Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jestery posted:

Its the explicitness of them that kinda gets me

Like "he was really very good" just makes me want to get out the read pen, circle it and write "try explaining how he is good, show don't tell"

The author has so deftly described stuff prior in the book that hitting "he was really very good" just feels wholey out of place.

And the Lord of the rings one, again is just explicitly giving reference rather than working it in

It's not a character saying something like

"Reminds me of something out of the depths of a tolkien book" "da comrade, Mordor" it's going point blank to the camera "hi there reader, it's like that other epic book series , you know lord of the rings? Yeah that one"

The first tells us not only that the engineer is a good musician but that Floyd is surprised at his skill. The narration is from his perspective. The second is in quotation marks so, as far as I can tell, it actually is a character saying it? Again, it communicates something about that character as well as the thing he's describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Describing people performing music seems to be a stumbling block for a lot of authors, and I feel like that particular gloss isn't the most egregious I've seen. (Paul Auster's Moon Palace, a book so empty and tedious that I used to have it around the house just to read random garbage paragraphs from it out loud at my baffled fiance, has a segment where Auster goes on for several paragraphs about how the narrator's songwriter uncle writes the most delightful, playful, charming lyrics, with absolutely no examples at all. I understand that prose writing and songwriting aren't identical skills and it's risky to actually try and show these things instead of telling them, but it just came off as so masturbatory.)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Tiggum posted:

The first tells us not only that the engineer is a good musician but that Floyd is surprised at his skill. The narration is from his perspective. The second is in quotation marks so, as far as I can tell, it actually is a character saying it? Again, it communicates something about that character as well as the thing he's describing.
I definitely got a sort of sci-fi author writes art kind of vibe so that tracks

I'm not doing the closest read, and it jumps around on perspective a bit ,but that makes enough sense, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt

And that it jumped out at me like that definitely lends it to being intentional

:shrug:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
At least saying "they were really good at music" doesn't require you to produce actual good music. There's a lot of authors who try to portray genius writers, but the in-text examples of the genius writer's genius writing all suck.

Take Cameron "Buck" Williams, the award-winning journalist from Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkin's Left Behind series:

quote:

To say the Israelis were caught off guard, Cameron Williams had written, was like saying the Great Wall of China was long.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This isn't weird and I haven't read it but I was browsing a publisher's website and ran across this, and the sheer matter-of-factness of it made me smile:

"Jesse the Middle Ages Dog"

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I've shifted my focus away from WW2 in the past decade, but Glantz is legit one of the pioneers of bringing the Soviet perspective to the western audience. I bet this book is loving great and I would gladly have it in my library.

Glantz core criticism of the Western view of the Eastern Front is that it relied too heavily on German sources, mostly because until the fall of the USSR it was all that was available. He was a leading voice in using primary source documents from the former Soviet archives to start presenting a different narrative of the conflict which was more balanced, and was really a milestone in the historiography of the Eastern Front.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 15, 2021

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Some of our home collection. We collect pretty much anything that catches our eye - good, bad, weird, if it's interesting, we get it.
If you'd like to see better pics of these, just ask!

Some Manga

European/American comics

Unusual fantasy books (we're in Czechia so there's a pretty unique selection to choose from).

Manga that my girl got from Italy and Germany, along with some manhwa I got in S. Korea

Tall comics, some are Czech exclusive

Interesting manga (Saikano is out of print now, which is sad because it's pretty dang good)

Bonus - Czech fantasy covers own the bones -

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 15, 2021

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/nuns_on_film/status/1361426617491415041?s=19

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought the guy only knew Portuguese, but used a French phrasebook for Portuguese-speakers first, and then translated the French phrases with a French-English dictionary? At least that's how I remember from Readers' Digest back in the 80s.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Finally got around to taking some photos of a few from my own shelves. This is such a great thread, and I don't have too much to contribute compared to others, but I thought these were neat parts of my collection.

I've published a couple of my own books, and I firmly believe any adventure author should have a nice copy of Treasure Island sitting somewhere on their shelves. I also got it with a very cool collection of Kipling bound by, apparently, the London Folio Society in 1972. The Treasure Island copy came from the Heritage Club and included a nice little newsletter that the booksellers may have forgotten.

I think I got them both from The Iliad Bookstore in Los Angeles, which was by far one of my favorite haunts and may be one of the best used bookstores in the country.

This copy is super old but the recipes still have gotten me by!

Sure why not something local

I've had a few interesting jobs over the years. The first was cleaning these things on a regular basis as part of my time doing tours for the studio. The signatures are George Barris, creator of the '66 Batmobile, and Andy Smith, designer of the Keaton and Tumblr Batmobiles.

The other (and probably my favorite time ever working) was working in a photo gallery that had a major, major exhibit from National Geographic. Every week, one of their photographers came to give a free lecture. Like half my job was meeting them, researching their work, and doing interviews. If you think they've lived some interesting lives, uh, they've been even waaaay more crazy than you're probably thinking.

(Steve McCurry on left and David Doubilet on right with the fun sharks)

The copy of Inside Tracks is pretty cool. It uses an app called Aurasma that lets your phone scan the book's pictures and brings up videos from Smolan talking about it a little more or showing clips from the film they did a bit back. It's also just a gorgeous art book all around.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 16, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh poo poo the Nat Geo afghan girl w/signature is awesome. One of the most iconic photos ever made. I'd love to have that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have the Complete Works of Robert Louis Stevenson in one volume and last year I found out it's missing like... two pieces he published :( It's got all the novels and poems and short stories, though... I THINK :tinfoil:

(Oddly enough I can't find a picture of the exact edition I have on-line but it's red and has very thin pages so there.)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Lots of cool stuff posted above!

I have some new stuff which I'll post soon, but in the meantime, here is a new thread that fans of this one may enjoy:

Crazy Old Valentine's Cards:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959143

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

There are two more books in that series. 2061 and 3001.

The weirdest part of the "2000" series is how it isn't until 3001 that a book is actually a sequel to the previous one. 2010 is a sequel to the movie 2001, not the book and the same thing with 2010/2061.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Man, what I wouldn’t I give to have this in audiobook form as read by Stephen Fry, for example. The dialogues could be between him and Rowan Atkinson, or someone else who could read it with a straight face.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tac Dibar posted:

Man, what I wouldn’t I give to have this in audiobook form as read by Stephen Fry, for example. The dialogues could be between him and Rowan Atkinson, or someone else who could read it with a straight face.

Ian McShane or Brian Cox

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

No way, somebody get this dude to do it:

https://youtu.be/pWyOrbpGCpE

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1961 printing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

D-Pad posted:

No way, somebody get this dude to do it:

https://youtu.be/pWyOrbpGCpE

Now that got a belly laugh, and since I am goon, it’s a biiiiig belly!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tac Dibar posted:

Gilbert Gottfried and Brian BlessedBobcat Goldthwait.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

A birthday present.
I can't show most of it here. Not even the cover, which shows a car which has sustained a lot of damage.

Plenty of bodies. Very little blood, no gore, lots of deceased people who look no worse than the guy below, if even that bad.
Lots of unoccupied "there's now way anyone survived that" wrecked vehicles.

Plenty of gawkers.

The guys on the left are standing right next to the driver's side door.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

D-Pad posted:

Today is my birthday and I made a big score at the local used book store:

This is a (signed!) 2nd printing of the first paperback edition released in the UK. No idea how it ended up in a used book store in Texas.

I found a signed copy of Mostly Harmless at a thrift store in oregon
Its made out to "Matt" but gently caress him, its mine now

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Don't you loving try" said Anttila of his shadow. (I have no idea where this got blurry, looks fine in my phone gallery, sorry.)

I gave him the wounds and the ointments, said Alafree when he hit with a booze bottle. (Southern Ostrobothnia)

A drunkard makes careful use of the road. (Southern Karelia)

This lesson wouldn't be lost on others, said the bell-ringer when he was drunk and beaten by the wife. (Finland Proper)

No matter how drunk one gets, it's never the same as being sober. (Newland)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 21, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

I swear someone mentioned this book here, but I can't find where. Maybe it was in the magazine thread. RE/Search also has a book about Bob Flanagan which I've posted.

Anyway, I bought this copy for $5 on ebay back when I wasn't quite so broke.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This is a self-published book from 2003 ostensibly about deceased Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley, but ACTUALLY about the crazy author and her obsession with Layne.

My description does not accurately portray just how unhinged this book is. If I ever get easy access to a scanner again, I'll have to post some highlights.

Anyway, Adriana Rubio also self-published another book on the same subject named "Angry Chair." I'm still searching for a copy of that one.

Both are exceedingly difficult to find, and typically sell for over $100 when they do show up on ebay.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I swear someone mentioned this book here, but I can't find where. Maybe it was in the magazine thread. RE/Search also has a book about Bob Flanagan which I've posted.

Anyway, I bought this copy for $5 on ebay back when I wasn't quite so broke.

I don't know about the book, but I think there was a documentary about him at some point that I heard about on Junk Food Dinner a few years back.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Is this the song? It’s surprisingly good!

https://youtu.be/eqK3aBgLI_Y

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

I just bought a copy because that slaps

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Happy 100th Birthday to one of the greats:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Happy 100th Birthday to one of the greats:

Hbd to a real one.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This is a self-published book from 2003 ostensibly about deceased Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley, but ACTUALLY about the crazy author and her obsession with Layne.

My description does not accurately portray just how unhinged this book is. If I ever get easy access to a scanner again, I'll have to post some highlights.

Anyway, Adriana Rubio also self-published another book on the same subject named "Angry Chair." I'm still searching for a copy of that one.

Both are exceedingly difficult to find, and typically sell for over $100 when they do show up on ebay.

I would be interested in reading from this.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Jestery posted:

The sequel to 2001 a space Odyssey

2010 the Odyssey continues

It's an odd one, that has the impression of watching a B-movie where the screenwriter was obsessed with explaining himself to the detriment of the story, buuut the cinematographer was really talented

I take it you hadn't seen the movie, then? Because this is about the least surprising thing ever (and suggests, at the very least, the movie reproduced the book very faithfully, haha).

Tac Dibar posted:

It was really very good :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I take it you hadn't seen the movie, then? Because this is about the least surprising thing ever (and suggests, at the very least, the movie reproduced the book very faithfully, haha).

In my general googlings it seems my reaction of

"It's pretty good pulp I guess"

Is shared by many people, I am very curious to see the film if it recreates the visuals somewhat faithfully, there are some really nice metaphors like "throwing dyed black grains of rice" or the way the Europan life moved that was just inspired

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Jestery posted:

In my general googlings it seems my reaction of

"It's pretty good pulp I guess"

Is shared by many people, I am very curious to see the film if it recreates the visuals somewhat faithfully, there are some really nice metaphors like "throwing dyed black grains of rice" or the way the Europan life moved that was just inspired

Sadly that passage, which is easily the best in the book, doesn't make it to the he film.

I'm maybe a bit more charitable to both book and film of 2010 than most. I think they do a decent job of being a sequel to 2001. It's just that 2001 is best off not having a sequel.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
With 2010 it's like they were going for "like Alien except not scary" as if they were unaware that Alien was already explicitly "like 2001 except scary" so watching it is like some kind of snake-eating-its-own-tail kind of thing.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I don't know if anyone here reads Sean Tejaratchi's (Liartown USA) Crap Hound clip-art magazine, but I thought I'd mention that there are several new issues for 2020:

I was a huge fan of Sean/Liartown and had a number of his publications and am sad to discover he's a reactionary right wing chud now into Andy Ngo/Jack Pasobiec crap and spends all day liking TERFy and anti-BLM garbage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MasterSitsu posted:

I was a huge fan of Sean/Liartown and had a number of his publications and am sad to discover he's a reactionary right wing chud now into Andy Ngo/Jack Pasobiec crap and spends all day liking TERFy and anti-BLM garbage.

What are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What are you talking about

Dude made fun of social justice stuff in a lot of his work ("Wokus Pocus" was a fave of mine) and it seemed like it wasn't intended to be malicious, but looking at the likes on his twitter feed its nothing but cancel culture gripes, Ben Shapiro, Ngo, Prager, "Radical centrism", police apologism, "Gender critical" posts intentionally misgendering people. Seems like a great guy.

MasterSitsu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 5, 2021