Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So this thing with EA and Star Wars Loot boxes being so expensive, and their contents hard to get by normal play...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/16/loot-boxes-are-not-gambling-ea-tells-european-gaming-commissions-7085544/

Now Europe is asking if Loot boxes are gambling.

I never really thought about it because this poo poo is so accepted in video games, F2P and such, but when you think about it, you’re paying real money for virtual tokens that allow you to play a game of chance, which awards prizes randomly. That sounds a lot like gambling. And gambling needs regulations.

Obviously games have had this element of chance and random loot drops forever and that’s part of the fun, but once you involve real money in direct exchange for a chance to win, well...

Personally, I think it would be great if this was a kick in the nuts for the whole Loot box trend. More articles asking “Did you know your kids are gambling in the latest STAR WARS VIDEOGAME?”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. They are absolutely loving gambling.

I've known for years that game development conferences are HEAVILY about how to basically exploit gambling practices for profit. They saw how RNG is addictive in games like Diablo and wanted to find a way to make money on it. If you're spending money to spin a wheel and get an item of an unknown value it is Goddamn close enough for me.

Gambling in games should be with in-game currency only and there should be no way that pay currency ever gets figured in the mix. I could tolerate micro transactions (even though buying power has always been bullshit) as a concept but not this.

The only reason I've never cared is they've always felt optional to me. A thing I could do, but had no need to engage in. It wasn't until the CS:GO Lottery scandal did I realize how big a business they were, but then tying them to progression so they could no longer be ignored... that's why I hate them most of all now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Personally, I think it would be great if this was a kick in the nuts for the whole Loot box trend. More articles asking “Did you know your kids are gambling in the latest STAR WARS VIDEOGAME?”.

Said kick in the nuts is why EA is rolling things back. Disney delivered said kick, because reddit pushed that very same message.

This whole fiasco has had the most civil and organized reddit response in the history of loving reddit, I have no idea how.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 22, 2017

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Being cheap landfill destined plastic crap is worse than the gambling.

This is all ironic since online poker is legal in Europe, which you can ruin yourself much more easily than loot boxes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Pay $5 to unlock this post:

75% chance for a shitpost
15% chance for a funny comment
5% chance I get probated
3% chance for an insightful comment
2% chance I get banned
1% chance for an insightful and funny comment (Platinum Accounts Only - Upgrade Now!)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Yes for sure. Especially if you can sell the items you get to other players for real money like on Steam.

And actually there are many sites where you can gamble with in game items (based on their value in USD) in games of chance or betting on esports.

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!
True story: I'm not a gamer, but I tend to get swept up in internet outrages easily. During the peak of the EA debacle, I ended up experiencing severe chest pains whenever I read the phrase "loot boxes". So I greasemonkeyed up an autocorrect like function that would jumble the phrase as "BOOTLOXES", and this staved off any potentially worrying heart problems for a while. Well one night, I smoked up some sneaker weed I found in my closet and proceeded to get my rear end so fuckin baked that the next time I locked eyes on the word BOOTLOXES I experienced what I can only describe as a brain crash - my thinking became incoherent, my chest felt like a vacuum, I was seeing stars. Eventually this star imagery coalesced into a memory of a video featuring a camgirl fisting herself with a puppet. I came so hard I blacked out. Woke up half a day later with piss like a terrible Russian soup.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
'‘A player’s ability to succeed in the game is not dependent on purchasing crates. Players can also earn crates through playing the game and not spending any money at all. Once obtained, players are always guaranteed to receive content that can be used in game.’

How does that stop it from being Gambling?

That's just their stock response to 'Are loot boxes bad???' They just fire back with, 'No, you can just get the same thing by playing!' and people eat that up.

That's not what people are asking here though. With real gambling you just get money, and you can just get money through working hard, too. People are dropping cash for a randomized reward, and it's randomized to encourage people to drop more cash on it to get that Jackpot rush.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

'‘A player’s ability to succeed in the game is not dependent on purchasing crates. Players can also earn crates through playing the game and not spending any money at all. Once obtained, players are always guaranteed to receive content that can be used in game.’

Looks like someone never heard that time is money

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Gambling addict here.
f there is a rush its gambling, period.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

pay2win lootboxes only show up in trash games so it's kinda hard for me to care

oh nooooo, they ruined an uninspired AAA shooter that's banking 100% on your childhood nostalgia for the tired Star Wars license

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
obviously yes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*bolts a lottery onto a game and gives 0 value consolation prizes to losers*
Is this gambling?

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
I have $25 burning a hole in my pocket. what should spend it on besides pokemon go coins

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

I have $25 burning a hole in my pocket. what should spend it on besides pokemon go coins

Random trash-tier Fiverr on the subject of "loot boxes" and post the results here.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I literally spent money on Killing Floor 2 to open a box that had a chance at containing an item worth magnitudes higher higher than other items that could be within.

Spend money on long-odds towards making more money that you cannot influence in any way. That's pretty much gambling.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, this is something worse. At least with gambling you might actually win some money back.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

predatory capitalism aimed at children is p edgy stuff

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

*bolts a lottery onto a game and gives 0 value consolation prizes to losers*
Is this gambling?

I am Mr. Bigtime Business Suit, and I say no. No, because [reads unrelated stock response off the wrong card].

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
is it even gambling if you get account-locked cosmetics like overwatch? everyone can get them, they don't do anything, and you can't sell them. seems like a fine system to make a few bucks off the ol fat whales

i'd def agree it's gambling if you pay money with expected payout of some monetary value, either directly being able to sell through the platform or even third party resell (like old d2 trade forums)

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

aren't bosses in world of warcraft basically loot boxes? players pay $15 a month to RNG the items they need to get stronger and enjoy more content that was inaccessible to them previously

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Percelus posted:

predatory capitalism aimed at children is p edgy stuff
children, noted havers of money? i dunno about you, but i was poor kid and pirated all my games/movies and didn't have a credit card until i was 18 (unless you count a $50 prepaid visa when i was 17, and i can tell you the last thing i would want to spend money on is a fart monkey hat).

and my kids def won't get a credit card until their late teens as well.

i'm not convinced that children are really the ones spending mega bucks buying zany toilet hats, and instead 25-30+ something lonely goony whale types

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I only play board games such as Axis & Allies (A&A), original poster (OP). I usually cheat overnight and add a few tanks and subtract units from my opponents. This too, is a form of gambling, as if I got caught I think the ruffians I play A&A with would likely manhandle me from head to toe.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

is it even gambling if you get account-locked cosmetics like overwatch? everyone can get them, they don't do anything, and you can't sell them. seems like a fine system to make a few bucks off the ol fat whales

i'd def agree it's gambling if you pay money with expected payout of some monetary value, either directly being able to sell through the platform or even third party resell (like old d2 trade forums)

i guess that's a question about the purpose of gambling regulations

if gambling regulations exist only to prevent money laundering, loot boxes not being convertible to currency is valid for them to not fall under the laws

if gambling regulations exist, at least in part, to prevent the gambling industry from loving over people too much, too hard, too fast, then loot boxes are definitely gambling

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
i suppose the primary issue would be that, if you said loot boxes were gambling, then they basically couldn't exist due to digital gambling laws

this is probably a touch too far, but going in the other directions on creating addendums to digital gambling laws to be slightly more permissive to things like loot boxes, then you open the flood gates for shadier poo poo to slip through

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah right and uhhh is pokemon trading card booster packs gambling as well?? how about those kinder eggs where the toy is random? lmao retards asking the hard hitting questions here.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Agreed, a big part of gambling is the expectation of material gain. Cosmetic poo poo and even playable characters don’t really count because they don’t have any real value. Even if it’s transferable, is the value in the item or is it for the players time to hunt that poo poo down

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
in the end, loot boxes should probably filter under the general umbrella of microtransactions which probably need to have regulated created for them tbh

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
yes I definitely think tax dollars should be spent on enforcing regulations for freaking video game loot boxes, are you serious

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
this... this loot box.. this is gambling!! i will not tolerate this and hereby boycott all EA games

*buys $500 worth of hearthstone packs*

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've known for years that game development conferences are HEAVILY about how to basically exploit gambling practices for profit. They saw how RNG is addictive in games like Diablo and wanted to find a way to make money on it. If you're spending money to spin a wheel and get an item of an unknown value it is Goddamn close enough for me.

I've never enjoyed gambling and I've never liked Blizzard games (or anything like them) and it's only within the past few years I put the two together.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xaris posted:

Yes it is gambling, full stop. It should be noted that other industries are not allowed to do this. Loot boxes are a pure greed move to create a worse consumer outcome because the companies decided that simply selling a product did not make them enough money, and people somehow bought and defended their half assed explanations.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Is it gambling if there's no hope of making a real return on investment?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Is it gambling if there's no hope of making a real return on investment?

Heck, I'm sure some games have better odds than some state-run lotteries - that's not the issue lol.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

chumbler posted:

Yes it is gambling, full stop. It should be noted that other industries are not allowed to do this.
Other industries like... magic or sports trading card booster packs? cereal box toys? sweepstakes? horse races? or even buying a loving bag of fortune cookies, since fortune cookie fortunes are just as useless as locked toilet-gorilla hats.

i'm totally in agreement that poo poo like tf2 or csgo is gambling or some other shady money-laundering mmo iap poo poo, but i have zero problem with the way blizzard did lootboxes in overwatch. now i'd have a problem if they let and even encouraged you to resell stuff

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Absolutely not. Gambling only happens in very specific, very detailed circumstances that you can find in the legal code. None of those strictly defined situations applies to loot boxes.

Coming up next, Russian Loot Boxes. One in every hundred player... dies!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Xaris posted:

Other industries like... magic or sports trading card booster packs? cereal box toys? sweepstakes? horse races? or even buying a loving bag of fortune cookies, since fortune cookie fortunes are just as useless as locked toilet-gorilla hats.

I would feel no worse for wear if we got rid of all those things through regulations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Magnitogorsk. posted:

yes I definitely think tax dollars should be spent on enforcing regulations for freaking video game loot boxes, are you serious

Spending tax dollars on law enforcement creates
jobs. We should be enforcing all the laws

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are identical to slot machines so
No

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Part of the problem with discussing a policy about something like this is that there are varying kinds of loot boxes. Also really has to depend on whether or not there's painting way to trade specific items with other people for money and if there are rare high-value items that can be traded this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Spinster posted:

Gambling addict here.
f there is a rush its gambling, period.

Wanna bet?

• Locked thread