Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Calaveron posted:

It's the skill that allows you to speak with pretty girls

I can't tell if you're serious, and that is legitimately terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

abraxas posted:

I have a probably stupid question about the battle system but if anyone could maybe enlighten me. I'll keep it as unspoilery as possible.

I'm not very far into the game, so maybe that is the problem, but I have party members now but no blade yet. In battle I see this stuff pop up in the top right and I'm really not sure what it's telling me or what I'm supposed to do with it. I'm running out of buttons to frantically mash in the hopes of something happening.

It's labeled as #5 on the official "battle page" here and it's apparently called the Blade Combo Tree but even that and their description helps me nothing because none of the names that pop up there mean anything to me. Is this not a thing yet because I don't have a blade yet or what's up with that? I feel like I'm missing some integral thing here.

Progress further and it will unlock.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Also as a heads up for the prologue - don't sell anything you get from salvaging until you get the tutorial on selling them in sets. They're worth a lot more that way and it makes salvaging a decent way to make some money.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Is treasure used for anything other than selling? ( Actual items listed as treasure. )

Sort of. Some sidequests use it, and more importantly, don't sell treasure to a vendor directly. Go to a shop with the merchant scale icon and turn in sets of treasures for a substantially better payout.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The first input can have incredibly harsh timing, salvaging is actually a bit tricky. I think the input is always the same at each Salvage point, but each salvage point is different from the other.

This isn't always true. For some of the more difficult and remote sites, the inputs can be randomized.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

In chapter 1 there's a chest behind a partially opened door in the loading bay... how am I supposed to get that?

There's a path that leads to the other side of that door.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'll look for a ramp below, guess I'm just impatient. Thanks everyone!

For future reference, doors that you can break down have a symbol on them when you approach. In the future, such things will be possible, but if there's no symbol, then there's just another path that will lead there.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

It keeps doing this and it's driving me up a wall.

Game is still great, though.

For gently caress's sake, you're absolutely right. It's patently absurd to absolutely wipe the floor with some poor bastard and then the cutscene shows us how "badass" they are after they've just been handed their own rear end char-broiled on a silver platter.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The instrument pouch items that add 0.8 special per second are really good, cheap, and last 2 hours each. Worth the investment, as it makes combining specials up to level 3 much faster and easier, especially for the AI. Combine them with sweets that up the art recharge rate, and you can be pulling out an entire 1-2-3 combo with just Pyra.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Am I doing something wrong or do random encounters just suck "early" game

like I have three rare blades on both Rex and Nia (but Poppi is trash lol) and the best weapon chips money can buy and everything is still an enormous time sink when I'm in no danger

I can't even salvage repeatedly because it takes longer to murder the one trash mob than to salvage

Buy instruments and put them in the pouch. Chain specials (I like fire-water-fire), and the final one will annihilate the enemies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was using sweets so I could spam abilities constantly but sure, I'll give it a shot!

It's a good idea to use sweets on the character you control, and instruments on the AI. It helps them build up their elemental attacks, so you can build up Fire 1 on Pyra, then fire it off and Mia should get Steam Bomb ready fairly quickly, and once you get close to level 3 fire, have Mia use that, and then combo it into your level 3 fire and you'll kill basically any trash enemy by that point.

If I have one major criticism of this game, it's that the rewards for killing monsters are terrible compared to the time investment to actually killing them. Trash mobs really need to be more trashy than they are, and the whole combo system, while a lot of fun, backloads damage so much that the health total on most monsters have been adjusted up with the assumption that you'll explode a 30-40k damage hit on them to take off the last half of their health.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I thought I understood the blade route system but Roc is teaching me I apparently don't. Some routes want a level 2 wind element so I swap to him and I just don't get the prompt to continue the combo.

Sometimes I swap to usula for ice and it has a chance of actually showing up. I really don't get it.

Are you sure it wants wind and not ice? The colors are very similar.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I just beat chapter 3 so Rex and Nia are about to get awesome and Tora is still useless. What's the best way to ensure Rex or Nia can build up a level 3 (after starting a level 1 combo) before the special time expires?

Get Rex a second pouch slot. Give him a sweets item that recharges his artes faster. Give everyone an instrument that recharges specials faster. Rex then becomes able to more or less infinitely spam attacks and charge up specials incredibly fast.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

mabels big day posted:

so at what point do i just grind salvages for money and development so i can buy deeds?

Right around the time you get gold cylinders. Load up on as much salvaging mastery as you can from blades.

Calaveron posted:

What's the best place to salvage if I just want money

Honestly anywhere. Each location has a different ratio of treasure drops though, so if you use, say 20 cylinders, you might notice that you have more of one treasure than another. Swap up your spot a bit to change up the treasure ratios for the next batch of cylinders.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I do want to say (Chapter 4) that holy poo poo was the whole abandoned factory badly designed. First, they give me Mythra instead of Pyra and tell me that she's dogshit underground (and oh boy are they correct), and then send me on an entirely underground/indoor mission! I was more or less begging for the game to give me Pyra back because my combos were all built around the fire element instead of the light element, so not only was I saddled with a blade whose level 3 combo barely broke 10k due to being indoors (I assume?), but I could only combo Mythra with Mythra. As soon as I got Pyra back, those same 10k combos were hitting for around 40k or so and absolutely annihilating groups of enemies.

So what am I missing with Mythra? Once she's available as a party member, Pyra just seems better to me in every way. It probably has to do with Pyra's affinity chart being almost maxed out while Mythra's is still ranked low, as well as poorly optimized chips and aux cores (I actually didn't realize that the aux cores/chips weren't shared until after Chapter 4).

I also don't know why at the end of the abandoned factory when the Torna people were escaping, that Mythra didn't just orbital ion cannon the boat as soon as it hit the ocean. Surely that would make the threat from Jin a lot lower since his lackeys would lose their main mode of transportation?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I have like 40 odd common cores but I don't think cores themselves are supposed to e uncommon, it's the drivers

There was some good NPC dialogue to this effect about how they should be producing artificial drivers, not artificial cores.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

A ??? Means you havent unlocked the area or game mechanic needed to progress it, and once you have itll update to the requirement. Just keep going in the story.

To elaborate, it's usually things like "Kill X of Y monster" where the monster doesn't exist in any area you have unlocked, or "Complete X sidequest" where the area/requirements aren't met yet. If it's a trust value, it'll be shown as something other than ????

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Thx! I think the game means logs where it says trees.

Now I just need to find Winding Gears. Can you not fish them up with normal cylinders or something? The return on salvage really sucks in this game.

Golden cylinders change the equation substantially. Silver cylinders pay for themselves too, especially with higher development levels.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a weapon shop that sells Core Chips that can give +Strength (to at least one class of weapons) easily? I need Strength 40+ on three blades for this one Merc quest and I don't have that.

Blade strength doesn't have anything to do with chips - it increases as you unlock more of the affinity grid. Yes, this means you have to occasionally send out your best combat blades on 2 hour missions. My advice is to do that before you head off to work/school/whatever and set the switch to sleep after 2 hours.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, is it just linear in number of nodes unlocked? That's actually totally reasonable even if it's a pain in the rear end to have to send out the good stuff.

I'm not sure if it's linear or not, but it's something like that; the more nodes you unlock the stronger the blade appears to be. I haven't done any hard math on that though, and rare blades seem stronger by default.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think that trust is probably one of the least well thought out mechanics in the game. Thematically, it makes some sort of sense, but the actual implementation is pretty bad. It's trivial to max out a common blade with 400 or so trust required, but rare blades and character specific blades require around 10,000 trust to get maxed out fully, and when your best non-sidequest method of gaining trust is something like 20 for a favorite pouch item or 40 for an hour + spent on a merc mission, that requirement is way too high. On top of that, as far as trust being a gating and a pacing thing, most blade abilities are locked behind unlocking a sidequest or killing a monster in a certain area; they could have easily just made the unlocks tied to quests and area-specific interactions to limit the amount of progress people could make without the arbitrary number grinding.

Plus, it leads to some really silly interactions in the game, since every new blade that joins starts at 0 or maybe 100 trust. This means that people who have been interacting with their blade for their whole lives or to the point where they are famous for how well they work together with their blade join up as complete newbies who act like they just resonated with their crystal earlier that morning.

I think the mechanic could work if all of the character specific blades had something like 5,000 trust to max out so that it's more or less guaranteed to happen with some sidequesting throughout the story, rare blades had 1,000-2,000 trust, and commons stayed at 400 or so. They also really should have had the late-game story blades that join show up with some trust in the bank, or significantly lowered the requirements.

As it stands, it's just not worth it to max any of the blades out, really. I pulled Boreas super early on, and she's still only at 7,000 trust while I'm in Chapter 8. She still has another almost 3,000 trust to go! I tested giving her her favorite food, and it gives 9 trust and takes something like 10 seconds to listen to her dialogue between being able to refill the pouch, and I can only hold 10 items at a time. I don't have the patience to go through the process of emptying out the pouch around 34 times to finish up the last bit of one blade.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zore posted:

You get a guaranteed one in Chapter 5, also there's the one you can fish up in Mor Ardain. No RNG for those two.

Is that a sidequest or just a salvage point?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Does the salvage location matter significantly? I get that salvaging in Gormott vs the Exhange Guild will give me different items, but is it regionwide or per-spot?

:tipshat:

It's also worth noting that once you have enough money (1-2 million gold, relatively easy to get with some + salvage bonuses and gold cylinders will set you for pretty much the whole game), you can instead just buy 99 of each cylinder in a development 5 area, and then sell them at the low development area (they sell for the same cost as you purchase them for at a level 5 area). Rinse and repeat. This costs 0 net gold, and will take somewhere around 15-20 trips or so

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I recall people mentioning that the ones with 1.0 (or more?) to special per second are crazy powerful simply from that buff alone. With the right pouch items a person can do 1-2-3 combos by themselves too IIRC.

I am bad at chains. If I have 2 orbs up my idiot party will hit different orbs even if they're using the same goddamn element on their blades (IE: All 3 of them attack with a wind blade, but 2 of them hit an earth orb and one hits wind or w/e) so I end up with 0 bursts and a lovely chain instead of a 2 burst chain for what'd probably be a couple hundred thousand damage. :sigh:

I found an instrument that gives 2.0 per second to specials! Haven't used it yet, but I imagine it's pretty crazy. Unlocked from one of the high end mercenary missions to unlock goods.

For chains, you can cheese it a bit by giving one blade per party member an aux core that targets already damaged orbs. That way you can at least guarantee that you will break an orb by hitting it 3 times even if you don't have the right weakness. Takes up an aux core slot, but honestly who bothers to kit out all 18+ slots per party with perfectly optimal cores anyway?

As a neat aside, I found that some deeds boost the number of pouch items you can carry by 10. I found 3 of them so far, and being able to carry 33 instruments or 40 food items is pretty amazing. I'm currently force-feeding blades cheap pouch items because I can purchase 120 super cheap foodstuffs and just mash A over and over until I'm done. For people looking to do similar, most of the shops don't get their final items until after you unlock the last major city; trade flows both ways, after all.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

I also happened to get Lim on Nia but this makes me want to swap her to Rex. Are overdrive protocols a limited item in the game or will I always be able to get more?

I would suggest never overdriving anything on to Rex. There are two really good attacking blades he gets through the plot, and another good healing blade he gets through the plot. There are other, more spoilery reasons to not do so as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

chumbler posted:

I'm pretty sure it knows exactly what it's doing, and the answer to your question is yes. I mean chapter 1 ends on the worst awkward teen flirting and the game is near constantly pulling anime comic beats. The whole thing so far is extremely Saturday morning cartoon and it's great.

Yeah, it's a fun, lighthearted romp. Even the depressing portions of the games aren't really dwelled upon. They aren't glossed over, but there's a feeling of hope and that things can and will get better. I wouldn't call the writing stellar, but I think it's serviceable and fun in that sort of trashy sci-fi/fantasy novel sort of way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I mentioned this earlier, but once you have enough money and a place that sells golden cylinders at 5 star development (Mor Ardain is perfect for this), buy gold cylinders at Mor Ardain (or equivalent), then sell them at the place you want to raise. They can be bought for 5k and sold for 5k, so you lose no money in the process and it takes ~15 or so trips to max out the development from 0. You can toss in silver and normal cylinders too (and anything else, honestly). The only reason to use cylinders instead of other goods is that they are expensive and stack to 99, so you get a lot of goods sold for less time investment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Devs went on record saying they did it because they wanted players to pay attention to the enemies themselves more than just the icon over their head. I think the intended reaction would be, "Alright so wolves and stuff are scary, but the fantasy-giraffe is probably nice".

It's just annoying in practice, though.

And birds are complete assholes with infinite range attacks and a leash several times longer than every other enemy and an aggro range to match.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Caidin posted:

Hey, regarding the end of chapter 4. So... Mòrag is cool and I'll see about getting her kitted out with some good blades and all, but why am I not under arrest again? I still have the super weapon blade, assaulted a warship and travel with a former member of the worlds most wanted terrorist group.

Mor Ardain is currently on everyone's poo poo list since they just annexed a titan. The last thing they want to be seen doing is capturing a fantasy nuke because everyone will assume they're trying to get the upper hand in the war. Rex was also clearly not plotting anything and was under close surveillance for as much of his journey as they could manage. Morag's presence also helps not only to influence Rex positively towards Mor Ardain, but lets her try to stop him if he tries anything.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

So is there anyway to bolster trust gain rate? It feels like blades I got early on will be able to cap out thanks to quests giving chunks of trust and battling, but any rare core I get late in the game just won't be acquiring enough without me tediously slamming the pouch item button.

That, overdrive protocols, and merc missions not counting down while in sleep mode are my big complaints.

Make sure you are giving pouch items that are not their favorites. Favorite items require you to listen to them talk each time, and give no bonus that I could discern. You should be getting 15 trust or so per item, so it can be pretty quick. It gets even faster if you get the shop deeds that let you hold 40 pouch items instead of 10 (or 33 instead of 3).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

Hold the gently caress up. Where are these?!

I got them after unlocking the last town and finishing the merc missions that unlock for more goods.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

chumbler posted:

Wait you're supposed to just keep cramming pouch items in? I assumed letting them run their course would be best.

Every 1-2 pip item is 15 trust each time you put one in the pouch. 3 pip items are 18 trust. It's not worth the extra cost for 3 more trust. Just get the cheapest items you can that aren't favorite items and slam them into the pouch one after another.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

...I still can't put Vess on Nia. My "game clock kept counting in sleep mode" thing happened after I got her core too so that means 30+ hours of in game clock and I can't activate it yet, probably 4 hours or more of actual gameplay and cutscenes in there too... :wtc:

I think this is based on # of battles fought. Fortunately, it also appears to unlock by running away, but I'd just go around and kill some random enemies and see how long it takes to pop.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The rules of the Salvager's Code are things of beauty, and someone clearly had a lot of fun localizing them :allears:.

It kinda makes sense too - you never know who you're going to work with, and you're working in a situation where you need total trust with complete strangers to survive. It's pretty natural for him to be the way he is, and it's fantastic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

In general it's kind of weird how most of the time characters don't appropriately treat (includes spoiler from chapter 6) the memory loss as effectively the same as dying, because it basically is. Like, where I'm at the emperor just died (before being resurrected), which caused his blade to also return to its crystal. After the emperor is revived everyone is glad and no one seems to give a poo poo that his blade - who has probably been living with the emperor for most of his life - is basically dead.

Also (chapter 6 spoiler) why didn't Nia resurrect Vandham? I get that the emperor was the little brother of one of their party members, but Vandham was also a good guy. The only explanations I can think of are either 1. resurrecting him somehow cost her something or 2. you have to resurrect within a very short time of them dying, and the fight they were forced into after Vandham was killed took up too much time.

By the way, gently caress Ursula's side quest. I'm at like 54 of each of those god drat badges. Whose stupid loving idea was it to require you collect (apparently, according to the internet) 99 of each?

For your chapter 6 spoiler, this is pretty obvious, but a bit of a spoiler if you're not a bit further into the story - Nia doesn't want to out herself as a blade. She has a pretty damned good reason for it to, that is explained later by the plot.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Don’t forget you can send out multiple teams as well. Realistically that could just be 10 hours, which, frankly, is how long it would take me to fill out many affinity charts.

Ursula is required on her missions.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I’m stupid; I could have been buying super cheap foodstuffs since literally Argentum chapter 1 And had 12 trust egg rolls ticking on autorefill the whole 70 hours I’ve put in so far. Dumb. I kept buying the nice once for combat stats but they l a s t 2 h o u r s I’m so dumb

Every time you put them in your pouch you get trust gain. The 2 hours consumables with actual benefits are the proper way to do it. If you want to grind up trust, just smash cheap stuff into the pouch over and over.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm somewhere into either chapter 5 or 6 (just fought Zeke again with Morag watching) and I have a few rare blades now. I haven't been obsessing over it too much but I'd like to get some of the special quests and whatnot yet other than some merc missions for Godfrey it hasn't been obvious to me how to get special content for rare blades.

Is there some consistent way of telling how to set off a rare blade's bonus content or is it different per-blade and opaque like most of the other systems in this game?

I'm really harkening back to early-internet days, when Tips 'n' Tricks magazine was the most reliable source of information and internet FAQs would throw you down crazy rabbit holes to get Luigi in Mario 64 that ended up being demonstrably false but nobody really knew for certain until they tried it. This game's a strange nostalgia trip in that regard.

You'll see something like "Go to X to trigger a heart to heart" or "Go to Y to start a quest" in the affinity wheel.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Also, what's everybody's least favorite part of growing Blades? Mine is the "kill X enemy" one, because it's boring and they don't even give you a bestiary.

If you send a blade off on a merc mission, it will gain progress towards things like that automatically. I think unique enemy kills are an exception, but most things can be progressed, including "talk to X people" requirements.

You still have to grind up the blades bonded to each driver manually, but that cuts down on the BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

Do not do Ursula’s quest

Counterpoint - don't finish it, but use the short missions to fulfill random unlocks for other blades.