Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Name: Scramble
Portrait #11
Class: Newtype
HP: 1d6 6
Move: 1d4 1
Mutation roll 1: 1d20 10 -Chitinous Carapace
Mutation roll 2: 1d20 20 -Regeneration
Supply roll: 1d6 3 -Optiscope

I am an egg.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 6 / MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION]

Scramble... well, scrambles from the pod. Carapace clacks on carapace as she checks for damage. Unharmed. Gestation continues. Time to get some distance from the crash zone.

Move 13.11 to 12.11

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 1, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 6 / MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION]

Scramble pauses, head cocking at a glinting shape nearby. She gets that sinking feeling only felt by people who have trudged deep into a minefield before noticing. A rare but potent emotion. Shuck it, this isn't good.

A deep, distorted chuckling sounds from a twisted drift of sheet metal and caked grit to her right. Several abhumans are slinking from cover. Two have the twisted and boil covered physique of the helix-doomed. They're chaff. The larger shape is healthier or least not immediately degenerating. The basso chuckle rumbles from its drooping proboscis. It points at her and then makes a hideous slurping noise.

Well that concludes the diplomatic portion of this encounter. Running away in a minefield seems an exercise in rapid self-deletion. And the snouted one could no doubt sniff out her trail even if she made it clear.

Two problems. Maybe one solution. Scramble shuffles warily into position, edging close to the mine that had caught her eye. With a prayer and swift kick, she flicks the mine at the abhumans.

Improvise: 1d6 3 -Toxic Zone!

Or at least that was the plan. The mine sails past the mutants into their festering lair. There's a crumping explosion and hideous green smoke comes boiling out. What the shell were they stockpiling in there?

(So I have no idea if I'm doing combat right here. I'm assuming without a weapon I can't attack, but wasn't sure if there are restrictions on improvising. Also not sure what a toxic zone does but sounds fun)

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 2, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 5 / MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION]

Operation Explosive Football take two.

Improvise: 1d6 3 -Toxic Zone... again

Well, that's all yolks.

Scan

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 4, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, probably wise to Scan in the action phase then. So I can run through the mines if I keep finding green barrels.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 4, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 4 / MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION]

Operation Explosive Football take two(three? Scramble has the strangest feeling of dejavu).

Improvise: 1d6 3 -Toxic Zone... again

Well, that's all yolks.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Bee Bonk posted:

Sir, this is a drive-thru Movement Phase. If you don't want to move, I can go ahead and lock that combat action in for Encounter Phase, though!

Oh hell. It appears I completely lack the ability to discern phases or follow instructions. Who knew Scramble would be so literal.

No move. May as well lock it in since I've been trying so hard to submit it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 4 / MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION]

"My hero. Friends sounds fine to me. Speaking of which, I'd watch your step on our way out of here, new friend. Why don't you figure out a safe way out while I see if these gene-wastes had any shinies?"

Salvage: 1d6 2

Oh, always pleased to hear from a sponsor, one must think about a stable future for one's... progeny. And tasty sauce too. Bonus!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 2/ MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION] 2 luxe

Time to leave this shellhole. "Alright, let's move new friend."

Move from 12.11 to 11.10

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Distant explosions and shots add urgency to Scramble's plodding pace. Would she find her tentative ally ahead or his smoking corpse and a grinning doom? Visions of doom and ambush dance in her head. And then Doobrie's very distinct accent rings out ahead. Oh, well everything's fine then.

"YES I HEAR YOU. THE NAME IS SCRAMBLE, MADMAN."

May as well snag a passing shiny.

Salvage: 1d6 4

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 2/ MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION] 6 luxe
Scramble winces and idly rubs a chemical burn as she reads the death notice. Green Barrels, good at melting newtypes, yum!

Following her moment of silence there's moment of intense panic as a beta enforcer rises in front of her with a mechanical hum. Scramble desperately scans the the terrain for something explodey until she realizes the mecha is waving jauntily at her.

Scramble exhales loudly then approaches the beta.

"Kickin' rig, madman. Why do you need a teammate if you walk away for a minute and show back up in heavy ordinance?" Scramble grins. "Still, I'm along for the ride. What now?"

Move 11.10 to 11.9 Upload all luxe

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 2/ MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION] 0 luxe

"Two shells are better than one. I won't say no to that offer."

Mount the rig.

"Let's see if they improved the cockpit on these over the gammas. Ooooo, yes indeed." The beta goes through a quick shimmying routine as Scramble checks the systems. Moments later her voice rings out over the external speakers.

"Alright, I'll take lead. I'll be extremely pissed if you're splattered before I can return the favor of jacking you a ride, so stay in the rig's shadow when the shots start flying."

"As for the supply drone? I don't know if I need to be here for it. The word drone implies some tracking capability but what do I know? We can circle back if need be."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Let's make for the Tower."

"Even with slick new metal legs we're not the fastest here. It will be good to know who's where and try and target them."

Scramble's rig swivels to face a camera drone. It raises it gun to "rest" on its shoulder heroically.

"And anyone in our way is about to get burned." There's a long beat and the awkward feeling that the new type has a hideous forced smile on under her gas mask.

"Um.. yea, let's go"

Move from 11.09 to 10.9 to 10.8

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[BetaEnforcer / HP3/6 /MOVE 2/Fuel 3]

"Gah, kill it! Kill it!"

Scramble brings up the the rig's gun and squeezes off a burst.

Attack: 1d8 3

Wide. (Unless the scope applies, then I need to reroll)

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Quit trying to reason with it. The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of an ex. If it's anything like Chad there's no hope of peaceful interaction."

Scramble takes a moment to size up the battlefield. Prepping for an Ambush, in case this barbecue gets any hotter.

"I'm not legging it. Someone has to stay or that tongue could catch you on the way out. Besides, this clanker," The rig taps its chest with surprising dexterity. "can take a shot or two."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The wind picks up, bringing with it the sound of billions of tiny metallic impacts that blend together into a eerie roar.

"Well that settles that."

Don't move. Hexes I mean. Standing still while fighting this monstrosity would be bad.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Just you and me here now, ugly."

Attack: 1d8 1

Hmm, surprisingly nimble for giant sack of fat and teeth. No doubt Scramble is about to get a closer look at the latter.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Well hell. The storm intensifies enough that Scramble thinks she'll be able to dodge the beast's lashing tongue. No time to look a gift king's horse in the mouth.

Move 10.08 to 10.07

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 27, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

More shelling gene-wastes. Too many for even the lovely shotgun to take on before they brought her down. Especially with that lobelord coordinating their efforts. If she can take that one out though...

Scramble lines up a shot. The cable break on a conveniently placed crane.

Improvise: 1d6 4
Crane Boom: 1d8 2

The boom plummets from its rusty perch. THWUMP! A ton of metal drops with perfect bonebreaking force... three feet to the left of the cortex.

Scramble sighs. Maybe her next incarnation will be able to succeed at even one single task.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

.....Scan........

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, still alive. Still Scramble, even.

Only momentarily shocked, Scramble lunges to one side of a bumbling mutie and hip slides over the hood of a wrecked car. She isn't a distance runner but should be able to dodge these drem-leavings for at least a while.

Move 10.07 to 11.06

As she runs, Scramble ignores the blinking death notice on her wristcomp. The longer she avoids looking at it the longer she can pretend her ally had used her distraction to make it somewhere safe instead of... whatever happened.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Already in a bad mood, Scramble begins ranting as several mutant grunts move to bar her path.

"drat uncurated gene tweakers. 'Boohoo, I've been exposed to mutagens. Do I do the responsible thing and get nu-helix treatment? Learn self encoding meditation? Go so far into debt while attempting to reach apotheosis that bloodsports are one's only recourse? No! I gibber and drool in someone else's way until they get fed up and shotgun my face off.'"

Scramble punctuates this diatribe by shotgunning several faces off.

Attack: 1d12 8
Rampage!
Attack: 1d12 11

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Scramble keeps her shotgun trained on the mutant as the two other bodies hit the floor.

"I'd be scavenging this zone right now if it wasn't for your demi-human rear end trying fruitlessly to gnaw through my carapace."

She fumbles at her wrist comp with her free hand. Maybe the weather had cleared enough for a decent scan.

.....Scan........

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Scramble does a double take at the scan results then looks skyward, exasperated.

"Of course. Well hopefully the titan takes its time mashing you into paste." Scramble gives the mutant one final rude gesture and scuttles off. Her plans haven't changed.

Move 11.06 to 12.06

An alert dings. Wishlist, hmm?

I'd prefer to save up for mutagens during my apotheosis (when regen kicks in). The offer though is much appreciated.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Eat electric death, tumor-taxis!"

Scramble is startled to find that overloading the exposed conduits here to create an electromagnetic pulse does absolutely nothing to these completely biological enemies. But at least the EMP might prevent her ignominious death from being captured by the camera drones? What's that? Shielded and hardened? Mhm, that makes sense.

Improvise: 1d6 6

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Scramble cackles as she reads the message. She had heard of Rook of course and this move was very like them. It was a bonus to her yes, but not without repercussions. The wreckers Rook had appropriated funds from would be looking to collect. The boon fosters competition, competition fosters evolution, evolution pleases Rook.

Well, vengeful wreckers were a secondary concern. First she had to clear these gene wastes off her presents.

Ambush

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

No movement.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 7, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Scamble starts to feel that she really should just be shotgunning dudes, and helix be drat how long that takes. Either the hordes will break or she will.

Attack: 1d12 10 2 damage to the Cortex

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Scramble is only mildly perturbed that she appears to be leaking blood from her eyes. Apparently she's pissed off the mutant cortex. Ah, well one can only only cower before certain death so many times in one day.

"I've had better brain fucks from a pop song, zit-brain."

Ambush

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Movement, I think not

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 1/ MOVE: 1 / CHITINOUS CARAPACE / REGENERATION] 2 luxe

Scramble wonders what her next form will be like. Long limbed? Curiously chromaphored? Layered with muscle? Her meditations and medications only give her so much control, mostly breaking the riotous cycles of cancer and syndrome. Enough dithering! Scramble whips out from behind the concrete pylon she'd been taking cover behind. Her shotgun tracks up, centering on the cortex. The nimbus around its pale skull is threateningly bright.

"Cueball, side pocket."

Attack: 1d12 5 1 damage to Mutant Cortex

RAMPAGE!

Attack: 1d12 2 Misses Mutant Grunt

Tsk, missed the trick shot.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 3/ MOVE: 4 / PATIENT ZERO / FLEXIBLE SNOUT 2 luxe

Mutation roll 1: 1d20 19 Patient Zero -Lamest.
Mutation roll 2: 1d20 5 Flexible Snout -Yay!
HP: 1d6 3 -Acceptable.
Move: 1d6 4 !!!!HUZZAH!!!!

The age of the egg ends! Thus begins the age of... anything but 1MP. Truly a great age.

I may have also taken a quick peek at the mutation I'll get from using the mutagen... Mutation!: 1d20 13 Most apropos.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 12, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Bee Bonk posted:

You were this close to being an egg inside an egg! Oh, and sorry to rain on the dawning of a new age, but sadly the Movement roll for generating Newtypes is 1d4.

Hah yea. I would have had to affect a Russian accent for clearly I am matryoshka doll.

Also if I roll a 1... nope, I was merely prophesying earlier Move: 1d4 4

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 12, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The details of Scramble's transformation are best left to the Vesuvius Space BBQ Meat CAM. Suffice it to say that after breaking free of her old husk like a butterfly escaping a chrysalis, Scramble is ready to stretch her new limbs. But first, more mutant murder.

Attack: 1d12 10 1 damage to mutant grunt.

Rampage!

Attack: 1d12 4 1 damage to mutant grunt.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

That, that loving hurt. This new form is so frail! Well, there are ways to change that...

Scramble slams the autoinjector into her thigh and stifles a gasp as the gene shock sweats hit. She can feel blood vessels twisting and knotting in her skull.

Mutation!: 1d20 13

And suddenly the world snaps into focus. Scramble can feel the gentle pulse of the grunts' simple thoughts, can hear the thrumming power of her own mind. It would be so easy to reach out and... twist.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 2/ MOVE: 4 / PATIENT ZERO / FLEXIBLE SNOUT / PULSATING SKULL 2 luxe

Scramble missed having a partner. Doing everything alone took forever.

No movement

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 2/ MOVE: 4 / PATIENT ZERO / FLEXIBLE SNOUT / PULSATING SKULL 2 luxe

Just two mutants standing between Scramble and some loot.

Attack: 1d12 12 1 damage to Mutant Grunt

Rampage!

Attack: 1d12 1 Miss!

Scramble misses as someone sets off a nuke on the battlefield. Well hell, that was probably the boss.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Scramble looks at the remaining mutant, nonplussed.

"Look, I'm opening this box and then I'm leaving. You can try and stop me and die or you can chill and even get a cool box to sleep in or something. Whatever. I don't care."

Scramble attempts popping the seal on the Wrecksmas present.

Supply roll: 1d20 15 Coffin Nail.

Scramble stares at the unassuming shell in her hand and then at the boss kill notice on her wristcomp. A long moment passes before Scramble starts cackling. She's still laughing as the exfil helo-rig swoops in.

Item exfil bill:

+10

+20

+30

=60 luxe

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

[SCRAMBLE / HP: 3/ MOVE: 4 / PATIENT ZERO / FLEXIBLE SNOUT / PULSATING SKULL 0 luxe

Scramble stares at the med bills. They weren't kidding about the "unstable" in "unstable mutagen." It had taken nearly a kilo-cred worth of treatments just to stabilize her thyroid function long-term. Ah, perfection has its costs. And Scramble would reach perfection. She thumbs the authorization for re-entry.

Upgrading Pulsating Skull and while Scavenger is very tempting to be able to afford all the mutagens I plan on consuming, Evolver is clearly the thematic pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Excitement. Feel free to file this under "sucking up to god" but you're awesome. All your stuff oozes personality and smart world-building and I'm having a blast in all your threads. That is all.

Morituri te salutant!