Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Uber Paid Hackers $100,000 To Keep A Massive Data Breach Quiet
The hack affected 57 million people.

Uber confirmed Tuesday that it paid hackers $100,000 to keep quiet after an October 2016 attack led to the disclosure of 57 million customers’ personal data, Bloomberg first reported.

The breach included the names, email addresses and mobile phone numbers related to accounts of people around the world, the company said. About 600,000 Uber drivers also had their names and driver’s license numbers stolen. More sensitive information, including trip location history, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, Social Security numbers and dates of birth, was not accessed.

More troubling than the hack itself: Instead of disclosing the breach to the affected customers and proper government authorities, Uber decided to pay the unnamed hackers to keep quiet.

That was likely the decision of chief security officer Joe Sullivan, a former federal prosecutor Uber hired from Facebook. Sullivan and an additional team member were fired this week.

Most states have laws requiring that companies notify consumers who are affected by a data breach. Although not all require customers to be notified in a specific timeframe, many mandate that it happen as soon as possible. For example, in California, where Uber is based, the disclosure must happen in “the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay.”

There’s currently no evidence that the leaked data has been used for nefarious purposes, Uber told customers Tuesday.

“We do not believe any individual rider needs to take any action,” the company said in a statement. “We have seen no evidence of fraud or misuse tied to the incident. We are monitoring the affected accounts and have flagged them for additional fraud protection.”

Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi, who joined the company in September, addressed the breach in a blog Tuesday.

“None of this should have happened, and I will not make excuses for it,” Khosrowshahi wrote. “While I can’t erase the past, I can commit on behalf of every Uber employee that we will learn from our mistakes. We are changing the way we do business, putting integrity at the core of every decision we make and working hard to earn the trust of our customers.”

“We have to be honest and transparent as we work to repair our past mistakes,” he said.

Khosrowshahi said the company is providing affected drivers with free credit monitoring and identity theft protection.

👀👀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lol, wrecked. Why would you pay hackers hush money? There's nothing to stop them from telling everyone everything anyway

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
very kind of those upright and honest hackers to delete all of that info as agreed.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FisheyStix posted:

Lol, wrecked. Why would you pay hackers hush money? There's nothing to stop them from telling everyone everything anyway

look at this post.

there is a thing called integrity, you should look it up. :colbert:

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bloomberg has a longer article that describes it in more detail
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-21/uber-concealed-cyberattack-that-exposed-57-million-people-s-data

quote:

Uber said it has hired Matt Olsen, a former general counsel at the National Security Agency and director of the National Counterterrorism Center, as an adviser
👀

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

FisheyStix posted:

its like ppl dont watch black mirror

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

freckle posted:

look at this post.

there is a thing called integrity, you should look it up. :colbert:

Hackers only honor deals they made with other hackers.

Uber should've hired an aging former hacker with a badass nickname and a goatee as an advisor, not some NSA loser.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Goddamn Uber is really the worst loving company possible.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
"Most states have laws requiring that companies notify consumers who are affected by a data breach."

I hope these harmful regulations are removed soon. It's shameful that companies cannot operate totally in the shadows.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Hackers only honor deals they made with other hackers.

It's not the 80s Phone Phreaking BBS hacker world any more man.

Most hackers today are scammers and would slit each other's metaphorical throats in a heartbeat.

ED: I often wonder what happened to my one friend who got busted at least once by the authorities for phreaking his phone line to play Warcraft 2 without Kali

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

i like that posted:

“We do not believe any individual rider needs to take any action,” the company said in a statement.

lmbo

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
I guess Uber does negotiate with terrorists

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wow they got my email and phone number.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Wow they got my email and phone number.

do you drive for Uber? if so, they got your driver's license info too

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

uber. more like goober

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

do you drive for Uber? if so, they got your driver's license info too

no but anyone dumb enough to drive for uber has bigger problems

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I used uber exactly once to get a ride to a job interview at uber. Serves me right for loving with uber

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I worked closely with Uber one time. Worst company I've ever met

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's not the 80s Phone Phreaking BBS hacker world any more man.

Free Kevin

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Boober. :mamacita:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Hahaha

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
We should throw that Kalanick guy in jail

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
> ok, i have the payment ready - but i will need confirmation that the files were deleted
> so please cd into the directory and type 'ls -a' and take a screenshot
> and then type 'rm -rf' and take another screenshot
> and then i will send the money

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

no but anyone dumb enough to drive for uber has bigger problems

Yep.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

There's lots of situations where companies pay a ransom rather than disclose a breach, or pay to unlock ransomwared PCs, I have no idea why this is getting this kind of coverage other than "lol uber" and "unethical!!"

Like Equifax disclosed their breach that doesn't make the poo poo any better, you just know about it, and the folks that got the Uber data seemingly did go through with deleting it and keeping the incident quiet.

Other than its Lol uber, wouldn't you rather want some company to shell out $100k instead of shrugging and having your info get dumped?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

We should throw that Kalanick guy in jail

First refusing to stand for the national anthem and now this smh

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Other than its Lol uber, wouldn't you rather want some company to shell out $100k instead of shrugging and having your info get dumped?

The data can still get dumped at any time.

This was purely a move to delay the PR fallout of the leak.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's also illegal to cover it up like they did

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's time to but some loving silicon valley nerds in jail

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tallgeese posted:

The data can't still get dumped at any time.

This was purely a move to delay the PR fallout of the leak.

If it actually got deleted then what they did was way better than not paying imo

If it doesn't show up in the next few weeks I'd say it was money well spent

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's also illegal to cover it up like they did

There are sooooooooooooo many breaches that don't get disclosed, I get what you're saying, but also, lol

Like the Yahoo poo poo coming out when Verizon was buying them for liability reasons etc etc

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's time to put some nerds in jail

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There's lots of situations where companies pay a ransom rather than disclose a breach, or pay to unlock ransomwared PCs, I have no idea why this is getting this kind of coverage other than "lol uber" and "unethical!!"

Like Equifax disclosed their breach that doesn't make the poo poo any better, you just know about it, and the folks that got the Uber data seemingly did go through with deleting it and keeping the incident quiet.

your stupid

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

i like that posted:

your stupid

Super mad that Uber negotiates with terrorists!!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There are sooooooooooooo many breaches that don't get disclosed, I get what you're saying, but also, lol

Like the Yahoo poo poo coming out when Verizon was buying them for liability reasons etc etc

There's a lot of unsolved crimes out there too. Doesn't make it ok to do them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

i like that posted:

your stupid

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They should have disclosed the fact that they got hacked

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Guys come on, if they paid the ransom and then they release the info anyway the hand of the free market will ensure that next time uber chooses to get hacked it will be by a different more reliable institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dog Jones posted:

They should have disclosed the fact that they got hacked

Like if you're paying the money though it's to have it fly under the radar like shitloads of other hacks do

and if the data got deleted then its sorta a hack, as in, other people had access to the poo poo but got rid of it

I get the disclosure and all that, just this whole thing seems super reasonable vs tons of hacks you simply don't hear about until the day the dumps appear / ever if the dumps don't appear

What I'm saying is poo poo is getting hacked left and right and the stuff being disclosed is such a tiny portion of it so in this case :shrug:

• Locked thread