Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Wasn't too happy about the super weeb character designs but then I remembered XC1 was my favorite modern JRPG until it was unseated by the anime-as-gently caress Persona 5 - so maybe all the series needs is more anime to retake the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Calaveron posted:

When would amazon ship my copy of the expensive titty version for me to get it on release day

Mine shipped this morning fwiw (Portland)

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Yeah I'm glad I watched some spoilery reviews before playing so that I knew how to use cancel attacks etc because otherwise the early combat would be kinda unbearable.

So far this game feels like a next gen XBC1 with the anime turned up to 11 so it's about what I expected.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is handheld mode as bad as I hear it is?

Played a couple hours apiece in handheld mode and docked: the only real difference I've noticed is on skinny props (bare trees, bars on railings, giraffe legs etc) that are a midrange distance from the PC. They get sorta pixelated and ugly in handheld mode but it's not a huge deal.

Also I just got jumped by a level 70 something Territorial Rotbert, this is definitely a Xenoblade game. :allears:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
I kinda hate the RNG bladecrates because I really really want to run a blade with the soccer ball weapon but so far all my soccer star blades are garbage tier.

Also doing a lot of side quests will make you severely out level the main quest. Seems obvious and that's how the first game worked but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Edit: outleveling the story also makes some post-boss cutscenes extra dumb. Ah yes I never dropped below 90% HP the whole fight please hit me up with a cutscene showing my party getting its rear end kicked.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 2, 2017

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is this game as good as the first so far?

Combat is better imo - but I miss Dunban and his BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE combo. Fusion combos are needlessly obtuse.

Story so far (up to Uraya) isnt as good as first half of XB1 but it's still interesting.

Side quests are better.

Voice acting is about the same minus in battle where it's kinda bad. Soundtrack is excellent.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Calaveron posted:

I have no idea how to get to Umon’s Shipyard through Greatspine Boundary. The marker points me downward but then I hit a lake and a wall and I can’t progress

This was a bitch for me too. Best hint I can give is stick to a northeast path and head upwards. If you see sleepy Gonzalez (or whatever his name is - high level sleeping monster) you're on the right track.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Calaveron posted:

What’s a driver combo

Basically a chain of arts that gets increasingly powerful as you move down it.

Break into Topple into Launch into Smash is the full combo.

Once you get rad Aussie you pretty much pull off the first three parts by default in every fight if you run him, Rex, and Nia.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Don't forget me (please)

You can't, because they show back up later in the game. :black101:

Also Mor Ardain has some excellent music holy poo poo. Daytime sounds at first like it's ramping up into a remix of Bloody Tears.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
How many chapters does this game have?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Just beat this during lunch today. The ending is pretty drat good but it's going to confuse the hell out of people who haven't beaten the first game. (not really an explicit spoiler but I guess you could infer a lot so it's in spoiler tags)

Leathal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 4, 2017

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Zore posted:

Basically, don't waste any rare cores on Rex and save the bulk of your rare drops for the later party members.

Yeah definitely save rare cores for the party member you get from Mor Ardain. If you roll decent tank blades, you can turn that character into this games version of Dunban. 70%+ dodge/block and slap on some high end ether defense accessories unf.

Also protip: make sure you regularly check all your equipped blades' affinity charts. The popups saying key affinity etc don't actually mean the next tier is unlocked until you literally open the screen. Lots of weird janky UX/UI stuff like that in this game, it really shows that they rushed it for the holidays.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Ciaphas posted:

Any particularly good money making methods discovered yet? I’m in ch4 and salvaging & trading collections has been kinda hit or miss and slow besides.

Easiest way I've found to get money is to spam gold salvage canisters at the Toragoth salvage point near all the shops. Any mobs that come up get one shot (assuming you're at least mid game). When you run out of canisters hoof it over to the salvage turn in shop and sell whatever you can at the bottom of the shop's menu. There's a 41k item and a few 30k items - just don't sell the items at the top cause it's not worth it.

Buy more canisters at the shop next door and repeat the process.

You'll get rank 5 development for Gormott and a cool million gold in like half an hour or less of salvaging.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I have like 12 sidequests active, do I need to tie those up first or are they fine waiting until I finally have another party member to share in the affinity gains?

Side quests don't expire afaik since by the time I fixed the stupid crane in Toragoth I was at the end game.

One major exception to this is Indol.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Zore posted:

Also there's a really pointless mechanic introduced in chapter 7?

Serious spoilers

Nia's unique blade mechanics are weird as hell. Did Rex really need another unique blade weapon with 0 exp that requires you to forgo your only healer party member?

Like why would you ever put Nia in blade form willingly?

Because it lets you run Best Comp of Rex, Zeke, and Do-rag in the end/postgame after you get your affinity up. But yeah unless you want to take an extended break from story progress right after finishing Elpys to grind affinity, stick with driver mode.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
The whole Pyra/Mythra thing quickly becomes a moot point once you can switch between them at will for "free". Start with Mythra, max out battle affinity to get her passive buffs, switch back to Pyra or form 3 if you have it to finish fights.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's not a way around at least some, because some reviewers were complaining about how they couldn't beat the game until they went and ground up some Blades with the right skills.

But I don't know how many don't have alternate paths around.

There was only one time I got stuck on a field skill check rescue the kid behind the boxes in Peruns final affinity mission and even then it was a side mission and I was only off by one point. Took a ten minute detour to level up an affinity point so nbd.

There's maybe two or three reasonably high level unskippable field skill checks in the endgame but if you've been doing Merc Missions you should be able to handle them.

I think the reviewers were trying to bum rush an 80 hr RPG to hit their deadlines. It's understandable and to be fair field skills are a super clunky mechanic but they don't really halt story progression to force a grind.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

BabyRyoga posted:

The one thing about combat that totally isn't clicking for me is the Driver Combos.

The AI is really stupid when it comes to Driver Combos. If any of your AI controlled combo enablers have an art that has the text of "deals more damage to Break/Topple/Launch" they will ALWAYS prioritize that art over continuing the combo.

Remove those arts from their skills and smash your way to victory.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Hammer Bro. posted:

I just started it. Without getting too specific, how's the post-game content?

Eh it's good for a few more hours of gameplay but so far it seems to be all about finding and killing level 100+ dudes. Waiting to see what the DLC brings because there's a few obvious loose story ends like wtf happened to Addam that they're likely saving for it.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like I have a real unclear understanding of what the cloud sea is. Like at times it seems like they are up in the air and the cloud sea is literally just clouds and all the titans are flying, other times it seems like it's water under like a foot of fog. Or water under hundreds of feet of clouds? Now they are at a mountain made out of clouds?

It gets explained eventually but it's still a little handwavy.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Axel Serenity posted:

Welp, just got to the Ch.7 healer blade. Now I dunno what to do! Too many decisions!

Game owns so much. Despite the Cavern of Infinite Bullshit, the character arcs are giving me some mighty feels now

It's by far the best healing blade in the game and if you take a break from the story to grind up affinity it can easily solo heal the rest of the game. :angel:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Invenerable posted:

Anyone with Ursula know the legit way to get her 5k fans for affinity level 5?

Google only brings up people who did it by grinding each of her merc missions 40+ times. That... can't be right. Right?

I have bad news for you

Edit: Ursula's affinity gates are seriously the worst thing in this game. She's potentially the most fun and best healing blade for 80% of the game but by the time you grind 99 voice/looks/soul you've probably unlocked the ultra healing blade which means not only do you not have a reason to run Ursula - you also never really get to run her when she's relevant because she's always tied up in merc missions.

Also her longass voice lines when sending her off on a mission. :argh:

Leathal fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 10, 2017

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Pretty sure this is a bug but oh man does it make the high level field skill tests easier:

Once you get Master Blade you can get around the "cannot disengage" messages for Brigid and Pandoria by equipping them to Rex and then unequipping them. Still can't disengage Mythra but it frees up two more blade slots which makes the 8-10 field skill checks much easier to hit. (endgame spoiler)

Also on the way to getting the heart to heart on top of the Genome Building in Morytha, you pass some road signs that, unless they're a coincidence, suggest that Morytha is basically Akron, Ohio :fireman:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This game is the weirdest mix of super fun and clearly-not-playtested-even-once.

After putting way too many hours into this game I've decided that the best label for it is "mashup of XBC1 and Chrono Cross with higher highs and slightly not as low lows".

On a different note: has the internet figured out yet how to get more overdrives and/or how to force shops to stock premium cylinders? Because goddamn do I regret using my overdrives and not buying 99 premiums when Argentum had them in stock once.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Ardryn posted:

They appeared for me after sending another 90k home with Max and then doing a follow-up side quest that I would assume first appears when you actually go to Fonsett Village, Max said to speak to Corinne and she started the side-quest. I can only guess at the exact chapter it opens because I did this post-game.

Wait so that quest chain makes Argentum stock premiums permanently? I ask because they've only shown up once for me (prior to beating the game no less) and everything else I'm finding says you have to fast travel over and over while changing tides and other goofy poo poo that almost certainly has no effect.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

CORN NOG posted:

If you overdrive a blade to another party member, does it reset their affinity and stuff?

As already mentioned, no it doesn't.

Just be aware that so far there are only EIGHT overdrives in the entire game that have been discovered - and five of them are tied to maxing out a playable character's SP affinity so most of those you won't get until decently far into the post game.

I used two early on and boy do I regret it.

Edit: oh and I wouldn't bother getting super serious about farming rare cores. There's enough guaranteed rare blades to form a strong party and you'll collect plenty of rare cores just by playing. Late game its pretty easy to farm legendary cores off chain attacks, and that's probably when you'll want to catch em all anyways.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Rainuwastaken posted:

So, Beastly Core Crystal's finally cooled off. Who should get it, Rex?

Preferably character 5 but 4 is worth considering. I wouldnt recommend giving it to Rex or Nia but honestly it's not a huge deal if you're not crazy about min/maxing the end/postgame.

E:f;b

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

The Moon Monster posted:

Of all the blades to freak out about Nim is a bit of an odd one.

Something about Finch's art style really sells "Furry" to me. It reminds me of those King Dedede plates Sears was selling a while back.

Yeah, I'm using Agate and Vale and they both outdamage Pyra/Mythra not counting her SSJ mode anyway, which is in a completely different league from any other blade in the game

I love Finch for no other reason than he calls Dromarch, Bromarch. :allears:

And btw are you guys building Mythra for crit? Cause I have her around 60% or so and her blade art that refreshes drive arts on crits basically means that 10-15 seconds into a fight I'm already at 3-4 special with max affinity putting up the first combo orb already. Even ignoring the part in spoilers, she feels pretty busted since big chain attacks are what's important.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending chat, maybe I need to rewatch things but kinda confused. So were Malos/Pyra always core crystals? Klaus story is that he got ripped in half across realities and one of the Aegis's got tossed in with his mean dude half which was Alvis.
To atone Klaus created core crystals and started that looping system. Fine sure, but uh, the three Aegis class crystals were around before he got ripped in half so how does that work? Also in 1 didn't Alvis say he was just a super computer?

I mean I can go with "they retconned a few details from the first game" but I'd like to think I'm just not piecing things together like I should.

They expanded the single supercomputer from XBC1 to being one of three: Logos (Malos), Pneuma (Mythra), and Ontos (almost definitely Alvis).

XBC2 Klaus created the Cloud Sea as a giant processing engine with the goal of disassembling the old world ruins and harvesting it to rebuild the world through a sped up evolutionary cycle that used the two remaining supercomputers to process all the collected data. Whenever a blade returned to it's core crystal, all its collected data would be uploaded to the supercomputers for processing and wiped from the original blade - which is where the "blades forget everything when they die" conceit came from.

As to why the two supercomputers took the form of core crystals, it's probably because that's how this Klaus set up his new world - similar to how Alvis took the form of a Monado.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I can't figure out how to get here AT ALL.

Start from the upper level and head to the furthest island to the east where you want to get to the northeast corner. The path to that corner is kinda not straightforward but you'll figure it out. In that corner is a field skill check for Ice Mastery (and something else like Focus, but the Ice Mastery is the high level check) that creates a bridge to the pillar north of you. Make your way up the pillar, I think there's an unavoidable 30-something unique on the way. Almost at the top is an ice ramp aimed at the final pillar, just ride that poo poo over (jumping will gently caress it up and you'll fall all the way down). But before you take the ramp, keep heading to the very top of the pillar to get the secret area/landmark (high level wind check I think) cause you'll really REALLY want to have it for that quest you're trying to get.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Axel Serenity posted:

kosmos is going to literally be my last blade at this point

Nintendo :argh:

Welcome to my world. Two blades left: kosmos and Zenobia what the gently caress.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Pollyanna posted:

Partway through Chapter 8 now. :allears:

Hahaha what the hell is this new form. This is facemeltingly overpowered and it owns. All it loving took was a power-up, a less repetitive and tedious dungeon, and being able to fully use my party to make the combat good again - who knew?

That's why everybody said not to put Blades on Rex. Well poo poo. I hope they give us all like 99 overdrives as compensation at some point.

As soon as I saw the word "Mizar" pop up, I knew some Sephiroth bullshit was going down. I've played enough Shin Megami Tensei to know where this is going.

The story is ridiculous but not in the fun way, just the eyerollingly stupid way. Not as interesting as 1 and definitely not as intriguing as X.

I felt the same way at that point in the game but the story goes a long way towards redeeming itself right up until the post credits where it gets real dumb again. oh hey let's completely undo an impactful and emotionally well done sacrifice so the protagonist can have his anime waifu harem

Basically this game is the ur-jrpg containing literally everything good and everything terrible about the genre.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
https://m.imgur.com/oAettPn

What the gently caress

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

voltcatfish posted:

I really like the story and characters in this game but I hate the battles. I feel like I am experiencing this wrong.

I recently started a new game for something to pass time on the train and holy moly the combat is awful compared to how it is in the late game. Way worse than I remembered.

I honestly don't think I would have kept playing if abusing stutter steps wasn't an option so maybe try that if you're still in the early chapters. And keep it mind that it gets much much better later.

(Stutter stepping is when you nudge the control stick after each auto attack to quickly keep doing the level one auto attack. Fills up driver arts at least 10x faster in the early game.)

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
What's the requirement for a blade to get Strength 35+ for merc missions? Just keep filling out affinity charts?

I ask because I'm trying to do Heralds final merc mission that requires 3 blades at 35+ along with two bitballs and two ether cannons and none of mine are high enough strength. Yet the game annoyingly marks it as being doable since I meet the requirements individually. :argh:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Taear posted:

If it's marking it as doable you definitely fit the requirements. Are you looking at Blades which are currently assigned to Drivers? Because it'll count those as part of the specifications. And it can be a bitball or ether cannon that has over 35 strength as well!
It won't even let you select a merc mission that you don't have the blades for. Unless you mean you can't do it because you can't assign six blades?

It does seem that only certain blades can hit high strength and yea, you just need to keep filling out those charts. And hoping.

Nah I think it's just a weird dev oversight (on my second playthrough, picked up Herald as soon as I hit Tantal this time which is why I don't have a lot of 35 strength dudes).

The requirements are:

35+ strength x3
Bitball x2
Ether Cannon x2

I don't have any 35 strength Bitballs or Cannons so to hit all the reqs I'd need 7 slots. I guess the game sees I meet each req individually so it's marking it as possible even though it's not without at least one Bitball or Cannon at 35 strength.

So if strength is based on the affinity chart, is it based on how many bubbles you have filled or just on the unlocked tiers? Cause if it's the latter I'd rather just grind some salvage and max out Sheba rather than wait for a billion merc missions to finish.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Pretty sure the implication is that core crystals originally were developed by the initial Earth civilization and Klaus used the Conduit to create the Cloud Sea as a sort of nanotech catalyst that harvested all the OG Earth data from the core crystals and created a sort of hyper-evolutionary process aimed at restoring things with the supercomputer Aegises running the process. The Titans, Ether, etc were him being all "while I'm at it why not use my divine powers to Make Anime Real" just like his XC1 counterpart.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Pollyanna posted:

Where the hell do I get premium cylinders? I need some for a sidequest and I've only ever seen them sold once, then never again.

Beyond the dumb long rest spamming already mentioned, there's a Nopon in Argentum you can talk to in order to be ranked as a salvager. The later tiers give you a few guaranteed premium cylinders, enough to finish the handful of quests that require premiums anyways.

On a different note: I just saw a boss fight on YouTube where Tora was player controlled and yet he got Super Mythra to activate for the chain attack. Does that happen automatically because I was controlling Tora for a few hours farming gold chips and never had it happen so I figured I was forced to play Rex for super bosses.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

IcePhoenix posted:

It's very foggy. I have lots of calamari.

He should be chilling on the giant pedastal under the town/castle in the middle of the lower level iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

PJOmega posted:

I'm in post game and despite opening 30+ fully boostered legendary cores I still need Dahlia, Zenobia, and Kos-Mos.

Sadly, that's not even all that unlucky. I've opened a good 60+ legendaries and who knows how many rares at lvl 99 with 2x 3 star luck accessories, full boosters, and 3 luck mod blades engaged and I'm still 5-8 blades off completion. Feelsbad