Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this game sells well, Nintendo has been pushing it and I feel like RPGs are making a comeback again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anime as a critical adjective is largely useless, but I always take it more to refer to the cliches that show up very commonly in anime moreso than anything else. For good or ill, anime and Japanese games have a real problem with lockstep cliches.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tyberius posted:

English version of the character trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG8pz9plUQ

Pyra's voice sounds very strange for her character model, but I like Rex's English voice a lot.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly don't even remember the Zohar's meaning in the actual game they were prominent in, so I guess that's just this director's signature symbol or something.

Weren't they basically like the Monoliths from Space Odyssey 2001?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yasunori Mitsuda is apparently the main music guy for this game, kinda weird that hasn't been played up more. He's the lead of the other composers, it seems. Xenogears is among some of his most beloved work.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, Rex's VA made me laugh early on. He just made a "heh HEY" noise that was pretty drat funny. I'm on board with all the regional dialects.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there really no way to just open up a map screen, beyond just making the minimap bigger? Is there any way to scroll beyond my vicinity in that mode?

EDIT: gently caress, no, found it, I see, it's...okay, it's in a weird place but I found it.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 2, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn I love that this game is fairly consistently funny. It's managed to hit most of its comedy notes far more naturally than a lot of Japanese-written games do.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is pretty great, I've managed to kill some low level named monsters. Had this one bird who attacked me while I was taking on a group of smaller enemies. I kill the little guys, turn to the big guy, who is a named monster with proper stats, and while I'm duking it out, a loving second, even higher level enemy joins the fray, and I have to kill the named monster, then kill the second bird.

It took a lot of careful timed hits and some luck, but I did it. I think I'm really digging this battle system.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly if they announced a DLC pack that added 20 new unique blades to the game, I'd probably buy it. I finally got my second unique blade and for Rex, so I feel a bit better. I dig how much dialogue the unique blades have -- I got Boreas on Nia and it's hilarious.

EDIT: are Hustle Hycanths supposed to be rare, I've been looking for one more for ages now

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So is there anything special I have to do to access new stages in Tiger Tiger?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME

DON'T FORGET ME DON'T THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME TAKE ME DON'T FORGET ME DON'T FORGET YOU CAN TAKE ME

This game is talky as gently caress, which is fine for me playing but I'm glad nobody else has to listen to this in the background for 8 hours.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

I've watched the GameXplain video like three times and have played the game for about 10 hours and I still don't think I understand the combat. I get the art cancelling on the third hit stuff, I get that it charges my driver special. That's when it kind of falls apart, I'm doing driver combos and blade combos since I see things being unlocked on blade trees for those "do x combo" requirements, but I feel like I'm just kind of pushing buttons.

If someone could answer/explain my next question, I think I might be able to piece how this stuff works. So when Tora's indicator comes up that says "Stone", do I want to use that first or use my own special first? I can't actually find "Stone" anywhere on the character sheets, is Stone the combo itself? GameXplain says that in order to do combos the following special has to be a level higher than the last, how am I supposed to know what level Stone is if I use that first?

Also the little grid that pops up is confusing as well. I get that it's an element grid or whatever, I just can't make any logical sense of the layout.

Okay, so it's not AS complex as it seems. Basically, blades all have elements -- Tora is earth by default. Pyra is fire. Elements have different formulas that combine into each other -- fire + earth + wind is one you can get early one. To build those combos, you need to hit the enemy with your special move (the A-button attack) when it is of a higher value than the preceding attack.

So Tora uses Stone, a level 1 earth attack. You have a brief window after he uses that move to build your special meter to level 2 (you'll see the Roman numeral for 2 in that spot). Use a level 2 fire attack continues the combo, and now you need a level 3 wind attack. You'll see an icon from Nia that indicates she can use an attack. She'll build her meter, and since you didn't have her use her special earlier, she'll probably reach level 3 and then you'll get a prompt to press her trigger button. This will trigger a cutscene special attack -- three successive blade arts results in a blade combo, which is really awesome.

A driver combo is using the Break, Topple, Launch and Smash effects, and the game will actually do a guided tutorial for you on that later on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

So whenever I tried salvaging, the first input has never seemed to register. Is this supposed to happen?

Also I just noticed Nia's ears appear to be backwards. That's gonna bother the hell out of me.

The first input can have incredibly harsh timing, salvaging is actually a bit tricky. I think the input is always the same at each Salvage point, but each salvage point is different from the other.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Ephraim posted:

Where the gently caress do you go at the start of chapter 3?

Also I've opened about 20 core crystals and got junk. It's Fate Grand Order all over again. :negative:

It's kind of fun in that "this feels like gambling" sort of way, there's a real thrill in using rare crystals. Common ones it's just sort of tedious.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

Reset, open core, reset

YOu can't save scum it saves every time you open it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The second Titan is just my favorite area so far, maybe my favorite area in a game, just pure aesthetics-wise. It's incredible.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I also don't know what boosters do. Do they impact the base stats or something?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Woah, I got a random unique Blade and there's an entire cutscene and sidequest that got added to an old area that I just triggered. That's neat.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any advice for the Olethro Ruins bosses? I'm level 27 right now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
People seem upset that the whole story isn't explained in the first hour.

Story is really good, in fact.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've just arrived at my third Titan. I'm glad of things like bonus exp at inns, I was able to boost myself a very needed three levels to beat that last boss.

Each area is great. It's gonna be tough to beat Uraya as Prettiest Location in all Existence but I'm excited to see some more extreme biomes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd also like some thing that tells me which regions of the map which enemy species like to live in. There's a handful of quality-of-life options that the map and quest screens could really use. It's probably going to be the game's biggest drawback, it can make sidequesting a big pain.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Where can I find Crawling Caterpiles in Gormott?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I love to jump into patches of clouds in this game, especially from great height. It's so fluffy and satisfying.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

numerrik posted:

So I just met zekenator and now need to go to the city, the stairs are blocked by a high wall surrounded by water though. Where do I go? Do I need to unblock the spillway?

Yeah, if you eyeball it from those land bridges you can see a path down below that loops upwards to the other side of the spillway. Critters are nasty around there, though, so watch yourself. You should have the Field skills you need to take it down.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 3, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lodin posted:

gently caress Sniper Brent in upper left Torgoth and the wings he flew in on. Suck my dick you fuckeagle!

That guy ambushes me while I'm saving that couple from monsters. I kill all of them, get him down to about half health, and then a SECOND, level 22 eagle swoops down. By the end of it I felt like a goddamn war machine.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Hoo boy am I getting my rear end tremendously kicked by that dual boss battle in those ruins in the whale. Any tips for that or what

Focus on the lower leveled one and hit him with his elemental weakness (earth). You only gotta get him down to half health. I'd bring Tora in, I couldn't tank the fight with Rex.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aerox posted:

Got my second rate at the beginning of Chapter 3 — a Blade that looks like Mercy with a staff except she’s an attack class.

I really hope I end up with enough Overdrives to make the pure atk/heal/tank characters I’m imagining.

Is that Agate? She was my second rare, I rather like her. She can help you get more rare stones.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where's the Goldmouth Warehouse in Argentum for Boreas? I haven't seen it and I thought I had been everywhere.

It's a sidequest you can unlock there, but be warned, it seems to require 4 Nopon Knowledge skills or 99,999 gold to complete, much to my annoyance.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god, Chapter 3 is proving immensely entertaining. Nopons are great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am lost in the Old Factory. I just got the key to the hanger division and I'm pursuing Bana and the other guy. Tora has left my party. I've explored this whole factory area twice and I have no idea where I need to use this key, please help me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Please tell me that the new friend I made at the end of Chapter 3 stays with me so I can start investing cores on them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

yessssssssssssssssss

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
my god every location in this game is just loving great

It's just a parade of wonderful environments. I'm reminded a lot of Skies of Arcadia.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Wait maybe I’m thinking of someone else

I am talking about Morag

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

Thats chapter 4's end.

Oh huh, I must have missed that the chapters had swapped over. I'm farther than I thought!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ajkalan posted:

Is there an Immovable Gonzalez and/or Territorial Rotbart in this game

Oh yes

Oh man now I'm underlevelled for the next area. Guess I gotta do sidequests again. I love these zones, exploring them is a lot of fun. I just wish there were more rare cores -- I've found quite a few in chests here and there, but never enough -- especially since it's only every other three or so that actually result in a unique blade.

I really like how the third titan is structured, it felt very different from the previous two areas while still feeling very large. It was awesome discovering which route to take forward.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zoran posted:

When you salvage using normal cylinders at the dock at the very beginning of the third Titan (Mor Ardain), you’ll very frequently spawn these hermit crab things that are guaranteed to drop both a common and a rare core crystal. Happy hunting.

This was a pro loving tip, I spent 14 normal cylinders and got 5 rares and 8 commons in less than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The third Titan's day time theme is so great. All those trumpets!