Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was his public debut. he didn't have years of selfless heroism to endear himself to the populace. it was zod threatening the world if superman didn't show up, followed by a superpowered slugfest where normal people were treated like ants.

But there was a also spaceship thing destroying the city for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
comics are for children

therefore comic books adapted into movies are also for children

if you find something made for children entertaining and / or intellectually satisfying then you are hosed in the head

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BloodRed posted:

comics are for children

therefore comic books adapted into movies are also for children

if you find something made for children entertaining and / or intellectually satisfying then you are hosed in the head

Uhh no

Film is the highest art form, whereas comics are made of reading and drawing, which are the lowest

Ergo, comic book movies are actually the highest form of entertainment, quid pro quo

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Universe?

What movies is that from

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Armond White posted:

During Justice League’s story, Aquaman refers to his history from the kingdom of Atlantis and his personal domestic conflicts—all part of the way Snyder makes comic book movies express mature experience. Most importantly, he films actors so that their emotional lives are also expressed physically: their commitment to justice, truth and righteousness take on bodily strength. Mid-battle, Aquaman swims through undersea currents with the force of ejaculate.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Madcosby posted:

Dark Universe?

What movies is that from
That was The Mummy. It was going to lead into a bunch of updated Universal monster movies with the Wolfman and Frankenstein's Monster and the Invisible Man and stuff but it bombed hilariously.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Madcosby posted:

Dark Universe?

What movies is that from

Remakes of the classic Universal monster movies. "Monsterverse" was already taken by Godzilla/King Kong.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of King Kong holy poo poo am I the only person that thinks that the new movie with Samuel L Jackson as General Really Hates Giant Apes For Some Reason was really really REALLY terrible?

God drat that was a bad movie.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of King Kong holy poo poo am I the only person that thinks that the new movie with Samuel L Jackson as General Really Hates Giant Apes For Some Reason was really really REALLY terrible?

God drat that was a bad movie.

Nobody saw it, so yes you might be the only human alive who knows

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Well, lemme tell ya. I didn't pay a dime to see it and I still think they owe me some sort of refund.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Gal Gadot's accent is annoying a hell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Dennis System posted:

Especially when none of the other Amazonians had accents anything remotely like hers. It felt like she had a speech impediment or something.

She's also supposed to be able to speak a whole bunch of other languages (she chats to the Native American guy in his own language in her solo film) and be a world-class linguist LOL

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

The Dennis System posted:

The wrongest opinion. A weird amazon from a mystical land should have an accent.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

most of the marvel movies are boring instead of actively bad which is the issue with dc's sans wonder lady. there is something more interesting about a cinematic garbage fire than a ho hum middle of the road film tho. suicide squad is more interesting to watch than thor because it's so bad and there's a fun to going over everything that went wrong and wondering how it all fell apart.

Did you even see Ragnarok?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly I think more people are annoyed by Superman using multiple civilian skyscrapers like a drunken rear end in a top hat might use a broken beer bottle than the Zod poo poo.

One of the only decent ideas in Batman vs Superman is that Batman hates Superman for, you know, pinballing the alien overlord around TWO cities until both are flattened.

You go back in time about 10 years, fans LOVE Superman doing the exact same thing to Darkseid AND treating it like a source of amusement in the JLU series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwU0QkcrNVQ

Superman 2 had Superman challenge The Zod Squad to a fight in the middle of Metropolis, too (okay, you can argue this was a plan on his part to lure them into a trap later.) poo poo, I love that scene, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBZH6u9sSW0

Now, you can argue that a LOT of different stuff is going on in both these things that make it much different than MoS. You've got the cartoon delivery system of the first one, along with a series that had established that Darkseid pushed a lot of Superman's buttons and tended to make him act out of character as a result. You can argue that the Donner film didn't have the rampant destruction and there was some charm to Superman being, well, 'Superman'. Even when he's wanting to fight someone, he's wanting them to come outside for it. That's just being polite.

Is it just the elevated sense of dreariness in MoS that hurts it more than anything else? Superman is just too alienated and unhappy and serious that if he'd just openly mock Zod's ambitions or have a little moment of satisfaction that we'd forgive a lot of the movie?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is there a bigger focus on Wonder Woman in Justice League or is the ad I keep getting on Youtube bullshit.

I love bullshit movie marketing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Bigger compared to what? She is in it a bunch, headbutts Superman at one point, makes it clear she could kill Batman if she wanted at another. That particular marketing is not bullshit I guess.

*also uses her womanly compassion to lure Cyborg into the JL

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

most of the marvel movies are boring instead of actively bad which is the issue with dc's sans wonder lady. there is something more interesting about a cinematic garbage fire than a ho hum middle of the road film tho. suicide squad is more interesting to watch than thor because it's so bad and there's a fun to going over everything that went wrong and wondering how it all fell apart.

Bad... thing... good... yes, I see now.

Was this justache league poster put in this thread yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Nobody saw it, so yes you might be the only human alive who knows

I'm watching it right now and can confirm bad movie is bad

It's bad in a painfully average way and has absolutely nothing interesting to say, which is the same problem marvel movies have. DC, on paper, is better at attempting to communicate social commentary but they're not very fun movies to watch. More Logan, less Justice league pls

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 27, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, second weekend estimates are in, that should give us a good idea of how Justice League is tracking ...

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...e-League-(2017)

Well that's not good.

Its second week drop off wasn't as bad as it could have been (it only dropped 56.6%, Batman v Superman dropped 69.1%) but it was still the lowest second weekend of all the DCEU films. Batman v Superman and Man of Steel had really steep dropoffs because word of mouth killed their hype but it looks like audiences learned their lesson and Justice League didn't have enough hype to inflate their opening numbers, so even though it didn't have a huge dropoff that's because its numbers were already lovely.

violentlycitrus posted:

Was this justache league poster put in this thread yet?

Also this expanded version:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
who gives a poo poo about domestic box office

the big money is in international

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

You go back in time about 10 years, fans LOVE Superman doing the exact same thing to Darkseid AND treating it like a source of amusement in the JLU series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwU0QkcrNVQ
Speaking just for myself, I always hated this moment. It wasn't even written by a regular, it was written by a guy who--by his own admission--didn't 'get' Superman. I swear they act like this character is a loving Hypercube. Still, there were a lot of moments in the DCAU where buildings got rocked and I didn't care. I guess it's just a tone-thing. The DCAU doesn't even pretend to be in the real world and never discuss casualties unless they matter to the plot, so you stay invested in the characters and ballet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

who gives a poo poo about domestic box office

the big money is in international

Yeah but the studio gets a much much lower cut of the international box office. The international numbers are more important if the film is co-financed by foreign production companies (half the films coming out these days seem to be co-financed by Chinese production companies) but otherwise the overseas ticket sales don't mean much.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 27, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm still waiting for a comic about people with really small time powers that are clever enough to use them in interesting ways. Like I've always said if I just had the power to make light bulbs burn out It'd be a cakewalk to become dictator of a small country just by popping bulbs and intimidating people with the implication that maybe you could do the same thing to their brains. Comics are such a broad canvas, and people who are willing to take advantage of all that space is kinda rare.

*Not that I'm saying my idea is super awesome, just that there's a lot of room for coloring outside the lines that goes unused.

Oh duuude

. Dude who has the power of bad luck,well that's dumb right? Try and stab him and you might slip and stab your eye out,try and snipe him and get ready for your wife to walk in front of your shot by sheer terrible coincidence,blow him up? Better hope that detonator works.
He'd be perfect and he'd always be a loser cause he's got bad luck so never too powerful.

Also the sorrows power in Mgs3 was a neat concept,talking to the dead ain't so amazing but if you can speak to dead soldiers on a battlefield you can find out all sorts...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
just watched thor ragnarok and if you slogged through all the movies of the marvel cinematic universe hoping for some gold at the end of the poo poo heap its not some avengers movie with thanos its this. its like a self aware love child of the marvel cinematic universe and flash gordon and the 80s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

violentlycitrus posted:

Bad... thing... good... yes, I see now.

i didn't say this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm still waiting for a comic about people with really small time powers that are clever enough to use them in interesting ways. Like I've always said if I just had the power to make light bulbs burn out It'd be a cakewalk to become dictator of a small country just by popping bulbs and intimidating people with the implication that maybe you could do the same thing to their brains. Comics are such a broad canvas, and people who are willing to take advantage of all that space is kinda rare.

*Not that I'm saying my idea is super awesome, just that there's a lot of room for coloring outside the lines that goes unused.

it's a pretty neat idea but how does he stop someone with a gun from just popping him between the eyes

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

it's a pretty neat idea but how does he stop someone with a gun from just popping him between the eyes

The power to make some one have a sneeze fit at any time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lovely super powers?

sounds like a job for eye-scream!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm still waiting for a comic about people with really small time powers that are clever enough to use them in interesting ways.

Read Corto Maltese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
there should be a superhero that can like go blind at will and turn into other elements so they make him be plutonium and then take his poops and make bombs o_O, or a guy that can shoot three guns, or what if they put king koopa in it

• Locked thread