through these things, but a shovel is pretty useless in most of the game so I rarely build one.

Adam keeps reminding me to do stuff throughout the day. Go check on the girl. Give her food. My brother is a selfish rear end in a top hat. My brother is going to get himself killed.

Jackpot. I got a gem (which is a catchall image for jewellery).

And apparently the toy dog is useful.

The girl is hungry, and I have no way of knowing if she is on day 2 of hungry or just 1 so I go ahead and feed her. All players can last 2 days in "hungry" before anything bad happens to them, so I plan on let Adam skip a day.

That's not entirely true, but it's close enough for now. Mood modifiers screw this up, so you have to pay attention to depressed people, angry people due to no coffee/smokes....

He also says "I know you're sick and don't feel like eating... But you need to eat to be strong."

Adam is still in the sad state. Understandable with how sick his daughter is.

I give her the doggy. Adam takes it out from behind his back and presents it to her. Look how cute and cuddly it is. Why don't you take care of him while Daddy takes care of you.

Adam is no longer sad. Not a bad first day. I've got an hour and change left so I start digging one of the rubble piles outside. Every minute counts on those things, especially when you try to sleep during the day and perform all of the actions needed to survive.

Night 1

And now it's nighttime. I can use this time to scavenge at other locations for materials, parts, food, and meds. And then I trade those or use those to improve my shelter.

However, I cannot do that since I have a little girl to take care of.

So I'm going to pause and explain my thinking here. I have no bed. I can't sleep. I can build one, but that doesn't help me at all since I have no way to go scavenge for food or supplies since I can't leave my daughter alone.

Based on game mechanics alone I am going to go out on a limb and say that his daughter has to die to progress the story. Nothing can happen. I'm out of things to do in the house, so unless outside forces do something Adam is going to starve to death before day 6.

Welcome to the show, everyone. That's what kind of game this is.

The radio is a two-way radio. Adam begins calling for help. My daughter is very sick, we need bandages and meds!

Adam is just beginning to dig through the 2nd rubble pile for no reason. Seriously, there's no reason to do this since I can't open that door. There just isn't anything else to do and it's only 9am so instead of sitting in a chair for the next 10 hours I tell him to dig.

But wait, is that Franko walking to the door?

Hell yeah, I hope he brought medicine!

He did not. However, there is a new icon next to the trade button on Franko's character on the main screen.

Oh, you're the guy from the radio!
Yes! Do you have meds?
Meds are hard to come by, my friend.
I beg you, she's all I have...
Alright, I'll do what I can. I can't promise anything, I nearly got shot on my way here.

And with that Franko turns and runs away. I finish digging my useless rubble pile and then go to comfort Amelia.

You'll see them as soon as the fighting is over.

I'm about to pack a bowl when Franko bangs on the door.

This is not going to be cheap, but I told you I wasn't going to let her die so lets see what happens.

I knew this wouldn't be that easy. Usually I can get close (It won't do, try harder message instead of what is shown) with a gem for a bottle of medicine. Franko also has the herbal meds (pills next to the canned food) which are a lot cheaper. Those meds won't get her feeling better though. Severely ill requires bottled meds, the 2nd most expensive item in the game.

This is just highway robbery. I have no choice. Like a good father I mash the DEAL button.

The meds are bulletproof. With these meds Amelia should be able to skip from Severely ill straight to Slightly Sick. She can skip the "sick" designation entirely since she's on 100% bedrest.

Adam crams them down her gullet. The entire drat bottle disappears which annoys me on a "why isn't the picture of meds a couple pills without a bottle" level.

Adam comforts his daughter, then finishes digging out that rubble.

Checking what I can build. A bed doesn't help me here for reasons already outlined. A stove and metal workshop don't help either. I need 9 more material (icon of stuff in boxes) and 1 more wood to build the bridge. I can't do any scavenging so I'm just going to sit tight.

Yeah, well rest isn't going to help. Stop standing guard like an idiot and sleep on the floor.

Night 2

2nd night in a row where Adam refuses to sleep on the floor and instead stands guard. This is a bad idea because he's going to be exhausted soon and refuse to do any work or trading. Starvation is 3 days away for one of the people in the house. The only choice is does Adam eat the 1 piece of food left so he can live 5 days, or give it to his daughter so she can?

This module is basically my worst nightmare. Wonderful.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 20, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Day 3

All is quiet during the night. No burglary attempts or anything.

I need help. Someone, please answer me!

Hey now, things are looking up! Lets go check on Amelia.

Uhhh what? She's still Severely ill. The game is railroading her to an early grave and there's nothing I can do.

Right about now I'm really really really regretting clicking on the "give her food" button above her bed. I only regret it from a gameplay perspective. I don't regret it one second from a fathers perspective.

It takes almost two hours for Adam to feed his daughter and someone starts pounding on the door.

I hit the little talk icon under him.

Adam, grab Amelia and let's go. She's our ticket out of here!
The humanitarian corridor I told you about.... We're in luck, brother! They prioritize parents with children!
She's not your ticket. She's my daughter. And there's no way she'd survive that in her current state.
I'd have to carry her and make frequent stops. They'd kill us before we got anywhere.
Bah, Always a pessimist. I'm sure she'll make it! And she's our only chance out of this hell!
Listen to yourself, willing to risk her life like that.
I just want to get us out of here man. Don't you want it too, and for Amelia to be safe?
If you're too scared, I can take her myself!
Listen to me carefully. You touch her, I'll kill you.

And with that, Adam kicks his brother out of his life.

Time to go check on Amelia.

I need to quickly find some meds.
Be strong. Daddy will come back soon.

But the only thing Adam does, the only thing the game will let him do at this point, is to sit in that chair at the foot of her bed for the next eight hours.

Night 3

You see how I can't sleep? It's greyed out just to the right of his face. Usually you'd be able to sleep on the floor with a character and just hope they wake up in case of someone breaking in at night.

The fact I can't do this means the game isn't done with the initial storyline yet. What's the over/under on waking up tomorrow to a corpse in the bed? :(

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

God this game is one of the few war games to make war not glorious. Cant wait to see more

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Your images could be a bit bigger, the smaller text is really hard to read. Also I think it's a letter from Adam's brother, not to him! I haven't played this but I loved the original game.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Uhh poo poo? Beats a corpse in the bed but not by much.

Adam begins tearing the bed apart. His arms go flying, it's pretty good animations.

He puts his head in his hands and sits down.

Then he realizes something....

Adam stands and shakes off the feeling of helplessness.

Take note: Adam, despite sleeping what seems to be 18 hours, is still Tired. Going out tonight is a must, so he will be Very Tired tomorrow which is usually bad.

Also Adam is depressed, but determined. This is new to me. Depressed I can handle, it's annoying, but I can handle it. Determined is new. Depressed just means when doing stuff like cooking he'll just say Oh Woe Is Me and stop working until you notice him standing there like a jackass just wasting the precious minutes away. It's annoying like I said.

Adam is determined alright. Lets look for clues Scooby-Doo style!

The bed is the first clue. No signs of struggle so she must have known who took her. Or a stranger could have punched her in the head and then picked up the unconscious ten year old.

Adam sees another clue outside.

Footprints. Exactly where your brother stood yesterday. And Franko the day before that. Bingo, we got 'em now boys!

Adam beelines to his brothers house.

Hang on, I gotta prepare and wait till nightfall.

This is the prepare screen. If I had anything to take I could take something with me. I debate taking the lockpick but decide against it. I need resources to build up my house so I don't take anything.

I just love how the vision works in this game. Notice how Adam can see down the ladder since he's standing right next to it? I take it quiet to start, sneaking toward the doorway.

This vision thing is so cool. Looking through the keyhole Adam can see the inside of the house pretty clearly. Or at least enough to see that his brother isn't visible.

That means it's time to go loud. If his brother is upstairs with Amelia it's going to be a fight anyway. Adams rage will fuel him tonight.

Welp, good thing I already decided to go loud. rear end in a top hat.

And then: There's something on the other pile. I better take a look.

That stupid humanitarian corridor. Ugh. Also: Apparently Adams brother is a pharmacist. And he was going to let his niece die by not giving her meds. Remind me to murder this guy when I find him.

Alright alright alright. We've got a destination, buckle up!

I loot everything I can and finally get here. This is a different type of door, it's got grates. The only way to get in there is to cut it with a sawblade which break after one use. They are annoying to bring, pretty expensive to make, but they are like 99% always worth coming back a 2nd time to open it up and take whatever is there.

Not a bad haul. Enough resources to build that bridge.

A calm night only reminds me that I need to secure my house. People will burgle me eventually, so that's got to be one of the first things I do. Having a 2nd or 3rd person to stand guard would be great too, but probably not in the cards for this DLC.

I'm going to save the girl. I will not fail this. Secondary quest would be murdering my fuckface brother.

Alright, breaktime for a second. I look around the map. This is all realtime, there's no pause button unless you go into the inventory or settings. But then if you do that you can't see the map so it's useless for planning.

Adam is Very Tired. He needs 10-11hrs of uninterrupted sleep to get out of that. It's not happening today, there's too much to do. If I fail to get him the minimum of 5.5hrs (may be slightly less, the game is funky with start/stop time of sleep sometimes) then tomorrow Adam will be exhausted which means he's going to sleep the entire day.

So: I need to build a bridge, recover as much poo poo as I can from the old building to the right, then get my rear end to bed. If I fail to get to sleep by 3pm the day is wasted and I've messed up bigly.

3hrs to make the bridge. Go buddy go

Even with me watching Adam like a hawk he still managed to waste 20 minutes (about 6 seconds realtime) by being depressed and not working while looking like he's working.

Amelie my precious munchkin, I'm so sorry.
Everything points to the pharmacy. I need to check it out.

Three hands easily accessible along the right side of the building. Depending on time, depression screwing me over, I'll hit them and check out the basement to set that rat trap. The problem is going to be running back to the bed. Even at a full sprint it's up 3 flights of stairs, across the bridge, then down one flight of stairs, then slow down and drop through a hole in the ceiling, and then run to the bed. That will take (no joke) an hour of gametime. Maybe slightly more. I need to get to bed by 3 or I'm setting myself back by at least a day and a half.

I grab some resources, nothing special, and have to kick him out of his depression to lockpick the door. Time is ticking...

Our home... Everything is lost.

I don't know why I wasted time on this. It's two seconds realtime to look at this, but these two seconds are needed.

I bait the trap which takes a few minutes. Maybe a rat will come by and let me eat it tomorrow.

I find crayons for Amelie. I wish I could have given these to her. I will give these to her.

Idiot pitstop #2. At least this proves that Adams brother is a piece of poo poo who wouldn't save his own niece.

Run Adam, Run! Sprint to that bed and immediately fall asleep before 2!

It takes until 7:40pm before Adam loses the "very" tired attribute and is an OK level of tired.

Time to go to the pharmacy.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Your images could be a bit bigger, the smaller text is really hard to read.

I struggle with this. The game is massive, the biggest resolution possible is the best because otherwise you can't see much. LP Archive can't have them too big, and the way I fly through LP's I end up having about 300 images per page which is nearly impossible to load for a lot of people.

The Awful app on my phone, my tablet, and my computer all don't care about the image sizes. I want them as big as possible, but not everyone feels that way.

Look at this post here and tell me what images you would prefer.
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149700

Edit: I fired up an old computer running 1024x768 resolution and the small ones look good. The big ones make me scroll horizontally.

I don't know what to do.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 16, 2017

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Spermy Smurf posted:

I struggle with this. The game is massive, the biggest resolution possible is the best because otherwise you can't see much. LP Archive can't have them too big, and the way I fly through LP's I end up having about 300 images per page which is nearly impossible to load for a lot of people.

The Awful app on my phone, my tablet, and my computer all don't care about the image sizes. I want them as big as possible, but not everyone feels that way.

Look at this post here and tell me what images you would prefer.
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149700

Edit: I fired up an old computer running 1024x768 resolution and the small ones look good. The big ones make me scroll horizontally.

I don't know what to do.

70% looks good on my end, readable text. 100% is obviously too big. 60 is the same as 70, maybe something went wrong with the upload. I don't know the archive's width limit though. Why don't you slow it down a little bit? I wasn't expecting to come back after my post to two updates in such a short period of time, that's not how it's normally done I don't think. If I didn't read for a few days I'd be really put off by 10+ new updates to read when I got back to it.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 16, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 5

Adam has nothing worth taking to the pharmacy. No weapons, no lockpicks, no shovel, no crowbar.

I hope Amelia is here. It would be so much easier if she was.

Adam enters via the roof of the entryway.

Adam is looking at muddy footprints. He proceeds cautiously in case someone is here.

The thing behind Adam is a closet, a hidey-hole. It's good for luring enemies in and instakilling them with a backstab or some other weapon. I don't know Adams prowess in battle yet, so I will need to be cautious with this. If my first stab doesn't work and they shoot me in the face... well that'd be bad mmmkay?

The door is locked, but Adam drops to the lower floor via a hole that was blown in it.

gently caress. Get your murdering fists out; I'm coming in hot.

A mans footprints are near the pile of syringes.

The trail leads to the only door.

Peeking through the keyhole shows a corpse.

It's very hard to see the corpse, right? Below is fullsize, you can click it to make it the original size. It's still very hard to see the corpse, but it's there.

The back alley is clear.

Blood leads to one of two places. Maybe Adams brother got one of the fuckers that took Amelia.

There is nothing more I can do tonight. I loot the entire building, leaving behind a few boards and nothing else.

Yes, the safe is clearly broken open (or so the Scooby-Doo clue tells us.)

Adams bio updates three times.

He is hopeful it was a burglary that his brother dragged Amelia into. Maybe it was interrupted, he hopes they didn't hurt Amelai.
He is saddened by his dead brother. Seeing the corpse of someone you know is nothing I'd wish on anyone.
And then he's got two clues. School or Gas Station?

We hear this a lot. Adam upgrades the workshop.

And then begins upgrading the windows to keep out looters. I have no food, but I was able to find two kinds of meds. I don't want to carry them with me so I'm going to see if this keeps looters out.

Adam sleeps for 6 hours, then wakes and makes a Metal Workshop. He makes one lockpick and then it's 8pm and time to get ready.

:siren:So where do we go?:siren:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

eating only apples posted:

70% looks good on my end, readable text. 100% is obviously too big. 60 is the same as 70, maybe something went wrong with the upload. I don't know the archive's width limit though. Why don't you slow it down a little bit? I wasn't expecting to come back after my post to two updates in such a short period of time, that's not how it's normally done I don't think. If I didn't read for a few days I'd be really put off by 10+ new updates to read when I got back to it.

60 does look the same as 70 there doesn't it?

They are different sizes before I upload them, I swear.

And yeah, I plan on slowing down now that I'm at parts that can have some user input but I'm not going to drag this out for a month.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Go to the school.

Looks a lot better! Much more readable. The orange text on the bottom-right character card is impossible to read still so if you reference it in your commentary, best be clear about what it says. Maybe note when it changes.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oooh, this game is fun, whether it's a paladin run, a psychological run (lots of unique backstories, personalities and epilogues) a pacifist ninja run or... otherwise. :D

They get a bit in your face with that graffiti right outside your door though, when you're not being serious, but meh, it's easy to ignore.

My only two major criticisms is that the game is way too easy, even altruist pacifism is too easy. The game needs to be longer to force hard choices. As it is only max stealth with challenge goals is really any difficult.
Secondly the game wouldn't let me run a kids-only house. The narrative of a children's gang, or an abandoned orphan are quite powerful, I can see why they would want to avoid children in combat, but they won't even let them out to scavenge on stealth runs and survive on their own if the worst happens.

School

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 17, 2017

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

children belong in school

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 6

I feel I need to take a minute to tell you how big the school is. It's really big. In a best case scenario I get done searching and looking in every room by 4am. That means I won't be able to get home before dawn so there's a chance I don't stumble into my house until noon which makes the day a complete waste. I could also get shot during the morning when I'm trying to get back home. These things happen, but we need to find Amelia so I'm going to push through the school.

Immediately there are signs that people live here.

There is one pile to dig out which is the reason it takes me so long. The next visit (if there is one) will be a lot quicker, but for now searching things and proceeding cautiously makes it impossible to do this level well.

It's almost midnight. I have 5hrs to explore the entire school since I'm about 20 steps in so far. There are 3 levels, 2 basement levels, and it scrolls way to the right. It's big.

Fuckin jackpot. I got a saw blade.

I havent seen anyone yet and I'm half done the night.

Sublevel-1 has a homeless man saying that people took his food again. Poor dude, but since I'm literally starving (I'll be starving the second I step foot in my house again) I only wish they had left some food for me to steal from this guy.

No, sorry. But ask the others. Maybe they know something.

In the next room there is a note.
Kidnapping a child as a pass to flee the city? Oh god...

Alright, the saw blade was placed there probably permanently in the game. There is a door right there with food on the other side of it. I need 2 pieces of food, or one canned food to get out of Starving. Those are veggies under the grow lights, so I need at least 2 to not die.

Oh my god, really? Please tell me everything you know!
You help me first, then I help you. I'm very hungry.
If you bring me some food I'll tell you what I know.
How about you tell me now and I don't kick the poo poo out of you? Atta boy, Adam!
Oh I wont tell you anything if you hurt me. And if you kill me you'll never find your daughter.
Want to save her? Bring me food, I'll wait here.

3 food? I've got to be honest. That's going to take me at least 3 days to get unless something big happens like I find 5 food in that room next to me.

I cut the lock and forget to screenshot the food I find. Two veggies. Just enough to stave off starvation for Adam. This is bad. The rest of the school hopefully has some good stuff.

The room way bottom right has a dude leaning against a wall by a fire. That's a good way to die of carbon monoxide poisoning but who am I to tell him that?

Adam begins to piece the puzzle together.

The man is very protective of the box. You see the hand logo in the circle? That means the box is owned property and taking from it is stealing. If I had a crowbar or a knife I wouldn't give a poo poo and I'd open this box and steal anything he has and then kill the thief if he started any poo poo. Alas I have nothing. Maybe I'll make myself a crowbar...

Wow, he's kind of a dick.

You don't understand! She's very ill! If you know something you must tell me!
You got hearing problems? I said gently caress off!

Well then. Time to build a crowbar and I'll be back. There is a chance this guy killed Adams brother. For him and Amelia I'll be back. See you real soon...

I find an older couple. Maybe not a couple, but they are hiding out together.

I'm going to sum up the conversations rather than line by line:
Old man: I haven't seen kids in a while but I've seen soldier. They were worse than bandits. Bloody rapists and murderers, pray they don't have your kid.
Old woman: A child? Oh god, they took my poor boy from me! He was only seven! Why did you remind me of this tragedy, leave me alone!

Check the time. 5am is dawn. And with that I've explored everywhere I can get. One locked door (need crowbar for that and good old fashioned face-bashing) and no other people.

Day 7

The day was calm. Is that because I barricaded the windows? Probably. Adam is starving. He walks slowly now. Very slowly.

Adam had a bio update. He's mad about that guy extorting him for food. I'm personally more angry about the guy who likely killed his brother. Also I want whatever is in that box.

It takes Adam 2hrs to get to the kitchen to eat the food we liberated thanks to his slow starvation walk. Building a crowbar takes an hour, another 6 of sleep, and then almost 3hrs of digging before the day is done.

Airport, Ruined Block of Flats, or Gas Station? All have some food supposedly, but will I be able to access it with just a crowbar? I dunno.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Small update because my computer did an update and was going to restart despite me telling it not to. I know I can cancel it, but if I did that I'd never restart...

Night 7

I'm going to the gas station.

I refuse to leave all of my meds and bandages at home with no one to guard them, so I load up. I am not sure how I didn't see the bottle of meds, but I should have taken that too. I need to make sure I have stuff available to trade Franco for all of his food when he shows up eventually. Every night I'll be taking my expensive items with me which hurts my scavenging, but helps my survival.

The tanks were drained before the war. That's good. Immediately I see the telltale red-circle offscreen to the left. That tells me something is moving there; it could be a mouse or a person.

And then it says "Hmmm maybe there is something good in here." At this point I know it's a friendly scavenger and there is no danger so I move forward to ask if he's seen my daughter.

I almost cream myself because I accidentally brought stuff to trade.

No, I'm certain I haven't seen her. But since you're here we could trade. I have some really good stuff.

I trade him my two herbal meds (packaged medicines) and some stuff I found for two food (score!) and some coffee.

I loot the rest of the place and then begin digging. In the basement is a grated door. I absolutely need to come back to that, they always have good stuff in them. I might come back tomorrow because I really need more food and maybe I can trade the guy for food again, plus bring a saw blade and get whatever is in that back room.

The magnifying glass is a note. This means I absolutely need to come back tomorrow.

I loot everything (more food!) and go back to trade some more. I want those bottled meds he has since I don't think I have any (I would have brought them with me if I had any, except the fact I missed them and left them at home). It's too rich for my blood though. I can't trade away that much stuff for bottled meds. Franko will be cheaper.

And now we're at day 8.

:siren: Someone tell me where to go tonight. I technically have enough food to go back to the school and pay off the hobo, plus I have a crowbar if you want me to murder that hobo who may have killed Adams brother. If I give the hobo 3 out of my 4 food I'll still be Very Hungry. I will most likely build a stove and cook a nice meal to stave off the hunger, but I have a lot of stuff I want to do in the house so I'm not sure that's in the cards today.

Other choice would be to come back here with more stuff and a saw to cut the grate and get the goodies mentioned in that note.:siren:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The house was raided. I got incredibly lucky that they only took some tobacco and 17 water rations. They didn't take the meds that I had forgotten.

No rest for Adam, dig out the last piece of the puzzle and find out what is in that locked cabinet.

A hatchet. Hell yeah, now I can cut up everything in the house to use as firewood and lumber to board up the windows even further. The thing on the bottom is a mixing bowl, can be used for meds or making ammo. Pretty useless for the next 15 days or so.

Make a crude stove.

Get some firewood from the armoire.

Cook and eat some food. It's very expensive to do, it costs 5 water and 1 food. I only make the one helping (despite Adam saying he wants more) because I need to save 3 helpings for the hobo at the school.

Back to bed until 8.

Time to head to the school. As I said before, I am going to bring all of my expensive items because I can't afford to have them get stolen.

Did you bring the food?

You can waste your breath threatening me or go look for your daughter.

This was totally not worth it. Didn't cost me anything since I had to bring the crowbar anyway, but there was an empty shell casing and a single lumber back here.

You killed my brother or at least you know who did.

And then I forgot to get screenshots. I messed up the fight anyway so I'm embarrassed. I stole from the box, he yelled at me to stop it. Then I took out my crowbar which glitched the game for about one second. When it unfroze the dude was standing next to me with a knife.

Instead of running through the school and hiding in one of the hidey-holes I was forced to engage in hand to hand combat.

He stabbed me once (slightly wounded) but I crushed his face.

I loot the corpse and the old man comes to investigate, then runs away. The old woman up the ladder says "Gunshots!? I better hide!"

Adam runs home.

Pretty good haul. Two canned foods mean Adam can live for 4 days without any more food. The rat trap in the other building is still not producing. I think I'll build another one soon.

I don't know if that old man was telling the truth, but it's the only clue I've got. It seems I have no choice but to look for Amelia at the hospital and hope she's alright.

Oh I've missed you, Franko.

Two herbal meds for everything he has that I can realistically get. I forgot to sell the jewellery instead of meds. That's a pretty big mistake on my part.

I make a saw blade, but I have a new location I need to go to. I want to go back to the gas station, but I gotta find Amelia.

I throw on bandages and then go to bed for 5.5hrs. It takes until 7:50 before Adam loses the "very" tired attribute. That was cutting it a little too close, barely 8 seconds realtime.

Time to go to the hospital.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 20, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 9

I take everything I think I might need. In the old game a doctor is available for trading so I half-hope the things I take will let me buy food from him.

The guard tells me he's got an eye on me. Then tells me he knows nothing about Amelia.

Four floors, and to the right is a whole lot more.

There is a note in an area I'm not supposed to be. I read it.

32 kids died in one shelling. :(

The next floor has a closed door and a cabinet I can smash open. There is a nurse inside the room. I leave her alone because she's talking about surgery and I don't want to interrupt.

There's a guy sleeping on the 3rd floor. I wake his rear end up.

He hasn't seen anything and tells me he's sorry for my loss. Adam says he isn't giving up and gets the above message.

The man goes on to say: Look! They tortured me! Mutilated me! Bloody bastards! I hope they rot in the ground before all this is over!

Way to the right is a Scooby-Doo clue on a bed with a woman. I can't make out what it is, so we go to check it out.

Ah. poo poo.

I wake her up and demand answers.

I got it from the nurse. Ask her if you don't beleive me. The nights are cold here, especially after the bombing. Please let me keep the hoodie. I'm very weak, even a minor infection can kill me.

Yep, that's Amelias alright. Adam lets the poor woman keep it.

There is a soldier smoking upstairs keeping an eye on... something? There is one private property stash and nothing else. :shrug:

Is that so? Lemme guess, you need her as an excuse to use the humanitarian corridor.
I beg your pardon? She's very ill and I need to find her.
Yeah, right. You're not the first rebel to try to flee the city in the guise of an innocent parent. I can tell you have blood on your hands. Don't try anything, I've got my eye on you.

That was a huge waste of my time. Lets go talk to the nurse.

That didn't work either.

There are 3 options hovering over the nurse. The top one is a medical bag. That one should get her to heal me with 100% cure rate on Slightly Wounded. I shouldn't have used my bandages from home.

The other options are asking about Amelia, and then asking about the hoodie.

The nurse only responds to the hoodie question.

Oh, we've had some children here. Maybe Doctor Jefimow could help you... but last night he was taken by soldiers.
Where did they take him?
The security guard by the entrance might know. As to the hoodie; I found it discaraded on the 2nd floor. Please don't take it, we're very short on warm clothes and blankets.

I should have brought the stupid sawblade. :argh:

I'm looking for my daughter and he might know where she is. I must talk to him.
He won't be in any condition to talk, even if they let him out which I strongly doubt. But... I can tell that you're desperate so: There's an abandoned toy store nearby. People are taken there for interragation. I wouldn't go in there if I were you though. it's suicide.

Well that sounds like fun. At times like this I miss Roman.

It's about time! Rat meat, hell yeah!

I build a second trap and use the third option to set it. The first option is meat, the 2nd is canned food (never ever ever ever do this), and the third option is fertilizer scraps. Always turn fertilizer into meat if you can.

I board up more windows because I plan on leaving my meds here tonight. I am going to loot a lot of soldier corpses if they get in my way so I'll need the backpack space.

As a last resort I make cooked meals. See how expensive they are? 15 water is a lot of resources but these are cooked meals that are nutritious. I am not after the nutrition side of it because more importantly to me is the fact that cooked meals on a stove can't get stolen in a raid. I can survive 6 days even if everything gets stolen from me tonight.

Adam sleeps for 6 hours, and then gears up for a dangerous nightly search. Amelia is the only thing that matters.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 10

Oh, did I mention I had a spare hour so I built myself a shotgun?
:getin:

The building to the right has a hidey-hole next to the door. Perfect for eavesdropping.

Wrap it up, I'm getting hungry.
It won't take long now.
I'm going back to the basement to finish the job. You keep an eye out for insurgents.
No worries, have fun. I'd take sentry duty over interrogation any day.

Adam sneaks up behind one as he's lighting a cigarette and :ese:

All those red circles downstairs mean there are people downstairs. Three to be exact. The entire upstairs is empty and has one thing to dig out, but I don't have time for that now.

That locked cabinet to the right holds some more meds and bandages.

I was just... helping people!
Stop lying, you're helping the rebels! *smacks the doctor*
Where are the survivors? Where did you send them?

I'll tell you. Just dont... don't hit me anymore!
The church, people were gathering there for the humanitarian corridor. For many it was the last chance, especially for the sick children.
Ugh, how can you even look at yourself in the mirror?
The doctor, tied to a chair and being beaten still has some balls.

Adam has a moment of clarity: The church! That's where the doctor was sending the children!

And with that bit of information Adam turns on his heel and walks back home.

Not really. I didn't get all gussied up with my murdering shotgun for nothing.

Open the door, knife the first guy who had his back to you, then boomstick the other one before he even gets a step toward you. That was far easier than I expected. No screenshots of the action because I was expecting a fight, but it was literally four clicks. Door, step closer, cut one guys throat, click on stunned soldier on the other side of the room.

Thank you, I thought I was done for!
Where is she? Was she taken to the corridor?! Uhhh yeah? He just said so.
Probably... I sent most of my patients there.
Where? Tell me!
The old church. You should go to the old church.

And then I loot 30 ammunition, 3 knives, 2 assault rifles, and the bandages and whatnot mentioned earlier.

No one stole my stuff, that's good.

I managed to save the doctor from those murderers and he told me to talk to Father Damir at the church. He knows where Amelia is. Soon we'll be together again.

I literally have nothing to do today. No rats to cook, I can't build a heater because I need more materials... I'm just going to sleep and eat.

After being fully rested by sleeping 11 hours I try to drink Adams way out of depression. No dice on that.

I bring all of Amelias stuff; her doggie and her crayons because I'm a good father. I also bring enough weapons to kill 30 people because I'm a good father.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 17, 2017

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

:allears: I need to get back into this game.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Good god, there's going to be some intense poo poo soon.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Why would you need multiple rifles for this?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Trade.

If you have multiple people like the original game more firearms are helpful. One to guard the house while another scavenges.

Shotgun is good for up close obviously, assault rifle is good for killing multiple soldiers at once.

Edit: Oh, you meant why do I have 2 rifles in my backpack? I double clicked rather than single clicked and didn't notice until just now.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 20, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 11

So many bodies, are they the people who came here for the humanitarian corridor?

Civilian bodies line the entryway outside the church. I hope Amelia made it out of there alive.

After watching for a minute there is a man standing immobile by the door while a nurse (kneeling) moves from patient to patient. If they provide care they aren't hostile, that's the rule.

Please, tell me she didn't die in the massacre....
She didn't...
Thank goodness! Is she here!?

She is. You can go to her. My prayers are with her.

Hell yeah, time to keep moving.

Oh no....

This next part needs a video, screenshots don't tell the story as well as a little video does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tigxCVqows

Edit: Replaced the video with higher quality. Had to recover and replay it using the savegame.alt file. So I did scrum-save once so far, but it was for this video. Video is also at 10FPS to cut down on the size. Sorry for the choppiness.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 20, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, I see.

The problem with the original game is that you might have had hope. :unsmigghh:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Well that ending was a bit... quick.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, I've got to be honest. I'm annoyed I spent $2 on what amounted to less than 2hrs of gameplay.

If I didn't have to sit and watch him sleep it would have been more like 1hr of gameplay.

That annoys me so much about this game... Watching someone sleep and not going to a different screen because if you go to a different screen it pauses the game. And no, you can't just hit "end day" with the guy in bed because hitting end day doesn't let him sleep the remaining hours of daylight away. No, it just ends it 'as is' and your character will still be tired.

When you have 3 or 4 people in the house and have rotating schedules it's fine, but for this LP it was terrible.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's a pretty crap ending IMO. But I enjoyed the LP and would enjoy an actual playthrough.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Cassa posted:

That's a pretty crap ending IMO. But I enjoyed the LP and would enjoy an actual playthrough.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795744

It's in the OP, but might require archives. Unsure on that.

It's a playthrough I did of the base game, nothing else. No kids in that one.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Also that ending made no goddamn sense. Like denial wrought amnesia is kind of lazy but why was everyone giving you clues when there were no clues to give?
It's like the developers got bored and just went "screw this!" and just tacked on an ending.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And who killed his brother?

:argh:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Roman, obviously.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ah, geez. That's a poor ending.

And somehow I nearly missed the whole LP, dang!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Okay, I'm playing through this now, and I'm confused. I got shot trying to save the doctor and then came back the next night. Whoops, they killed him. Complete with an "O god, they killed him, I could have saved him" message. But the game didn't end or anything. And my dude is still saying he has to go find and rescue the doctor, even though he's dead. Is this a bug? What are you supposed to do?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Did you eavesdrop to what the doctor said while bring interrogated? Can you go to the church?

If not, I don't know. There is probably more than one way to finish the game but I only played it once through.

If you can't, the save is usually in the c:\users\public\documents.

Rename the StoriesSaveGame to .old. Then rename the storiesSavegame.alt to storiesSaveGame with no .alt.

Those names may not be exactly right, but close enough for phoneposting for you to figure out.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Okay, so when I went back yet again, there was a note there directing me to the church. When the ending played, it still said I got the info from eavesdropping, though. So maybe there aren't different endings. I should also note that I managed to play this scenario without buying it, somehow. When I hit random for my second ever attempt at surviving, it just started up.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
That's... a really crap ending, honestly. I get the whole bleak tone of the game, but it just makes no sense, comes out of nowhere, and leaves open large holes in what actually happened. I'd be pretty drat annoyed if I'd bought this. Sorry, OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Eh, it's what I got from the whole 'gently caress This War' tagging outside your home. I mean, that's a bit on the nose whether you're in serious mode or trying to get the worst ending for the chipper girl.

• Locked thread