Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

because no one else made a thread

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Antonio loving Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I watched on and off at work and it just didn't seem like a very interesting game, despite the score. Helmet catch was pretty cool though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/931389243871649792

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

...and so was the second half

except for this catch

https://twitter.com/thefootballgirl/status/931374656207986690

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Good game. Very nice game to watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I only watched the second half and spent the entirety feeling bad for Mariota. The more fresh faces get added to the mix, the less things change

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/931374566433103872

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Welp

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Big Ben is washed up, y'all

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did anyone else hear Cris Collinsworth gushing about Jonathan loving Cyprien?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Big Ben is washed up, y'all

Fewer people would think this if it wasn't for Big Ben regularly making a big drama whoring production out how hurt he is and how he's starting to think about retirement.

If you just look at his actual play on the field it's somewhat worse this season, but nothing to make you say HOLY poo poo HE DEAD or anything like that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The problem really is that his deep accuracy is gone but Haley still calls like a dozen streaks down the sideline per game.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
lol so many people wrote off the steelers after they lost to the jaguars

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

b-minus1 posted:

lol so many people wrote off the steelers after they lost to the jaguars

The Tomlin Steelers have blown games against inferior teams for no visible reason other than general sloppiness forever.

Their only real danger is their hilarious inability to ever inconvenience Brady. But on the other hand the Pats defense has lost like 50 IQ points in the secondary since February, so maybe that ends up a coin flip game where the loser scores 45 or something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

The Tomlin Steelers have blown games against inferior teams for no visible reason other than general sloppiness forever.

Hell, they needed a comeback against the Colts last week

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Zerilan posted:

The problem really is that his deep accuracy is gone but Haley still calls like a dozen streaks down the sideline per game.

1st series of the game, Ben delivers a perfectly thrown 41 yard bomb to AB for a TD on a free play.

TFF: Ben's deep ball is gone imo

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
They terminally have issues with the worst teams on their schedule (except the Browns)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The NFL is scripted

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kalli posted:

Hell, they needed a comeback against the Colts last week

Ok, but the Steelers haven't won a comeback game since like 2011, so

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

1st series of the game, Ben delivers a perfectly thrown 41 yard bomb to AB for a TD on a free play.

Tbf I was actually worried about it earlier in the season. He kept missing guys who had separation if they were 20 yards downfield. It seems fine now but I’m an actual football idiot so who knows

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Time posted:

They terminally have issues with the worst teams on their schedule (except the Browns)

Maybe they aren't big fat jerks like the Pats

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Metapod posted:

The NFL is scripted

They need better writers then.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Time posted:

Tbf I was actually worried about it earlier in the season. He kept missing guys who had separation if they were 20 yards downfield. It seems fine now but I’m an actual football idiot so who knows

Opposing defenses have been play a poo poo ton of Cover 2 with 2 high safeties, taking away the Steelers bread and butter, deep sideline passes, and there's really not been any corresponding offensive adjustment until late in the 2nd quarter vs the Colts. Last night was the 1st time I saw deep in-cutting post routes all gd year.

Beyond that, Ben has made several Cover 2 holeshots between the corner and safety on the sideline -- what Gruden called the Turkey Hole the other night when Stafford dropped one on MNF. That's pretty much the most difficult throw an NFL QB can make. That's how I knew we weren't looking at late stage Peyton w/r/t Ben.

Overall, I'd say the playcalling up to this point has seriously hampered the offense. It really looked to me like Ben and the coaching staff had a plan to limit Ben's out of the pocket creativity to reduce the hits he takes, hopefully avoid his regularly scheduled mid-season injury. Well, turns out you can't force Roethlisberger to play like Brady. It doesn't work

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

And then finished the first half 10/22. He hasn't been nearly as successful throwing deep as the last couple years yet he's still first in deep pass attempts per game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

All sorts of happy things

I'm not one to say the Steelers are bad, I mean I'm terrified that my team will meet them in the playoffs again because Pittsburgh owns Kansas City.

But it seems like you're putting an awful lot of stock into a Thursday night football game here.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Well, turns out you can't force Roethlisberger to play like Brady. It doesn't work

OTOH the offense has been its most productive when it's primarily a series of quick 5-15 yard passes.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not one to say the Steelers are bad, I mean I'm terrified that my team will meet them in the playoffs again because Pittsburgh owns Kansas City.

But it seems like you're putting an awful lot of stock into a Thursday night football game here.

Idk, I've seen things get progressively better for 3 straight games. Maybe the team gets its head out of its rear end going forward, maybe it won't. I'm just not on the "Ben is washed up" b.s. that's been the narrative all season. I'm more inclined to blame Todd Haley

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
He's not washed up, he's just not quite what he was 2-3 years ago and the offense hasn't adjusted to that.

Blame on the offense not living up to its potential is definitely 90+% on Haley though.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Zerilan posted:

He's not washed up, he's just not quite what he was 2-3 years ago and the offense hasn't adjusted to that.

Blame on the offense not living up to its potential is definitely 90+% on Haley though.

I don't buy that. Again, the Cover 2, 2 deep has been played against them since opening day vs Browns. The offense has relied on the sideline deep ball since forever, and defenses have committed to taking that away. When your OC is too stubborn to adjust, you get what you've seen.

Wonder why Juju' s 97 yard TD vs Lions worked? It was a seam route, not a sideline pass or bubble screen

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

A 6th round pick.

NFL teams are clueless.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

A 6th round pick.

NFL teams are clueless.

Not even the first WR the Steelers drafted.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I think Roethlisberger has been fairly consistent the past 3 years, he's faced above average pass defenses the first half of this season and he looks worse because of it. I'm not saying he's perfect and doesn't under perform with the rest of the team sometimes, but you generally know what you're going to get.

He is definitely a drama lover and generates a lot of his own narratives, I'd bet there's some truth to his statements about pondering retirement or various injuries but when you're putting them on blast to the national media it's going to get spun 100 different ways and he knows it.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Kalli posted:

Not even the first WR the Steelers drafted.

Shame we couldn't keep both but snagging Brown and Manny Sanders is the same draft was just ridiculous.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Todd Haley may be a miserable HC and a bad OC but he has always been great at identifying and developing receivers. Arizona was full of good receivers by the time Haley left, Dwayne Bowe had that All-Pro 15-TD season back in 2010 or so right after Haley arrived, and then Pittsburgh now. I know he wasn't part of the team when they drafted AB/Sanders but still, I think he's a good coach to have around if you want to develop your receivers. Except Jon loving Baldwin

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Todd Haley may be a miserable HC and a bad OC but he has always been great at identifying and developing receivers. Arizona was full of good receivers by the time Haley left, Dwayne Bowe had that All-Pro 15-TD season back in 2010 or so right after Haley arrived, and then Pittsburgh now. I know he wasn't part of the team when they drafted AB/Sanders but still, I think he's a good coach to have around if you want to develop your receivers. Except Jon loving Baldwin

I agree with your point, I remember Dwayne Bowe saying the only reason he started playing well again was Haley personally kicking his rear end everyday, but the Steelers have been drafting amazing WRs for awhile now. Kevin Colbert became the GM in 2000 so I guess he gets most of the credit.

1998: Hines Ward, 3rd
2000: Plex, 1st
2002: Randle El, 2nd
2006: Santonio Holmes, 1st
2009: Mike Wallace, 3rd
2010: Emmanual Sanders, 3rd; Antonio Brown, 6th
2014: Martavis Bryant, 4th
2017: Juju, 2nd

They also drafted Sammie Coates and Markus Wheaton in there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Todd Haley for Ravens GM

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
I sense a distinct lack of Limas Sweed in that Steelers draft history

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
edit wrong thread

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Belichick breaks down plays from Pats at Broncos