Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Our siamese (yeah I know, part of this is just that siamese cats are assholes) is neutered but he still has aggression towards our 2 female cats. He gets along great with our other male cat. All cats are spayed/neutered. He also seems to have seasonal alopecia that comes and goes and is loosely correlated with how unhinged he gets from time to time. It's really random because he seems to be bipolar, he'll go from lovey-dovey cuddly to angry and lookin for a fight in no time flat, and vice versa. We took him to a vet a while back to see if maybe they missed a bit in the neutering but they said it was all normal. They also ran bloodwork and everything was fine. There is one of our girls specifically that really hates him, so admittedly it might be that she presents herself as vulnerable and that gets him opportunistically aggressive? idk, we've tried feliway, it helped marginally sometimes, but sometimes not. I still sort of think it's hormonal but maybe it's something else. any ideas of what to try next?

at the moment him and the nemesis cat are not allowed to interact with each other at all. We keep them separated at night with a screen door.

here's a picture of the rear end in a top hat himself :3:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'd be pretty upset too if you spelled my name like that

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Cute cat though

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

because neutering doesn't usually solve behavior problems once they start.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
How long ago was he done? It takes months for the hormone levels to lower in a full adult after neutering. And as someone else noted, if the behaviour has been going on for a while they may continue it anyway.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Ratzap posted:

How long ago was he done? It takes months for the hormone levels to lower in a full adult after neutering. And as someone else noted, if the behaviour has been going on for a while they may continue it anyway.

We got him when he was eight months old. He'd been neutered before we got him. He is five years old now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It sounds like this cat is just an rear end in a top hat. Like you said, shock, awe, a siamese is an rear end in a top hat. If he's been doing this for that long, it probably isn't going to change without drugs/shitloads of training. Sorry guys. Kitty prozac maybe.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

First off, that is an absolutely gorgeous and beautiful kitty - the near-flawless colorpoint coat, the blue eyes, etc - truly a handsome devil you've got there. Are you sure he's really true Siamese? I mean he certainly has the colorpoint coat, but his head looks much more round and less angular, same with the eyes being a bit more angular. I mean he could still be Siamese but he looks like he could also be a Thai cat or something but I am also not at all an expert sooo yeah.

As for suggestions... It sounds like he *can* be a reasonable cat. But cats, well - they are assholes, almost universally, at least at times, Even the nicest cat in the world would make 'dick moves' to his owner I expect.

But that cat Myles... I can tell just from that picture that he is an absolute loving punk, to be perfectly frank, just by the fact that the little bastard ALREADY has his claws pulled back and sticking out and is just waiting to swipe something for being made to sit for that picture, or something. And I'm gonna be honest... There are basically two kinds of cats that I've known, and this determines how long it takes me to get along with them, and whether I'll end up with several deep scratches on my hands or arms before figuring them out. One is the type of cat goes around tightly wound up with their claws out, and never TRULY relax even when appearing to relax, often. The other kind is the (usually more fat) friendly cat that has never known or experienced any real danger and so goes around relaxed with their claws down rather than cocked and ready, and interacts with humans much more naturally.

These are the cats you can sometimes let use your hand as a cat toy - that's what I do with Jackie, she only leaves white lines that vanish in 20 minutes when I let her go fully all-out on hand, on her back kicking and biting and clawing - even if I try to make her mad she refuses to really do me any damage... The one and only times in 8 years she has ever given me a real scratch was the drama when I was trying to force Sardine into the Carrying Case of Doom to take her to the shelter. Stuff like that makes me realize that cats know so much more than they let on. I really honestly think they perceive us as big dumb beasts who are incapable of real communication, so they have to use primitive grunts to get us to do things rather than talking like normal (body language) like everyone else (other cats and mammals).

So I really don't think there is a solution, unfortunately - at least with the issue going on between these two cats. I think separating them completely for a period of time (not just overnight) might be a good thing.

Oh, I noticed you said THIS: " It's really random because he seems to be bipolar, he'll go from lovey-dovey cuddly to angry and lookin for a fight in no time flat, and vice versa".. You know about over-stimulation, right? Lots of cats can really only be petted/touched directly for a period of time that varies - say 30 seconds to 2 minutes - and once you go past that threshhold, they might just easily kinda lose it and go into 'rough play' mode or even 'defensive' mode for no reason. This can be tough for owners when they don't understand what's going on or why their cats sometimes goes crazy-aggressive while purring and being petted and sitting on your lap.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Cats are dicks; news at 11.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I too share my home with a handsome loving rear end in a top hat and tried every non-medical treatment I could find. My vet finally put him on anti-anxiety medication about two years ago (he is eight this year) and it has made a huuuuuge difference. It's not cheap, but it has made life much more bearable. He is also a FLUTD cat so the meds have also help alleviate the symptoms of that as well.

He's still an rear end in a top hat, but he doesn't act out without reason anymore.

Case in point: Here he is unplugging the TV in our room because we weren't getting out of bed quick enough to feed him one morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
My wife went to the pound to pick up some cat for a rescue group (which died of some kinda kitty cancer). As she was leaving with that one, one with a sign on the cage that said "Sweet, petite girl" was reaching out of its cage and crying. She asked about it, and they said it was about to be put down. So, the wife came home with 2 cats. The "sweet, petite girl" is now a huge 15 lbs male. It was neutered when we got it, but it still occasionally tries to bang the tiny female cat we have. He gets on top of her, bites at her neck, grinds on her a little bit, and yowls/complains out of frustration. He's otherwise chilled as can be. Never scratches or bites anyone, has some cute OCD type rituals he seems to have to go through, but that's it. He just can't seem to not try and bang the other cat.

The tiny female just kinda sits there with this bemused look as he stands over her, and occasionally looks back with a "wtf is this guy's problem" kinda look when he yowls in frustration, but otherwise seems to be a good sport about it.

• Locked thread