Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

easiest method is smashburgers. make ~1/4 lb balls of ground beef, then smush them flat into a hot skillet with some sort of flat metal object. i use the bottom of a saucepan. season the top, flip after a minute or two, put cheese on it, and it'll be done about when the cheese is well melted.

there are more complicated burger recipes, but they aren't necessarily better and smashburgers are all but foolproof.

Pretty much this, the best burgers are uncomplicated. 80/20 ground beef from any grocery store. I only use salt and pepper for seasoning. Don't be afraid to turn up the heat, even if you aren't smashing, at minimum medium-high for burgers. And American cheese only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

easiest method is smashburgers. make ~1/4 lb balls of ground beef, then smush them flat into a hot skillet with some sort of flat metal object. i use the bottom of a saucepan. season the top, flip after a minute or two, put cheese on it, and it'll be done about when the cheese is well melted.

there are more complicated burger recipes, but they aren't necessarily better and smashburgers are all but foolproof.

This seemed to work well, thanks! Any rule of thumb on seasoning? I threw a bit of a spice mixture on mine (salt, pepper, garlic, onion) but not sure if I under did it, or how easy it'd be to over do it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

This seemed to work well, thanks! Any rule of thumb on seasoning? I threw a bit of a spice mixture on mine (salt, pepper, garlic, onion) but not sure if I under did it, or how easy it'd be to over do it.

You make one smash patty at a time and season it. Then make another an season it more or less. Then keep repeating until you've made 12 smash patties to achieve the perfect for you seasoning level. Then it's coma time.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm craving burgs and I want to get away from orderin fast food, but freezer section burgers are always these oversized slabs of flavorless meat. Can someone give me a recipe for making tasty burgs at home on a pan?

The advice already dispensed is good, but man it is such bullshit that you cannot buy good pre-frozen patties. Dividing up the ground beef into patties and freezing them yourself is incomparably better. Why can't you get the same quality in a box/bag? :capitalism:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just use fresh beef every time

Also don't salt in advance, just before or during cooking

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

smash burgers are thin enough that you really only need to season one side, but its all to taste. nothing wrong with salt, pepper, garlic, onion. you can feel free to go a little more creative - i dont bother trying to get a big crust on both sides, usually ends up probably a little too crispy. this means that if you smash and then season the top, you're unlikely to burn anything.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

dont forget onions. get some onions. i like having both griddled and raw at the same time.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I also just season smashburgs after the initial smash. It's almost always just salt, they really don't need pepper.

I will occasionally get a little weird and do some Goya sazon or adobo and make it feel a little chopped cheese-ey feeling.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Smashburgers aren't definitively the best burgers but they are extremely easy to learn how to cook, and in the process of doing so you learn the fundamentals of most other types of meat cooking. Once you smash a burger you can cook a steak, and once you cook a steak you can move on the most difficult meat, chicken.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I put a bit of soy sauce in with the mince before I form the patties

#noburgerrules

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Oxyclean posted:

I'm craving burgs and I want to get away from orderin fast food, but freezer section burgers are always these oversized slabs of flavorless meat. Can someone give me a recipe for making tasty burgs at home on a pan?

Really been digging these;
https://www.aspicyperspective.com/best-hamburger-patty-recipe/

2 pounds ground chuck
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon black pepper

Not sure if it's the panko, the Worcestershire, the milk or the spices, but the combination works really well.
Made a few dozen for a big cookout, but it was cancelled last minute so they went into the freezer.
Been having them every Friday for the last few weeks and they've been great every time

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

field balm posted:

I put a bit of soy sauce in with the mince before I form the patties

#noburgerrules

This is probably incredibly delicious, sounds great.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Since we're in how-to-smash-burger land, I wrote a long blog post about a small, local (Chicago) burger joint and how you can recreate their burger at home.

It's here:
https://boundedbybuns.com/redhot-ranch-double-cheeseburger/

I also spent some time in the blog post talking about the tools that I use to smash burgers indoors.

I think if I were talking to an extreme beginner with no real smashing or scraping tools I wouldn't suggest that they start with a smash burger unless they're making one patty only. What I would suggest is to form two 1/4-ish pound 80/20 meat balls (no seasoning) and smash those before cooking into 6 or 7-inch squares of parchment paper until you have a fairly thin patty. Then you just flip the parchment into a ripping hot pan and only press a little with a spatula on the back side of the parchment to ensure that you have good meat-to-pan surface area. Remove the parchment carefully and then season with salt and ground black pepper (or your favorite seasoning blend). You might want to put a touch of oil on the parchment and rub it in before smashing the meat into it to make sure it doesn't stick, but usually it doesn't for me.

This is just easier to do if you've never made a smash burger before and it's easier to control in a smaller skillet to make two patties at once.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Been cooking with my almost-6yo this week since he's suddenly developed an interest in it. Tonight was burger night :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hello burger thread; turkey smash burgers, yay or nay? My partner and I stick to turkey burgers due to dietary restrictions on her end. I've made them for a while for us with a pretty tasty recipe but only recently got a cast iron skillet and have been dabbling in trying to smash those fuckers flat. I use a metal spatula to do it but I feel like I can never get it satisfyingly smashed although last time I was getting closer I think. Is the turkey just going to dry out if I take it further? Is it possible to achieve the same level of crispiness that you get with beef? I'm usually making bacon in the pan beforehand so I have some bacon grease in there which seems to help, I have to try the bottom of a sauce pan thing next time to get a more even press I think.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

explosivo posted:

Hello burger thread; turkey smash burgers, yay or nay? My partner and I stick to turkey burgers due to dietary restrictions on her end. I've made them for a while for us with a pretty tasty recipe but only recently got a cast iron skillet and have been dabbling in trying to smash those fuckers flat. I use a metal spatula to do it but I feel like I can never get it satisfyingly smashed although last time I was getting closer I think. Is the turkey just going to dry out if I take it further? Is it possible to achieve the same level of crispiness that you get with beef? I'm usually making bacon in the pan beforehand so I have some bacon grease in there which seems to help, I have to try the bottom of a sauce pan thing next time to get a more even press I think.

I make a lot of smash burgers out of beef and my wife doesn't eat beef. So I will occasionally smash her turkey burgers before I smash my own burgers. I have not tried turkey burgers in a cast iron skillet, I typically use a stainless steel surface which makes things a lot easier to scrape up. But they should work in a skillet as well. My wife seems to enjoy the smashed turkey patties that I make for her.

My biggest tip would be to make sure everything has a thin layer of oil on it. Your smashing tool, your spatula and the surface of the pan all need to be greased up to make sure there is no sticking.

The surface of your skillet needs to be pretty hot, around 400 F / 205 C to get a good sear. Cook hard on the first side 2 or 3 minutes and 1 or so on the second side, add cheese and the stack the patties.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the pointers! Oiling up my smashing implement is probably a big one I'm missing because I do always feel like it's sticking to the spatula or I'm in danger of breaking the patty apart (which I did once but let the cheese mend the pieces together so no big deal). It's good to know it's possible, I'll definitely be trying this next time. Possibly this weekend. :chef:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I got the Made In grill press

hold me closer tiny smashburg

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got some comically small buns for em but turkey bacon smashburgs turned out pretty well!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think about the title of this thread at least twice a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay did this again tonight with a few key changes and goddamn these were bangin.

-Real kaiser rolls, appropriately sized for the patties
-used a heavier saucepan to smash the burgs then left the pan on for a bit to keep it pressed against the skillet
-made a much better burger sauce (found itt I think), also used real duke's mayo and not the lite stuff we had in the fridge. Last time I used one from ATK but it just tasted like ketchup+mayo, I would eat this stuff off a shoe
-said gently caress the fancy turkey burger recipe and only put salt+pepper on these as they went down on the skillet